Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Old October 7th, 2015, 03:23 PM   #176
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Effigy's history

so I spent most of today in the garage/on the driveway, cleaning grease/oil/mouse parts off of the engine..

I had set up my phone to record a time lapse, plugged it into the wall so I wouldn't kill my battery, hit record and went to work..

two hours later I checked it after I finished cleaning the engine and before I started doing some maintenance (valve clearance, rechecking head and case torques, etc..), it had recorded 14 shots, covering the firs 1 minute and 40 seconds I was working..

but yea, got it cleaned up as best I could, started cleaning tins, decided to buy new cylinder tins since one of mine is cracked pretty bad. cleaned those up (they're used old VW ones.. not aftermarket crap..), got a coat of paint drying on them right now.

Then went to tackle my fan rub issue. I used ametal straight edge on the fan edge, and it seems to be flat. slowly spun the alternator without the fan in place and the shaft looks to be spinning straight. put the fan back on and there is an obvious wobble :/

https://youtu.be/t9E3PBtcHUQ

Still not sure if it's fan or alternator :/

any ideas?

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 03:52 PM   #177
V8Transporter
Forum Member

The fan may be flat, but I think that she's somehow slightly tweaked. As in the shaft hole is not 90 degrees to the flat rear surface. It's been a really long time since I've had a VW engine in any of my Vee Dubs so I can't offer a good solution.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2015, 09:25 AM   #178
hotrodheb
Forum Member

Looks like a bent fan to me! Do you have a dial indicator that you can use to check the alternator shaft?

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2015, 09:28 AM   #179
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodheb View Post
Looks like a bent fan to me! Do you have a dial indicator that you can use to check the alternator shaft?
god damnit Rob! stop making sense! i didn't even think of that, I just switched my dial indicator/stand from one side of my tool box to the other when i rearranged the garage and didn't even think of using it to check the shaft, just been eye-balling it..

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========

Old October 9th, 2015, 01:44 PM   #180
hotrodheb
Forum Member

Don't hate me 'cause I am smart!

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 02:45 PM   #181
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

got my new fan in the mail today.. Gene Berg welded/balanced..

Should I be at all concerned about these?

there's a total of about 6 or 7 of those dings spread out around the fan..

===========

Old October 20th, 2015, 03:54 PM   #182
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

I wouldn't worry about 'em myself, but I would definitely powder coat it before installing it...
Maybe smooth 'em out a little for the coating to look nice until you bury it inside the engine tins... but no other concern in my estimation...
Old October 20th, 2015, 04:07 PM   #183
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTRODS View Post
I wouldn't worry about 'em myself, but I would definitely powder coat it before installing it...
Maybe smooth 'em out a little for the coating to look nice until you bury it inside the engine tins... but no other concern in my estimation...
I was just gonna throw it in raw like that.. my last fan was raw i think.. or it had factory paint interrupted by the welding..

===========

Old October 20th, 2015, 05:36 PM   #184
V8Transporter
Forum Member

The little dings are actually carefully placed to decrease fan turbulence at speed by limiting parasite drag. IMHO I would at least rattle can the fan a tasteful shade of Rust-oleum semi-gloss black. This way in say, six or seven months, you won't be getting comments like, "yer fan rust through yet?"
Or, "Did you know that if one area rusts faster than the other, said area will actually become lighter and cause an imbalance at high speeds?"
'
Old October 20th, 2015, 05:45 PM   #185
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
The little dings are actually carefully placed to decrease fan turbulence at speed by limiting parasite drag. IMHO I would at least rattle can the fan a tasteful shade of Rust-oleum semi-gloss black. This way in say, six or seven months, you won't be getting comments like, "yer fan rust through yet?"
Or, "Did you know that if one area rusts faster than the other, said area will actually become lighter and cause an imbalance at high speeds?"
'
yeah, still not automatically taking the east coast rust factor in automatically..

how will paint/powder coating affect the balance though? will i have to rebalance after?

===========

Old October 21st, 2015, 03:53 AM   #186
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Turn it while painting... Looking at it... Powder coating would not be my first choice after all... There's a ton of Faraday areas on it that could get missed and would be less likely to get a coat of protective paint/powder... It can be done with a nice gun (5 grand or more for the gun), and you shouldn't have any balance issues after painted if you do some even coating... You're not running a super high end engine there... it won't be noticed at all.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 09:08 AM   #187
tequilla
Forum Member

Never even thought about painting mine before I put it in

I live in the desert so rust shouldn't be too big of an issue. I did have to grind down the welds a bit because it was rubbing.

Share your cheese....... here kitty, kitty.......
tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 02:56 PM   #188
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Ok, got a coat of rustoleum gray primer on it, i love the new spray cans that can spray inverted.. made it really easy to get all the angles..

also trying something new, partially just cosmetic, but hopefully as functional as I'm imagining..

I've never liked the idea of just the two screws and the alternator strap holding the fan shroud down, so I riveted some latches on tonight..

===========

Old October 23rd, 2015, 03:19 PM   #189
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

I like the latches... Good idea. Hope they stay put all the time...
Old October 23rd, 2015, 04:10 PM   #190
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTRODS View Post
I like the latches... Good idea. Hope they stay put all the time...
yeah, i don't know that they will stay latched if it shakes too much or shifts, but they rivets are on solid, and i'll still use the screws, i just don't want to rely on them and the alt strap alone anymore..

like i said, if nothing else, they're cosmetic and add a subtle custom touch..

I'm also putting a dab of locktite on every sheet metal screw because while tearing it down to clean mouse guts off the engine i discovered that i'd lost about 3 of them in the last year and most had rattled loose..

===========

Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:45 PM   #191
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

The latches might work better than screws, years ago on my 3rd VW I used screws, thought it might keep it from rattling, I had to replace a piston & cylinder after a trip to Mammoth Cave, couldn't get the screws to line back up on the side I pulled apart, the latches might pull it together if you ever hafta tear it apart

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 08:48 AM   #192
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

anyone else have a starter that doesn't have the little ledge thing to lock your D-head bolt down?

I for one am tired of wedging a flat head in there to lock it in place while i put the nut on the other side.. it's a pain in the ass... this clamp holds it steady though :D

===========

Old December 12th, 2015, 05:42 AM   #193
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So I finally got a bit of extra cash..

Ordered a CompuFire Dual Cool 90A alternator and some of the rubber boots and clips for door panels..

I still have to finish cutting the boards for the panels and then putting the fabric on em, but at least now I'll have the hardware for em too, just gotta figure out what i'm doing for armrests/pull handles.. I don't think I'm going to keep the stock ones.

oh well, baby steps with my baby budget :P

===========

Old December 12th, 2015, 02:43 PM   #194
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Bought a cheapo HF jig saw tonight and got back to work on the door panels..

Made both pieces for the driver's side tonight, I'll use them as stencils for the passenger side..

Gonna wrap the backboard in the fabric I stitched a few weeks back, and the small foreground piece will be the red crushed velvet I wrapped the steering wheel in..

I ran out of thread-serts though and the screws i bought to attach the two pieces together are about 1/8" too long, rather than cut them all down to size, I'm just gonna buy the right size..

Gonna get all the hardware, then have to drill the holes for the pieces to attach em to the door, cut the holes for the latch and window crank, then figure out what i'm doing for the arm rest/door pull.. I never really use the armrest, so I'm thinking about just putting a door pull in instead.. not sure yet..

===========

Old December 18th, 2015, 05:27 AM   #195
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So I went to Fastenal's website because we have one local and before I had gone into it I would buy hardware from Home Depot or Ace.. tried ordering the nutserts and tiny screws and they wanted to charge me $9 shipping. I didn't see an option to have them shipped to the store for pick up, thinking it would negate the shipping charge..

I called the store and ordered them, again, thinking I would negate the shipping charge since I was driving to the damn store to pick them up. Picked them up yesterday and was charged $8 for shipping.

whatever, I have the hardware now. Gotta run some errands first, then I'll work on cutting the rest of the holes and test fitting the driver's side.. if it all fits correctly, I'll use them as templates for the passenger side, then I can start putting fabric on.

I ordered a bunch of the rubber cups and clips from ACN when I ordered my alternator, so that should all be here monday.
Still not certain what I want to do for a door pull/arm rest. I don't like how the stock one looks, plus, my stock ones are faded and cracked dark blue.. but I'm not sure what I want to use.

Kinda think something like this might look good, but don't wanna spend that much on em..

https://www.streetrodhq.com/detail/3...oor_Panel.html

===========

Old December 18th, 2015, 06:22 AM   #196
Daddy o's 67
Forum Member

Years ago Mustang arm rest were used in a lot of street rods. They are a combo arm rest/door pull so it killed two birds with one stone. There is also a Pull a Part out by the beach airport,
http://www.picknpull.com/locations.a...w=Detail&ID=75

Might want to go take a wonder through there to see it something catch's your eye.

Might be able to get a couple of late model door panels and cut the arm rest section out and screw it to your new panels before uph them? just a thought.
Daddy o's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 06:25 AM   #197
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy o's 67 View Post
Years ago Mustang arm rest were used in a lot of street rods. They are a combo arm rest/door pull so it killed two birds with one stone. There is also a Pull a Part out by the beach airport,
http://www.picknpull.com/locations.a...w=Detail&ID=75

Might want to go take a wonder through there to see it something catch's your eye.

Might be able to get a couple of late model door panels and cut the arm rest section out and screw it to your new panels before uph them? just a thought.
yeah, I'm debating even putting an armrest in.. I generally have my window down and arm out of it and when it's too cold/wet for window down, i don't really use the rest much then either.. I'm skinny and my arm usually ends up with my elbow sitting on my leg..

I might swing by some salvage yards here in hampton today though and see what they got..

===========

Old December 27th, 2015, 08:23 AM   #198
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Well, I didn't look very hard, but didn't find any arm rests locally, and the ones I found online that I kind of like at $100+/pair so I'm going to reuse the stock ones after all, but I rattle canned them red to match the fabric that will be directly behind them..

Started attaching the background fabric and getting ready to do the insert on the driver's side. I only bought 9 clamps, so I have to go a small section at a time.

So far so good though:

Using the TP holder from my CrapMaster 3000 to spread the clamp strength. This pic is from last night, this panel is about half done now..

Attaching the foam and the fabric separately to the insert. The panel is stitched to the foam for the background, but i don't want any thread patterns on the insert so it's going on separately.

Hopefully I'll have this one done completely in the next day or so..

At some point I also have to get back to work on the engine.. I got a new alternator, but forgot the shroud has to come out to put it in. When I cut my throttle cable last time, I cut it about 1/8" too short, so it's idling at like 1100RPMS, so I bought more cable and will be yanking the old one out. the hardest part is going to be getting the damn screws from the sides of the shroud, I put them in without the carbs installed so they are in nice and tight with some red loctite.. I really don't want to pull the carbs but i may have to at least loosen the manifolds.

===========

Old December 27th, 2015, 10:24 AM   #199
V8Transporter
Forum Member

"Using the TP holder from my CrapMaster 3000 to spread the clamp strength."

Now there's a phrase you'll never read on another auto forum....
Old December 27th, 2015, 10:54 AM   #200
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
"Using the TP holder from my CrapMaster 3000 to spread the clamp strength."

Now there's a phrase you'll never read on another auto forum....
lol,

no kidding right? We don't have enough wall space in the bathroom where we're renting right now to hang it up.. plus I don't think the wife likes it as much as I do.. :P

For those that have no idea what it is, just grabbed this from google.. the builder used to advertise here on VR.. not sure if they still do..

http://nerdapproved.com/misc-gadgets...hroom-product/

===========