Newest Member: fabio andrei

Latest Threads
- by cretin
- by yimbo

Old January 16th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #1
amrcnbadaz
Forum Member

Default o/t AMC long term build

This is my Javelin that I started redoing in 2010. Quite honestly, I haven't gotten anything done on it for the last 2 years. Bought a new house, new job, life, yada, yada, yada. Anyway, I am posting up a few posts transferred from an AMC forum. I am going to be busting a move on this bitch again come spring.

Bought it long-distance through internet. Quickly found to be nowhere near what it was supposed to be. (big surprise huh?) Oh well. \

Anyway, a quick rundown on what I started with. It is a 73 Javelin. Originally a 6 cyl car, converted to an alledgedly low mile rebuilt 68 model 290 V8 and a bw35 trans. Recent paint that looked much better in pics. And some "less than pleasant individual" painted all the trim work inside bright orange. Weak huh? It gets better.... trans took a crap apparently while on the trailer on the way home. Awesome! But wait... there's more!!!!! Engine had 2 cracked valves and all the valve seals were destroyed. So that is what I started with.

Last winter, I found a local trans shop where the owner has worked on these trans' before. He did an incredible job!! While he was doing that, I pulled all the interior trim out, stipped all the orange off and found the stainless under it. Then early spring, I reworked the top end of the engine and checked the bottom end. Since the exhaust was falling off as well, (did I forget to mention that?) I had a friend of mine build me a custom system. 3" off the headers, all the way back with no mufflers and dumping out beind the rear tires. This has got to be the best sounding 290! lol
So I drove it over the summer mainly to Cruise-in's and even entered it in one show where I brought home 2nd in "Other:Modified".

Now it is winter #2. I am currently taking the whole car apart for a repaint. I am going to take some pics as I go to keep you all posted. My goal is to get rid of the 20' paint and have it more respectable. I will be painting it Big Bad Blue, by the way. Not sure what I will do in the way of any stripes. I will be getting the "Victory Edition" decals for the front fenders though. So that is where I am today. All work, other than the final spray is being done in my 12X20 "porta garage". I will be working on it every weekend that I possibly can. So I am hoping early spring I will be rolling again. Then next winter..... Interior.

Oh, pics.... Let me give this a shot. I haven't taken any pics since spring other than a bunch of 35mm that I took just before putting it up last weekend. I will scan and post them at a later date.

Thanks for stopping by!

Ian

QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 1 2006, 06:05 PM)

That bike makes my scrotum cry...
Quote:
QUOTE Steve Jan 26, 2008

If one of my buddies pulled into my driveway and got out of that, I'd punch him right in the colon.

That thing looks like a blue clitoris.
amrcnbadaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 04:28 PM   #2
amrcnbadaz
Forum Member

Default Re: o/t AMC long term build

Weekend progress report!

Got some parts pulled off and assessed the damage.

Left front inner fender area looks good and solid

I am planning on replacing the lower radiator support with probably 2"square tube.

Inner door jamb should be an easy sand-n-shoot.

Trunk lid in good shape under the spoiler

Tail panel is a little wavey, but solid enough to work with.

Only 1 small crack in rear spoiler to fix.

Front valance is going to be an adventure. But I think I can get it right again.

Only a small amount of Bondo if left rear quarter to deal with.

Until next time!......... Ya'll come back[/QUOTE]

Quote:
QUOTE Steve Jan 26, 2008

If one of my buddies pulled into my driveway and got out of that, I'd punch him right in the colon.

Old January 16th, 2014, 04:29 PM   #3
amrcnbadaz
Forum Member

Progress report. I have had no time recently, so the car has just been sitting. Yesterday though, I got some more progress done on this mess. Which is what it has turned into. Turns out there is plenty of rust in the quarters after all. I did hunt down some rear section quarter patches for it. At a premium too I might add. $$$

I pulled the rest of the panels loose. Rt door, fender, inner fender, and rocker in very good shape. Thankfully.

Damage on front of right wheel well much less than on the left.

Rear of quarter trashed though.

Don't know if you can see it, but the left door jamb had cracks in it.

Got them welded up, ground down, and skim coat applied.

Cut out first section of left quarter and made patch panel for it.

Cut out lower section on front of left quarter...

Made my own panel...

And it is welded in.

I was out in the sun all day working on it yesterday, and now I feel like crap today. But I am going out anyway and planning on getting the rear patch panel cut and welded on the left side. Hopefully will start on the right quarter today, but I will have to see how I feel.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
QUOTE Steve Jan 26, 2008

Old January 16th, 2014, 04:30 PM   #4
amrcnbadaz
Forum Member

Got some progress done yesterday. The quarter patches are fully welded, ground down and skim coated. I am running way behind schedule, but I will be done eventually... maybe.

[/QUOTE]

Quote:
QUOTE Steve Jan 26, 2008

Old January 16th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #5
amrcnbadaz
Forum Member

But here is where I stopped last weekend. The hull is fully worked. No more rust or dents in it. Sprayed with a high-build primer. Hopefully next weekend I can sand out the jambs and get some color sprayed in them and start putting it back together for paint soon.

[/QUOTE]

Quote:
QUOTE Steve Jan 26, 2008

Old January 16th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #6
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

Nice!
Originally Posted by fishguts
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 05:04 PM   #7
DrHax
Forum Member

Man I wish I had your weather. Its weird not seeing another place with 5 inches of snow on the ground

This project is cool, can't wait to see this advance. Its looking good

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #8
r_u_maching_me
Forum Member

Looks like you have your hands full. Looking good. My dad had a 68 AMX with the 390 and as a kid I thought that had to be the fastest car around. Good times!
r_u_maching_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #9
amrcnbadaz
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
Man I wish I had your weather. Its weird not seeing another place with 5 inches of snow on the ground

This project is cool, can't wait to see this advance. Its looking good
Easy there big man. Those pics were from the summer of 2011. It has been sitting since. Right now it is in the 30's and 40's here in VA, so still to cold for me to be doing much on it. But progress will be picking up on it again soon.

Quote:
QUOTE Steve Jan 26, 2008

Old January 16th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #10
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Looking good! I love Javelins! I have a 71... havent started it yet, someday though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 12:25 AM   #11
DrHax
Forum Member

Talking Re: o/t AMC long term build

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrcnbadaz View Post
Easy there big man. Those pics were from the summer of 2011. It has been sitting since. Right now it is in the 30's and 40's here in VA, so still to cold for me to be doing much on it. But progress will be picking up on it again soon.
I'd take that weather right now Want to trade 12 degrees with over 30 miles per hour winds, with snow blowing around causing white outs. I'd take your 30's and 40's in a heart beat. Thats car working weather. Crap I removed the glass from my drivers side door when it was 28 degrees, because the average of the week before was -18. So 40? 40's beautiful. Statement still applies.

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #12
DocMike
Forum Member

Wow, flashbacks. I had a '72 Javelin when I was a senior in high school back in '78. Man I loved that car. I wish I could get another one. Mine was just an SST but the car lot that I bought it from had installed an AMX rear spoiler. I added an AMX grill and I put driving lights where the turn signals were supposed to go in the grill. Back when everybody was jacking the rear of everything up, my rear springs were settling so I put on some of those spring clamps on the front end to lower the nose a bit. It had a 304 2brl and a three speed so the gas mileage wasn't too bad. I put AMX dual exhaust with glass packs on it so it sounded cool. I sold it when I went into the Army in '82.
Old January 18th, 2014, 05:11 AM   #13
amrcnbadaz
Forum Member

Nice looking ride you had there. The stripe job on it is interesting. I have never seen the rear section loop back around to the door like that. I am planning on lowering the rear of mine to match the front. I am going for a "day 2" look on mine, and I know the shoveled look was big back then, but I prefer low and level.

Quote:
QUOTE Steve Jan 26, 2008

Old January 18th, 2014, 07:50 AM   #14
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Nice looking ride. Back in the late sixties a friend's Mustang fastback (V8 4 speed and with some work done) was stolen and wrecked. He replaced it with a Javelin. We all teased him about owing a, "Rambler," until he showed us that the Javelin was even faster than his 'Stang."
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 12:25 PM   #15
Bugula
Forum Member

I bought a 1980 Spirit. Black on black with an auto on the floor. It had
the Pontiac 2.5 in it. I had planned on Chevy 350 swap. I lost storage and regret losing it.
Bugula is offline   Reply With Quote