Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,396
Total Online: 609

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Closed Thread

Old June 29th, 2004, 11:03 AM   #51
walt
Forum Member

I've got the tranny and axles but I've never had them in so I hope every thing works.

If you guys want to spend a weekend and put it together let me know. I'm ready [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/fingerclear.gif[/img] Woops Wrong finger [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I'm bilingual.......I talk to men and women

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Car Build Thread
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
(RIGHT click and choose SAVE TARGET AS and download to your PC)
Movie1
Movie2
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:06 AM   #52
walt
Forum Member

I should also mention that if I get to keep the car when it's finished, I'll supply a ford front axle for it.

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:06 AM   #53
RATRODVW
Forum Member

What are you doing this weekend? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] I don't work and I'm sure my dad would be happy to get that sheetmetal out of his side yard.
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #54
walt
Forum Member

My plan is to stay home and work around the house but if you guys want to get together I can change my plans.

Oh and we will also need a stinger for the merged exhaust. All I have is a Mondo muffler and that's much too quite. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:12 AM   #55
walt
Forum Member

If we're going to do this , it should be a time when we can all participate so that we can come up with how we're going to cut it.

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:12 AM   #56
ratlook63
Forum Member

hey, when you guys find a donor let me know if you need anything for it, id be more than happy to see what I can do since there is no chance I could make it out there

If you make it to beer 6 without cutting anything you need to be doing something else." - MrChainsaw

Wanted:
Split tail lights. Repop ok!
Split dash pods or measurements to make my own. Repop ok!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Band
http://www.myspace.com/safetynautguaranteed
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:18 AM   #57
RATRODVW
Forum Member

What size flange is the merged header? I have a stinger possibly. It's got a cut down baffle (probably 6") so it's REAL loud. B) It'd probably make your motor sound like a 454 or somethin' [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:35 AM   #58
walt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RATRODVW@Jun 29 2004, 11:18 AM
What size flange is the merged header? I have a stinger possibly. It's got a cut down baffle (probably 6") so it's REAL loud. B) It'd probably make your motor sound like a 454 or somethin' [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
I think that it's a Kymco header I'll have to measure it. If the stinger you have is a real junker we can just weld it to the header.

It'd probably make your motor sound like a 454 or somethin' [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:40 AM   #59
RATRODVW
Forum Member

C'mon it's a stinger!! I'll donate it to the cause, even though it's not really a junker. I can't run one with the exhaust I've got now anyway, so fuck it. They're like $15 new. I should say I'll donate it as long as "W72 Performance" is GAY-run-teeeed. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:42 AM   #60
dayzwalker
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by walt@Jun 29 2004, 12:12 PM
If we're going to do this , it should be a time when we can all participate so that we can come up with how we're going to cut it.
we should all definately sit down and look at our weekends coming up in the next month or so...so that we can ALL come together, up at Walt's?, for a good sitdown and planning session. There is nothing worse than coming into something unprepared. I could come up next weekend, and then not till aug.

Thanks for the offer up of your 65 Walt. Looks like with the addition of ratrod's fenders, hood, decklid we'll be all set for our body. Hows the wheels/tires on the body Walt? and whats the interior look like? We haven't really talked much about any designs for the interior yet. I'd like to hear what you guys have in mind. I was thinking of doing a a bench front seat design. Just move the rear up front. I think somebody had mentioned it earlier maybe...had an idea of how to just move the mounts w/ it...? Then either reposition the ebrake way up front on the tunnel, under the dash, just for asthetics or fully functional...or just say fuk it and toss it.

A Fetivus for the Rest-iv-us

Old June 29th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #61
RATRODVW
Forum Member

I've got wheels and whitewalls, I just need to get tires for them. They are widened stockers painted pearl yellow. And 3" whitewalls. I was going to put 205/70s on them for the back of my car, but I'll modify that if I need to. I will repeat this now- I WILL need the wheels and tires back after the show, cause they're for my car, and they cost WAY too much to find, have stripped, straightened, and painted. But they are offered up for the show, and they would look awesome on something fenderless!
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:52 AM   #62
walt
Forum Member

It has stock roller wheels and thires on it. I have a set of old origanal five spoke(not american) wheels and tires 15x4 front and 15x81/2 rear with chevy bolt pattern. they are old looking so they might be OK but if someone wanted to come up with some spokers or something that might be better.

Oh and seats.....We don't need no stinking seats. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] I that's something else we will need. I might be able to quick fab some bomber seats but we should have some stockers to start with.

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #63
RATRODVW
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dayzwalker@Jun 29 2004, 12:42 PM

and whats the interior look like? We haven't really talked much about any designs for the interior yet. I'd like to hear what you guys have in mind. I was thinking of doing a a bench front seat design. Just move the rear up front. I think somebody had mentioned it earlier maybe...had an idea of how to just move the mounts w/ it...? Then either reposition the ebrake way up front on the tunnel, under the dash, just for asthetics or fully functional...or just say fuk it and toss it.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>[/b][/quote]

Interior? INTERIOR!?!?This ain't no Mercedes, man! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] No, I like the bench seat idea, too. When I do mine, I'm going to basically section a stock seat, and insert a length of apropriately sized tubing to widen the whole deal. That way in my car it will still fold forward. Two stock seats and some tubing and the whole thing could be done. With careful measuring, it could even go onto the stock rails, and be adjustable. Cover the whole thing with a mexican blanket, make some mexican blanket door panels and bam! Instant hotrod. I've got a pretty small, cheezy looking tach to donate for the car, and I may have an old EMPI shifter we could cut up and extend. Then we could have Pistolpete stripe a knob w/ the volksrods.com logo for the finishing touch.
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #64
walt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RATRODVW@Jun 29 2004, 11:48 AM
I've got wheels and whitewalls, I just need to get tires for them. They are widened stockers painted pearl yellow. And 3" whitewalls. I was going to put 205/70s on them for the back of my car, but I'll modify that if I need to. I will repeat this now- I WILL need the wheels and tires back after the show, cause they're for my car, and they cost WAY too much to find, have stripped, straightened, and painted. But they are offered up for the show, and they would look awesome on something fenderless!
I've got a set of 275-50- 15 and a set of 165r 15 that I could take off the five spokes . The 50 series tires may be too modern for the car. I can look in the shed and see what else I have.

Oh and thanks for the wheels they'll bee really cool on my car. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #65
dayzwalker
Forum Member

well, I'll have the 16" wires on my car that I'd be willing to give up for the day, but then were talkin wheel adapters or having the drums drilled out. Which theoretically we could just do that day! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif[/img] Then what will I drive [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crybaby.gif[/img] I also have another 2 that are just waiting to be mounted on something.

A Fetivus for the Rest-iv-us

Old June 29th, 2004, 12:00 PM   #66
RATRODVW
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by walt@Jun 29 2004, 12:58 PM

Oh and thanks for the wheels they'll bee really cool on my car. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>[/b][/quote] I'll trade ya for the motor! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] C'mon they already match!
Old June 29th, 2004, 12:04 PM   #67
walt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dayzwalker@Jun 29 2004, 11:58 AM
well, I'll have the 16" wires on my car that I'd be willing to give up for the day, but then were talkin wheel adapters or having the drums drilled out. Which theoretically we could just do that day! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif[/img] Then what will I drive [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crybaby.gif[/img] I also have another 2 that are just waiting to be mounted on something.
Dude.....It's more important that your car is there. Your not going to use that as an excuse why you can't bring it.. Get it going. But maybe we could high-jack the wheels at the last minute.

And OK so maybe I've gotta build some adapters.

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old June 29th, 2004, 03:39 PM   #68
RATRODVW
Forum Member

Okay, so we have 6 hours to do it at the show, so I think we should bring as many finished assemblies as possible (seat, beam, steering/brakes, etc.) 6 hours is pretty tight time-wise, so we should cut as many corners as we can without being too obvious about it.
Old June 29th, 2004, 04:16 PM   #69
Jon
Forum Member

Hey if your gonna chop it in a day why not make it a little easier on your selves and do the one roof chop. Just cut the a A&B pillars out and yank down hard on the roof. bend the windsheild back and the post inwards and outwards on the top. Line it up and weld it up. then cut and piece the B pillars and your done. The Qtr. panel will flex but will not buckle. I tested this out and it works. It will give you a slanted 60's, 70's style drag sedan look with a leaned back windshield. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
I am thinking about chopping mine this way as I figure it could look cool with a serious rake and no fenders.

This way to you don't have to bring any extra roofs..... just built completley out of what you brought with you.

Also I had a idea on moving the pedals back. Have you considered one of those Dunebuggy pedal mounts ? They cost like $15 and all you'll need to do is run sme sorta tube for the clutch and throttle. Oh yeah and a extended piece of brake line or to the master cylinder.
For the throttle you could just use the HD throttle cable kit that comes with tubing. For the Clutch I am not sure maybe some steel or copper tubing that will work for a little while maybe you could even cut into the tunnel and run stragiht into the the stock clutch tube just clean the burrs and flair your cut tubing.

Just a Thought as i wish I could help. I hope this does help as it will cut some time and work out of the job for you.
Old June 29th, 2004, 05:45 PM   #70
walt
Forum Member

I'm going to try to post a pic of my 65 that we would have to work with. That way you guys can see what we would be up against. Here goes wish me luck.

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old June 29th, 2004, 05:52 PM   #71
walt
Forum Member

Wow ...I'm amazed that it worked.
I talked to a friend of mine today that said he would love to photograph the whole thing. His name is Mike Bishop. Maybe some of you guys have heard of him. He wrote for American Rodder, Streetrodder and others and he has written many how to books. His latest has been on the best seller list for over a year. Some of you may have seen the book called( How To Build A traditional Hotrod). Any how he said that he would be delighted to do a photo shoot while we build. He didn't know exactly where he would market the feature but he'd find a mag. somewhere that would want it.

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old June 29th, 2004, 05:57 PM   #72
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

Mike is a Cool guy,a real Gearhead who knows his stuff. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
He knows the magazine business too,and if I remember correctly,
he used to own a Beetle.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old June 29th, 2004, 07:18 PM   #73
walt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Unkl Ian@Jun 29 2004, 05:57 PM
Mike is a Cool guy,a real Gearhead who knows his stuff. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
He knows the magazine business too,and if I remember correctly,
he used to own a Beetle.
I think that Mike has owned at least one of everything made. Have you seen or read his Book?
I got honorable mention for building the side pipes for that car.

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old June 30th, 2004, 07:37 AM   #74
RATRODVW
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by walt@Jun 29 2004, 06:52 PM
I talked to a friend of mine today that said he would love to photograph the whole thing. His name is Mike Bishop. Maybe some of you guys have heard of him. He wrote for American Rodder, Streetrodder and others and he has written many how to books. His latest has been on the best seller list for over a year. Some of you may have seen the book called( How To Build A traditional Hotrod). Any how he said that he would be delighted to do a photo shoot while we build. He didn't know exactly where he would market the feature but he'd find a mag. somewhere that would want it.

Doesn't Mike Bishop drive a flamed late model Impala? Isn't his studio next door to or around where the California Hardbodies are/were/hang out/get naked? I always remember hearing his name and California Hardbodies in the same sentence. Lucky S.O.B.
Old June 30th, 2004, 10:44 AM   #75
walt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RATRODVW+Jun 30 2004, 07:37 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RATRODVW @ Jun 30 2004, 07:37 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-walt@Jun 29 2004, 06:52 PM

Doesn't Mike Bishop drive a flamed late model Impala? Isn't his studio next door to or around where the California Hardbodies are/were/hang out/get naked? I always remember hearing his name and California Hardbodies in the same sentence. Lucky S.O.B. [/b][/quote]
No that's gotta be somebody else. Mike drives a 1949 ford f-1 with a flat motor, wide whites etc.

But I'll bet he wishes he was the other guy. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Closed Thread