Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...


User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,440
Posts: 548,521
Total Online: 1079

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by 1slo3
- by Bugula

 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #1
Zedmon
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Yavapai County AZ
Posts: 12
Default #2 - '69 Vert

So today I finally get started on the 69 Vert I have.

I rolled it into the garage, after filling two dead tires, and proceeded to remove the fenders. After accomplishing this task and feeling good about it, I soon realized that the fun was just about to begin.
Let me start with this - How not to remove a front beam 101 or how to get the f**k'n beam off with only removing one end of one tie rod joint removed.
The only side I could get off was on the passenger's side spindle. After removing the disk brake calipers (PO put them on), the four bolts in front and the two on top, gravity does a good job of getting the beam out of the car.
Just watch your toes. Oh I forgot you also have to loosen and disconnect the steering box and put a jack under it so you can move it forward to clear the small tie rod.
So after that I put in the conversion beam (I am using the VWStreetrod conversion - Thanks Rodger, I got a friend to weld it up for me.)
And to end the day I mocked up one side. I think I have the radius arm on the wrong side though.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fenderless.jpg (45.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg mockup front.jpg (65.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg mockup side.jpg (63.0 KB, 11 views)
Zedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Zedmon
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Yavapai County AZ
Posts: 12
Default Re: #2 - '69 Vert

Today I got the rest of the front end together minus steering.
That axle is really heavy and doesn't cooperate. One of the bottom pins to a sledgehammer to get in.
I would have had wheels on the front but my junkyard specials were the wrong bolt pattern.
Back to the junkyard I go with rotor in hand tomorrow. Then I can work on getting the steering worked out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg axle front.jpg (41.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg axle .jpg (47.3 KB, 7 views)
Zedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #3
Zedmon
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Yavapai County AZ
Posts: 12
Default Re: #2 - '69 Vert

Well I got the wheels on. I have been working on it for the last two days.
Nothing really to report other than I have been in steering hell!!


So I take a break from that and realize that I really should rewire that car.

Nobody said building a volksrod was easy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wheels front.jpg (43.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg steering arm.jpg (68.2 KB, 3 views)
Zedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Zedmon
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Yavapai County AZ
Posts: 12
Default Re: #2 - '69 Vert

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. Lots of work has/is happening.....
Just to get this up to speed,this is what has happened so far:

1. I am unemployed at the moment - so I have been working on my car.
2. Steering has been fixed - full lock to lock on a VW steering box (pictures coming soon)
3. Gutted the wiring and made my own wiring loom whilst using a watson's fuse box. (having a problem with turn signals/brakes)
4. Early chevy tailights (contributing to problem with ts/brakes)
5. Rear disk brakes
6. Converting to a Type IV 2.0 with 1.8 heads. I got my DTM last week.

So I have run into a few problems - I have no instructions for the watson fuseblock and with the turn signals
I get them to work in acc mode but when I go to start they go dead. I suppose once I solve that then the problem with hooking them to a 1 bulb system can be solved.
This is the only electrical problem so far. I need to put the motor in the car to finish wiring.

I would have the brakes done but kustom1 sent me the wrong rotors and I am waiting for them to start the brakes.

I have the DTM pretty much installed, as soon as I can get some alternator shims (tomorrow) I can finish that. Oh Yeah I am waiting for carb linkage but should have that Wednesday.
Zedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ALL text, images, graphics and content herein are Copyright 2002 - 2020 Three Pugs Design - Cut Weld Drive Forums