Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,396
Total Online: 594

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Closed Thread

Old January 7th, 2004, 04:30 PM   #26
UncleBob
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lilbill@Jan 7 2004, 02:09 PM
did you get any history on who made the body?
I tried, but the owner knew nothing about it. Not a VW guy.
Old January 7th, 2004, 05:29 PM   #27
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

Looks like a regular '28-'29 Model A body.
Hard to tell if it's Steel or 'Glas from the pics.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old January 7th, 2004, 06:29 PM   #28
Nick
Forum Member

The guys said he wanted to finish it but "never finished it as I was approched by a man with a bag of money$$"... I tried to convince him to get to this forum, dunno if he would though.

Old January 8th, 2004, 12:13 AM   #29
UncleBob
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Unkl Ian@Jan 7 2004, 06:29 PM
Looks like a regular '28-'29 Model A body.
Hard to tell if it's Steel or 'Glas from the pics.
Oh, it's glass. I checked it over pretty good. Looked to be designed for VW chassis, solely. Has 'Ford' on rear engine cover.
Old January 9th, 2004, 09:52 AM   #30
gowjobs
Forum Member

Total Performance used to make a VW-based T-bucket kit called the "VX-23". I wonder if they still have the jigs/molds to build a frame/body for one. The body looks like a standard '23-'25 T roadster bucket, but I'll bet it had a proprietary interior tub to allow for more footroom up front and some clearance for the tranny nosecone in the back.

Dave

"When worse comes to worst...

..we're screwed"

Old January 9th, 2004, 10:47 AM   #31
dez
Forum Member

i really dont like it. its trying to hard to be something its not.
as nick says it needs to 'show its roots'. for me a volksrod should recognisibly be a vw, but with the same ideas and principles applied to early ford METAL (no fiberglass bodies, this makes it a kit car) applied to a different and more obtainable vehicle, to keep costs down, just as it was back in the day.

the rod in this thread is trying to be a t-bucket, i mean it even says ford on the back! that is what i dont like, rodders dont like (in general) and im not sure why anyone would find it desireable.

i have to aggree tho, the workmanship is very good!
Old January 9th, 2004, 11:38 AM   #32
hotrodheb
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dez@Jan 9 2004, 11:47 AM
as nick says it needs to 'show its roots'. for me a volksrod should recognisibly be a vw, but with the same ideas and principles applied to early ford METAL (no fiberglass bodies, this makes it a kit car) applied to a different and more obtainable vehicle, to keep costs down, just as it was back in the day.

the rod in this thread is trying to be a t-bucket, i mean it even says ford on the back! that is what i dont like, rodders dont like (in general) and im not sure why anyone would find it desireable.

I agree about the one with the engine hidden behind the mock spare tire. The car that this thread was started about looks like it would have the engine completely exposed, so it would be wearing it's heritage with pride!

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

Old January 9th, 2004, 12:17 PM   #33
gowjobs
Forum Member

I think it is what it is - the T-bucket is a T-bucket, but it's powered by a VW engine instead of a small-block Chevy or a Buick nailhead. That Model-A abomination is another matter, and should either be burned to the ground, or converted to a wheelstander, IMHO.

Dave

"When worse comes to worst...

..we're screwed"

Old January 9th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #34
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

not sure about the total performance T kit.....doesnt ring a bell. I live only about 30 miles from their place....sounds like an investigatory trip may be in order. They are at all the local big shows and swaps. Let's not forget Walt's car. I doubt, you would badmouth that "T-bucket wanna-be"......would you [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif[/img]

where do you think the term VOLKSROD came from????? :o
Old January 9th, 2004, 04:36 PM   #35
dez
Forum Member

i think youre missing the point a bit. yeah you can tell wot iti is by the engine sticking out the back, but its the features such like having 'ford' moulded into the fiberglass shell, and the dummy rad grille on the front. why not have a beetle bonnet and front quarters, to show what it really is. i like the way the rear spring has been done, but i think that this is rather pointless too. you cant really see it due to the engine, and im pretty sure that the car will hadle worse than if it had stock style torsion bar suspension.
add to that that i hate fiberglass rods (and cars) in general, in my opinion a fiberglass bodied rod is not a hot rod.

as for the 'volksrod' thing, i believe that was the trade name for a company making these godawful things. in my mind this is not the orgin of the word. 'volksrod' is a combination of the words 'volkswagen' and 'hotrod', thus implying a volkswagen based hotrod.
after all, everyone refers to a 'coke' as a 'coke', when that in fact is a trade name for a certain company in the market of manufacting a soft drink produced from vegitable extracts, along with a lot of others who fall into the same category (pepsi, etc.)

as for walts car, which ones that??? if i dont like a car, i dont pussyfoot around pretending to like it, ile say i dont like it, and ile also say why!
Old January 9th, 2004, 06:31 PM   #36
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

http://www.walts.info/Volks-Rod%20Home.htm [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img]
Old January 9th, 2004, 07:26 PM   #37
Unkl Ian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>and im pretty sure that the car will hadle worse than if it had stock style torsion bar suspension.
[/b][/quote]
The wheels don't know what type of spring you are using,
only how stiff it is and how it is dampened.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>why not have a beetle bonnet and front quarters, to show what it really is. [/b][/quote]

About the only parts on the whole car that are VW are the engine,trans,and steering box.The front axle and spindles are Ford.Tthe rad shell,front and rear springs,and body are reproduction Ford.Everything else is handmade.

If anyone looked at the galleries Nick posted,they would realize this guy has built more VWs than some people have seen.If he wanted it to look like a Beetle,he would have built another Beetle.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old January 9th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #38
Unkl Ian

The work of Darrel Mayab:

From decorides.com

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old January 10th, 2004, 05:25 AM   #39
type3rod
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dez@Jan 9 2004, 11:47 AM

Are you saying you dont like the original posted pic or the last one???? Personaly I like the first better. I think it all matters on what the person can afford.If somone,like Cliff, cant afford a high dollar rod then they make do with a vw powered custom. As far as the fiberglass deal,the first pic I dig. I mean the guy made it from nothing,thats pretty impresive. I know everyone has there own opinions on cars and such but even if its not "to your liking" you got to be impressed by his custom work. I like your honesty though.
Old January 10th, 2004, 05:26 AM   #40
type3rod
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Unkl Ian@Jan 9 2004, 08:29 PM
The work of Darrel Mayab:

From decorides.com
thats pimpin [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smokin.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/licklips.gif[/img] !!!
Old January 10th, 2004, 06:32 AM   #41
lilbill
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Unkl Ian@Jan 9 2004, 08:26 PM

The wheels don't know what type of spring you are using,
only how stiff it is and how it is dampened.

bzzzzzzzz-wrong B)
not all springs (or methods of springing) are created equal. besides "stiffness" there is "rate". also some springs will actually release more energy than is applied to them. also different methods of suspending a chassis on it's wheels contribute to the handling characteristics of the vehicle.
a lot of these custom cars have scratch built or modified chassis' that look bitchin' but would be pure shit (or extremly dangerous) to drive.
the same can be said about the new wave of "choppers". i've riden bikes like you see on american chopper and monster garage and they handle like crap. the front end geometry combined with the long swept back bars give them a "wiggly" feeling. in the real world of street riding you are constantly dodging idiot car drivers, pot holes and road debris plus rain slick roads, gravel etc. those killer looking choppers lack the agility and control to do any of that. i've put THOUSANDS of miles on old school style choppers (only slightly better) and thousands more on stock bikes of all kinds so i know where at i speaketh. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smokin.gif[/img]
i hate to keep repeating myself but for the benifit of newbys and folks here that are new to the custom car hobby:
MODIFYING A VEHICLES CHASSIS IN ANY WAY CAN BE EXTREMLY DANGEROUS IF NOT DONE PROPERLY ! !
now having shouted that let me add that it is also possible to improve a vehicles handling characteristics by modification IF it is done PROPERLY. that means read some books on the subject and learn how this shit really works. don't just go by pictures you see in magazines.

(BTW uncl, i'm not slammin' you. but there are a lot of young guys and folks that aren't really mechanicly minded that need to learn there is more to this hobby than bling-bling. )
Old January 10th, 2004, 08:59 AM   #42
papastype1
Forum Member

Thanks for that Yardstore site. Great stuff.
Old January 10th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #43
aircoolednewf
Forum Member

I sold a super - t a few months ago, it was simalar to the first pic, kinda a mix of a buggy and a rod t bucket type of thing. it was verry cool. i will try to find the pics and post them. I got a 57 pontiac wagon and two scooters for it. I solt the wagon also.
Old January 10th, 2004, 10:29 AM   #44
dez
Forum Member

i cant beleeeeve anyone would think all types of suspension are similar in performance. the leaf spring is stone age to say the least, and is only really any good for carrying big loads. compared to the macpherson strut, torsion bar, or coilover oil, or wishbone systems it is absolutely crap.

as i said before, im not slagging of his work as its done to a very high standard, its the concept and design i dont like.

as for price, theres no reason why he couldnt have built a traditional stylr front engine rear wheel drive rod for exactly the same price, as its very easy to pick up a v8, autobox, prop and rear axle for the same price as the vw stuff hes used.

[quote]About the only parts on the whole car that are VW are the engine,trans,and steering box.The front axle and spindles are Ford.Tthe rad shell,front and rear springs,and body are reproduction Ford.Everything else is handmade.

my point exactly. why have a rad shell? it doesnt do anything!!! the springs and suspension are a downgrade on the vw system (not independent, not as compliant, not as progressive)
Old January 10th, 2004, 11:54 AM   #45
Dutch VeeRod
Forum Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/confused.gif[/img] Why not a Rad Shell? When you start modifying a car: when or where do you stop? In my opinion there is no end or stop. It all depents what the man wants to create. Why does it have to look like a beetle? I like people that create something new. If i like the cars they create is not depending on how many vw parts they used. Is a flat black beetle that is lowered, chopped and what ever can be done to the body and mounted with a watercooler, porsche gearbox and brakes and coil-overs a VolksRod? I think yes..............or not................does it matter?????????? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img] Thank god not everybody has the same idees or thoughts. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/stoned.gif[/img]

"De Konjel" Beetle BAJA V6 4X4 Syncro project

http://www.facebook.com/index.php#!/...andenbosch.501
Old January 10th, 2004, 12:06 PM   #46
Ryan
Capt A's super package

ah.... i think if it has a fist full of attitude and some vw parts... its a volksrod.
So don't tell me that I wouldn't drive to VT to pick up a rusted piece of shit.~scott76
Quote:
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.~steve
Random stuff I am looking for: Dont think there is anything at the moment
www.solar4soldiers.org (I am starting a non-profit to put solar panels on to disabled veterans homes. PM me for more details)
Old January 10th, 2004, 04:14 PM   #47
Roadster Cliff
Forum Member

If somone,like Cliff, cant afford a high dollar rod then they make do with a vw powered custom

I hate to spring it on you but the Hiboy wasn't any cheaper than going with a '32 Ford Hiboy. I could have bought a crate 350/350 engine and trans for what the 2276 and transaxle cost. The upholstry was the same deal as was the body work, paint chrome, tires and wheels. I built this car to show that anything is possible to do, even building a hotrod out of the lowly VW bug. Even so, some people HATE the car and wonder why I wasted so much money and time on it. To each his own.

Roadster Cliff
Old January 10th, 2004, 05:17 PM   #48
type3rod
Forum Member

My bad Cliff!!! I thought in an earlier post thats what you said,guess I was wrong. I would have thought that just getting a 32 ford body alone would be a bit pricey thats all. Still a sweet ass car non the less! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old January 10th, 2004, 05:20 PM   #49
type3rod
Forum Member

This is why I said that a vw would be less pricy.32 ford highboy on e-bay
Old January 10th, 2004, 05:54 PM   #50
bugnut
Forum Member

I guess Bruce Myers and Barry were all wet. They only sold like hot cakes and didn't look a damn thing like a beatle. Good thing they didn't have to sell the thousands of bodies they built and the thousands of other copies in England. And just think they were built of that hated fiberglas. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img]

La Luz, New Mexico
Closed Thread