Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by Ozrod
- by DrHax

Old November 21st, 2013, 03:34 PM   #201
alykat
Site Supporter

Default Re: I aquired another VW

Used to ? Uhmmm......you mean there is a different way to do it ?
Old November 22nd, 2013, 04:35 AM   #202
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I use an old bumper jack to break the beads, when I didn't have a car or truck that was heavy enough & there was no nice steel bumper to hook the jack to, I used my engine hoist, I just chained the arm to the bottom of the legs out by the wheels, jacked it up to get the slack out of the chain, then I laid the tire on the legs & proceeded to break the beads
Then this past Spring a friend had bought one of those cheap bead breaker from Harbor Freight, he said it didn't work, so he gave it to me, I tried it when I got it home, said the hell with it
About 4 weeks ago I got to looking at it, put a tire on it, then propped up the side of the tire opposite of where I was trying to break the bead, I just laid a 3 ft section of 4 by 4 under it, then pushed down on the handle, what'd ya know, it worked, it takes a lot less time than the bumper jack method

I'll get a picture of the bead breaker along with how I set the tire up so it works, one a these days I'm gonna weld a few pieces of 1 inch square tubing on it so the tire sits at the right angle so you can actually break the bead, cause out of the box it just won't work, well that is if the guy I got it from assembled it correctly, I never did look at a picture of it on their web site, but with some modification I think it works great
I'll never use the old bumper jack again to break tire beads

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 01:52 PM   #203
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post
I use an old bumper jack to break the beads, when I didn't have a car or truck that was heavy enough & there was no nice steel bumper to hook the jack to, I used my engine hoist, I just chained the arm to the bottom of the legs out by the wheels, jacked it up to get the slack out of the chain, then I laid the tire on the legs & proceeded to break the beads
Then this past Spring a friend had bought one of those cheap bead breaker from Harbor Freight, he said it didn't work, so he gave it to me, I tried it when I got it home, said the hell with it
About 4 weeks ago I got to looking at it, put a tire on it, then propped up the side of the tire opposite of where I was trying to break the bead, I just laid a 3 ft section of 4 by 4 under it, then pushed down on the handle, what'd ya know, it worked, it takes a lot less time than the bumper jack method

I'll get a picture of the bead breaker along with how I set the tire up so it works, one a these days I'm gonna weld a few pieces of 1 inch square tubing on it so the tire sits at the right angle so you can actually break the bead, cause out of the box it just won't work, well that is if the guy I got it from assembled it correctly, I never did look at a picture of it on their web site, but with some modification I think it works great
I'll never use the old bumper jack again to break tire beads

Ron
And Change the hardware out while you're at it. The hardware on that bead breaker contraption sux pretty bad. Bent like aluminum on the one I bought (And subsequently returned after killing myself for hours working with it).
SCOTTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #204
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Below is a link to the H/F bead breaker I used, now it didn't work worth a damn as is
http://www.harborfreight.com/bead-breaker-92961.html
First of all the guy I got it from bent it at the center tube in the base, it bent right where the upright bolts on
What I did the first time I was able to get it to break the bead with very little muscle was to set a car ramp on top of the base with the ramp part resting up against where the upright is & the highest part of the ramp away from the bead beaker & upright, I set tire on the ramp & put the curved bead breaking part on the bead & pushed down & just held it for a few moments (20 to 30 seconds) & the bead popped right down off the rim, I have changed at least 8 tires like this, but I just use a few 4 by 4's to stack under the wheel & tire, then I use some 8 inch spikes to drive into the ground around the bead breaker frame as well as the 4 by 4's so nothing can move, then procede to break the bead, it's much easier than using the bumper jack

Tomorrow I'll get a picture of how I set it up, if I can find my tripod I'll try to get a video of how easy it is to break a tires bead down, maybe 10 minutes to do both sides, plus of minus 5 minutes depending on how I'm feeling

Ron

RSS
Old December 3rd, 2013, 11:08 PM   #205
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Monday afternoon I was stopped at a red light when I hear the screeching of tires, I look in my rear view mirror & it's the car behind me, they didn't hit me, but it got me to thinking, I need some protection for that, if I would get hit in the rear it would ruin my engine, I don't have the money for another engine & I'm sure that if I would get hit, the driver most likely wouldn't have insurance
So today I decided to take care of that, I was gonna build a rear cage/bumper from scratch, I have plenty of tubing, I would just hafta take everything to a friends place to bend the tube, just 4 bends, a U shaped hoop & 2 pieces bent to go from the rear transmission mount then back & up to the hoop
Then I got to thinking that I had a rear cage from my Rail Buggy, so I took it off & cut off 2 pieces of tubing & started fabricating a way to mount it, I already had the rear transmission mount from my Buggy on the V-Rod, I then cut a piece of tubing to go between the upper rear shock mounts, I cut 2 pieces of 2" by 2" by 1/4" angle iron to bolt onto the shock mounts, had my son weld the tube to the angle iron (don't have a picture of that yet)
Once I get the tube bolted on tomorrow I'll need to cut 2 pieces to fit between the shock mount tube & the rear cage, a few pictures of the Buggy cage & you should get the idea what I'm gonna do to get the upper tube flanges something to bolt to, then get welded to the tube that goes between the shock towers

You can see the flanges that I will need to connect to something solid

I'll also need to cut about an inch off the bottom of the deck lid so it clears the top tube

I may build another one from scratch, something a bit different, not sure I like the looks of it, guess I'll wait till it's finished to decide

Any thoughts on it & how it looks?

I could dress it up with something, just not sure what, where, or how

Ron

RSS
Old December 4th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #206
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

Run what ya brung. I think that should work. You could mount a 3rd brake light in the middle of it too!
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 03:41 AM   #207
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Yesterday I started cutting out some sheet metal to make clearance for the cage, as well as making it easier to install the cross bar I made, I got it bolted on, now it's ready for me make the two tubes that get bolted to the cage flanges & go back about 17 inches where they will get welded to the cross bar, I'll just tac weld everything, then wait for this weekend when my son can finish weld everything
I won't know if the cross bar will be removable once the short pieces of tubing are welded on, I hope it goes on with out having to remove the engine &/or the transmission

Pics of the cross bar

Here it is on the rear torsion housing I used as a jig to fabricate it (BTW, I didn't weld any of this, I'm only good for welding sheet metal)

Here it is on the V-Rod, the batteries in my camera died on me otherwise I would have gotten a few more pics of the wheel well

Ron

RSS
Old December 5th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #208
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Looks substantial. I saw some trick looking LED lights at the auto supply the other day, a six or eight inch long strip by an inch wide. That might be the hot setup for a third brake light.
V8Transporter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 03:37 AM   #209
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I have seen the lights your talking about, I'll come up with something once the new year comes around, that is IF I'm able to save enough money
Seems every time I save up 2/3 of the money to buy a counter weight stroker crankshaft, something goes bad on my wife's car or the house, her car is first priority, & depending on what it is with the house, it comes first, my car is last
Hell I have been saving for that crankshaft since 1998, that's when I blew the engine in my Rail Buggy off road, I had the case line bored, then I decked the case halves where the jugs rest as well as drilled out most of the oil galley plugs, I need to get my shop in order & get everything hooked up so I can get back to machining parts, then just maybe I'll be able to save enough money to rebuild the engine that I started a little over 15 years ago

As for the rear cage on my car goes, it's freezing rain here at the moment, should be snow later today, so I'm gonna hafta bundle up & get everything tac welded so my son can weld it all together tonight or tomorrow
Until I can buy some of those LED lights, I have just the thing for a third brake light, I'll see if I can get a picture of it later today

Ron

RSS
Old December 8th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #210
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Saturday night I went out to finish up my rear bumper cage, I wasn't feeling all that well all day Saturday, but at 10pm I was feeling good, so I went out & got everything ready for this morning so I could put it on & be done with it, except for a trailer hitch, but that can wait until next weekend so my son can do the welding, he's been working out of town for the past few weeks

I also took a picture of the thermometer last night so I could give somebody a tough time about working in the cold, just dress warm & think about being in the desert, it works for me until my fingers go numb, that just means it's time to go in to get warm

Here it is complete, it just needs to be finish welded, once I get it finished & on I'll go back & do some work on the wheel wells where I had to remove so much sheet metal

This is the only thing I don't like about it, the rear end of the car is basically round & the cage is square, so I plan to make a different bumper/cage so it matches the body a bit more

Here it is finished & on including the tail lights, I plan to make new tail light buckets/housings some day & get the LED lights

Next is a front cage bumper which I'll build to fit the car's shape

Ron

RSS
Old December 8th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #211
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Bring the kitty in from the cold!!!!!!!!
Jeff
Old December 8th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #212
V8Transporter
Forum Member

By comparison here, it's a balmy 33 degrees. 'Got our woodstove loaded up and it's close to 70 in the house. The bumper looks good!
Old December 9th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #213
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiI View Post
Bring the kitty in from the cold!!!!!!!!
Jeff
IF that was my kitty I'd let her in, I at least make sure she has plenty of food to eat everyday, I'm the only person that feeds her except Sundays once in a while, then my oldest grand daughter feeds her

Today I tried to find a better spot to mount my radio in my V-Rod, I had it in the glove box until the cardboard decided to break down & disintegrate, now I'm thinking about doing the Bug hood thing under the dash, just not sure if I wanna make it go all the way down to the center tunnel of not
I have a brand new re-pop hood that came with the car, I was told it doesn't even match up close, so it looks like I may cut it up
I also did a search & found a few pictures of what others have done as well as a few old threads where all the pics are gone, so if anybody has any pictures of how & where they mounted a radio in their Bug's besides the original place I'd greatly appreciate it

Tomorrow's plans are to modify a trailer hitch I have from one of the many S10 Blazers to fit the rear bumper, then I can go pick up my new (to me) compressor, this one should be capable of running most air tools that my current compressor won't, & since my current compressor hasn't worked for the past few months, I'll be happy not to pay the $1.00 every few days to fill up my one tire that has a slow leak
I have checked it for leaks, but just can't seem to find it, it will hold air if I drive it everyday, but if I let it sit all weekend, Monday it has about 20 psi in it, if it sits for 5 days or more it goes completely flat on the bottom

Ron

RSS
Old December 9th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #214
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

If you're giving her noms, you now have a kitty! NOW bring her inside, it's going to get really cold and they like blankets on laps and good scratchies!
Jeff
Old December 11th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #215
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
If you're giving her noms, you now have a kitty! NOW bring her inside, it's going to get really cold and they like blankets on laps and good scratchies!
Jeff
Bubbas (that's what we call the cat even tho she's a she) has a nice warm place to stay in with plenty of insulation, she can also get into my garage, so she's fine
Plus, if I'd let the cat in the house, my wife would throw me & the cat outside into the cold, I'm not sleeping in the cold, hell I hafta start wearing a thick heavy coat (not a jacket) when it gets below 65 degrees F

I could probably get a job at the local paint store shaking cans of paint between November 1st thru April 1st

Back to the "Fire Bugz"
Today I dug out 3 different trailer hitches I have, two are from S10 Blazers & are the Reese type, & one is just a bolt on the rear bumper type, I have had it on most of my cars since I built my Rail Buggy so I could tow it, I also had it mounted on the front of my Blazer because it was easier to maneuver the trailer by pushing it up the driveway, it's a tight squeeze & the trailer has a short tongue, it can be a real PITA trying to back it in between the car port posts & the wall that protrudes out from the house 2 feet, that leaves a bit over 3 inches on each side to get thru
One hitches from my Blazers is the bigger 2 inch square hole & the other uses the 1-1/2 or 1-3/4 inch square hole, still unsure which one to use, thinking I should probably use the smaller one since I don't plan on towing anything very heavy
I just need to get the plug out of the square hole in the smaller hitch, it was in it when I got it, it's like the plastic caps that you stick in when your not using it, except it's steel & is rusted in purty dadgum good, I have tried beating it out after soaking in oil for several days, I have also tried heat with no luck, thinking I'm a hafta put it on my mill & cut it out
Then I need to cut the width of it to fit between the rear cage by cutting a 1-1/2 inch notch in it at an angle on both sides so it's a good fit, that way it will be much easier to weld, my son is a pipe fitter & a damn good welder, so I should be able to trust that it won't break, then I need to buy some grade 8 bolts for where the cage bolts to the rear trans mount as well as the upper shock bolts, not really sure if the shock bolts are strong enough, so I'd rather be safe & just replace them to be safe, I'd hate to have a soft bolt break & see my trailer pass me or worse, hit something or somebody & cause serious injury, I once saw a horse trailer with 2 horses all by it's self go thru an intersection & right thru the kitchen of the corner house, there was an older couple in there mid 80's that had just got up from eating dinner at the kitchen table minutes before the horses & trailer crashed thru their kitchen wall, no one was hurt, not even the horses but it was a sight to see, the trailer broke loose & traveled about 500 feet before hitting the house

Ron

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; December 27th, 2013 at 01:48 AM.
Old December 11th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #216
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Give Bubbas a scratch for me!
Jeff
Old December 16th, 2013, 05:28 AM   #217
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Give Bubbas a scratch for me!
Jeff
I'll give Bubbas a scratch for you everyday
I hafta say I never liked cats as all, then my wife & kids got a cat around 1994, it was a crazy cat, but I learned to live with it
Fast forward to April 23rd 1996 I bought 3 cans of the cheapest primer I could find $0.99 at K-Mart, it was to spray on my rail buggy frame rails after I welded a few pieces onto it, I left the plastic bag on the kitchen table, then it was time to put my kids to bed, the oldest was 9 & the youngest was 3, they were in bed
That's when I noticed the bag of spray pain on the kitchen table, I thought I had better put them away in a cabinet in the basement so they couldn't get to them & paint everything in sight before I got home from work the next evening
I picked up the bag, went down the steps & proceeded to put the can into a cabinet when the plastic bag ripped open, the one can left in the bag hit the floor & split the seam open, paint was shooting up against my leg when all of a sudden the can rolled on it's side & started spinning in circles & got lodged under the hot water heater, & yes it was the older type which had a pilot light that stayed lit at all times
Then it happens, "WAABOOM" the pilot light & aerosol went up in a flash of fire, I didn't get burnt, but I ran out of the laundry room & grabbed the fire extinguisher, but the basement was already full of flames all the way from the hot water heater to where I had picked up the fire extinguisher, so I dropped it & started yelling for my 2 boys to get out of the house, we grabbed blankets as they were both in underwear, I called 911 from the phone in the house, I told them about the fire & said I to get out of the house, the 1st to show up was a police man, he asked if everyone was out of the house, which I replied yes, then he asked if we had any pets, my heart just broke in two, I forgot all about the cat, he couldn't get out of the basement do to the fire
Ever since that moment I have had a soft spot about cats, I once hated them, but now I love them

Everytime I'm working on my V-Rod Bubbas has to come sit in top of me when I'm laying under the car, when I'm not laying under the car, she is right at my side rubbing all over me, yeah she gets in the way, but I just let her do what she does, she reminds me of the cat I thoughtlessly killed, as I said, if it was up to me alone, she would be an inside cat, I'm the only one who feeds her, I open the door & shake the bag & she comes running as fast as she possibly can
Then one time we forgot to get cat food, when I did get some I filled her food bowl up with way to much food, later that day she brought me a present, it was a dead mouse, shew left it next to her bowl, I believe it was a reminder that I gave her too much food & she can find food all on her own

Sorry about such a long story, but it's something I think about every time I have an aerosol paint can in my hand, I never ever bring them in the house at all, we had an electric hot water heater installed, & the pilot light is the new kind that only light long enough to fire up the furnace

Now I have work to do on the V-Rod
Later

Ron

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; December 27th, 2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old December 17th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #218
V8Transporter
Forum Member

I'm glad you take care of 'your' cat. I have three feral cats (of five) which I trapped and had 'fixed' and given their shots a few months back. They sleep in my sidecar out in the carport. While they won't let me touch them, they've gained weight and crouch on either side of me while I feed them twice a day. The two kittens have moved on to mooch at one of my neighbors, but stop by on occasion to climb up on my small shop's roof and tease my dogs.
Old December 17th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #219
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

We have lived in this house for 20 years this past November 6th, in those 20years there have been 8 families move out & leave either all their cats, or at least one behind
Now there is just one ferrel cat that the guy who just moved out from the house next door to me, but I think they may have gotten it because I haven't seen it in a few weeks, I try never to feed the left behind cats because they never leave & leave cat shit in my wife's flower beds

Bubbas is my oldest grand daughter's cat, she just turned 9 years old a few weeks ago, she got the cat for her 2nd birthday, that's why I feed her, if she would have just shown up one day I'd have never fed her
She did sneak into our house today for about an hour, I went down in thge laundry room to wash my hands & there she was laying right where out cat laid all the time

Ron

RSS
Old December 19th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #220
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I put a trailer hitch on, it's a bit much, but the easiest to make fit

Ron

RSS
Old December 24th, 2013, 04:05 AM   #221
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

As of this coming March 15th, it will be 3 years since I first drove my V-Rod, I've put just under 25,000 miles on it so far, & the only real problem I have had since driving it is the engine leaking oil, at first it was blow by, I put a set of used rings on it & it was ok for a while, then it started leaking out from behind the crank pulley, so I bought a sand seal pulley & put it on, but yet it still leaked a bit of oil, mostly when going up a hill
So I replaced the piston rings with brand new ones, it helped with the blow by, but it was still pushing oil out from the rear of the engine, I then added valve cover vents, it helped, but it still leaked when going up a hill, but by the time you stop & look the oil has gotten onto the pulley & slung oil everywhere

So, I'm gonna wait until I have my next 10 days when I don't need a car (& it's above 40 degrees F) pull the engine, tear it down, split the case halves & reseal them & hope I fixed this problem once & for all, I'm just tired of having an engine compartment that looks well oiled, I could probably remove all the paint from the inside of the deck lid, & it would never rust from all the oil it has on it's inside

It's not like I'm adding oil to it everyday, or even once a week, I add about a pint of oil every 1000 miles, but since I had my oil line break from where I had removed my full flow oil filter it has just bothered the hell out of me, I think I went 4 months when it didn't leak one drop of oil at all, & all the other VW's I have had, only one leaked oil more than this one, & that was because it had a crack in the case where some3 one tightened the oil sending until to tight & put a slight crack in the case, J/B Weld fixed that until I finally over rev'd the engine while off road in my Rail Buggy, the front thrust bearing spun & ruined the case, but at 7000 + RPM's I kinda expected something to give
Now every time I go up a slightly steep hill, I smell oil burning & oil is all over the rear section of the engine

DAWN is getting expensive having to clean it once or twice a month, & now that it's Winter time, it doesn't get cleaned as often as I would like to, & I DON"T like a filthy engine

Ron

RSS
Old December 24th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #222
Number1tileguy
Site Supporter

Ron,

I am constantly amazed at the work and the transitions that your volksrod has undergone...

Keep up the good work and good luck with the teardown

Have a "Merry Christmas" Buddy...

67' Volksrod 2276cc (sold)

72' Baja Champion SE 1776cc

66' Volkstruck 1641cc
Number1tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #223
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1tileguy View Post
Ron,

I am constantly amazed at the work and the transitions that your volksrod has undergone...

Keep up the good work and good luck with the teardown

Have a "Merry Christmas" Buddy...

Thank ya
I try to make changes to it every year, that way at the shows I put it in, it gives everyone something else to look at, altho next year I would like nothing more than to get the top chopped, but money is getting tougher & tougher to come by, so I'm not sure what to change on it next, but I'll come up with something

Ron

RSS
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:00 PM   #224
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

This time of year is terrible to drive a VW in unless you have upgraded the windshield washer system to electric, I have been planning to do so since last winter, but I just keep putting it off

Tomorrow I'm gonna put in an old reservoir from one of my Cadillac parts cars & a switch, that was I'll be able to see when it's misting out, or the car or truck in front of me sends up a nice fine dirty mist onto the windshield, if you turn on the wipers it just makes it tougher to see where your going

So I'm finally gonna fix that problem, it gets old stopping every time you can't see just to clean the windshield

Ron

RSS
Old January 9th, 2014, 11:17 PM   #225
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Huh.

I don't seem to have that problem...

Oh, wait. I live in Arizona. 65 and not a cloud in the sky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote