- by bugdust
- by Vrshack
- by bugwhat

Old November 6th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #1301
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: O/T computer help desk thread

Any ideas on who (if anyone) is leading the Hard Drive game these days? Normally it switches every few months, Seagate is good, WD is decent, Maxtor is crap... then Seagate is crap, Maxtor is good, etc..

2TB drives are about a hundred bucks a piece now.. Thinking of buying two more and running em in RAID with the two I already have for 4TB total with redundancy..

I definitely need to re-install my OS at this point, it's just too retardley bogged down to be anything but an overused registry and low system drive space..

Thinking of doing away with my old mentality of partitioning drives for quicker access.

Right now my internal drives are: 1 500GB drive, and 2 2TB drives.

The 500GB has a 30GB C:, a 377GB D: and the rest tied up in an old linux partition.

The 2TB drives have the same set up of a 200GB partition and a 1.62GB partition

I have one 2TB external, but about 3TB of videos and music, so maybe I'll get another external, back everything up and format everything to bring them back to one partition.. Buy 2 more 2TB internals, set em up in RAID, and re-install XP on the 500GB using the 4TB RAID array for storage.

course, I never did get it figured out to boot from a single drive and run RAID on other drives.. maybe buy a second 500GB drive to have the entire thing run in RAID..

edit: nevermind.. current motherboard only supports 4 SATA drive, so I could RAID the 4TB..

am I dumb for nothing liking my system files to be on a partition with my storage? I guess if I RAID it, it shouldn't matter because if the drive fails I got the backup..

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #1302
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

My son has a Toshiba laptop. He knocked it off his bed and it landed on the charger plug, bending the plug. I bought a new charger (not a Toshiba but replacement) and it doesn't charge. I took it to BestBuy and tried one of their Toshiba demo chargers and it still wouldn't work. I don't know if the charger is plugged in to the motherboard or hard-wired. It is under warranty for a couple more weeks but we have had issues with the company the warranty is through and read nothing but bad reviews about them (not fixing it right, keeping items for 6 months, etc). I got a quote from CompUSA but it was almost as much as I paid for the laptop new.

Question: Is there a charger than can plug into a USB port instead? I'm about ready to open this thing up myself and see what's up. Ideas?

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
bugdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 06:04 AM   #1303
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Well, I began work on Operation "install xp pro on a RAIDed 2tb system" last night...

disconnect 500gb drive, connect two 2tb drives, enter BIOS, enable RAID, enter RAID utility, see an error and request to rebuild, rebuild, reboot, same thing. scratch head.. notice BIOS says I'm using HDDs at locations 1 & 2 with no drive at locations 0 & 4.. scratch head, think, "hmmm... maybe the drive needs to be at location 0?" make that change, RAID utility says array is healthy, smack forehead.

Drop XP Pro install cd into drive, setup refuses to admit I have any hard drives. reboot. check BIOS and RAID again, both drives showing healthy there.

Disconnect drives, reconnect 500gb drive, boot into windows fine, google problem. Find message board explaining the use of nLite. discover system doesn't see my DVD drive anymore. google error code, learn how to delete registry entries to force the system to refresh itself and find DVD drive again. Create my own custom Windows Installation disc with Mass Storage drivers and RAID drivers included.

Disconnect 500gb, reconnect two 2tbs, same problem.

give up.

Going to ask the IT guys at work if I can sign out some antiques for the weekend. Gonna need a floppy drive, cable, and single floppy disk, so I can have my motherboard drivers cd create a boot disk for me so I can install the RAID drivers during the windows install.

Hopefully they have a drive and disk laying around I can borrow and hopefully it works..

EDIT: I now have a floppy drive, cable and disk. Gonna give it a go when I get home tonight.

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========

Last edited by tattooed_pariah; November 30th, 2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old November 30th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #1304
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

XP 32bit? Probably can't handle the drive sizes..... I have done a work-around on a slave drive, but never done a raid system on anything larger than 60 gb..... I can't see why the drive sizes should have ever mattered..... But sometimes it does.
Old November 30th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #1305
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTRODS View Post
XP 32bit? Probably can't handle the drive sizes..... I have done a work-around on a slave drive, but never done a raid system on anything larger than 60 gb..... I can't see why the drive sizes should have ever mattered..... But sometimes it does.
It's probably the same reason why they never did 4-digit years until 1999, just a lack of foresight. I'm hoping that maybe the nVidia raid on my mobo is just something strange and "special" and so the drivers for it aren't in the general universal driver packs. The mobo CD has a boot function that will format a RAID driver floppy for you, but I threw away the last of my floppy drives a couple of years ago and just about all my floppies a few months ago (I know I did it backwards...)

Luckily nLite saves your previous set ups, so if this works, I can just reconnect the 500gb (I think I'm gonna leave it as is as a back up for whatever reasons), and re-burn my custom install dvd. I wish I would have discovered nLite years before, you can preset all sorts of crap like the way things are displayed and what icons are on the desktop and whatnot and make it a fully automated install.

I usually wind up formating and installing every 1.5-3 years and I wind up spending the first hour or so reconfiguring windows to display how I want it to.. Now it's built right into the install how I want it to look

EDIT:

By the way, if anyone else decides to try nLite, do NOT do what I did! I don't care much since I'm not going to use my old install except for troubleshooting or whatever, but on the nLite page, there are ads at the top that at a quick glance look like the download button for the progrma, they ARE NOT! it's some bullshit adware crap.. the actual program is a link on the left of the page.. I was pissed at myself when halfway through the install I realized that these weren't BS programs bundled with nLite, these were BS programs google just tricked me into installing...

===========

Last edited by tattooed_pariah; November 30th, 2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old November 30th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #1306
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

Would partitioning the drives help or hinder?
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #1307
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiI View Post
Would partitioning the drives help or hinder?
Jeff
I always write a seperate partition for the OS so that if something goes awry, I don't lose everything, I just wipe that partition and reinstall the OS.

I think I have some kinda issue though because this 500gb drive has a 30gb partition for windows and it's damn near full, I have less than 1gb available and I install ALL my programs and games on a different partition so there shouldn't be anything there but XP stuff..

This is starting to piss me off.. that FDD from work doesn't work. I think it's dead cause it doesn't even spin up or light at all on boot. I've followed the tutorials and burned 3 different install discs and every one has the same issue. BIOS and the RAID utility recognize the array and report it healthy, and the XP install says I have no hard drives.

after 5 hours, I'm done fucking with it for tonight, not sure what i'll wind up doing now.. prolly google more later, but for now I'm drinking instead.

===========

Old December 12th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #1308
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

Skype SUCKS.

My Dad is struggling with this piece of crap,

for one of my mother's stupid old friends.
Brand new laptop. Latest version of Skype.

Send emails to add contacts ?

Most likely they never arrive.
We tried 4 different emails, each with different providers. Only one arrived.

Not amused.

Any suggestions ?

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #1309
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Skype SUCKS.

My Dad is struggling with this piece of crap,

for one of my mother's stupid old friends.
Brand new laptop. Latest version of Skype.

Send emails to add contacts ?

Most likely they never arrive.
We tried 4 different emails, each with different providers. Only one arrived.

Not amused.

Any suggestions ?

skype is pretty bad... Genia and I use it for "date nights" (ahh the joys of living 400 miles from your significant other), but the video lags a lot, the audio gets digitally choppy (sound like a robot) and sometimes it takes a couple of times to connect..

It works, but not very well..

===========

Old December 13th, 2012, 08:21 AM   #1310
crack monkey
Capt A's super package

grumble grumble.... putting windows 8 on a windows 7 machine.... grumble grumble.... 8 hours later..... ugh
So don't tell me that I wouldn't drive to VT to pick up a rusted piece of shit.~scott76
Quote:
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.~steve
Random stuff I am looking for: Dont think there is anything at the moment
www.solar4soldiers.org (I am starting a non-profit to put solar panels on to disabled veterans homes. PM me for more details)
crack monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #1311
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

I put win8 on one of my laptops..... It is now a large cell phone and everything is run as "apps".... There's only a couple of things cool about it..... The rest is just smoke and mirrors. I wouldn't do it again if I had a chance to do it over.

Not a fan.
Old February 28th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #1312
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Not really a problem I need help with, just wanted to brag

I bought my current PC in 2007, it's served me well, but it bogs down a lot in Windows these days (fresh format and xp pro install just a couple of months ago), and I have to turn game settings way down and it still lags.. so I decided it was time to blow some savings and upgrade..

Old system:
ASRock motherboard
AMD Phenom 9600 Quad core CPU
4 gbs of RAM
XFX 640MB video card

New system:
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z motherboard
AMD FX8150 8 Core CPU with liquid cooler
32gb of g.skill RAM
XFX 3gb video card
Windows 7 Professional

So far the Windows disc and CPU/cooler have arrived, RAM and video card should be here in about 4-7 days, and the motherboard is backordered ALL OVER the internet. I found it cheapest from Amazon ($230), but they are out of stock, the cheapest I could find it in stock was $290, Most places are expecting shipments in about 2 weeks, so hopefully I can put this beast together by the end of March, which would kick ass because I pre-ordered Star Craft II: Heart of the Swarm, and it's street date is March 12th.

I rarely play video games, but I'm tired of em being laggy as shit, this should keep me in speed gaming heaven for at least a year or three..

Also the video card comes with Bioshock Infinite which looks kinda cool, and Crysis 3, which I'm not so much interested in, but it's a brand new game and it's free.. :P

Can't wait to put it together and maybe finally play Fallout New Vegas without it lagging and crashing, and play a huge map in Civilization V without it constantly stopping to redraw terrain..

===========

Old February 28th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #1313
Doc
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooed_pariah View Post
Also the video card comes with Bioshock Infinite which looks kinda cool, and Crysis 3, which I'm not so much interested in, but it's a brand new game and it's free.. :P

Can't wait to put it together and maybe finally play Fallout New Vegas without it lagging and crashing, and play a huge map in Civilization V without it constantly stopping to redraw terrain..
Nice name drops, waiting on Bioshock infinite(steam punk civil war era) compleatly insaine, like if we had steam power in the 1600's, and just kept building things with that old tech. Don't know it? you should. Have the collectors edition comeing, I get that Maltise Falcon steampunk keychain for the volksrod.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WDQ4FhslSk

As for fallout new vegas(my favorite game of all time) and Civ V-gods and kings(Most crazy chess game around), probaly my #2 fav. I think you might be a pretty cool person. Also congrats on the pc, did that last year myself, but barely have the specs you do.

3.6 mghz, 10 gigs of ram, 800 gigs of drive space, 1 gig ddr4 vid card.... enough to play fallout new vegas with 40 mods, or Civ V with 22 players(max) and alot of city states on a huge map.... those take days/weeks to beat.

Well enjoy man, my Steam name is "Dliteful" if yer on there.
Old February 28th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #1314
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Nice name drops, waiting on Bioshock infinite(steam punk civil war era) compleatly insaine, like if we had steam power in the 1600's, and just kept building things with that old tech. Don't know it? you should. Have the collectors edition comeing, I get that Maltise Falcon steampunk keychain for the volksrod.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WDQ4FhslSk

As for fallout new vegas(my favorite game of all time) and Civ V-gods and kings(Most crazy chess game around), probaly my #2 fav. I think you might be a pretty cool person. Also congrats on the pc, did that last year myself, but barely have the specs you do.

3.6 mghz, 10 gigs of ram, 800 gigs of drive space, 1 gig ddr4 vid card.... enough to play fallout new vegas with 40 mods, or Civ V with 22 players(max) and alot of city states on a huge map.... those take days/weeks to beat.

Well enjoy man, my Steam name is "Dliteful" if yer on there.
I have Bioshock 1 and played about 5 or 6 hours on it, but my current system was barely able to handle it so i lost interest.. Other than my system being shit, it was a pretty fun game.

As for Fallout.... I'm a purist.. I grew up on Fallout 1 and 2, I bought the fancy collector's edition of 3 for the pip boy clock, but when I play 3 or NV, I have to trick myself into believing they aren't fall out games.. 90% of the dry humor easter eggs are gone, it's fps instead of 3rd person turn based, it's just not a fall out game in my opinion.. but it's decent enough.

I have about 52 hours invested into a game of NV but right now, it crashes after about 5 minutes of playing, I think it's something to do with my video card.

I didn't buy any hard drives cause I already have 4.5tbs in my tower :P

I know Civ V can take a long time.. I started a game on the largest map with the most players and played it for about 2 weeks a couple hours a night, but right now, if I move the screen, it seriously takes about 45 seconds to redraw everything, if not more.. I ran out of patience.

sent an add on Steam, but I don't play many multiplayer games and typically play completely random, sometimes for a couple hours in the evening, sometimes I'm up until 4am.. I'm not much of a gamer anymore, but since I only buy computer stuff once every 5 years or so, I try and get the best "gamer" stuff I can at the time because I figure if it was designed to withstand the punishment hardcore gamer tweakers put it through, it should put up with me running it stock.. :P

===========

Old February 28th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #1315
Doc
Forum Member

True stuff, all of it. There is actualy alot more easter eggs then you think in fallout 3... I actualy found a site that listed them and it was insaine, problem is you have 500 differnt nerds building the easter eggs rather then the 4 guys that made fallout 1, so the spectrum is very wide for what genres/time periods they tend to go off. Everything from Conan jokes, to star trek weapons.

After you get your system running, try "Planetside 2", reason is because it's free, and it's the only game right now to test the limits of a PC.... 6,000 person multi player game with high dynamics. Even if you arn't a multi player guy, Rolling a tank in a full division with air support is just fun, there is no more competitive additues, team players win games.
Old March 1st, 2013, 05:33 AM   #1316
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
True stuff, all of it. There is actualy alot more easter eggs then you think in fallout 3... I actualy found a site that listed them and it was insaine, problem is you have 500 differnt nerds building the easter eggs rather then the 4 guys that made fallout 1, so the spectrum is very wide for what genres/time periods they tend to go off. Everything from Conan jokes, to star trek weapons.

After you get your system running, try "Planetside 2", reason is because it's free, and it's the only game right now to test the limits of a PC.... 6,000 person multi player game with high dynamics. Even if you arn't a multi player guy, Rolling a tank in a full division with air support is just fun, there is no more competitive additues, team players win games.
yeah I found some of em.. played fall out 3 for about 35 hours, but then downloaded the patch they released in 2008 (IIRC) that killed everyone's save games, and that pissed me off so much I didn't pick it up for like a year.. never really got back into it after that.

I think part of it too was just my anger at Interplay dying. That company was a staple of my game playing upbringing, and seeing FUBU clothes rip them off (FUBU, For Us, By US vs. Interplay, For Gamers, By Gamers), then to have them go bankrupt and Bethesda buy the rights (I've never been a fan of the Elder Scrolls and similar games, so naturally I didn't like bethesda or the thought of them owning one of "my" games..) it makes it hard for me to consciously like the newer fallouts..

I'll check out Planetside whenever all my parts arrive, sounds pretty interesting, but I'm not a huge fan of multiplayer games, I don't like relying on people in order to play, I just wanna load up a game, screw around for a few minutes, then leave..

===========

Old March 1st, 2013, 10:13 AM   #1317
Doc
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooed_pariah View Post

I'll check out Planetside whenever all my parts arrive, sounds pretty interesting, but I'm not a huge fan of multiplayer games, I don't like relying on people in order to play, I just wanna load up a game, screw around for a few minutes, then leave..
Yeah, basic test... get in a tank barrage, flank a buncha dudes, then hop in a jet or bomber and fly low and fast... then jump into a big war with shit flying everywhere, see if your pc can handle it, and know what to tune if it dosen't work right.... I usealy just jump to the front, or play behind enemy lines.... for fun we even have death races.

Tags
computer, computer help, computer help desk, pos computer, qwerty