Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,396
Total Online: 576

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Closed Thread

Old May 14th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #1
alltypesvw
Forum Member

ok so i went to a pawn shop because the guy quoted me $25.00 for a makita angle grinder over the phone.. well i get there and he was mistaken.. it's an electric dual action sander... my question is this:

Would that be usefull for body work and polishing paint?
25 seemed like a pretty good price, but I was looking for a grinder so i didn't go for it.
he had a fairly new makita angle grinder too but he wanted 55 for it and I was looking to spend 35-40... am I aiming too low?
Old May 14th, 2004, 03:18 PM   #2
Nick
Forum Member

Angle grinders do not make for a good polisher/sander. If you want polisher/sander, get a polisher/sander made to polish/sand. Get the angle grinder for grinding, metal cutting. Price wise seems good IMO.

Old May 14th, 2004, 03:31 PM   #3
alltypesvw
Forum Member

that he offered me item one, which he thought was an angle grinder, for 25.00 item one was actually a dual action sander.... will this polish well

on the sales floor I found item two, which actually was an angle grinder, for 59.00 but I was able to talk him down to 55.00 .... I didn't think that was a good price.. was i wrong?

I didn't buy anything today because I was hoping to spend 35.00 to 40.00

1) was that a good price for the angle grinder? 55.00?
2) will the dual action sander be good for polishing out paint on other projects?
3) is 25.00 a good price for a used dual action sander?
Old May 14th, 2004, 03:33 PM   #4
RATRODVW
Forum Member

If you meant the da, I would save my money and get an air powered sander. As for a buffer polisher, get a cheap one. We sell $350 polishers that bodyshops use for a week. And that's a Black and Decker. So go to Harbor Freight and get the $100 polisher. You probably won't use it enough to really need a good one. Harbor Freight also sells a air DA for around $25-$30. I've heard of people bitching about theirs lasting a couple of hours, but I've had mine for over two years without any problems. Just keep it oiled and if it starts to shake really bad LOOKOUT. I've seen the pads come off those sanders pretty violently. One of the most common problems with DA's is people use them at too high an air pressure and spin 'em too fast. Hope this helps, and if you want a good deal on a sander or polisher, or any other bodyshop tool PM me and I'll see what I can do. Maybe one can "fall off" the shelves at my work. ;)
Old May 14th, 2004, 03:39 PM   #5
alltypesvw
Forum Member

I have an ingersol rand air DA but can't really use it because I'm too cheap to have my huge-o-tron air compressor hooked up (I'm trying to move out of my apartment into a place with space for a shop and can't see paying an electrician to hook the beast up for just a couple of months) so the makita electric da seems like a good deal... it's a makita, to me that seems like a quality tool.
seems like a good price.. am I wrong?

hell I have grinders and angle griders coming out my butt.. however they're all air tools .... so I'm looking for a short term electric equivalent.... anybody know the price range on makita grinders?
Old May 14th, 2004, 03:48 PM   #6
RATRODVW
Forum Member

Check this out.

search makita
Old May 14th, 2004, 03:51 PM   #7
railroad_foreman69
Forum Member

If u can use it, buy it!!! Anything with the Makita name for less than 75 bucks is a bargain in my neck of the woods !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 14th, 2004, 03:53 PM   #8
alltypesvw
Forum Member

man.. now I have to go back and write down the model number.. I can't tell the difference between them from the pictures. bugger

thanks for the link tho
Old May 14th, 2004, 04:45 PM   #9
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

my makita angle grinder is my favorite and most used tool.....grinding, cutting, sanding, if i dont feel like listening to the compressor, it's my everything tool.
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #10
p-nor
Forum Member

i'm kind of cheap, $55 seems high for an unguaranteed grinder. as i always say, "the bay will provide".....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...4302151257&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3815516356&rd=1

there's always tons of them on there, dewalt and milwaukee too.

paul

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
Old May 14th, 2004, 06:59 PM   #11
Nick
Forum Member

I got my Black&Decker angle grinder for $45ish, been using the hell out of it. I'd trust a Makita over B&D so at that price I'd buy it. It is the most heavily used tool I have, I grind/cut more then I weld, so to me that's a small price to pay for something that usefull [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I use a 4.5" grinder though, the ones on ebay are 4", so prices will vary on different sizes.

Old May 14th, 2004, 09:15 PM   #12
mcotie
Forum Member

Just bought a Makita 4" angle grinder for $55 at Menards.