- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3

Old November 13th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #26
tequilla
Forum Member

Default Re: Cheap or Correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooed_pariah View Post

Then begins the process of tearing it apart, cleaning it all up and putting it in the new case........

......and buying a new bolt.........

Share your cheese....... here kitty, kitty.......
tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #27
Elchopperfreak
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostigbug View Post
TP here are a few tricks from an old timer...
put all the rest of the bolts back in & tighten 'em down real good. then loosten the stuck one.
Also a good hard smack with a 16 oz hammer helps a lot. hit the bolt on the head like it was a nail you are driving into a piece of wood.
This also smashes the mushroomed hexagonal hole back to size.
Do you have any Torx bits? I often get a torx bit that is a tiny too large & drive it in to the bolt head with a hammer then use it to loosten the bolt.

This is exactly what I do, also some PB Blaster to the bolt and sometimes some heat works well..

Our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Caribb...es/47608975844
(feel free to join)
Elchopperfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #28
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I use J B weld all the time, I have filled in tapped holes and re-drilled then and then tapped them, I have never had one come loose.......yet

As for the J B Weld not working, I'd say it is do to not cleaning it good enough
So what did you use to clean the allen wrench as well as the top of the screw?

I have found the only thing that works is rubbing alcohol, pour it onto a rag and wipe it clean, then pour a bit more onto both parts and blow them dry with a compressor, or use you mouth to blow on it until it is completely dry, then mix up the J B Weld and put on both pieces and let it cure, tape it or clamp it so it doesn't move while curing

I have used this method on a flat bladed screw head, it was stripped and I could not get it out, so I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol as well as the screw driver tip, then J B Welded an old screw driver to the screw head, let it cure, and it came right out, it was purty dadgum tight as well, I couldn't break the screw off the screw driver until I put it in a vice and smacked it with a hammer

I also know that some Motorcycle engines use special threaded screws and thread pitches, I can't remember what it was I was working on but I needed 1 new screw, so I grabbed 1 of the other good screws and went to the hardware store to match it up and buy one, they didn't carry anything that was even close to what I needed, so I called a Motorcycle Dealer and asked about the screw and sure enough they had what I needed, it was a special screw. Well I went home measured the outside diameter of the screw, then measured the inside diameter of the hole where the screw went so I knew what sized "tap drill" it used. Then I looked thru all my taps until I found one that would work and I drilled it and tapped it to fit a standard screw thread or metric screw, then I bought a screw at the hardware store and everything worked out

Like I said about J B Weld, whatever you are trying to fix you need to make absolutely sure that all oil and dirt are completely cleaned off, I have tried all sorts of different cleaners and Rubbing Alcohol works best, just blow it with compressed airor let it sit so the alcohol will evaporate

Good Luck

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 05:57 AM   #29
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I almost think I need to start unsubscribing to my own threads...

The same thing is happening here as what is happening on shadowriders.net.. it goes something like this:

post #1 problem
post #2-8 solutions and ideas regarding them
post #9 problem is fixed, done, not an issue anymore...
post #10+ people who read up to about post 4 and then share their solution as well and me coming in to let them know that I do appreciate the input, but it's not a problem anymore...

(post numbers are not accurate here, just a vague example..)

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote