Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,396
Total Online: 610

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Closed Thread

Old January 2nd, 2004, 03:20 AM   #26
type3rod
Forum Member

I am seriusly thinking of doing a bug rod similar to either franks "stinkbug" and the so-cal look bug when Im done with the "type 3 rod". I want to use a ford i-beam but dont want to buy the so cal bracket because im not Bill Gates [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yelling.gif[/img] . Wondering were,besides searching ebay, I could find a complete Ford front end???
Old January 2nd, 2004, 05:22 AM   #27
Nick
Forum Member

Do a Google search for hot rod parts, etc. There's dozens of places that sells these axles in all forms and stages. Mix and match them, collect them all!

Old January 2nd, 2004, 05:46 AM   #28
works2hard4u
Forum Member

Gus -

What size/type wheels ands tires do you have on that roadster?
Old January 2nd, 2004, 08:49 AM   #29
BIG GUS
Forum Member

Actually it is pretty much in alignment at this point. It looks funny in that shot because the wheels were turned a little to the left!! I am going to check it out more closely later on.
I am thinking about getting some fenderwell panels from Roadster Cliff to have some room for tail lights away from the muffler heat. ;) I'm gonna have to save up for a while to be able to do that.
Big Gus
Old January 2nd, 2004, 01:21 PM   #30
BIG GUS
Forum Member

To Works2hard4u,

I have 185/70/15s on the front with 4.5" wide wheels and 275/60/15s on the back with 10" wide wheels at this point. I imagine that after I get to drive it for a while, I may decide on something different.
:)
Gus
Old January 2nd, 2004, 06:22 PM   #31
Jon
Forum Member

185/70's on 4.5 wide rims ? How wide are the tires and how tall are they ? and where did you get them.
I just don't think I have seen that size before.

Also couldn't you put some tailights in those vents ? or maybe have some that aren't on the body at all. Kinda sticking out in the fenderwell.
I guess it depends on the look you want.

I have always wanted to hack the roof off of one. Maybe next one.
Old January 2nd, 2004, 08:59 PM   #32
BIG GUS
Forum Member

Jon,
The 185/70/15s were on the car when I got it. I think they are a "Big O" brand. That's a pretty big tire store near here!!
Attached is a photo and it's about the same OD as the stock 165/15s.
Gus
I'll try the photo again!!!
Sorry, I Lied!!!! I just got up close and these are the 165s. The 185s were the old worn out meats!!! this photo shows the 165 and one of the 275s that I have for the rear.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 03:12 PM   #33
BIG GUS
Forum Member

HMMMM,
Looks like I'm gonna have to do some polishing on those front Centerline Types!!!
Big Gus
Old January 3rd, 2004, 03:46 PM   #34
Ryan
Capt A's super package

you know what is gonna be sweet?.... when somebody is able to bag one of these cars with the front end out in neverland [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
So don't tell me that I wouldn't drive to VT to pick up a rusted piece of shit.~scott76
Quote:
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.~steve
Random stuff I am looking for: Dont think there is anything at the moment
www.solar4soldiers.org (I am starting a non-profit to put solar panels on to disabled veterans homes. PM me for more details)
Old January 3rd, 2004, 07:25 PM   #35
exracer29
Forum Member

You know, a down and dirty way of acheiving the "suicide look" (front wheels sticking way out in front, would be to extend the pan say 10 inches, and then reverse the trailing arms- that would put the front wheels wayyyy out there... :peek:
Old January 3rd, 2004, 08:44 PM   #36
BIG GUS
Forum Member

I don't want to screw up the great handling charactoristics(SP) that the 70 bug already has. I was just hoping to drop and extend the front axle 2 to 6 inches and make it handle better. The tube and beam axles look realy neat, but I have driven T Buckets and deuce roadsters with those type axles and they didn't drive and corner as well as the ones I drove with the Mustang II and similar conversions.
Anyway my budget won't allow me to get too carried away!!! :D
Old January 4th, 2004, 07:12 AM   #37
Dr.Freakinstien
Forum Member

There is most likely several other front end options avalible.Mustang II probably has the most servers for parts but I would imagine,TR7,triumph,mg, and others are avalible at smaller prices inn the Parts yard due to the popularity of the 'tang.Find an appropriate way to mount and you should be ready.All will most likey present their own unique problems and solutions.Measurments!My set-up with lowered spindles and new frame head added and extended works well,I think without compremising the basic dynamics too,much.You do how evr have to work the steering anew.I used a r/pin system and extended the steering rod with u-joints.
Old January 4th, 2004, 07:42 AM   #38
type3rod
Forum Member

Hey Freak, what are your plans for the body??? Any cool mods or ?????
Old January 4th, 2004, 07:48 AM   #39
Dr.Freakinstien
Forum Member

Chop top,add a metal sun roof and an oval clip.Alum. hood scoop,f-glass hood with recessions,no rear apron.Gloss black or semi.
Old January 4th, 2004, 08:04 AM   #40
BIG GUS
Forum Member

Looks like the Dropped Ball Joint Spindle Kit is the way to go at this point. If I decide to go with an early Ford type front hood later on, then I could consider the extension and fool with the steering.
Thanks for all the input to this point. My little brain is getting "Clogged Up"!!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif[/img]
Old January 4th, 2004, 10:30 AM   #41
wizrod
Forum Member

Cheers for the plug Mikeeboy

Here's the latest incarnation of my setup:

Its the same unit, except that I've 'stretched' it by 5" and dropped it an inch too. As before, it bolts on to the framehead as normal. The (old Mini) rack stays where it was, on top of the tunnel, just behind the framehead. This isn't ideal, as the track rods angle a little further forward that would be ideal, but they pivot exactly in line with the wishbones, so bump steer shouldn't be a problem.

As it stands, it pushes the front wheels forward, such that the front edge of the tyre is in line with the front of the trunk handle - just right for a roadster!

I've also had to 'tub' the area in font of fule tank - mist of what wa the spare wheel well:

That tub stays away from the trunk lid edge seal (jsust), so you could build something like this for a Volksrod with a stock front end.

This is pretty much the as it will be. Its all ready for be bolted back together, except that I'm going to wait a few weeks to let the paint harden up. That'll also give me time to panel in the inner wheel arches, to get a smooth front end look'n'feel. I'm going to sculpt some urethane 'blue' foal, bond it on, and give it a couple of layers of GRP etc before a coat of paint....It should look OK when it all done

Paul

http://www.wizrod.com
Old January 4th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #42
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

That is SWEEEET!!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
Old March 18th, 2004, 06:42 AM   #43
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

here is the Frazer Nash front end extender thanx to Al G [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old March 18th, 2004, 06:45 PM   #44
type3rod
Forum Member

Were would that be avalible at??? Looks like the four bolts holding the beam on woulnt be enough????? Do bugs have just bolts holding the beam on??? I know on the type 3's there are plates then bolts.
Old March 18th, 2004, 06:56 PM   #45
papastype1
Forum Member

Out of production for years. Should be quite simp;e to build and you can modify to lower if you wanted. 4 little bolts are all that keep it on. AL G
Old March 18th, 2004, 07:12 PM   #46
papastype1
Forum Member

In 1975 the Bugatti kit sold for $795 and the Alfa Romeo for $895. AL G
Old July 5th, 2004, 12:39 AM   #47
gowjobs
Forum Member

Okay, so I was at a car show today and saw this four-bar setup on a competition-style T-bucket... the owner says it rides and steers well, but it looks bump-steer prone to me.

"When worse comes to worst...

..we're screwed"

Old July 5th, 2004, 12:42 AM   #48
gowjobs
Forum Member

Here's the car that front suspension is on. A wild ride, to be sure:

"When worse comes to worst...

..we're screwed"

Old July 5th, 2004, 08:33 AM   #49
slodown
Forum Member

Would this work for a superbeetle? Just remove enough space from the spare tire area and place in.
Old July 5th, 2004, 08:37 AM   #50
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally posted by slodown@Jul 5 2004, 12:33 PM
Would this work for a superbeetle? Just remove enough space from the spare tire area and place in.
dont think it's quite that easy
Closed Thread