Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,380
Total Online: 273

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by Bugula
- by Ozrod

Closed Thread

Old June 6th, 2004, 07:25 PM   #26
pistolpete76
Pinstriper Extraordinaire

i test fitted the bus shifter just now without any bending just to see how much. i do need to take it over and back, i have a big 8ball shifter knob and when in 1st or 3rd id punch the dash everytime, and it cant get past the steering wheel to put it in reverse, so i bend it over and back and it will be cool. I am also going to put a quick shifter kit in it next weekend also, the height of it right now has the 8ball sitting just above the center of the steering wheel which definately looks a lot cooler, as far as extending it goes, i may still add about 8 more inches just to get that over the dash feel, but we will see. the shifter was off a '63 bus and it did bolt straight in nice and easy, should have it all bent and put back in by tomorrow. thanks everyone for your help with this little mod
Old June 6th, 2004, 07:34 PM   #27
ThrasherBill
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally posted by lilbill+Jun 6 2004, 05:40 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lilbill @ Jun 6 2004, 05:40 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-pistolpete76@Jun 5 2004, 09:40 PM
picked up a bus shifter today at the swap meet at the woodburn show for $5 now just have to extend it a little and pop it in, will show pick of finished job
extend it ? what are you going to do, cut a hole in the roof ?? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img] [/b][/quote]
The bus shifter in Herr Pie only comes up to the speaker grille in the dash.

ThrasheR

a silent neighbor lady watching bremelo seeking canadian pinstriping lurker~

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't worry about other people.Most of them don't care about you.
Old June 7th, 2004, 05:59 AM   #28
pistolpete76

sorry to sound like a dumb ass but how do the quick shift kits install and are they easy? ive seen them but never had to put one in
Old June 7th, 2004, 07:27 AM   #29
1slo3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

pete... everytime i read your posts now i hear your accent in my head! of course, i hear voices in my head all the time, so at least this one has a label [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old June 7th, 2004, 08:08 AM   #30
lilbill
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pistolpete76@Jun 7 2004, 05:59 AM
sorry to sound like a dumb ass but how do the quick shift kits install and are they easy? ive seen them but never had to put one in
piece o' cake [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
basicly it's just a spacer block that goes between the shifter base and the tunnel and a round ball like piece that slides over the stick on top of the old pivot ball. it closes up the shift gate by changing the fulcrum point spacing of the shifter.
if you're putting it on a custom stick either slide the new pivot ball in place before welding the stick or make sure you can still get it on after the modification.
Old June 7th, 2004, 10:47 AM   #31
pistolpete76

G"DAY MATES haha, yeah i cant hide where i come from anymore now that ive met people at the show. thats cool about the shift kit, i was hoping it just fitted between there. the shifter itself is a stock '63 bus one so its basically the same as my original shifter and that part will remain the same, so it looks like it will be a piece of cake, that swhat i like to hear
Old June 7th, 2004, 11:18 AM   #32
Scott H
Forum Member

Hey Pete, if a few pictures of the shift kit installation will help, check out this page:
http://huelsmann.us/bugman/ShifterTech.html
The shift kit stuff is down around step 13.
member #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-nor View Post
sliding volksrod discount, depending on how much i like you.
Old June 7th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #33
PAPA_SMURF
Forum Member

Didn't somebody have a problem with the bus shifter in a bug and have to cut it off and weld it to the botom of the bug shifter. Cant remember who?

66 schwinn, 04 Jetta
https://www.facebook.com/joe.lynch.739
vwclubofhawaii.ning.com
Old June 7th, 2004, 05:32 PM   #34
pistolpete76

ahh your the man scott, thanks, i just got home from the parts store with my kit. I have already tried the shifter and it fits fine, i read the intructions on the install and was a little confused so thanks a bunch for the link.
And Papa Smurf, what the hell? where did you come from all of a sudden? maybe its not all of a sudden but its the first time ive seen your bug in your avatar there, it's freakin awesome man, glad to see it
Old June 7th, 2004, 05:35 PM   #35
dayzwalker
Forum Member

its not his...even though he wants it to be :P

A Fetivus for the Rest-iv-us

Old June 7th, 2004, 05:42 PM   #36
pistolpete76

too bad, nice flame job on that one! and hay Scott, wouldnt you know it but i cant open that link, it tries to for about half an hour then stops
Old June 7th, 2004, 05:43 PM   #37
ThrasherBill
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I just saw that car on the HAMB. Here's the full size picture

Looks like a slant chop, shaved drip rails and maybe raked b pillars?

ThrasheR

a silent neighbor lady watching bremelo seeking canadian pinstriping lurker~

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't worry about other people.Most of them don't care about you.
Old June 7th, 2004, 06:28 PM   #38
pistolpete76

ok time for an update, turns out i worked out by myself how the quick shifter kit goes, and i found out the problem that i bet papa smurf was mentioning. I installed the kit with the BUS shifter and screwed it all down and found that it was as tight as hell to shift gears. i took the bus shifter out and held it again the BUG one to find that the bottom piece is about an inch longer on the BUS one. with me so far? so then i took the BUG and BUS housing and noticed that the BUS one is that much taller to go with the bus shifter of course, so moral of the story any one going to do what i just did, is just to make sure you buy a BUS shifter that has the housing with it because you will need it, if you only have your bug one then you will have to chop and weld which defeats the purpose of this being a simple mod to do. so now i put the BUS housing on with the kit and bus shifter, and its perfect now, i did have to bend it back and over to clear the dash and wheel but its ready to roll now. thanks to all you guys for your help threw it, will post a pic in a second here
Old June 7th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #39
dayzwalker
Forum Member

wait, so you used the bus housing right? but I though that the bus housing made it too long to fit in the bug? you confused me Pete! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img]

Old June 7th, 2004, 07:10 PM   #40
Scott H
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pistolpete76+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pistolpete76)</div><div class='quotemain'>and hay Scott, wouldnt you know it but i cant open that link, it tries to for about half an hour then stops[/b]

Hmmm ... it's not working for me either now .... it was working when I posted it earlier. Sorry `bout that. There's lots of good information at that site, hopefully it's only down temporarily.

<!--QuoteBegin-ThrasherBill

I just saw that car on the HAMB. Here's the full size picture[/quote]
What's the story on it over there? Is there a thread about it? More pics? Got a link? Want more questions?

... just noticed that it's got 5-lug wheels (non-wide 5).
member #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-nor View Post
sliding volksrod discount, depending on how much i like you.
Old June 7th, 2004, 08:48 PM   #41
pistolpete76

its ok man, i got it all sorted out, and dayz, here's the pic of the finished deal. which consists of a '63 bus shifter and housing with quick shift kit. only fab work was bending the shifter back to clear the dash, test driven and it is just the coolest freakin mod i have done to a car for so cheap. what do you guys think?
Old June 7th, 2004, 08:52 PM   #42
p-nor
Forum Member

i like the "hidden" stereo. :peek: reminds me of mine in my '62 many years ago. too poor to spring for a fancy glovebox liner, i just threw the radio in the glovebox and called it quits, mine was cassette so i didn't have to worry about skipping. :D oh, nice shifter too. :D

paul

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
Old June 7th, 2004, 09:12 PM   #43
dayzwalker
Forum Member

That looks friggin sweet Pete!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smokin.gif[/img] But question...what do you do when you have to go into reverse, no button or lever to pull? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/confused.gif[/img] Where'd u pick up the 8ball knob, it totally completes the look! :D

Old June 7th, 2004, 10:05 PM   #44
pistolpete76

it all works great, with my car you push down then left and back so no button is needed, the 8-ball was $9 from Autozone.
Old June 7th, 2004, 10:09 PM   #45
shapinoweno
Forum Member

dayz,
he just presses down and up to the left.....
Just like the stock shifter.......
And as far as the 8 ball shifter, i am a pep boyz employe and if i recall you can pick one of those things along with a cobra head, and skull head at my work.....
By the way pette the shifter is so dam cool....
I want to do that to mine but i cant find a bus shifter......Great job B)
Old June 7th, 2004, 10:10 PM   #46
dayzwalker
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pistolpete76@Jun 7 2004, 11:05 PM
it all works great, with my car you push down then left and back so no button is needed, the 8-ball was $9 from Autozone.
hhhmmm...so why do some shifters have that reverse lever and some seem to not need it like yours? Basically what I am trying to get at is if I'm going to be able to use an early bus shifter for my IRS tranny. The linkage is all the same right? The shifter shouldn't matter...should it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/confused.gif[/img]

edit:
hey Anthony, which pep u work at...the Stevens Creek one?...cause I'm in there all the time it seems like. I've probably seen you and didn't even know it.

Old June 7th, 2004, 10:16 PM   #47
pistolpete76

im not too sure man i just found out what to use from mine from this link, with mine it was important i got an early style so it has the pin style bottom on the shifter, the bus one was identical. with yours id call a VW parts place and tell them the year, i am guessing maybe a shifter off a westy maybe but am not 100% sure. im sure someone will chime in here and save the day, they always do. you should also just pull your shifter out and look at the bottom then go to a swap meet and find a bus one the same, more or less what i did also. my bug was a 65 so i was told any shifter from a 67 down would work and presto it did, hope that helps a little bit anyway
Old June 7th, 2004, 10:16 PM   #48
shapinoweno
Forum Member

ya man i am at stevens creak, i have worked there like 4 months but i just came back to the job after being out a month, cause i riped my acl (dirtbike accident) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img] anyways ya i am there all the time, just look for the guy with puffy ass hair B)
Old June 7th, 2004, 10:18 PM   #49
pistolpete76

you can buy a brand new bus shifter with everything you need from cip1.com for $20 but a trip to a swap meet will save you money, i bought mine for $5 then the quick shift kit for $4, what a bargain
Old June 7th, 2004, 10:46 PM   #50
p-nor
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dayzwalker@Jun 7 2004, 10:10 PM

hhhmmm...so why do some shifters have that reverse lever and some seem to not need it like yours? Basically what I am trying to get at is if I'm going to be able to use an early bus shifter for my IRS tranny. The linkage is all the same right? The shifter shouldn't matter...should it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/confused.gif[/img]

the stock shifters didn't have any buttons or cables for reverse lockout. it's all a matter of how the shifter deals with the reverse lockout plate mounted between the shifter and the tunnel. some them have a cable to pull a disk above the plate, to allow the shifter into reverse, the stock ones you pushed the shifter down to get below the lockout. if you take your shifter out, or look at a few different aftermarket and stock shifters it should make perfect sense.

paul

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
Closed Thread

Tags
tall shifter