- by Bugula

Old January 19th, 2016, 06:47 AM   #776
fernon
Forum Member

Default Re: Fernons Chop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1tileguy View Post
Just awesome....

How about air shocks with an on board compressor? You can air it up for driving then air it down for showing 👍👍

I'm sure you guys will pull off some super fantastic way to do it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Air shocks are an option also if we drop a tire size from the 30" to maybe a 28" it would give us some clearance as well. It's a shame because it has the perfect stance right now the pictures really don't do the car justice on the way it sets with everything tucked up tight but you can just fit your finger between the tire and the torsion tube. When you drive it, the slightest little bump and BAM!!! there goes hundreds of hours of body work and paint.... O'well, what else is new with this build, just one more hurdle to jump over.

Forum Members Comments (Fernon's Chop)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Why do you have to "put your two cents in,"
but it's only a "penny for your thoughts"?
Where's that extra penny going to?

Just remember saying I'm sorry and appologizing are the same thing.
Unless you are at a funeral.
fernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 07:14 AM   #777
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

That's what we have on Dragon's rear, full fendered and paint it rubbed off . Used to drop it before going into a show then raise it at the first gas station we came to leaving. Just enough to keep it off the bump stops.
Hope you get it sorted out.
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 08:14 AM   #778
fernon
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemyth View Post
That's what we have on Dragon's rear, full fendered and paint it rubbed off . Used to drop it before going into a show then raise it at the first gas station we came to leaving. Just enough to keep it off the bump stops.
Hope you get it sorted out.
The problem we are having when driving it is that by time it hits the bump stops you are into the paint. Right now it looks like it has plenty of travel, we even jacked up the suspension into the bump stops nothing hits, but when you drive it and hit a bump it really wants to drive the suspension into the body. Now it may also have to do with the fact that I got on it pretty hard around a corner and it only rubbed off the one side, but if I can't drive it hard then I must have done something wrong... I'm just saying...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Old January 19th, 2016, 11:04 AM   #779
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Man, the ricers pay big money for a green stripe tread like that!

Are your sidewalls flexing that much?
Old January 19th, 2016, 04:18 PM   #780
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Increase the offset a bit to clear...reset the torsion bars for the increased load?
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 10:27 AM   #781
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

go all in, setback the driveline a 1/2" or so. spacers on the motor mounts, shift linkage. The cv's can handle it.
Old June 9th, 2016, 06:42 AM   #782
mkparker
Forum Member

Smaller tire makes the most sense to me.
mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2016, 05:45 PM   #783
bugdust
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Air shocks? Smaller tires? Different offset wheels? No way...you guys don't do things like that!! You'll have to cut out the rear fenderwell, fab up some mini tubs with some neat trick and do it right!!

There is no other way. I'm sorry.

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
bugdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 10:44 AM   #784
fernon
Forum Member

Crack a Few Eggs to Make an Omelet

I know it's been a while since our last update but I have been traveling nonstop for work and have not had any time to work on the car, it's not all bad though, I have been bouncing back and forth between Florida and California for the past couple of months and I did get a chance to go the Pomona Swap Meet when I was out there so at least I got to do that.

So a few months ago we had ordered our custom Green Leaded Glass for the car and it had been delayed for over a month it seams that the shop that was making it kept shattering the glass because of the tight radius corners. Well I get a call one day and they said the glass was ready so I went to go pick it up, it was absolutely beautiful, the green coloring of the glass was a work of art, I couldn't have been happier, the glass looked really good except for the edges, it looks like they had cut them with a chainsaw but I could live with that since it will be hidden in the frames.

So we prepped everything and began to install the glass into the Safari window frame and the Pop-outs. The Safari windshield went in place without a problem and then we heard a little crack, just a small hairline crack in the corner vary hard to see, I could live with it so we moved on. The Pop-outs were a little trickier to install but we did it with no issues. We set all of the frames off to let the gaskets set and came back about an hour later end every piece of glass had a major crack lines going across them in several directions. The glass was a total loss. So after several new cuss words were invented and a major hit to the wallet I decided to walk away from the project for a little while, luckily work kept me busy and we had the Evil Metal Geniuses 1937 Ford along with several other projects to work on.

So after a little break from the Volksrod and walking in the garage time and time again with the car taunting me I decided to jump back into working on it again. I ordered a new back glass for the car since we never had one when we got the shell and I could only find one place in the whole country that had a back glass for a 1962 VW Beetle so I ordered it and then I went and picked up a 1/4" x 4' x 6' sheet of Makrolon Abrasion Resistant Extruded Polycarbonate to make the windows out of, this sheet cost more that the leaded glass but it is a bad-ass material and I can cut it myself and it won't break or crack.

We installed the rubber gasket to the rear glass and also inset the rope so that we can install it.

We also installed the rear carpeting for the car. This is the only part of the car that will have carpeting.

It took us a while to install the rear glass but it finally went in and it looks really good.

It took me about a month to clean the frames from the gasket material that we put in them, that stuff was nasty and the inside track of a Pop-out frame has several ridges inside that makes cleaning it a real Effin Joy. Then we proceeded to install the Safari and Pop-outs, much easier and they came out better that expected.

Here you can see the custom made mechanisms for the Safari windshield. We also installed the new cover for the steering wheel it has a nice texture finish on it and has a better feel to it.

We also installed the custom rubber gasket trim for the trunk and also finished cleaning up in inner trunk area so that part of the car is done.

We made a custom copper vent line to vent the gas tank (it looks like it's part of an old still).

And here is just some random shots of the car with the windows finally in. Now we need to get working on the interior.

Until Next Time...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by fernon; August 29th, 2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old July 5th, 2016, 12:50 PM   #785
mkparker
Forum Member

Really bad news on the glass, but the car looks outstanding!! Any decision on the rear "rub"?

Right to you from my Galaxy S6!
Old July 5th, 2016, 01:39 PM   #786
fernon
Forum Member

The glass situation sucks and really took the wind out of my sails for a while. It's funny when I ordered the glass for the car it was the first time I cringed at the price of anything that we have done on this thing, I don't know why but I had a bad feeling about this from day one and when it all broke I had to take a step back from the project for a while.

The rub on the other hand has gotten bad, like it's down to bare metal now kind of bad. It seems that it is coming from when I apply the brakes, the tires want to dig into the rear inner fender well. I may have to raise it up a notch but at this point the damage is done and you don't notice it as much when the car is slammed down like it is now, so I am hesitant to raise it up because you will see the damage One thought is if we raise it up we can rivet an aluminum skid plate to the inner fender well. That will send them over the edge.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Old July 5th, 2016, 01:46 PM   #787
tinbeater
Forum Member

What a bitchin car! I like the aluminum skid plate idea.
tinbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 01:49 PM   #788
fernon
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbeater View Post
What a bitchin car! I like the aluminum skid plate idea.
Thanks... I can't wait to see your ride finished. I have been watching your build thread and I have to say I love the frame that you are building.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Old July 5th, 2016, 01:57 PM   #789
tinbeater
Forum Member

Thanks man, I'm excited to finish it. It's been way to long
Old July 5th, 2016, 04:31 PM   #790
V8Transporter
Forum Member

The setback with the glass certainly sucked. But it's obvious that you can't keep a brilliant project down! A skid plate will shine just like the rest of the 'rod.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 05:54 PM   #791
cretin
Forum Member

Definitely one of my favorite Volksrods. Love the dimpled holes.

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk
cretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 07:20 AM   #792
mkparker
Forum Member

Quote:
we can rivet an aluminum skid plate to the inner fender well.
I like that idea as well, I'm sure whatever you guys come up with it'll be great!

It's good to see the car on Facebook, even though there are some really dim-witted folks dwelling there.
Old July 6th, 2016, 07:55 AM   #793
fernon
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkparker View Post
I like that idea as well, I'm sure whatever you guys come up with it'll be great!

It's good to see the car on Facebook, even though there are some really dim-witted folks dwelling there.
Yeah, as you can see I really don't post on Facebook too much but I had several people ask me to post pictures of the car there because they couldn't figure out how to follow a link to this site. That's OK, everybody runs at there own pace.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by fernon; July 6th, 2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old July 6th, 2016, 06:59 PM   #794
Ryan
Capt A's super package

Car is looking absolutely fantastic! Congrats on the build
So don't tell me that I wouldn't drive to VT to pick up a rusted piece of shit.~scott76
Quote:
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.~steve
Random stuff I am looking for: Dont think there is anything at the moment
www.solar4soldiers.org (I am starting a non-profit to put solar panels on to disabled veterans homes. PM me for more details)
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 07:20 PM   #795
Jogyver
Forum Member

Nice job . Who did your rear side windows? Im looking for the same thing.
Jogyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 07:15 AM   #796
fernon
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jogyver View Post
Nice job . Who did your rear side windows? Im looking for the same thing.
We did the rear pop-out windows ourselves. We give step by step instructions on how we did it in the build thread.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Old July 11th, 2016, 07:15 AM   #797
fernon
Forum Member

By The Seat Of Our Pants

So we have been putting this part of the build off for over a year now, once again we push ourselves into uncharted territory and see if we can do something ourselves that we have never done before.

It is time to upholster the rear seat, unlike metal where we can beat it into shape and if we mess up we can cut it apart and start over again, with this we only get one shot to get it right and just to make things even more challenging we had to narrow the rear seat for the custom side panels that we are going to be making.

First we start with stripping down the old seats and cleaning up the frames and re-painting them, then we hog-ring a double layer of burlap over the springs to protect the foam from the springs.

Then we wrap the foam and hog-ring that to the seats.

With the foam tightly pulled around the frame we are ready to install the cover.

We had to modify the cover for the custom tabs that we put into the frame to attach the rear seat into the car.

The cover is stretched over the frame and padding. It doesn't look to bad we just need to set it outside in the heat and let it expand and then it will tighten up around everything.

Here is the bottom seat after everything was heated and reformed around the seat. It came out better that we ever thought it would.

Then we started to install the custom back panel that we made for the rear seat. We had to install black fabric behind the holes so you can't see into the back inside of the seat.

Then some final dollying around the panel to make it look better.

With everything put together we installed it into the car to make sure everything still fits.

We have been asked several times about what we did in the rear quarter panel when we did the chop since the body and the roof do not match up in the rear when you chop the roof. We had to do more than usual because we were not installing a traditional headliner that will cover up most of your sins including removing all of the tabs that hold the traditional headliner in place. After a bunch of metal work and body work the rear panel looks factory.

Speaking of headliners, here is a shot of the whole headliner installed into the car.

And here are some more detailed shots of the custom Safari Window hardware installed.

Until Next Time...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by fernon; August 29th, 2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old July 11th, 2016, 09:21 AM   #798
tinbeater
Forum Member

That is killer. After going back and reading the entire thread I think you've built one of, if not the finest Volksrods out there. Absolutely fantastic job!
Old July 11th, 2016, 10:42 AM   #799
fernon
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbeater View Post
That is killer. After going back and reading the entire thread I think you've built one of, if not the finest Volksrods out there. Absolutely fantastic job!
Thanks Tinbeater. After looking at the floor pans you are making with the recess in them we got a wild idea and have decided to go in a different direction with the door panels and try something different. If it works we will let everyone see if not we are just going to go about our business and act like it never happened.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Old July 11th, 2016, 11:54 AM   #800
nshaddox
Forum Member

Definitely the most detailed volksrod. You are so close to getting to the 1%er club of people who have actually finished their projects. Happy for you. Thanks for sharing all the detailed pics and cool ideas.
nshaddox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capella chop, chop top, dimple die, lightening holes, speed holes, suicide doors