Threads: 32,307
Total Online: 677

Newest Member: OliverP

Latest Threads
- by Zee
- by horshak

Old June 9th, 2005, 07:56 PM   #76
hotrodheb

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img] Very nice!!! I like it! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 11:09 PM   #77
vwcalbug
Forum Member

i like them alot....but im not so sure they fit the body lines...

what about making them more pointed?? the type 3 body has alot of curves...the squared out lids don't quite fit to me....i think somehting more pointed would look badass and fit into the lead sled look

don't get me wrong, looks great, but im my own opinion, could be diff [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

-JustinD

Its Cut, Weld, Drive!!!

Current Project: 2017cc w/ aj simms 40x35 heads, web 218, cb super race crank 78mm, cb supercase, 46mm aj simms kadrons, 1.25 rockers, aircooled SLR'd lifters.

Have it built out to the pistons and cylinders, ready for heads
vwcalbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 11:25 PM   #78
skaterwithasquare
Forum Member

I was thinking of adding eyebrows to my square...damn those look cool...I agree though that you might want to consider rounding them out a little...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"
skaterwithasquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 07:40 AM   #79
cybernotchback
Forum Member

Killer work John. Maybe make the tops of the eyebrows a bit more rounded. They seem a bit too flat for the contour of the T3 fenders. Otherwise I think you nailed the Tri-5 Chevy/ledsled look perfectly.

Please keep sending the update pics [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
cybernotchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:47 AM   #80
jaransonT3
Type 3 Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by cybernotchback@Jun 10 2005, 10:40 AM
Killer work John. Maybe make the tops of the eyebrows a bit more rounded. They seem a bit too flat for the contour of the T3 fenders. Otherwise I think you nailed the Tri-5 Chevy/ledsled look perfectly.

Please keep sending the update pics [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
Looking at the pictures that you guys see, I can see why you get the sense that they are squared off. It is really an optical illusion! The reworked sheetmetal is rounded not flattened on top.

There is a radius change but it is small. The illusion come from the fact that there is a bit of an extra eyebrow at the top of the arc. I will have to post some pics from directly overhead and from straight on.

I think the illusion will work once the roof is chopped. It is going to look much flatter since it will be low and wide.

Thanks for all the feedback though. I am considering adding a small peak to the top of the fenders, similar to the one on the hood. It would start at the front of the headlight bucket and then fade out near the rear of the fender.
'69 Square (Panel wanna-be)
'70/'71 Fasty (Jane - the Lead Sled project)

My Home Page
CarArt by John Jaranson
2010 Type 3 Invasion
jaransonT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #81
cybernotchback
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jaransonT3@Jun 10 2005, 07:47 AM

I am considering adding a small peak to the top of the fenders, similar to the one on the hood. It would start at the front of the headlight bucket and then fade out near the rear of the fender.
Had a quick look at a Tri-5, and that's exactly what I was thinking it needed, the peak in the fender. Once you change the roof line though this may not be necessary [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img] Killer work, just simply killer [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:35 AM   #82
jaransonT3
Type 3 Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by cybernotchback+Jun 10 2005, 11:59 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cybernotchback @ Jun 10 2005, 11:59 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jaransonT3@Jun 10 2005, 07:47 AM

I am considering adding a small peak to the top of the fenders, similar to the one on the hood. It would start at the front of the headlight bucket and then fade out near the rear of the fender.
Had a quick look at a Tri-5, and that's exactly what I was thinking it needed, the peak in the fender. Once you change the roof line though this may not be necessary [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img] Killer work, just simply killer [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

OK, you guys got my thinking, so I ran home at lunch time and welded a couple of peaks to the tops of the fenders.....I removed the emblem buldge on the hood while I was at it, too.

What do you think?
[attachmentid=5442]

My Home Page
CarArt by John Jaranson
2010 Type 3 Invasion
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:37 AM   #83
75bugrod
Forum Member

sweetness lol, looks damn good man, kinda making me wish i had fenders [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
75bugrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:42 AM   #84
1slo3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

man, i wish i could run home at lunch and weld! hehe [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img]
1slo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 10:02 AM   #85
cybernotchback
Forum Member

Looks very cool. That does it, ties the eyebrows in nicely. I think it's headed in the right direction [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Couldn't really see is the peak metal? If so how the hell did you form them so quickly??

Can't wait for more pics.
Old June 10th, 2005, 10:24 AM   #86
mikeschramm
Forum Member

Looking great. If your still interested in using those Hagan trim rings you need to check the diameter of the bucket, if it is almost 8" then those trim rings will fit. You need to move the head lights back into the bucket a bit. Remember the rings are an inch deep so the lights have to be back an inch. You may have to cut the light mounts out and remount them further back. Also the trim clips need alittle flange to hold them in place. You can weld a little rod (like the size of a welding rod) all the way around the inside diameter of the bucket about a 1/4 inch in from the edge.
mikeschramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 10:45 AM   #87
jaransonT3
Type 3 Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by cybernotchback@Jun 10 2005, 01:02 PM
Looks very cool. That does it, ties the eyebrows in nicely. I think it's headed in the right direction [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Couldn't really see is the peak metal? If so how the hell did you form them so quickly??

Can't wait for more pics.
The peaks are only made of pixels......

PhotoShop is an amazing tool! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

My Home Page
CarArt by John Jaranson
2010 Type 3 Invasion
Old June 10th, 2005, 10:56 AM   #88
mikeschramm
Forum Member

and I was thinking "Dame, he is good" [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:14 AM   #89
cybernotchback
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jaransonT3@Jun 10 2005, 09:45 AM
The peaks are only made of pixels......

PhotoShop is an amazing tool! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif[/img] Now I feel like a real dumbass, I forgot how good you are with PS. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] That's it you WELDED with pixels [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] That's what I get for fitting responses in around my work.

Ok, well now you'll just have to do them in metal and make them look as good. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old June 10th, 2005, 12:19 PM   #90
georgiaboy
Forum Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] me like
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:10 PM   #91
notched
Forum Member

Lookin' sweet. I picked up on the Photoshop. That was funny.

You just gotta do the peaks. I just finished taking out the embossed area for the VW logo on my '69 hood, and pointed the peak.

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
You will make a good wife, some day, John.
notched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 07:08 PM   #92
vwuberalles
Forum Member

oh, shit, haha. i was gonna say, how long of a lunch break do you get, and is the place you work at hiring?!?! that will look killer!!! i'm loving your car and i'm glad you're showing progress pics along the way.. i'm tempted to go wrench on the fasty right now!!!

wish in one hand and shit in the other, see which one fills up faster.

http://www.myspace.com/recycles
vwuberalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 07:10 PM   #93
hotrodheb

Quote:
Originally posted by vwuberalles@Jun 10 2005, 07:08 PM
i'm tempted to go wrench on the fasty right now!!!
Well, go out to the garage and do it!!!

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 08:55 AM   #94
Bobnotch
Forum Member

Looking good John, looking good. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] Sorry if I haven't been around here much, but I've been helping my son with his car out in the garage. I figure we're about 2 weeks away from re-painting it, as we're done doing the heavy welding and grinding. Now, it's on to fillers and primers. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img] I love the progress pics though, so keep'em coming. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img]
Bobnotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 08:25 PM   #95
jaransonT3
Type 3 Nut

More pics from this weekends work. I got the headlight eyebrows all welded up and ground down. No peaks on the top of the fenders yet. Still not sure about that one. I started filling the old turn signal holes and repairing some rust.

I also took a couple of pictures from straight on and overhead, so you can all see that the eyebrows really are round and not flat on top. It is just an optical illusion. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

I really like this angle....not that anyone will ever see it from this angle once I get it scraping the ground.[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

They are even curved in top view.

See they really are round. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Next steps are to finish welding up all the holes and then get on with the back fenders and the hood.

My Home Page
CarArt by John Jaranson
2010 Type 3 Invasion
Old June 13th, 2005, 08:30 PM   #96
Ian
Forum Member

Looks great!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Punk View Post
it went to a Samba Monkey.
It's all fun and games until the strippers call the cops.

Volksrods.com - Re-engineering the VW Bug one at a time
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 08:33 PM   #97
Nick
Forum Member

Looks like you're nearing the final stages [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 08:37 PM   #98
mikeschramm
Forum Member

Jaranson, I have an idea for making your peaks that wouldent involve "too much" work. Go buy a little metal pipe, maybe about 3/8" diameter, and with your cut off wheel split it down the middle. With the split side down take your body hammer and tap both sides in alittle to make it somewhat pointy then weld this section on the top of the fender. Use the grinder to finish off the shape. Im not good at explaining things but it seems easy enough.
Old June 13th, 2005, 08:46 PM   #99
jaransonT3
Type 3 Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick@Jun 13 2005, 11:33 PM
Looks like you're nearing the final stages [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Maybe with the front fenders....but I am a long way from being near the final stages. Still have to chop and recontour the roof. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>mikeschramm Posted Today, 11:37 PM
Jaranson, I have an idea for making your peaks that wouldent involve "too much" work. Go buy a little metal pipe, maybe about 3/8" diameter, and with your cut off wheel split it down the middle. With the split side down take your body hammer and tap both sides in alittle to make it somewhat pointy then weld this section on the top of the fender. Use the grinder to finish off the shape. Im not good at explaining things but it seems easy enough.[/b][/quote]

This could work but I am not sure it would have the right shape. I have access to a nice sheet metal shear and brake at work. I think I can just shear off a narrow strip and then put a 90 degree break in it, tack it on and then tweak the ends to a point. I will probably try one fender to see if I like it. Can always go back and do the other or grind it off.

My Home Page
CarArt by John Jaranson
2010 Type 3 Invasion
Old June 13th, 2005, 08:52 PM   #100
mikeschramm
Forum Member

Your photoshop pic shows it more rounded then a 90 degree point but that would look killer also.