Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,396
Total Online: 612

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Closed Thread

Old May 9th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #26
rollerdave
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cybernotchback@May 9 2005, 11:00 AM
You know those little white packets that come in electronic and photo equipment, and medication, (silica gel/crystal packages)well they are great for keeping moisture out of your tool boxes. I even put a few of the bigger ones in a zipper seal plastic bag with my MIG welding wire spools to keep the wire from rusting. Works great!
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
If you pack your heater channels with them, your bug will stay fresh forever, and you can dry your driveway just by running your bug up and down it a few times! j/k.

Roller
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:34 PM   #27
Jon
Forum Member

You can get a big box of the dissectant stuff by buying the refill packs of "Damp Rid". It works the same way those little silica packs work.
Used to use it to dry out Mushrooms, just put them in a container with some of the stuff and seal the lid and they will be dehydrated in a day or twon with out any heat. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
So yeah that stuff is awesome.
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #28
RATRODVW
Forum Member

You can also get it at just about any well stocked paint jobber. They use it in dessicant dryers for air lines... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:22 PM   #29
cybernotchback
Forum Member

I know about buying silica packs commercially. I'm just frugal, (ok cheap) and don't like to throw usable stuff away [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Good to have more specific information though about where I can pick up larger quantities if needed.
Old May 9th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #30
georgiaboy
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cybernotchback@May 9 2005, 09:00 AM
You know those little white packets that come in electronic and photo equipment, and medication, (silica gel/crystal packages)well they are great for keeping moisture out of your tool boxes. I even put a few of the bigger ones in a zipper seal plastic bag with my MIG welding wire spools to keep the wire from rusting. Works great!
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>

i keep a couple inside my LN25 mig feeder works great..... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old May 9th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #31
georgiaboy
Forum Member

when the wife starts on you about your honeydo shit....................go to the frigidaire and get a coke and go work on your vw........................works for me...... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img].....................then if she follows you to shop..................then i guess you lick here fuckin knees.............. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #32
cybernotchback
Forum Member

BTT, (Shit this was on page 13!)

Try this for setting valves.

Find TDC for #1, both rockers/valves should be loose. If you're no sure do what Nickster said by pulling the plug, and checking for the piston. Set #1 valves, and before moving the engine, you can set ONE valve for #2 as well, (I think it's the intake valve, it's the one with the loose rocker/vavle). Again without moving the engine, pop the other valve cover off and you can also set ONE valve on #4, (I think it's the exhaust, again it's the one with the loose rocker/vavle). Ok, so now you have 4 total valves set of the 8.

NOW turn the engine 360, and do the valves for #3, (again the valves/rockers should be loose), and the remaining valves on 2, and 4, ONE each, (again 4 total). Done. I learned this trick form an old-time VW service tech, (Russ Wolf on Type3.org)
Closed Thread