Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,396
Total Online: 607

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Closed Thread

Old July 2nd, 2005, 07:33 PM   #26
Nick
Forum Member

Ya, I'm 90% certain of adding thick metal stock as impact bars, probably right under the window area

Old July 2nd, 2005, 08:30 PM   #27
Flipper_1938
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick@Jul 2 2005, 07:33 PM
Ya, I'm 90% certain of adding thick metal stock as impact bars, probably right under the window area
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>

In the past, I had been thinking about putting the reinforcement inside the door, but what about integrating a substantial piece in the design of the door panel?

Its all fun and games .........until somebody calls the cops.

My wife is as mean as a snake as it is. I'm not saying I couldn't woop her in a fair fight, but she doesn't fight fair.

"gonna try the lube and beatin' on it tomorrow... " -Cutman
Old July 2nd, 2005, 09:11 PM   #28
Scott H
Forum Member

Beetles from '74-up have impact beams in the doors.

Although, as narrow as Beetles are and with the thin doors, even with the impact beam I wouldn't want to be hit from the side.
member #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-nor View Post
sliding volksrod discount, depending on how much i like you.
Old July 3rd, 2005, 05:12 AM   #29
Nick
Forum Member

Side impact bars is only good for slow speed impacts (for the most part). I'm not makin a big deal putting one in on early cars. My doors just has alot less inner structural support so putting the bars in should even it out a bit just in case. I personally wouldn't read too much into making any early vintage car into the morden safety era.

Old July 3rd, 2005, 07:36 AM   #30
Flipper_1938
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick@Jul 3 2005, 05:12 AM
Side impact bars is only good for slow speed impacts (for the most part). I'm not makin a big deal putting one in on early cars. My doors just has alot less inner structural support so putting the bars in should even it out a bit just in case. I personally wouldn't read too much into making any early vintage car into the morden safety era.
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
Whatever I do to it, I don't think it will turn into a VOLVO (thank god!).

It's just that I know that they were beer cans when they were new.

50 years of rust and then me going after it with a sawsall, jigsaw, dremel, cut-off wheel, hacksaw or anything else that will cut.........adding some heavier gage sheetmetal or tube in a few critical areas couldn't hurt.

* EDIT * I guess there is a better thread for this to go in.....sorry for the sidetrack

Its all fun and games .........until somebody calls the cops.

My wife is as mean as a snake as it is. I'm not saying I couldn't woop her in a fair fight, but she doesn't fight fair.

"gonna try the lube and beatin' on it tomorrow... " -Cutman
Old July 3rd, 2005, 02:23 PM   #31
57Drag
Forum Member

How not to do it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img] .....Donald

Old July 3rd, 2005, 02:30 PM   #32
Maxx
Forum Member

okay...beyond being woefully inefficient, that just looks totally wrong.
Old July 6th, 2005, 08:27 PM   #33
Nick
Forum Member

Just ran into this hinge kit so just adding for future reference. It doesn't seem to have a deep hinge pocket like Rocky's kits so maybe a good setup for VW pillars?? and comes pre-alligned as well
http://www.ballsrodandkustom.com/hidden.htm

Also some places that sells safety latches (highly recommended on all suicide doors) for a good prices (seen other places that's closer to $100).
http://www.springfieldstreetrods.com/HTML_...esDoor-Vent.htm

https://host258.ipowerweb.com/~rockyhin/cgi...n&product=Locks

Emergency pull cable (if you go with power door locks and run out of battery)
https://host258.ipowerweb.com/~rockyhin/cgi...uct=Pull-Cables

Old July 18th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #34
Nick
Forum Member

Probably the last update for this thread as the hinge part is pretty much done. Actually I'll eventually hook up a solenoid to these lock to unlock them from outside the car

I installed the safety door locks. These are REALLY easy to install. Drill 3 holes, bolt in the lock, drill 1 more hole on the door pillar for the pin to penetrate. Cut the knob rod to length and attach the handle. Done. Took about 5 minutes to install. Actually I'll probably be welding in a thin tube that's closed off at 1 end to the pin-hole to make it lok more finished and complete. The kit does come with a plastic grommet though but I prefer the internal tube [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Sawzallsmiley.gif[/img]

I highly recommend running this safety lock on anyone doing suicide doors to prevent the door from accidentally opening while driving. They have a built in sensor you can hook up a light or a buzzer if desired. They also have auto-closing locks close while driving.

Old July 19th, 2005, 05:12 AM   #35
57Drag
Forum Member

I'm going to install them on mine....And going to use the pass side to lock the door and the stock icepick handle to lock the other.Yours is safer than mine because you have a Nader pin and I have a VW latch.......Donald
Old July 19th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #36
Jon
Forum Member

I have been contemplating the safety pin thing. I will definetly do it, I am just waiting to see if I come with any other options or cheaper Ideas.....

Nice work there Nick. I have had alot of problems with mine. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img] Finally got it where I feel comfortable with it but I have no Idea how well it will work with the door rubber in . [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif[/img]

I was talking with a friend of mine about the problems I had had with it . He said the best way to do it is to reinforce the arears where the hinges and pocket will go first then add the hinges and pockets... this way they are attached to the stronger metal and will stay in place while the rest of the work goes on. Makes sense to me. He has done alot of this stuff and runs a custom body shop now with special VW discounts. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old July 19th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #37
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I have safety pins on mine. They were there when I bought it of course [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] They look just like Nick's, have a little knob on them. They just go into a hole in the A-pillar on mine, no tube or anything fancy. They work great and keep the door from rattling so much since I don't have rubber in the doors right now. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

I will get rid of the stock VW latches if I ever redo the car.

Nice work, Nick. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
Closed Thread