Latest Threads
- by bigguy

Old May 13th, 2018, 11:41 AM   #176
moler
Forum Member

Default Re: Volksrod pickup 'Moler Inc'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkparker View Post
I get tired from just reading your posts, but I enjoy them a lot! Your attention to detail blows me away!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 Bug Mid Engine View Post
You got some skill! That is for sure. I hate working with fiberglass. Keep the updates coming!
Thank you also

I'll this update with a small job I did. I'd tried a few times to level the rear ride height out but failed miserably, I did all four corners of the Square to level up a botched lowering job and nailed it first go, so I've no idea what was going on here? I decided enough was enough and stumped up for some adjustable rear springplates, these are from Transporterhaus and come in a black zinc coating...

...unfortunately they aren't fettled before they are coated so it's pretty much worthless. I fettled them, knocking off all the shape corners, and prepped them for paint...

...primer...

...no painted pic! and here I am fitting them...

...but they aren't in the pic rest assured they are now fitted and adjusted up nicely.

Back to the mudguard moulds, after repairing the gel coat I needed a return edge from the flange, so I chopped down the metal from moulding these to get this...

...the purpose of these is so I can put a radiused edge of the guards, you achieve this by using plasticine and filleting tool, basically a ball bearing on stick! The pukka tool from a fibreglass suppliers is a tenner, I get these, made for shaping icing on cakes, for 3 quid ...

...so in here you lay the rolled out plasticine and then run the tool down it to form a radius...

...the first lay up didn't go well as there was too much excess mat around the edge and it pulled the mat out of the tight radius...

...resulting in this...

...the next ones, with less mat, were better...

...first one out and trimmed...

...you may remember the bracket...

...that'll do ...

...to fix the bracket to the guard I first used filler as an adhesive...

...then after using more to smooth the transition out between bracket and guard I fibreglassed the two together...

...bolted up for the first time, happy with that...

...then after some prep and paint...

...one down, three to go...

...and I'll finish with a gratuitous evening moody sky shot
moler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2018, 12:48 PM   #177
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Nicely done

One day I would like to try working with fiberglass again, it's been 36 years and I ended up with resin everywhere but where I wanted it before it started to harden
Over the years I have learned to take my time

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2018, 12:23 AM   #178
moler
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkparker View Post
I get tired from just reading your posts, but I enjoy them a lot! Your attention to detail blows me away!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 Bug Mid Engine View Post
You got some skill! That is for sure. I hate working with fiberglass. Keep the updates coming!
I must be sadistic as I quite enjoy it

Another job that needed looking at was the gear shifter. You may recall I've done a 5" transmission raise but kept the shifter rod in the tunnel so I can run a bench seat. Because of the radical change of direction in a short space that this requires the vertical push and pull on the hockey stick (and it's extension) is quite severe, this had started to make changing gear a challenge...

...after some investigation it was clear that shifter rod down stream of the 2nd UJ (or hockey stick extension) needed support. I had various ideas but most would have been a nightmare to mount due to limited mounting points and next to no access, and I didn't want to have to remove the shifter rod as that's a whole world of pain this is what I came up with...

...the material is 20mm thick PVC sheet, nylon would be better but I had this in the shed, I tacked the two halves together (I bet that tacking nozzle hasn't seen action since I left my trade 16 years ago) as I need to make a support that will wrap around the shift rod...

...4 operations done to get it to this point, holes drilled to clamp the two halves together including counterbore to integrate and hold the set screw hex heads, mounting holes, shifter rod guide hole and clearance counterbore for the shifter rod coupling...

...set screws added, mounting holes increased in size, the top has been clearanced to fit the available room, the front chamfered to clear the UJ and further clearancing on the rear for the shifter coupling bolt...

...hex heads wouldn't fit, allen heads would fit but I only had bolts (not threaded down the full length) that were too long so out come a massive stack of washers ...

...it's fiddly as hell to fit but works a treat :D

(new allen headed set screws are currently waiting to be fitted )

Old May 26th, 2018, 08:20 AM   #179
V8Transporter
Forum Member

That is soooo cool. And, it won't rust!
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2018, 10:26 AM   #180
alykat
Site Supporter

Another super nice bodge !
Old May 26th, 2018, 11:03 PM   #181
moler
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
That is soooo cool. And, it won't rust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alykat View Post
Another super nice bodge !
Well no one likes an ugly bodge do they
Old August 30th, 2018, 06:45 PM   #182
gandos56
Forum Member

Your fabrication skills are way beyond belief.Awesome work.
gandos56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2018, 05:18 AM   #183
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

As always fantastic work, as others have said your fanrication skills are outstanding

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2018, 08:42 AM   #184
moler
Forum Member

So 1 week after this...

...I go and do this...

...I was on the way to South Yorkshire Beetles meet and convoy, I was originally going to wait for the roads to dry but decided to 'chance it' and go earlier with some friends. On exiting a roundabout , the road was like an ice rank due to rain and oil/diesel, I spun it! I'm not exactly sure what happened but I hit a lamppost and came to rest back on the carriageway facing the wrong direction. You'll notice in the second pic that the exit to the roundabout is dry, this is only 45 minutes after it happened!

My son and I were in the rod and we're both absolutely fine. By some miracle there's next to no damage on the bodywork of the rod, there's a bit at the bottom of the O/S inner wing, some damage to the door from the inside that I can only assume was my shoulder and some to the rear of the O/S sill that happened as I drove the rod back on to my driveway (I didn't account for the flat tyre!)
The O/S front tyre is what hit the lamppost, the beam hasn't a mark on it except it's bent, very bent!

I'm currently fitting a standard Type 3 exhaust to the engine so it can go back into the Squareback.

The plan is a simple one, remove the beam and tank and inspect everything, I'm expecting to find everything is ok as there are no indications at all that the body is bent, the doors shut as they should and everything still lines up.
Then repair and respray the body (I damaged the bonnet at Skeg Vegas so I was already thinking about doing this) there's a new beam to build but this time static with air assistance, as I'd always planned to. I need to check the wheels for buckling too.

Then all I need is three new tyres, the rear is obviously knackered, the front two have both been pinched and have sidewall damage.

Instagram - moler_inc
Old September 15th, 2018, 02:01 PM   #185
SCOTTRODS
Forum Member

Ouch... Such nice work to see damaged... at least it doesn't "look" too bad though... hopefully not long to get back to driving again.
Old September 15th, 2018, 03:20 PM   #186
V8Transporter
Forum Member

I'm glad you and your son are OKAY. Hope you get her back on the road soon. Nice trophies.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote