Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Old June 17th, 2016, 09:20 AM   #251
hotrodheb
Forum Member

Default Re: Effigy's history

Yeah, that does sound like a busy month. Congrats on buying a house! Damn, you are gonna be a grown up before you know it!

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2016, 10:12 AM   #252
tequilla
Forum Member

Don't forget the bounce house when you have the house warming party!!!

Share your cheese....... here kitty, kitty.......
tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2016, 12:15 PM   #253
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodheb View Post
Yeah, that does sound like a busy month. Congrats on buying a house! Damn, you are gonna be a grown up before you know it!
Haha! I know right! I don't want to do this adulting shit! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by tequilla View Post
Don't forget the bounce house when you have the house warming party!!!
This one has a firepit and hot tub around back :P

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2016, 02:11 PM   #254
tequilla
Forum Member

This one has a firepit and hot tub around back :P[/QUOTE]

Hot Tub........... The Adult Bounce House

Share your cheese....... here kitty, kitty.......
tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2016, 02:40 PM   #255
V8Transporter
Forum Member

^^

How 'bout the garage, which will take you back to your loooong lost youth of tinkering on old VWs?
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2016, 04:02 PM   #256
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
^^

How 'bout the garage, which will take you back to your loooong lost youth of tinkering on old VWs?
Apparently people in Virginia don't do garages... our budget was $200k +/- a bit.. the best we'd see is like 300sq foot garages with cabinets and shit built in so you can't even fit a car in..

this one has a 200 sq ft garage with a platform thing built in for the washer/dryer... can't fit a car but I'm hopeful i can get all my tools/ benches and motorcycle in.. it has a two car driveway and three street spots though so the cars will be fine..

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========

Old August 2nd, 2016, 12:27 PM   #257
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Sooooo..

We got the house, been crazy.. Genia had surgery on June 15th, then We closed June 30th, so I moved everything by myself with a 2001 Ford Escape over the course of 2 weeks (we paid half months rent at our old place) with the exception of some larger furniture that we hired the son of one of her coworkers to help me with..

Spent all of July unpacking and organizing (still doing that..) and I really haven't had much time to mess with the bug :(

I did drive it once a week ago though.. seems to be running just as bad as it was before I gave bug House money to fix it..

Current plan is to buy a compression test kit and check the compression again.. After that, I think I'm gonna pull the motor, something the mechanic said has been rubbing me wrong since I picked it up..

He was a big dude with giant hands and was complaining about how hard it was to reach some stuff.. He decided that instead of pulling the motor to pull one head to check why it had no compression, he pulled the head with the engine in the car.

I might be wrong, but I thought it was damn near impossible to properly retorque heads when the engine is installed. if that's the case, how did his giant fingers manage to do it? or is the head not on properly..

whatever, fuckin done with local shops, gonna have to suck it up and fix my shit myself like I should have $1200 ago..

===========

Old August 3rd, 2016, 02:01 PM   #258
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Congratulations on the new digs! Mucho mojo to your lady and her recovery from her surgery.
Old September 24th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #259
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So I ordered a compression testing kit a couple of months ago, finally got around to trying it out..

Jacked up the car, took off the rear wheels and started pulling spark plugs...

I'm going to be calling the Bughouse in Virginia Beach monday because I'm pretty fuckin pissed. I realize it's been almost half a year since I brought it to them, and I should have complained sooner, I just haven't had time to look into it myself until now. I want a refund, but I doubt that will happen, so I'm just gonna call and complain..

They charged me for four new spark plugs, but only replaced the two on the 3/4 side. They charged me for brand new pertronix flamethrower 8mm splug wires, because they insisted my almost brand new MSD 8mm plug wires were bad... they measure comparable resistance so I'm not sure what wrong with them..

Starting the car and trying to drive around the block, it feels like I'm running on 2 cylinders now. I looked at the heads and confirmed what I thought, it is physically impossible to remove and re-install a head without either pulling the engine, or at LEAST pulling the fan shroud and engine tin. So they charged me for work they never did.

I'm assuming they just guessed when they told me my valves were fine, since they never pulled the head..

To make it worse, and harder for me to argue, I haven't been as good as I used to be about filing invoices. I know I still have the invoice, but I don't remember where I had it in the old house so I have no idea where to look now that i've moved.

Oh and that new compression test kit I bought, comes with adapters for 14mm and 12mm plugs... none of the fittings are the same size as my plugs. I normally use NGK DCPR6E which are 12mm, but I put my calipers on a plug and none of the fittings are the same size.

fuck it, i'm getting drunk tonight.

===========

Old September 24th, 2016, 04:37 PM   #260
Daddy o's 67
Forum Member

I believe you can get a loaner compression tester kit from Auto Zone or Advance.
Daddy o's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2016, 12:44 PM   #261
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Off work this week and next, finally got my ass back out in the garage to work on the bug. been spending a lot of time on the kid's Z lately.. was nice to work on MY car for once..

So I know the distributor timing is waay off, but I can't see how far until I can get it running.. Have the battery on a trickle charger because it was all the way down to 11v from sitting for so long.. been letting it charge, trying to start, turning distributor a tiny bit, trying again, letting it charge, rinse repeat most of today..

Finally did what I should have done first and checked the carbs..

#2 mix screw was like 3 and a half turns out.. I stupidly wasn't counting as I turned it in because I didn't think it would be that bad.. #'s 1, 2 and 4 were about 2 and a half turns out.. reset them all to 2 full turns out.

Since they were so out of whack, I moved to the next logical step and pulled a jet stack...

started on the driver's side since that's the one that doesn't seem to be working.

Found this on #3:

I'm guessing the gummy shit is from stupid modern gas sitting for so long.. but it almost looked like dielectric grease..

On the #4 jet stack I found that it was clogged with more of that greasy shit and something that looks like pollen..

https://youtu.be/mS4Ga57njQY

waiting for the battery to recharge again, might just let it trickle overnight and try again friday (supposed to rain tomorrow)

===========

Old November 23rd, 2016, 04:32 PM   #262
V8Transporter
Forum Member

That looks like the inside of my AFB before I started using a ethanol gas treatment by Lucas.
Old November 28th, 2016, 11:36 AM   #263
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

just tinkered a little.. gonna have to wait until i can buy some more IDF rebuild kits..

I pulled the two rear most idle jets, but had some more of that gel like shit clogging them, i imagine the forward ones do too, but they're a pain to get to without pulling the carbs and I don't wanna do that right now.

Gonna wait til I can buy some rebuild kits, pull em and clean em out entirely, i bet there's more of that shit inside the bodies themselves..

It did fire up a bit easier with just two jets cleaned though, so I think it's just shitty gas sitting for too long stopping it from running now..

figure my next steps are:

rebuild cabs, then get back to fucking with timing/jetting..

===========

Old December 21st, 2016, 02:41 PM   #264
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Finally got off my ass and yanked the engine.

At a quick glance in failing light, I'm thinking there is definitely something wrong with valve timing.. #1 intake has a pool of gas.. which also, the gas is yellow in color..

After seeing the color of the pool of gas, I'm guessing the yellow stains on both intakes under the carbs means bother carbs are leaking as well..

Going to buy some cheapo oil so I can do the compression test on the engine stand, then tear it down to a shortblock and look everything over..

here's some pics:

passenger side carb, note the yellow on the top left side of the intake:

yellow all down that side:

some yellowing in the middle here:

more yellow:

driver's side carb, more yellow:

rear view:

inboard side, not sure what the dark shit is by the intake, but it doesn't just wipe off:

guessing it's some kind of sealing shit..

rear side:

engine out:

3/4 intakes, sorry for blur, was getting dark.. fuel pooling in both ports..

1/2 side, LOTS of fuel in #1...

may have to hook the battery up and use the fuel pump to empty that yellow shit out of the tank.. my muffler smelled like gas when i took it off, so I'm guessing it's not burning and just passing through the engine. I'll know more when I get a look at the heads and P&Cs..

===========

Old December 21st, 2016, 05:20 PM   #265
Daddy o's 67
Forum Member

All this is from ethanol fuel. Your going to have to tear down and clean those carbs real good. A soaking in a heated ultrasonic cleaner with good cleaner in it for at least 45 minutes will clear the crud from all the passages.

The dark stuff on your intakes below the carb base is a sealer they put on the gaskets before reinstalling the carbs when they had them off.

Once you get it running, keeping ethanol treatment in your fuel or running non-ethanol fuel and using a switch to cut off your electric fuel so you can run it out of fuel will be your best defense to keep this from happening again. All that humidity down there in Hampton is sucked up by the ethanol in your fuel.
Old December 21st, 2016, 05:39 PM   #266
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

stupid new gas... i had planned on rebuilding the carbs, but all i have is berryman's dip, which is utter shit compared to the berryman's my dad used to use in the late 80's...

i figured the dark stuff was some kind of gasket but never seen it, i use curil t normally..

i have a manual toggle for my fuel pump i'll start running it dry from now on. I normally keep some sta-bil in it, but i guess that wasn't enough this time. lesson learned. I miss the west coast, haha.

===========

Old December 21st, 2016, 05:52 PM   #267
Daddy o's 67
Forum Member

Some of the WaWa's down there carry non-ethanol fuel. You have to check around different stations to find it, but it is available for about $.50-.75 more a gallon than ethanol laced fuel.

A lot of the boat repair shops down there have the good, heated, ultrasonic cleaners. Might want to stop by one or two and ask what they might charge to clean your carbs if you bring them to them torn down and ready to be cleaned.
Old December 22nd, 2016, 02:28 AM   #268
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I'm right on the hampton river, so boat repair shops should be easy to find :)

we got two wawa's within like 3 miles, I'll have to check em out and probably tell the kid to only take her 1980 280zx there too.. screw our 2001 escape and 2012 countryman, they can probably deal with the shitty gas.. lol

===========

Old December 23rd, 2016, 01:15 PM   #269
cretin
Forum Member

The WaWas down this part of Florida are crazy high for ethanol free gas. But yeah, Imma do what I can to use it exclusively in my VR.
cretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2016, 07:21 AM   #270
alykat
Site Supporter

I've found that although enanol free fuel is more expensive, that the mpg is noticeably higher. Trade off I guess. I should probably run the numbers to see how it all shakes out.
Old December 25th, 2016, 08:23 AM   #271
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

Who makes that cable/ pulley carb linkage setup? I'm going to need one of those for my volksrod!
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2016, 09:54 AM   #272
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiI View Post
Who makes that cable/ pulley carb linkage setup? I'm going to need one of those for my volksrod!
Jeff
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1381017

Pete's an awesome dude, I met him once at a show here in Virginia, he was thrilled to see me, says he's sold a bunch of these, but I was the first customer he had seen with it installed..

===========

Old December 25th, 2016, 06:34 PM   #273
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

SWEET! Big thanks!
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2016, 12:01 PM   #274
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Still haven't gotten anyone to help me get the engine off the jack and onto the stand.. Got duty today so I'm stuck on the ship until after work tomorrow..

My garage has a finished roof, but I'm thinking about crawling into the "attic" space and drilling some holes so I can mount a chainfall hoist or even just a block and tackle to a beam and drop it through the drywall ceiling.. I'd only be able to use it with the door shut but it's better than wasting a weekend because I don't have any friends to bring over.. lol

Since I'm stuck on the ship for the day, I did some admin work instead.. made up a quick and dirty spreadsheet so I can try and crunch some numbers..

I'll check the valve lash and compression numbers as they are right now, essentially, as they left the shop I paid to fix this shit..

then redo the valve lash (he said he put it "around .006" even though I told him they are chromoly pushrods and should be loose zero.. he said it's better they be a little loose than too tight..), and check the numbers again..

Once it's torn apart I want to recalculate my compression ratio.. I have a feeling i half assed something back in 2013 when i put the engine back together.. I'm fairly certain I was careful, but I was also drinking in the garage a lot back then..

After checking the heads and valves and everything for damage, put it all back together, re do valve lash and recheck everything..

aaaand now that I printed that chart, i just remembered I wanted to also try and figure out what the torque currently is on the head nuts.. The idiot at the shop claims to have removed the 3/4 head and reinstalled it properly without taking the engine out of the car.. I gotta figure out how ot read current torque without manipulating it..
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (11.7 KB, 3 views)

===========

Old December 29th, 2016, 05:08 PM   #275
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So I rigged up a lift system tonight and got the engine on the stand. Ran one round of compression tests and checked the valve lash. going to adjust the valves tomorrow and run another round of compression tests then move on to checking head torque and removing the heads for inspection..

got a section of 4x4 post laying across the 2x6 boards in the overhead.. cable draped over those and connected to the come-along..

made a harness out of red rope.. not ideal, but it worked. it's under the engine case not the pushrod tubes..

mid-air before sliding the yoke into the stand..

engine on stand with one person and minimal effort :)

ghetto rigged compression test set up...

skipped pics until i took the 3/4 valve cover off and found this sludge.. looks like some water in the oil :/

apparently the Bughouse only thought two of the plugs needed to be replaced...

1/2 side are a couple of years and maybe 700 miles old..

3/4 side were installed in April and have maybe 70 miles on them..

here's the numbers I got tonight.. seems like compression is actually low on the 1/2 side instead of the 3/4 side. looking back, i don't think i ever went back and retorqued anything after putting the engine together, so this is all probably my fault.. but i'm not really pleased with the valve lash that this "race mechanic" idiot at the bug house did.. i can at least get .006 if i'm aiming for it while i'm laying on my back under the car.. he had it on a lift and I asked for loose zero...

===========