Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,379
Total Online: 907

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by Ozrod
- by DrHax

Closed Thread

Old May 11th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #1
rottenpop
Forum Member

Kinda quiet at work today so I got to some homework! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]

I,ve been wanting to have a go at widening some stock steel wheels for ages and finally got my arse in gear and got on with it.

Take one stock Austin steel wheel.

This is isnt a VW wheel, its for one for one of my other projects but the principles will be the same whatever the breed of motor you,re working on.

We would have been like a couple of monkies fucking footballs if it wasn't for Lee.
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:10 PM   #2
rottenpop
Forum Member

First thing to do is seperate the two halves. Find out how your centres are attached to the rim. In this case they were spot welded so out with the drill and git to it.

We would have been like a couple of monkies fucking footballs if it wasn't for Lee.
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:13 PM   #3
rottenpop
Forum Member

There ya go,one disassembled wheel.It,ll take a bit of persuassion to get the centre out but keep hitting that fucker with a hide mallet and she,ll come.

Just mind your fingers........

BASTARD!!!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yelling.gif[/img]

Old May 11th, 2005, 01:16 PM   #4
rottenpop
Forum Member

What we need now is a wider rim for that centre to go into. Whether I got lucky or not,I,ll never know but round the back of the depot, in the scrap pile,I had some Ford Mondeo 14" rims. just so happens the the centre diameter is 308mm, exactly the same as the Austim rim..... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smokin.gif[/img]

This sucker was welded at the rear seam...

Old May 11th, 2005, 01:18 PM   #5
rottenpop
Forum Member

Grind the weld right down and to ease things a little I also torched the centre out as I wont be needing it.

BANG BANG BANG DING DING DING.

Phew,tough wheel.

Old May 11th, 2005, 01:27 PM   #6
rottenpop
Forum Member

So now we have a wide rim and a centre that you know fits your car.Time to make them unite.

After giving them both a quick clean up with the grinder,I trial fitted the two halves. Not a bad fit at all and it took quite a bit of persuasion to make them go together.Not a bad thing as we dont want a sloppy fit at this point.

Now comes the tricky part. The wheel needs to run straight and true and if the centre is off errrrrr,centre,then you gonna git a wobbly wheel [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crybaby.gif[/img] this is a bad thing.......
So I ran mine up on a wheel balancer to check for straightness,not too bad but needed a little tweaking. I figure 1 to 2mm max run out at the rim will suffice.
Obviously everyones not as lucky as me and have access to such machinery so you need to improvise......Bolt the wheel to a spare hub? The car itself? Either will do but make sure you do before the next step. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yelling.gif[/img]

Old May 11th, 2005, 01:37 PM   #7
rottenpop
Forum Member

To make the two halves clamp together well enough for welding and to keep in alignment,I drilled 4 8mm holes through the four mounting webs on the centre section and through the rim.Fit 4 coresponding 8mm bolts and tighten the just enough to "bite".Check the alignment one more time and then fully tighten the bolts to secure the two halves.

Now tis time to weld.

This is a wheel. If it come apart at speed,you might die.Or worse,kill some other unlucky fucker!
So,hows your welding? No,really........

I trust mine and in this case I,m going to do large spot welds through the original holes I drilled in the centre section to get it out AND seam weld as per the Mondeo rim. A little bit belt and braces but as I said before, THIS IS A WHEEL.......

The rather unfinished product. Lots of final prep to do but I now have cool wheels for a car where no wheels existed before. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]

Old May 11th, 2005, 01:40 PM   #8
nastybug
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rottenpop@May 11 2005, 03:37 PM
To make the two halves clamp together well enough for welding and to keep in alignment,I drilled 4 8mm holes through the four mounting webs on the centre section and through the rim.Fit 4 coresponding 8mm bolts and tighten the just enough to "bite".Check the alignment one more time and then fully tighten the bolts to secure the two halves.

Now tis time to weld.

This is a wheel. If it come apart at speed,you might die.Or worse,kill some other unlucky fucker!
So,hows your welding? No,really........

I trust mine and in this case I,m going to do large spot welds through the original holes I drilled in the centre section to get it out AND seam weld as per the Mondeo rim. A little bit belt and braces but as I said before, THIS IS A WHEEL.......

The rather unfinished product. Lots of final prep to do but I now have cool wheels for a car where no wheels existed before. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
ok, I'm doin it.
So really the hard part will be to find a wheel that has the same ID as the stock vdub wheel so the center will fit tight? hmmm...

Great write-up needs to go in the too lazy thread.
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:43 PM   #9
rottenpop
Forum Member

Withthe stock caps on it should hopefully cause the purists to scratch their heads! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
And the trick part I,m working on at the moment is making the valves work,round the back! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]
That should REALLY fuck em up [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img]

Three more to do........ [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sleeping.gif[/img]

Old May 11th, 2005, 01:57 PM   #10
dez
Forum Member

for those in the uk, certain jag steelies are 15x6J, with the same size inner as a vw wheel. it was a common buggy trick to do this, ive had a few pairs that have been done. dunno what you could find the same in the states tho.

oh and 1-2mm runout will be fine, factory production steel wheels for modern cars are only done to 1.5-2mm!!
Old May 11th, 2005, 02:06 PM   #11
RATRODVW
Forum Member

Don't know if it helps, but my widened wheels were made from GM wheels. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old May 11th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #12
hotrodheb
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nastybug@May 11 2005, 01:40 PM
Great write-up needs to go in the too lazy thread.
It already is! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/hello.gif[/img]

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

Old May 11th, 2005, 02:21 PM   #13
Nick
Forum Member

Similar old school trick to reverse the wheels too, great write up. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] <span style="color:red"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">But please, know what you are doing especially the welding</span></span>, if you are uncertain take it to someone else/certified welder or just overlook this thread.

Old May 11th, 2005, 03:04 PM   #14
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

awesome tips....thanx!!!!!!
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:19 PM   #15
georgiaboy
Forum Member

hey rottenpop when you say run-out do you mean wobble of the rim as it rotates?
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:22 PM   #16
Jon
Forum Member

I guess if you were not really confident with your welding skills you could just tack weld it then get a Pro to weld it up for you.

If anyone finds wheels that have the same inner diameter as the stock beetle wheels they should post them. That way everyone will something to reference if they consider doing this. They will know what cars to look for .....

I was thinking also that there could be a way of taking a drum and adding some spacers to get the configuaration you want . Kinda like blocking it up to make your own jig. Maybe on a axle or and old spindle...... A home made alignment jig if you will. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #17
RATRODVW
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon@May 11 2005, 06:22 PM
I was thinking also that there could be a way of taking a drum and adding some spacers to get the configuaration you want . Kinda like blocking it up to make your own jig. Maybe on a axle or and old spindle...... A home made alignment jig if you will. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]

I've been thinking about this for awhile...I think using an axle to make a jig would be the way to do it...
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:41 PM   #18
Jon
Forum Member

A trailing arm turned on its side would be a good start as well. Just cut off what you don't need add a stub and a drum.
Weld or bolt a bracket to the trailing arm to act as a gauge or a mount for a dial indictator and you gotta good jig.
Old September 8th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #19
ppp
Forum Member

did anyone ever find a manufacturer that has the correct inside diameter to match the stock vw wide 5 wheels
Old September 9th, 2005, 08:41 AM   #20
tequilla
Forum Member

Carlisle Tire in So. Cal. (909) area code rolls steel rims and stamps wheel centers. I don't know how helpfull they would be in giving out the rim I.D. and selling rims in small quanities but you could give them a try. They supply a lot of steel wheels to the trailer and automotive industry. I know they should have 15x5.5, 6", 7", 8", and 10" rim widths.

Share your cheese....... here kitty, kitty.......
Old September 9th, 2005, 10:20 PM   #21
zoso
Forum Member

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/

Great guys. If you want a steel wheel they are they folks to talk to. taller, wider, more offest etc etc.
Old September 9th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #22
Hebster52
Forum Member

I did basically the same with my stock 3.00x16 wheels, welded in 6,5 wides instead..

HebsterWerks The secret workshop..
Hebster's projects in the introsection.
Cuttin' them splits up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
"What stripping?... all I see is bare metal!"

Old September 10th, 2005, 08:51 AM   #23
blacktruck
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

aren't you forgetting something?What kind of rims are those?Inquiring minds want to know!
Old September 11th, 2005, 01:43 AM   #24
Hebster52
Forum Member

Sorry.. VW Bora's (Jetta's in US i think?) stock 6,5x16 were the donor wheels... Notic that they only fit to the center of the stock 16 inch for pre-52 beetles...

HebsterWerks The secret workshop..
Hebster's projects in the introsection.
Cuttin' them splits up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
"What stripping?... all I see is bare metal!"

Old September 11th, 2005, 05:48 AM   #25
blacktruck
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

those look like they have a fairly deep offset if you flipped the center over would it still work?Obviously the air valve is something...but if one is already welding...