Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,639
Threads: 32,294
Total Online: 470

Newest Member: 87cortez

Latest Threads
- by Frank3
- by bugdust
- by Vrshack
- by bugwhat

Old May 30th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #1
jipple28
Forum Member

Default New VW (Volksrod) owner from northern NJ

Howdy,

I recently bought my first project bug; a 1966 body (partially chopped) on a 1962 tub. I bought it from a guy in Idaho who had to move and was unable to take it with him. The tub is beautiful from what I've seen in photos and been told by the seller. It left ID on 5/27 is scheduled to arrive in NJ sometime tomorrow, 5/31.

Here are the specs and links to the photos I have at this point:
-4" chopped out of the roof
-brand new custom ragtop slider
-59 oval window to be installed
-suicide door hinges with a shaved door kit and bear claw door latches.
-two sets of doors, extra roof for donor metal

The pan has a 4-wheel disc brake conversion, mounted tranny with all smooth welds. All the hardware is plated. The pan also has 3/4" square tubing welded along the bottom of the floor boards and a solid flat piece of sheet metal along the bottom. When you look at the bottom it is completely flat and looks so sweet. The whole pan/tranny is painted a powder purple (Dodge Neon color).

I will be continually adding photos of this project to my photo set on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpl3k/s...7629775140468/

I plan on purchasing a Corvair 110 or 140 and the necessary adapter plate, flywheel, clutch and expose it out the rear. My thought is to 'flip' the front beam instead of installing a beam extender, but I need to read up on that a little more. I'll run no fenders, no deck lid, drop it front and rear, taller tires on the rear (nothing wide).

Although I do not intend to replicate it by any means, I am taking a lot of styling from Drew Strunk's KDF Mangler:
http://www.speedhunters.com/2010/09/...e_kdf_mangler/

I am entirely new to VWs, so this is very much be a learning experience while building, but I look forward to the challenge and expect to drop in with updates and question quite often.

Thanks all,
Jonathan "JPL"

Last edited by jipple28; July 9th, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
jipple28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 05:30 AM   #2
jipple28
Forum Member

Default Re: New VW (Volksrod) owner from northern NJ

This week has been nothing but rainy evenings so I've been chopping and tack-welding primarily in no more than a square foot perimeter in the garage. We have 3 cars in a standard two-car garage; a 1960 MGA and a chrome-fitted 1977 MGB.
MGA: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpl3k/s...7600871360867/
MGB: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpl3k/s...7606255623123/

Last night the weather was mostly clear so I got to work outside -see new pics on Flickr.

I lowered the top an additional 1 1/2" and tack-welded parts of the roof at the new height. Also chopped the front and rear aprons off to make a little more room in the garage (they both had to go in the final project regardless).
Figure this is roughly a 5 1/2" chop, but won't be sure until its all in place in the end and I can take definitive measurements. I tell ya, it's not easy chopping more out of a top after it has already been done once.. but I knew it wouldn't be. Keep in mind this is my first time doing anything like this, so I'm still fighting the learning curve.

More to come tonight.. even though it's supposed to rain again! >:o(

BTW guys, I'm on Facebook and tend to upload photos and updates there as I make progress, so if you're on send me an invite and let me know you're a Volksrod guy.
www.facebook.com/VacuumTubeCowboy

-JPL

Last edited by jipple28; July 9th, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #3
jipple28
Forum Member

This past weekend I didnít have a ton of time to work on the VW, but I pretty much finished tacking the A & B pillars and three roof extensions above the driver door, windshield, and passenger door. Added roughly 3Ē of extensions, but had to cut the roof lines straight first, so it was actually a little less than 3Ē. Still have to complete the rear extension, C pillars, oval window graft, and find an original 3-fold ragtop slider clip.

Pics prior to installing the hood:

Picked up the hood for the front and started lightly sanding spots wherever rust discoloration was present. The tip of the nose is rough, but nothing that I canít cut and weld to smooth out. I donít think Iíll need replacement pieces or anything to repair it. The rest of it is very solid and it bolted on perfectly; just a couple minor dings and nasty-looking spiders crawling around here and there.

I also met a guy locally who used to rebuild Corvairs and picked up a clean set of 140 heads, six jugs, four primary carbs, and the carb linkages. All need cleaning, but not excessive work. Iím waiting on the [rebuilt, running] Ď69 110 engine, but expect to have that real soon. Still need reverse camshaft, distributor gears, alternator fan, flywheel, clutch, and adapter plate for the transaxle. Also need the ragtop slider clip and 8" front beam extension. If anyone has any leads on these LMK. I need to check and post on the classifieds. I checked eBay last week or so, but thatís all.

-JPL

Last edited by jipple28; July 9th, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:40 AM   #4
jipple28
Forum Member

Made some progress lately.. primarily last night as I decided to cut out the section between the B and C pillars and drop in the lengthier piece from the donor roof.

I chopped the necessary interior channels too, so will need to go inside and weld them in after the exterior shell is in place.
Firewall was chopped about 2Ē (I think), dropping the rear window. Instead of trying to pinch the rain rails in towards the grill (which looked extremely awkward from the rear) I decided to chop between the window and the body curve and add a gap between the two. I'll just graft in some sheet metal to make up the difference later. This allows me to leave the flow of the rails and not widen the rear window, which I had actually considered at one point. In the photos these sections are just mocked-up in place with locking pliers and magnets. It should all line up in the end. Considering where I came from and what I hacked away thus far itís looking pretty dang good.

What do yíall think about my chopped Ďovalí? Just kidding, I am going to insert the original í57 Oval once everything else looks smooth.
After that Iíll get the interior support channels in place and start prepping for an original ragtop slider clip.

I ordered a bunch of Corvair-to-VW parts from Starr Cooke (adapter place, flywheel, clutch, reverse camshaft, etc), so those should be arriving any time now.
Still need the ragtop clip, if anyone has one collecting dust.
Also need to order a 10Ē extension beam and associated parts.

I have to admit- I had a dream last night that I was actually driving this beauty.. I was so proud.

More photos can be found at my Flickr photoset:

-JPL
Old June 26th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #5
jipple28
Forum Member

There's no doubt, I've definitely been doing this the hard way, but that's nothing new for me. It's probably fair to call this the one step forward, two steps back project.. first time doing anything like this, so live and learn. I would have done it differently if I started with a top that hadn't already been chopped once before.
As for the '57 oval window clip (the one that was run over in the parking lot) I had to cut it and pound it way back into shape. At this point I'm only slightly off. There's a slight twist to the clip which can't simply be smacked back into proper alignment. I'll post pics or a video later to demonstrate where the issue remains.
I'm sort of considering leaving this heavily-chopped square window in; my friends and I kinda like it.. maybe I could save the oval for the next time around (LOL!)?
This past weekend was less than progressive and last night after work I was absolutely exhausted so I didn't get anything done but I expect to do so tonight. I'll continue to post pics as I move along.

Still need to find an original ragtop slider clip; that would certainly help me line-up the roof and get all the curves smooth.
-JPL
Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:20 AM   #6
jipple28
Forum Member

A quick update; I decided to keep the shorter, wider square window instead of grafting in the '57 oval. Much of the work in the rear is complete, aside from some minor cut/weld adjustments.

Honestly I think the rain rails look great from behind the B pillar to the tail end, but still not pleased with the front.. I cut the A and B pillars yet again and will work on lining them up properly. Without the rails I could easily hide the difference, but that's not how I want to do it.

Here's a pic showing how I got my 63' ragtop slider home from central Jersey last weekend. Worked excellent.

It is pristine, barely any surface rust to be found!
Almost all of the slider hardware was included (minor surface rust). I know I need one of the long aluminum rails that the plastic wheels slide down, however (I think the driver's side track).

Before cutting the ragtop clip out and grafting into my project bug I need to get the A and B pillars sorted out for good. I had them close, but not to my liking and I'm pretty dang close to a perfectionist. I'm taking many more measurements now trying to figure out what needs to go left/right and up/down.
-JPL

Last edited by jipple28; July 3rd, 2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Added pic links
Old July 5th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #7
jipple28
Forum Member

A belated Happy Independence Day to all!
I didn't go to any local fireworks but I showered myself in sparks all day if that counts. Anyway, lots of progress made; perhaps the most single productive day with the bug. Lined-up A and B pillars, tacked B pillars in and then cut out just below the rain rails to allow me to lay the A pillars and rain rails on top. To my amazement everything worked like a charm.

When I was pleased I dropped in the ragtop clip and tacked that in (added supports to hold the ceiling up), then began filling the rear center that was previously left wide open.

Next I'll continue filling roof gaps, pinch the upper A pillars together (as they are too wide), building up the B pillars where they meet the roof, etc. Moving forward.

The height of my visibility through the window is 8 1/2"; how much of a chop does that equate to?

For the rest of my photos so far see my flickr set:
-JPL
Old July 9th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #8
jipple28
Forum Member

Not a lot to report other than I've been filling the gaps along the sides of the ragtop clip. Overall the curve all around isn't bad, certainly would not require much bondo to smooth out, but I'm wondering how much work leading would be?
Also starting filling the gaps in the C pillar, but no pics of that yet.
I'm going to need to pick up a recharged tank of oxyacetylene this week.

Sorry for the blurriness of this photo- I was balancing myself on the driver front tire and holding the phone over my head when I took it.

Inside front view.

Inside rear ceiling.

-JPL

Last edited by jipple28; July 9th, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:50 AM   #9
jipple28
Forum Member

Howdy,

Didnít want yaíll to think I stopped working on Lindsay, so hereís a brief update.
Roof is going to stay where it is; just need to work on the A and B pillars, inside, and the upper corner of the door jam at the top of the B pillar. A pillars need to be squeezed.

My apologies for the poor image quality of the following photos; I was playing with them in Streamzoo before uploading last night.
Corvair 110 without adapter plate:

With adapter plate:

Mocked-up the adapter plate and engine to the transaxle.. Looks ok, but Iím certain Iím going to have to section the body to delete some of that firewall gap.

More to come (as soon as the rain stops!)..
-JPL
Old August 7th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #10
jipple28
Forum Member

Made some progress this past weekend; blended the A pillars (previously a huge gap), filled the [previously missing] door jams in front of the B pillars, and filled most of the gap behind the B pillars. Also started filling in the 1/2" vertical gaps All of these tasks were generally small details, but took a bit of nerve and time to finish.

A pillars: I cut out a portion of the '66 (black) pillars and mocked-up the matching piece from the '57 (brown) pillars. After some delicate shaving and filing I tacked the two parts on and stood back to enjoy my accomplishment. Certainly didn't think it was going to be that easy!
(driver side cuts)

(passenger side tacked in)

Door jams before B pillars:
Required cutting along the center of the rain rails (horizontally) and fitting in donor roof door jams.
(Sorry, no pic of this uploaded just yet)

Rear Window uppers:
For this I had to 'fabricate' the curves needed since I have no duplicate donor materials. I used excess B pillars for the curves and flat portions inside the window 'sill'.

I'm generally pleased with the overall outcome, however I want to adjust the driver-side door jam since I did that one first and don't quite like the angle (very minor change, but it bugs me). It's about time to move on to the inside supporting channels. After that.. 4" body section?
Old August 7th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #11
jipple28
Forum Member

I opted to round off the rear side windows since I felt the teardrop look didn't really fit.
I used the upper window corners of the B pillar from the '57 ragtop. *For the record these '57 window corners weren't quite the right shape and though it's not clearly visible in these photos I had to make one tack-weld at a time, hammer and bend to the right shape, tack, bend, tack, hammer, tack, etc..
Cut (passenger side)

Tacked in (driver side)

Not too shabby.. I'll round off any sharp edges later.