Total Online: 520

Newest Member: syl023h2

Latest Threads
- by cretin
- by yimbo

Old January 10th, 2014, 08:49 PM   #1
DrHax
Forum Member

Talking Favourite thing prior owners have done?

We all have dealt with it Things that just make you go WTF My bug is a prime example of it, but I'm sure you guys have had worse

My favourites with this bug

5 Glued on the dash pad using wood glue (Took months to peel that crap off)

4 Rear seat has two pillows stuffed into it for support and the front seats still had the plastic wrap over them he just stuck the seat covers over them

3 Pink window chalking and the fender beads with it installed on the fenders The prior owner painted over it all too.

2 Heater channels were stuffed with fiber glass, apparently the prior owner of the prior owner ran tubes and connected it to the ceiling to direct air on the windscreen

1 Rewired the car with a wrong year harness WRAPPED THE WIRES around the brake lines going up the reservoir, and didn't ground alot of the crap.. I was looking at why the brake lights weren't working tugged and traced wires. BLUG BLUG BLUG The brakes still haven't been bleed since that screw up (brakes never worked in the first place anyways )

I want to hear more prior owner stories Since everybody is bitching about what they have done. Why not all bitch together about other people's children
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 09:05 PM   #2
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Default Re: Favourite thing prior owners have done?

Repaired fried wiring with brown two wire extension cord, wrapped in a combination of friction and electrical tape. ('62 bug).
Or, rear rocker on '56 Chevy made up of chicken wire and plaster of Paris.
Most creative was the two cylinder VW engine I described in another thread.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 02:07 AM   #3
excello
Forum Member

Still my favorite. Carbord and bondo. For that super-save repairwork..... (I've seen far more dangerous 'repairwork', but this just puts a smile on my face everytime I see it on a car)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM2614 kopie.jpg (140.4 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by excello; January 11th, 2014 at 02:19 AM.
excello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 04:31 AM   #4
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

PO attempted a clutch cable tube repair, failed miserably, removed the clutch tube all together, and replaced it with galvanized flexible conduit.

Fuel tank rusted out in a baja, so PO just installed Honda tank behind pass seat with filler neck drilled through the right rear quarter.

Used "Bondo" to "glue" rear parcel tray repair in place.

There's a slew of other ones, but those three stand out at the moment.
Old January 11th, 2014, 05:32 AM   #5
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

PO rewired the entire car with one color wiring.

One I bought had a gas smell. I found a rubber fuel line under the carpet. A po had run a new fuel line. They drilled through the firewall and screwed the line to the drivers side of the tunnel attached with cable ties. The hose was laying on top of the pedal tube where it enters the tunnel, so the gas pedal was chafing the hose and worn down to the cords.

My absolute favorite was the one I had that had actually done the boat blower mod to the heater ducts under the rear seats. I had gloriously powerful heat AND awesome window defroster!!
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #6
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excello View Post
Still my favorite. Carbord and bondo. For that super-save repairwork..... (I've seen far more dangerous 'repairwork', but this just puts a smile on my face everytime I see it on a car)
Damn and I thought expanding foam injected into the heater channels with fiberglass ontop was bad... The only reason why I found it about it was when I was replacing the wheel and the car jack went into the car... It was like a cheap sweater routine. After that the car was "doomed" to be a volksrod Theres more spots of rust on the car. The prior owner loved to patch stuff with fiberglass. Thank god it wasn't cardboard.

Oh yeah I just remembered The prior owner removed the lever to pull down the front seat, but just threw the fabric over it. That upholster job was quarter assed, not even half assed
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:33 AM   #7
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by excello View Post
I had a 61 Camp Van that Someone had Stuffed the lower side (Drivers side from wheel well to wheel well) with The Brownwood, Texas Funny Papers, and Bondo'd right over it. I finally gave up on that one, simply because of title Issues. It almost got impounded because of some legal crap that had been attached to it at one time... I got rid of it upon learning that.

I've seen some of the worst Audio installs too. 71 seats in a 68, EVERY door hinge screw rounded out by a PO... Stripped out Lug bolt holes on MOST of the car... Pistons installed backward... Fuel pump plumbed backward (That one cost me an engine, because it popped a hole in the fuel pump diaphragm somehow and fill the crank case with fuel... I never did understand how that happened...)

Aaaaah, the joys of PO's...
SCOTTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #8
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

My first was a '73 Super that the PO said he used to use as a daily driver but had gotten a new car and parked it.. he said it was parked for a couple of years, my friend lived down the street and said it was probably more like 5-7 years..

took it home, changed oil, plugs, dizzy cap, rotor, basic tune up shit.. got it to run, but it wouldn't idle worth a damn, stayed running so long as you gave it gas, but as soon as your foot came off the gas pedal it stalled..

Took it to a shop to check it out, cracked block and two of the cylinders had no compression.. o.O

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:50 AM   #9
Skidmarks Garage
Forum Member

When I got my Volxrod car the front was lowered by using about a bag and a half of "Instant cement" in the spare tire well
Old January 11th, 2014, 10:11 AM   #10
Iowa Mark
Forum Member

Brake line out of the master cylinder to the rear is folded over and crimped. Seems that the line along the tunnel rusted out and it was easier to lose the rear brakes than to fix the line.

"We just rebuilt the engine last year." As I can clearly see the large hole in the top of the block with part of a rod sticking out of it. "Yup, a new battery and it should start right up!"

Half a dozen two by fours bridging the rusted out gap under the seat and holding up that same seat. Those boards are protected from the elements by a double layer of cardboard acting as a gasket.

Got a free vise grip on one of the VW's. Rusted solid clamped on the broke end of the clutch cable. The handle had worn a groove in the bell housing a quarter of an inch deep.

Favorite one was someone had decided that a double nut on the front spindles wasn't the way to keep the bearing in place. Much better to punch the threads down all the way around the end of the spindle.

I almost forgot about the towel and wire that was wrapped tightly around the joint where the steering box meets the steering shaft. Rubber missing and one of the ears broken off. Don't they call that a "rag joint"?
Iowa Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #11
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Favourite things a PO have done.

Positive:
- bought a 2000 Skoda Felicia estate advertised as a 1.6 petrol, turned out it had a 2.0 Golf GTi engine in it the PO hadn't mentioned when he sold it to the garage I bought it from!
- bought a non-runner Yamaha Virago 750, the PO had tried changing the starter motor but it still didn't run, so he gave up and sold it. He'd fitted a dead starter to it! 35/$50 starter motor and it fired up straight away!

Negative:
- bought a Mustang fox body for 250/$400, the entire wiring is a mess with each wire being made up of about 8 or 9 sections of wire, all different colour, and half the wires didn't go to anything, or doubled back somewhere and reconnected with themselves!
- bought a '95 Honda Prelude with a body kit on it. To support the ridiculously oversized front bumper, the PO had welded 2x 12" bars on the front chassis legs coming straight forwards to support the front bumper!
Old January 11th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #12
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Almost forgot this one. Back in '68 or '69, a buddy and I heard about a low mile, undamaged '66 Lincoln for fifty bucks. Jeff was building a '40 coupe and wanted a Ford engine, my Buick powered '47 Ford was between gear boxes so we chased down the car on our bicycles, ten of fifteen miles from where we lived. An old guy answered the door and shook his head when we asked about the car. "Yup, she's out back, but you have to drive her out of here and no buying just the parts you want"...or words to that effect. We figured we'd fire the Lincoln up and toss our bikes in the back seat or trunk.
The black sedan was sitting on a paved strip under a clear plastic cover. Even the tires looked good. We couldn't believe someone hadn't beat us to it until we got close and lifted the edge of the plastic which was held to the ground by a ring of bricks. Then, the 'smell' hit us. The cover was hastily replaced while we coughed and gagged. The PO had been up at his cabin in the hills that summer when he'd had a heart attack while sitting in the car, died, and wasn't found for a couple of weeks...temps were in the 90s and the windows were up. The seller was a cousin or something and dropped the price to twenty-five. I believe he was laughing when we pedaled off. Naturally, we told a local hot rodder about the car without the pertinent details. He and his son drove over and didn't buy it either. 'First time I was called, "You fucker."
Old January 11th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #13
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

Spatz listed to the right, thought the shocks were toast. Checked the passenger floorboard. PO welded 3-4 .25" thick steel plates for the passenger side floor! When I cut it out the suspension actually went up on that side!
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 02:12 PM   #14
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
Almost forgot this one. Back in '68 or '69, a buddy and I heard about a low mile, undamaged '66 Lincoln for fifty bucks. Jeff was building a '40 coupe and wanted a Ford engine, my Buick powered '47 Ford was between gear boxes so we chased down the car on our bicycles, ten of fifteen miles from where we lived. An old guy answered the door and shook his head when we asked about the car. "Yup, she's out back, but you have to drive her out of here and no buying just the parts you want"...or words to that effect. We figured we'd fire the Lincoln up and toss our bikes in the back seat or trunk.
The black sedan was sitting on a paved strip under a clear plastic cover. Even the tires looked good. We couldn't believe someone hadn't beat us to it until we got close and lifted the edge of the plastic which was held to the ground by a ring of bricks. Then, the 'smell' hit us. The cover was hastily replaced while we coughed and gagged. The PO had been up at his cabin in the hills that summer when he'd had a heart attack while sitting in the car, died, and wasn't found for a couple of weeks...temps were in the 90s and the windows were up. The seller was a cousin or something and dropped the price to twenty-five. I believe he was laughing when we pedaled off. Naturally, we told a local hot rodder about the car without the pertinent details. He and his son drove over and didn't buy it either. 'First time I was called, "You fucker."
Probably wasn't the last time you were called that either!
Jeff
Old January 11th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #15
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by whozawhat View Post
On Bugsplat I thought my favorite thing was when the PO sold it to me.

It went down hill from there.

After tearing into it and stripping out the bondo I found this;

-interior originally was white in color but was spray painted black
-Front beam rusted out and bent
-ball joints and rod ends shot.
-entire wiring system f*&k#@, wiring on the floor had to be pushed buttoned to start
-all transmission mounts broken
-transmission has mismatched synchros and broken gears
-IRS trailing arms rotted and bent
-all the magic smoke had escaped from the clutch
-engine ran but just barely, after teardown it was decided that 40 years of Canadian winters and road salt had corroded the case beyond reuse.
-turn signal switch mechanism destroyed because of how the adapter was installed.
-all brakes worn to the limits
-mismatched and worn tires
-gas tank rusted and leaks
-glove box missing
-dash butchered around the radio
-mice living in the engine on top of each bank of cylinders, and inside the foam in the C pillars and the seats
-the interior smells of urine
-floors gone,
-heater channels gone,
-lower section of forward firewall gone
-inner front fenders gone
-spare tire well gone
-rear apron half gone
-package tray rotted
-front and rear pan cross members rotted off

Funny thing is the guy that sold that POS to me contacted the person that I sold the finished Bugsplat too and told him that when he sold me the car it was "Mint"
Canadian winters? Isn't that the same as Canadian summers?
Jeff
Old January 11th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #16
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiI View Post
Spatz listed to the right, thought the shocks were toast. Checked the passenger floorboard. PO welded 3-4 .25" thick steel plates for the passenger side floor! When I cut it out the suspension actually went up on that side!
Jeff

was the PO overweight? maybe they were just preventing listing to the driver's side? ;)

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #17
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
On Bugsplat I thought my favorite thing was when the PO sold it to me.

It went down hill from there.

After tearing into it and stripping out the bondo I found this;

-interior originally was white in color but was spray painted black
-Front beam rusted out and bent
-ball joints and rod ends shot.
-entire wiring system f*&k#@, wiring on the floor had to be pushed buttoned to start
-all transmission mounts broken
-transmission has mismatched synchros and broken gears
-IRS trailing arms rotted and bent
-all the magic smoke had escaped from the clutch
-engine ran but just barely, after teardown it was decided that 40 years of Canadian winters and road salt had corroded the case beyond reuse.
-turn signal switch mechanism destroyed because of how the adapter was installed.
-all brakes worn to the limits
-mismatched and worn tires
-gas tank rusted and leaks
-glove box missing
-dash butchered around the radio
-mice living in the engine on top of each bank of cylinders, and inside the foam in the C pillars and the seats
-the interior smells of urine
-floors gone,
-heater channels gone,
-lower section of forward firewall gone
-inner front fenders gone
-spare tire well gone
-rear apron half gone
-package tray rotted
-front and rear pan cross members rotted off

Funny thing is the guy that sold that POS to me contacted the person that I sold the finished Bugsplat too and told him that when he sold me the car it was "Mint"
Reminds me of a neighbour I had back in saint paul. He got a bug after I shortly got one. 1500 dollars 1972 bought from a farm.. Once he peeled off the paint Every single panel on that car was hit, the jacks were torn off and the floors were bad. The interrior was roached and the whole car had to be rebuilt. Seriously it looked like somebody took a sledge hammer to everything. The entire tunnel looked like an axe murder got a hold of it. But he got that running through countless shit. Looked alot better then my does ahaha!
Old January 11th, 2014, 03:49 PM   #18
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Jeff

Just to defend my stellar reputation, I'd like to state that I haven't been called that in weeks, no, months (the guy at the hardware store Wednesday? Well that was a total misunderstanding).
Old January 14th, 2014, 05:47 PM   #19
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
Jeff

Just to defend my stellar reputation, I'd like to state that I haven't been called that in weeks, no, months (the guy at the hardware store Wednesday? Well that was a total misunderstanding).
You fucker

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
Old January 14th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #20
hotsauce
Forum Member

The PO of my '61 used a torch to cut it for baja... Nice clean cuts. *rollseyes* oh, and they torched the rear shock mounts off the pan for some strange reason. Hopefully it doesn't ride too badly sans shocks.

Oh, and the dumb hippies that had my bus hacked the rear wheel openings, which I guess isn't such a terrible thing considering I'm making removable fenders to get the gigantic Porsche wheels in and out of there... Guess I've actually cut that bus up A LOT MOAR than any hippie ever has.
Old January 14th, 2014, 06:30 PM   #21
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Ya know,,,, I checked with accu-weather and it seems that actually you are getting more of that Canadian winter stuff at the moment than I am..

I am just glad to share the wealth, enjoy..

You can keep your wealth

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
Old January 14th, 2014, 11:56 PM   #22
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I have tried to ban the use of the word "sn*w" in my house now for years

"IF" I succeed in not saying the "F" word in my house, I may get my wish

I'd rather it fucking rain than sn*w any day

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:19 AM   #23
alykat
Site Supporter

My favorite PO abandoned his 67 Pontiac station wagon on the streets of Aspen one winter and it was impounded by the APD. I needed an engine for my street stock race car the next sping and bought it for $25 at the police auction. The back was full to the top with crap and I went through it just in case there was anything useful. Score = 5 ton Snap-on floor jack, 2 boxes full of SK Wayne & Craftsman hand tools, Coleman camp stove, tent, axe, hunting knife,and 2 brand new radial tires. There was already a new set of studded tires on the car. Best of all though, Both wheel wells were full of fruit jars....full of pennies. Over $600 worth. I have been know to have kind thoughts for previous owners on occasion.
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:36 AM   #24
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

So you're the fucker that got my ride!!!

Bitch!
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:38 AM   #25
lunatic_magnet
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

airbag setup fabricated out of black pipe... complete with screw on elbows. (let's not even talk about the shocks, mmkay? lol)

and when the pipe is too short? ahhh just butt weld it. it's only holding up the weight of the car. and who cares about it being straight? lol.

at least it's not the front... anyone got some spare bedframe? ohh looks like the 4" long bolts are bending so we'll just add a piece of metal there... and some washers. lots of washers... lol.

volksrods member #39
forget wd-40 and duct tape... i have a sawzall and a welder.
lunatic_magnet is online now   Reply With Quote