Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,396
Total Online: 608

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Closed Thread

Old December 14th, 2004, 06:50 AM   #51
mkparker
Forum Member

Looks killer! Thanks for the pics. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Old December 14th, 2004, 06:53 AM   #52
Scott H
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oldskool

Damn, that's tasty. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/licklips.gif[/img]
member #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-nor View Post
sliding volksrod discount, depending on how much i like you.
Old December 14th, 2004, 06:57 AM   #53
Griznant
Forum Member

oldskool,

Did you try fitting your engine yet?

Have fun! (I know I am).

Ugh.
Old December 14th, 2004, 06:59 AM   #54
hotrodheb
Forum Member

That looks awesome oldskool! Just wait until you get the weight of the motor in there.

It's got the look!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

Old December 14th, 2004, 07:09 AM   #55
oldskool
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Griznant@Dec 14 2004, 07:57 AM
oldskool,

Did you try fitting your engine yet?

Have fun! (I know I am).

Ugh.
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
LOL!
I've been nervous about it since I began, but look:

I know it's sitting in the wrong spot. There's a hole cut in my oval section that the PO did, I just need to enlarge is slightly to make this fit. It'll tuck in real nice. I'm half looking around to see if anybody's got one of those 80's aluminimum center mount shrouds that looks like a triangle. I wouldn't have to cut to get that shroud in.

I think your car is either lower or further back on the pan than mine...
Old December 14th, 2004, 07:15 AM   #56
Griznant
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oldskool@Dec 14 2004, 08:09 AM

I think your car is either lower or further back on the pan than mine...

Well, on top of the channel, I did do a 2" section to it too, so it's lower. I also didn't extend my roof, it's still the stocker, so my wheelbase is shorter to fit the roof. It's sort of like apples and oranges, but I was curious how yours fit. I know that my entire inner vent section is gone now, and the fan is up behind it. Oh well, function follows form when it comes to hot rods. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old December 14th, 2004, 07:20 AM   #57
hotrodheb
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oldskool@Dec 14 2004, 08:09 AM
I'm half looking around to see if anybody's got one of those 80's aluminimum center mount shrouds that looks like a triangle. I wouldn't have to cut to get that shroud in.
I have one of those shrouds, but unfortunately I am planning on using it in my car. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img] But, I thought they still sold those??? Maybe try some of the off road places. since I see a lot of them in sandrails.

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

Old December 14th, 2004, 07:50 AM   #58
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

keep the info coming....looks awesome [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old December 14th, 2004, 07:59 AM   #59
walt
Forum Member

If I ever get around to finishing the Rat Patrol, I'm going to use a Pancake shroud.

I'm bilingual.......I talk to men and women

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Car Build Thread
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
(RIGHT click and choose SAVE TARGET AS and download to your PC)
Movie1
Movie2
Old December 14th, 2004, 08:33 AM   #60
oldskool
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hotrodheb+Dec 14 2004, 08:20 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hotrodheb @ Dec 14 2004, 08:20 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-oldskool@Dec 14 2004, 08:09 AM
I'm half looking around to see if anybody's got one of those 80's aluminimum center mount shrouds that looks like a triangle. I wouldn't have to cut to get that shroud in.
I have one of those shrouds, but unfortunately I am planning on using it in my car. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img] But, I thought they still sold those??? Maybe try some of the off road places. since I see a lot of them in sandrails.
[/b][/quote]

...yeah, but who wants to spend money? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] That and this car doesn't get new parts, it just gets recycled ones (except for the important things like brakes, etc)

...besides, I saw one kicking around at my friends shop... I've got to see if it's still there.

Walt- I was going to go with the T3 pancake shroud, but I wasn't crazy about the extra length of the fan on the end (I'd like to bob the end of the decklid). But after a certain point, it's the only choice!

Thanks for all the [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] guys.
Old December 14th, 2004, 11:03 AM   #61
Top_Fuel_Thomas
Forum Member

Im still trying to wrap my brain round this idea! i keep coming up with more and more q's! :

oldskool, how is your motor going to fit then? stuck out behind the car like in the pic? but later on in your post you say you want to run a deck lid [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img] im confused! *edit* i see now the shroud is sitting rear ward in that pic isnt it... doh [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img]

Griznat in you previous post you say you cut the frame horn back by 2 inches to help tuck the motor into the car, is it still threaded that far back or does it need tapping out?

how much can you channel a car befor you run into decklid clearance problems?

is there more room to tuck the motor up under the vent section useing an oval/split section than with the normal 70's style window/vent?

respect to all those out there actually doing this as opposed to me sitting inside thinking about doing this!

Thanks,
TFTom
<span style=\'color:orange\'></div><table border=\'0\' align=\'center\' width=\'95%\' cellpadding=\'3\' cellspacing=\'1\'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id=\'QUOTE\'>I'll kill you you sick english FREAK!</td></tr></table><div class=\'signature\'> alltypesvw</span>
Old December 14th, 2004, 11:11 AM   #62
oldskool
Forum Member

Sorry to confuse, I was posting this so others could give it their twist and learn as well...
In the pic w/ the fan shroud-- the shroud is actually installed further back. I was just using that pic for reference-- it's just resting on that case. There is space between the outer vents and the inner firewall to trim slightly so the shroud will fit. You'll be able to peek into the vents and see the motor.

Grizzant's car is done differently than mine, and his motor is in a totally different spot.

I will be running a decklid-- at least part of one. I have aspirations of making a bobbed 'sprint car' tail for it, but that may not happen. I will probably take an early 60's lid, cut it so most of it is shortened with the body (2-3" long), but leave a 'tail' around the style line that goes thru the license light. I'll curve that down and under the motor for a faux-rear end.

You can channel the car as much as you'd like. You can run Type 3 tins and gain lots of clearance back. And yes, there is more room under the oval window as compared to my 63 window. Possibly 2" or so!
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:12 PM   #63
p-nor
Forum Member

chris, i saw this on ebay. it ends soon so maybe nobody will bid and you can offer him $10. i've got my eye on his hide-away and stock crank but no need for a shroud. maybe nobody'll bid on any of it! we could get a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4510823243&rd=1

paul

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:21 PM   #64
oldskool
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by p-nor@Dec 14 2004, 01:12 PM
chris, i saw this on ebay. it ends soon so maybe nobody will bid and you can offer him $10. i've got my eye on his hide-away and stock crank but no need for a shroud. maybe nobody'll bid on any of it! we could get a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4510823243&rd=1

paul
The one I was talking about has the alternator right in the middle-- it uses a special alt stand, too. It's shaped a lot like that, tho. I'm goning to hold off on that just yet-- let me see what's at my friends shop...
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:28 PM   #65
p-nor
Forum Member

the center mount shrouds are cool. if your friend has one you can use go for it! they do still make them but they're not cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WD1V

paul

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #66
1slo3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

you could use the angle; aka 'slash' shroud. i have a chrome one on my 2332 and it cools fine, plus it uses a standard alt/gen tower.
Old December 14th, 2004, 03:52 PM   #67
Ryan
Capt A's super package

oldschool.... will that shroud fit behind the package tray? if so then you could shorten the package tray so it would fit....

another thought would be to use a thing shroud. they are shorter and might fit
So don't tell me that I wouldn't drive to VT to pick up a rusted piece of shit.~scott76
Quote:
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.~steve
Random stuff I am looking for: Dont think there is anything at the moment
www.solar4soldiers.org (I am starting a non-profit to put solar panels on to disabled veterans homes. PM me for more details)
Old December 15th, 2004, 02:01 AM   #68
Top_Fuel_Thomas
Forum Member

what does a type 3 fan shroud look like though?

if its anything like a T4 flat shroud its ugly in my book.

TFTom
<span style=\'color:orange\'></div><table border=\'0\' align=\'center\' width=\'95%\' cellpadding=\'3\' cellspacing=\'1\'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id=\'QUOTE\'>I'll kill you you sick english FREAK!</td></tr></table><div class=\'signature\'> alltypesvw</span>
Old December 15th, 2004, 04:24 AM   #69
Griznant
Forum Member

When I cut the frame horns back, I actually cut off the threaded portion, removed a 2" section of the horns, and then welded the threaded portion back on. It worked well, and the axles still fit, but the angles of them have changed, and I have concerns on this. However, Porsche did a similar thing when they changed the wheelbase on the 911/912s in '69, so hopefully I won't wear out CVs prematurely. Still, with the amount of driving a car like this will get, I'll probably be fine.

oldskool covered the other items you questioned as well, so I don't think I need to repeat much of it. He was spot on in his answers.

As for the Type 3 tins/shroud, they are very similar to the Type 4, and yes, they are not particularly attractive in my book either (says I, having both T3s and T4s as well). The funny thing is that I have more than enough clearance to run the T3 tin and shroud now with the amount of space between the decklid and the engine, but it would look sort of strange in my book. Also remember that I'm running a true Porsche engine, and it is physically shorter than a T1 and has a different fan (more like an old 36hp fan).

Oh, and I bobbed my decklid too. I need to get pictures of that as well. The cuts on the bob arc to a point in the center of the decklid, almost like something you'd see on the bat-mobile. Not sure if I like it yet, but it's a solution.
Old December 15th, 2004, 07:52 PM   #70
PAPA_SMURF
Forum Member

one observation:

If you bury the shroud so far into that area you will have to take your body off to pull the motor. Something I ran across on mine. I ave a 36 horse shroud and its the same height as the center fan shroud.

You could always run a waterboxer and solve all your problems. we used to put chevy valves in the heads and port em out back in the day. I think you can use a bug cam too, so you can get any grind you want. 48 ida's baby, just re port the bottom of some short manifolds.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

66 schwinn, 04 Jetta
https://www.facebook.com/joe.lynch.739
vwclubofhawaii.ning.com
Old December 15th, 2004, 08:43 PM   #71
Scott H
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crack monkey@Dec 14 2004, 07:52 PM
another thought would be to use a thing shroud. they are shorter and might fit
Which year Thing shrouds are shorter? I've got a '73 Thing shroud and it's the same height as a regular doghouse shroud. The only difference is that it doesn't have the fresh air snouts.
Didn't some of the Brazilian Volkswagens (Puma maybe?) have the short shrouds too? Seems like CB used to sell those short ones. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/confused.gif[/img]
member #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-nor View Post
sliding volksrod discount, depending on how much i like you.
Old December 16th, 2004, 01:19 AM   #72
dez
Forum Member

they are shorter, by about half an inch!!!

which isnt much use really.
Old December 16th, 2004, 07:25 AM   #73
PapaG
Forum Member

Search for Gol , I thing that Brian (Isol3) had bought one,,,, I thing it may be shorter.
Old December 16th, 2004, 07:42 AM   #74
Top_Fuel_Thomas
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAPA_SMURF@Dec 15 2004, 08:52 PM
You could always run a waterboxer and solve all your problems.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img]
that is a bloody fantastic idea

thanks alot i think i might do that!

look at all that room!

TFTom
Old December 16th, 2004, 08:17 AM   #75
oldskool
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Top_Fuel_Thomas@Dec 16 2004, 08:42 AM
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img]
that is a bloody fantastic idea

thanks alot i think i might do that!

look at all that room!

TFTom

...until you factor in the size a radiator... and the fact that it needs air flow!
Closed Thread