Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,396
Total Online: 601

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Closed Thread

Old June 7th, 2004, 11:23 PM   #51
dayzwalker
Forum Member

Thanks guyz, guess I'll just get in there and dismantle it and it will become more clear to me. Thanks for the info! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

A Fetivus for the Rest-iv-us

Old June 8th, 2004, 08:15 AM   #52
pistolpete76
Pinstriper Extraordinaire

youll see just like me that it couldnt be any easier once you pull it out and know what parts your working with, this whole post will now be a good one for later when someone searches for a custom rat fink style shifter. plenty of picks and options.
Old June 8th, 2004, 08:32 AM   #53
PAPA_SMURF
Forum Member

Hey Pete, How did you bend the shifter. Did you use a torch or can you just stick it in a vice? I dont have a torch. And yeah wish that was my bug.

66 schwinn, 04 Jetta
https://www.facebook.com/joe.lynch.739
vwclubofhawaii.ning.com
Old June 8th, 2004, 08:35 AM   #54
pistolpete76

them sfiters are heavy duty man, i bent mine at the base, doing it without heat will probably snap it up where it is thinner. i put mine in a vice, i only had a propane torch to use to heat it up, they are cheap. and i heated it for quite a while then just pulled it back a little, it didnt need much either so its not a big deal. you may be able to fluck it without heat but be careful of bending or cracking it where you dont want to
Old June 8th, 2004, 09:42 PM   #55
Ryan
Capt A's super package

alright a question for the bus crowd then.... my bus hurst doesnt have the little piece sticking out of it... I WILL RUN THE HURST!!!! what can i do? will not having that little piece fuck stuff up?
So don't tell me that I wouldn't drive to VT to pick up a rusted piece of shit.~scott76
Quote:
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.~steve
Random stuff I am looking for: Dont think there is anything at the moment
www.solar4soldiers.org (I am starting a non-profit to put solar panels on to disabled veterans homes. PM me for more details)
Old June 9th, 2004, 03:37 AM   #56
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

crack - if you mean the pin.....yea you need it, or when you go to shift, the shifter will rotate and put you knuckles into the windshield or your passengers face (been there, done that, got the t-shirt)
Old June 9th, 2004, 05:30 PM   #57
pistolpete76

whats the shirt look like dan lol. hey man, if your missing the pin, make one for it, it just has to tap in ther eand stick out far enough to catch in that notch down there, easy stuff
Old June 9th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #58
type3rod
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vwfanatic@Jun 9 2004, 03:37 AM
crack - if you mean the pin.....yea you need it, or when you go to shift, the shifter will rotate and put you knuckles into the windshield or your passengers face (been there, done that, got the t-shirt)
I need to put a pin in mine cause im sick of the damn thing turning around and the bend facing the other way!!!!!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/fingerclear.gif[/img] Ok I vented back to the topic.
Old June 9th, 2004, 06:29 PM   #59
Ryan
Capt A's super package

dont have time to do that yet.... i guess i will just run my stock bus shifter and toss in the hurst for fun. i would rather not punch the whore.... she hits back
So don't tell me that I wouldn't drive to VT to pick up a rusted piece of shit.~scott76
Quote:
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.~steve
Random stuff I am looking for: Dont think there is anything at the moment
www.solar4soldiers.org (I am starting a non-profit to put solar panels on to disabled veterans homes. PM me for more details)
Old July 27th, 2004, 12:00 PM   #60
cdubvdub
Forum Member

ive been reading all of this and am still not sure what i need. I have a 72 standard so what year bus shifter do i need. And do all of them have the pin in them? or just certian years. thanks
Old July 27th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #61
pistolpete76

id advise ya to take your shifter out, lift up your carpet, take two bolts out and check it out, i am not sure myself of that year, one way to check is to see what style yours is, then look online at cip1.com and check a bus shifter pic of the same year, then go to a swap meet and grab one for $5 like me. maybe your local VW shop could check it for you putting the bus and bug shifter together in the store
Old September 28th, 2004, 04:02 AM   #62
slodown
Forum Member

pics of another extended shifter

Old May 31st, 2005, 05:43 PM   #63
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I know almost everyone here is a welder or their brother's neighbor's dog can weld but for anyone that doesn't have access to a welder...I'm making up a few long shifters right now (well, this week anyway) If you want one they're $50 shipped in the continental US. I'm just doing solid round bar for that price but I can do others if requested. I have some chain and rebar also. I have 3/8", 1/2", and 5/8" round bar and can do any length. I don't have any short shift kits right now so you'll have to get your own. I can do rusty and ratty or painted. If you want chrome you'll have to do that yourself. I'm open to suggestions. If you want something just let me know and I'll tell you if I can do it or not. I may take a stab at chain steering wheels soon, maybe not. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]

OK, here's what I make. I take a stock 68+ bug shifter and take the little ball & spring out of the bottom. I cut the shifter off where the tubing meets the solid part (about 1/2" from the fulcrum ball thingy) Then, I weld the new shaft to that and grind it back smooth. Then I cut the threaded part off the stock shifter and weld it to the new shaft and grind it down. This way you still have the stock threads. Then, I just put a roll pin into the hole in the bottom. I will JB weld the roll pin in for you (sorry Dan) and I leave it a little long so you can trim it or leave it long if you want. I am a certified welder and I guarantee the welds won't break (no guarantee on chain shifter unless it is welded all the way around). Guarantee is limited to repair or replacement, NO CASH REFUNDS. and you would have to pay to ship it back to me, I'll pay to ship it back to you. But I don't think anyone will ever have to use the guarantee.

Long shifter #2 & chain shifter (in progress)

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
Old May 31st, 2005, 07:18 PM   #64
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

BTW, I take paypal (bugdust70@aol.com) or postal money orders. I may also be interested in trades. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
Old June 2nd, 2005, 10:56 PM   #65
Redman76
Forum Member

Have any of you guys had problems tranny wise with your tall shifters?
I know the higher you go the more strain your putting on the linkage. I would like to go as high or a little bit higher than "juschopit's" set up

and if it does any hints on how to reenforce it so a meat head like me can still have a narly shifter and not have to fix it every other day? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smokin.gif[/img]

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6734
Old June 3rd, 2005, 12:59 PM   #66
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

That's a good question. I haven't put any miles on a long shifter yet so I don't know. I have a bus Scat shifter in my 69 but haven't put any miles on it either. I've heard that if you drive with your hand resting on the shifter it can cause premature wear but I don't know that for sure, only something I heard. A bus has a longer shifter (okay, not as long) and I've never heard anything about it causing problems in a bus. Plus, I would think that adding the quick-shift kit would help since it reduces the throw and keeps the shifter more vertical than without it. It may still be leaning more than stock but I can't say if it would make a differance.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]

Quote:
Old June 3rd, 2005, 07:08 PM   #67
Scott H
Forum Member

I've wondered the same thing about the long shifters.

Quote:
Originally posted by bugdust@Jun 3 2005, 04:59 PM
I've heard that if you drive with your hand resting on the shifter it can cause premature wear but I don't know that for sure, only something I heard.
That's even in the owner's manual, Charlie:
http://1302super.com/i_manual/p33.html
Second paragraph in the far right column.
member #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-nor View Post
sliding volksrod discount, depending on how much i like you.
Closed Thread

Tags
tall shifter