Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,396
Total Online: 610

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Closed Thread

Old June 30th, 2004, 10:48 AM   #76
RATRODVW
Forum Member

I think your '65 is pretty workable. It's not that bad. It's also better than my buddies '60. MUCH better.
Old June 30th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #77
walt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RATRODVW@Jun 30 2004, 10:48 AM
I think your '65 is pretty workable. It's not that bad. It's also better than my buddies '60. MUCH better.
The best part of the 65 is that it really has no rust to speek of. (Easy welding) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] But it would be better if we had a car that was a little more complete to start with. But if we can scronge enough parts we'll be fine.

By the way....do we have someone that can paint the Volksrod.com on the side?

I'm bilingual.......I talk to men and women

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Car Build Thread
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
(RIGHT click and choose SAVE TARGET AS and download to your PC)
Movie1
Movie2
Old June 30th, 2004, 11:16 AM   #78
RATRODVW
Forum Member

I can get my buddy to make a stencil with his vinyl cutter, and we can bring'em to the show and rattle-bomb them on! Then we can stripe it!
Old June 30th, 2004, 11:21 AM   #79
walt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RATRODVW@Jun 30 2004, 11:16 AM
I can get my buddy to make a stencil with his vinyl cutter, and we can bring'em to the show and rattle-bomb them on! Then we can stripe it!
what's this (we)....you got a turd in your pocket. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
I couldn't stripe anything with pin striping tape.

If you got no talent, you gotta make up for it with technique. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old June 30th, 2004, 11:27 AM   #80
ratlook63
Forum Member

Hey Walt, what is missing from the '65? Looks like a real nice solid car. Hope ya'll can get this together! Got anypicture of this guys F-1? I late 40's early 50's ford trucks such a classy look.

If you make it to beer 6 without cutting anything you need to be doing something else." - MrChainsaw

Wanted:
Split tail lights. Repop ok!
Split dash pods or measurements to make my own. Repop ok!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Band
http://www.myspace.com/safetynautguaranteed
Old June 30th, 2004, 11:30 AM   #81
RATRODVW
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by walt+Jun 30 2004, 12:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walt @ Jun 30 2004, 12:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-RATRODVW@Jun 30 2004, 11:16 AM
what's this (we)....you got a turd in your pocket. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

If you got no talent, you gotta make up for it with technique. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] [/b][/quote]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>[/b][/quote]

We can let you have a crayon.
Old June 30th, 2004, 11:35 AM   #82
walt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ratlook63@Jun 30 2004, 11:27 AM
Hey Walt, what is missing from the '65? Looks like a real nice solid car. Hope ya'll can get this together! Got anypicture of this guys F-1? I late 40's early 50's ford trucks such a classy look.
We still need seats. I think that we have lined up the front fenders, hood ,and deck lid and I'm not sure about the rear fenders. Wheels and tires are still up in the air but I think Ratrodvw has us covered. The only other thing that I can think of that we'll need is some head and tail lites.
I don't have any pics of Mikes truck but I think that there are some posted on the HAMB.

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old June 30th, 2004, 11:39 AM   #83
walt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RATRODVW+Jun 30 2004, 11:30 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RATRODVW @ Jun 30 2004, 11:30 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by walt@Jun 30 2004, 12:21 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-RATRODVW
Quote:
@Jun 30 2004, 11:16 AM

If you got no talent, you gotta make up for it with technique. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>[/b][/quote]

We can let you have a crayon. [/b][/quote]
Shoot......I can't even stay in the lines with a crayon. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yelling.gif[/img]

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old June 30th, 2004, 11:39 AM   #84
RATRODVW
Forum Member

I've also got two sets of tailights one early one chrome empi gt-v chrome ones, that are '62 style. I might be able to get headlights too, but I'll hafta check.
Old June 30th, 2004, 01:37 PM   #85
dayzwalker
Forum Member

Right now I'm running a set of chromed king bee sealed headlamps that are coming off my car in a couple weeks for a nice set of tribar H4 untis. I'll donate the King Bees to the construction [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] I also have all 4 of my fenders that I ripped of my chopper. They are all early style, unsure of year. They're white, if that even matters [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img] We can use the rears, or all 4 while were at it...but I'll need em back ;)

A Fetivus for the Rest-iv-us

Old June 30th, 2004, 03:16 PM   #86
walt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dayzwalker@Jun 30 2004, 01:37 PM
Right now I'm running a set of chromed king bee sealed headlamps that are coming off my car in a couple weeks for a nice set of tribar H4 untis. I'll donate the King Bees to the construction [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] I also have all 4 of my fenders that I ripped of my chopper. They are all early style, unsure of year. They're white, if that even matters [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img] We can use the rears, or all 4 while were at it...but I'll need em back ;)
Sound great!
BTW have you talked to Rob about getting together some weekend? This weekend?

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old June 30th, 2004, 04:36 PM   #87
Jon
Forum Member

No comments, huh ?
Sorry I even spoke up. I think I'll go join AirKewld, Jetster and Callook in the crybabyvw.com forum. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crybaby.gif[/img]

Nah, seriously was any thing I said even a consideration.
Old June 30th, 2004, 04:45 PM   #88
Steve
Administradora El Polacko

Member Photo Albums

Man, I've been eyeing this thread for a while and just sitting back watching this develop...
VERY cool guys. I hope this is do-able the way it's all being planned out.

You're doing us PROUD! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smokin.gif[/img]
Old June 30th, 2004, 06:56 PM   #89
walt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon@Jun 30 2004, 04:36 PM
No comments, huh ?
Sorry I even spoke up. I think I'll go join AirKewld, Jetster and Callook in the crybabyvw.com forum. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crybaby.gif[/img]

Nah, seriously was any thing I said even a consideration.
Did you say something? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

I don't know what to tell you. there are a bunch of ideas out there and we just have to make up our minds which way to go. I'm hoping that we can all meet pretty soon and make some decisions. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/confused.gif[/img]

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old June 30th, 2004, 07:15 PM   #90
dayzwalker
Forum Member

I haven't talked to Rob in a while about this or anything... I'll try to figure out our schedules and see when we can come up. Maybe next weekend...Brian, Walt???

I sent Kirk an e-mail today, we'll see what he says about the contest. When I know, you'll know [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Jon...thanks for the suggestions and ideas! We have so mnay to sort through right now, who knows what our final design will be [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img]

A Fetivus for the Rest-iv-us

Old June 30th, 2004, 07:20 PM   #91
walt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dayzwalker@Jun 30 2004, 07:15 PM
I haven't talked to Rob in a while about this or anything... I'll try to figure out our schedules and see when we can come up. Maybe next weekend...Brian, Walt???

I sent Kirk an e-mail today, we'll see what he says about the contest. When I know, you'll know [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Jon...thanks for the suggestions and ideas! We have so mnay to sort through right now, who knows what our final design will be [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img]
Next weekend is good with me.

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old June 30th, 2004, 07:37 PM   #92
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

Decisions will have to be made based on what can be done in the time available,
and what will create the most visual impact at the show,for the time invested.

Of course there will be loose ends to tie up afterwards.

If this goes off smooth,people will be talking about it for a long time. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilespin.gif[/img]

Preparation will be the key to success. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old July 1st, 2004, 06:36 AM   #93
walt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Unkl Ian@Jun 30 2004, 07:37 PM
Decisions will have to be made based on what can be done in the time available,
and what will create the most visual impact at the show,for the time invested.

Of course there will be loose ends to tie up afterwards.

If this goes off smooth,people will be talking about it for a long time. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilespin.gif[/img]

Preparation will be the key to success. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
I can't agree with you more Unk.

I was looking at the car last night and I realized that we also need some tranny mounts (at the bellhousing) and the stamped steel cross piece that they bolt to.

I'm kinda ancious to get the car pieced together and running.

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old July 1st, 2004, 07:14 AM   #94
hotrodheb
Forum Member

Hey guys, next weekend doesn't work for me. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crybaby.gif[/img] Saturday is my 11th anniversary and Sunday I am running a half-Marathon! (Feel like joining me in the run Justin?) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

If you guys still want to meet then, go ahead, and I will talk to Dayz and send him with my input and suggestions.

Walt, earlier you had mentioned that if we use your car, you were going to get a dropped axle setup for it. Is that still the plan? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

Old July 1st, 2004, 07:21 AM   #95
walt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hotrodheb@Jul 1 2004, 07:14 AM
Walt, earlier you had mentioned that if we use your car, you were going to get a dropped axle setup for it. Is that still the plan? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]
That's right. I figured I'd just order one up from Speedway. I will be using their inexpensive tube axle and hairpins and I'll build my own mount.
That's too bad about next weekend. I think that it's important that we all meet because the more brain cells the better and you know that in that regard I'm a deffinate liability. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] So when is your next open weekend?

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old July 1st, 2004, 07:26 AM   #96
walt
Forum Member

I gotta get my shirt ordered from Steve too. Hey Steve do you except cash? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old July 1st, 2004, 08:03 AM   #97
RATRODVW
Forum Member

Hey, this weekend, next weekend, I have no life so I'm cool whenever ya'll wanna meet up. Walt - we could start to get the car put together this weekend, even if it consists of making a list (gotta write stuff down- I suffer from C.R.S.- Can't Remember Shit [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/stoned.gif[/img] ) so that we can actually see what we need and what we have. Plus I can get my parts at least together with the car. Oh, and I gotta get me a shirt, too. Maybe a couple of stickers to plaster all over the Antioch Fairgrounds come september. :peek: And I still think we should do this even if we can't do it at the contest. If we do it beforehand, we can bring it to the show, and put a sign up saying it was built in the same time as the cars in the contest. Good exposure for the website at Billetproof.
Old July 1st, 2004, 08:13 AM   #98
walt
Forum Member

Yea I'm ready to start cuttin. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] I hope I don't have premature cutulation. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]

I spent some time tonight drawing some lines on the bug and I think that maybe I've got a possable plan of attach. I can't wait to see what you guys think. It looks like we may have to remove and get rid of the sunroof. Have any of you ever removed one in one piece and if so how is it in there? It would be nice to just take it out but as a last resort we will cut it out by the roots. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] It would be kinda nice to have a pair of door tops to patch in but again that would be cheatin. I've got a few dimensions if there is anybody that can photoshop it. Or better yet somebody who could sketch it (Blackie) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] So far I've got 5" straight down on the windshield which is about 6" on the slant. At the door post and quarter window it will go down about 4 1/2" and at the rear of the quarter window it will go down 4". Yeah I know That's hammered. I know that this sounds like a lot of work but if everything is laid out right (My Job) and we cut on the lines it will fall back together. (Trust Me) to ad to the work and (don't worry it will be fine) we will remove the firewall completely and narrow the rear quarters 2 " and we will cut through the dash and firewall and narrow it 1 3/4" and with a 2 3/4" strip through the top from side to side which will lenghten it and the top will set perfectly back in place.
I think that we will need two guys working on the chassis and the other two guys will do the cutting and welding on the body. I really think that this is a do-able thing and it should knock their socks off.

You guys probably think I'm nuts hu? I think we can do it.

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old July 2nd, 2004, 12:11 PM   #99
walt
Forum Member

Here's a photochop version.

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old July 2nd, 2004, 12:35 PM   #100
gowjobs
Forum Member

Okay, you guys really have my interest peaked now. I'm guessing the extreme channel as depicted in the P-chop is not in the plan at this time. I think I still have a full set of wide-5-to-Chevy wheel adapters (the old, finned ones)... I could polish them up, mebbe if they're needed.

Dave

"When worse comes to worst...

..we're screwed"

Closed Thread