Newest Member: syl023h2

Latest Threads
- by cretin
- by yimbo

Old January 11th, 2014, 09:26 PM   #1
DrHax
Forum Member

Cool Corvair engine swap?

Any advice? Is it easier to run an adapted vw transmission Or potentially get everything nicked from the corvair directly. Any help and info would nice Granted thats why I'm here and not at the bloody fuckin' samba "Its easier to do a subbie conversion" Not the look i'm going for . I love that old school type of stuff, so throwing a Corvair engine hey that fits perfectly with my plans for this bug.

I know swing arm corvairs are the one to look for since I have a 1968 bug. I know project X has one done to it, and I've dug around the forum, got more information here then I did searching the web

Any opinions on the subject matter?
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 08:58 AM   #2
alykat
Site Supporter

Default Re: Corvair engine swap?

STF = shoptalkforums.com -----just in case you were wondering. One of the members here on Volksrods has a Corvair rig that you might want to look up.
Old January 12th, 2014, 09:25 AM   #3
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

KDF mangler like the Corvair motors.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 11:21 AM   #4
DrHax
Forum Member

Well I know theres two ways I can do it (one way I really want and one way I will do it if its "easier to accomplish". Since the rotation of the corvair engine is the opposite of the vw bugs, you either need to A get a corvair motor running in reverse rotation, or swap the R/P, or a get an earlier bus transmission without reduction gears (knowing how the twin cities vw club sucks up bus parts like a hover that isn't happening any time soon ) Or running a corvair straight up transaxle and cutting metal to make it fit personally I like this route because I could run a powerguilde transmission, Granted after browsing craigslist theres a corvair expert in my neck of the woods... He has bunch of parts and breathes these things apparently. I'm wondering if he has any old school conversion parts hes yanked off of a few vair motors Or one sitting in back. Might be worth a call just to see.
Old January 12th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #5
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

Any manual VW transaxle can have the ring and pinion "flipped", to compensate for the reverse engine rotation.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #6
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Hey, I just replied to your PM with likely way too much info. Having a Corvair guru in your neck of the woods is a big plus.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #7
DrHax
Forum Member

Talking Re: Corvair engine swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
Hey, I just replied to your PM with likely way too much info. Having a Corvair guru in your neck of the woods is a big plus.
Hey you know what? its cool hearing that. When your on the samba they just bash it and say your car will explode, or just do a subbie conversion. I always liked corvairs and bugs, and hotrods, sooo why not combine all three? Also, In the car club we got some people who know corvairs, heck the one whose most cool with me use to ice race them

I was also gifted a book in my automotive class by the teacher, a 1967 text book they had back in the Ol days It had some stuff on the corvair in it, also actually tells you how to fix parts! Unlike the modern day one we had which mentioned "Replace" for everything. I learned more skimming through that smaller 1967 text book then I did that modern ASE standard text book. Most it can be summed up. Find problem replace part, regardless of whats wrong. you're not certified to replace it? Find somebody who is. Basically plug in the computer and replace.
Old January 12th, 2014, 02:48 PM   #8
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

From my experience, when some AH of an 'expert' (X being an unknown quantity, 'spert' being a drip under pressure) tells you that, "it won't work, can't be done, etc.", it's not only because they can't do it, but they don't possess the creative vision to even consider it...grrr.
Figure out what you want to do, build it, and as we used to say out in the field, "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke."

Anyway, like I said, if you have a Corvair guy or two around, and by now there are a lot more options than back in the seventies and these guys will be familiar with them, you're good to go.:grin
Old January 12th, 2014, 04:05 PM   #9
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
From my experience, when some AH of an 'expert' (X being an unknown quantity, 'spert' being a drip under pressure) tells you that, "it won't work, can't be done, etc.", it's not only because they can't do it, but they don't possess the creative vision to even consider it...grrr.
Figure out what you want to do, build it, and as we used to say out in the field, "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke."

Anyway, like I said, if you have a Corvair guy or two around, and by now there are a lot more options than back in the seventies and these guys will be familiar with them, you're good to go.:grin
Also i'm stubborn 90% of the people who have seen my bug have told me to scrap it. The Vw experts agreed on that one The people in the car club saw I wasn't cutting up a mint cherry and are behind me 100% I guess having a young kid straight out of highschool taking advance interest in such a hobby proposing ideas, and jumping into the scene they like.
Hey and honestly with the local car shows we have in my neck of the woods the people enjoy the cars and help one another out Even if the corvair expert is a dead end, and a purist. He might have the gutted parts of a conversion lying about if he's gathered motors. Though I really like the idea of putting a powerglide in. The only question I have is the axles.
You mentioned in your message about adapters. I've seen those pop up on a sterling forum (Guy was scrapping the entire thing to make his kit car pure.. .Kit car purists WHO KNEW?! ) However i'm wondering if I could rig something... Damnit I wish I was still in school Damnit why did I have to get A's and B's and graduate.
Old January 13th, 2014, 12:26 PM   #10
DrHax
Forum Member

Posted a picture of Operation X in my "car club" page, and people loved it The ice racer friend who I talked about who knows corvairs is behind me on this and knows some people who might be able to help with this Hes going to see where his old racing parts ended up Hell yeah this might become a reality! I would be chopping the bug today if we weren't suppose to get hit with snow Still...awesome

We'll see what happens. When I stop chopping the car i'll post my attempts here. However if ti doesn't snow I'll be chopping it tomorrow.

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
Old January 13th, 2014, 06:34 PM   #11
colorado_aircooled
Forum Member

Glad to hear someone else thinking about using a Corvair motor. My next build if time allows ,is going to be a Dune Buggy with a Corvair motor and done up to look like the ones,that raced on Pikes Peak.
colorado_aircooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 06:36 PM   #12
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado_aircooled View Post
Glad to hear someone else thinking about using a Corvair motor. My next build if time allows ,is going to be a Dune Buggy with a Corvair motor and done up to look like the ones,that raced on Pikes Peak.
I take it thats what your avatar is? Sweet if you do post pictures here man. I want to see that. Starting to really get into corvair power plants Starting to grow on me a bit.

Old January 19th, 2014, 03:39 PM   #13
KdFmangler
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

if you don't get a donor car corvair it can get pricey getting everything one piece at a time. I did an adapter to a corvair but I also was constantly worried abut that vw trans axle blowing up. I do love the corvair engines though !

corvair trans axle is alittle bit stronger but bulker and heaver too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bonneville%202010%20trip%20270.jpg (8.7 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg mike driving 005.jpg (57.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg PB050005.jpg (62.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg user23917_pic212541_1282700304_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg PB050003.jpg (58.0 KB, 10 views)
http://www.droppedaxleproductions.co.../DAPindex.html
KdFmangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #14
KdFmangler
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

more corvair eye candy here:

http://s692.photobucket.com/user/HOT...sort=6&page=15
http://www.droppedaxleproductions.co.../DAPindex.html
KdFmangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #15
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdFmangler View Post
if you don't get a donor car corvair it can get pricey getting everything one piece at a time. I did an adapter to a corvair but I also was constantly worried abut that vw trans axle blowing up. I do love the corvair engines though !

corvair trans axle is alittle bit stronger but bulker and heaver too.
Yeah my goal is to wait until a cheap rusted out Corvair appears on the local craigslist with a working engine and trans. There was a daily driver for 1200 that was a was a bit rusty but i need to save up the money. Basically my plan is to get a corvair. Take everything that I can repurpose for my car, I'm even thinking about if I get a corvair cutting out the dash and welding that into my bug, and what ever little interior items I can nab. I want to end up with basically an empty shell I'll be selling off, after parting it out

Old January 28th, 2014, 09:28 PM   #16
38Chevy454
Forum Member

Getting a complete donor is always the best way, for cost and also to save time. If you can get the donor cheap, you might just be able to sell off parts and get your engine and trans for nearly free.

buy here directly: www.hotrodlatches.com
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 10:48 PM   #17
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Getting a complete donor is always the best way, for cost and also to save time. If you can get the donor cheap, you might just be able to sell off parts and get your engine and trans for nearly free.
Yeah. I've even thought about doing one of those crazy 1960's style hot rod builds using every part I can from the corvair then selling off parts I can't use. I'm keeping my eyes open. The cheapest corvairs around me are currently 1600 bucks.. firm it seems. And thats a bit TOO much out of my comfort zone especially considering one of them is in parts, and the other one has a flywheel thats unriveting More will pop up. I know they will. Corvairs have been coming out of the wood work around here.

Old January 29th, 2014, 12:56 PM   #18
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

It's been a looong time, but there used to be a fix for the flywheel's loose rivets. I think the repair involved tapered rivets, but like I said, it's been a looong time.
Old January 29th, 2014, 03:57 PM   #19
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
It's been a looong time, but there used to be a fix for the flywheel's loose rivets. I think the repair involved tapered rivets, but like I said, it's been a looong time.
Yeah a google search pulled up nothing. and honestly its not worth it for that price. if it was a bit cheaper yes, because apparently the fix is 200 dollars Or 179 if I buy the part myself.. and honestly i'll keep on eye on it.. Just incase its price drops.

Last edited by DrHax; January 29th, 2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old February 18th, 2014, 03:26 PM   #20
RatRansom68
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

man i hope to be as rad as KDFmangler one day!! such a wicked build man
Old February 28th, 2014, 07:12 AM   #21
ClassicGMJunkie
Forum Member

I have to get my corvair crank turned and I'll be ready to assemble mine. been wayyy too long on this build!

62 Impala buildup...kustom/6shooter lowrod

62 Impala 2dr HT build

70 Corvair-motorvated drop top Beetle Projekt
70 Cabrio build

Intro thread

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25084
ClassicGMJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2014, 05:32 AM   #22
volkswagnut
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

You can find some more transplant info here
http://volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28401

Unless you just dumb luck into a cheap Corvair.. the whole transplant and conversion can get pricey.

If its what ya want.. go for it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
Posted a picture of Operation X in my "car club" page, and people loved it
Well...Thank ya..

Its a lot of fun..

Last edited by volkswagnut; March 1st, 2014 at 05:43 AM.
volkswagnut is offline   Reply With Quote