metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: I aquired another VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ghia View Post
Huh.

I don't seem to have that problem...

Oh, wait. I live in Arizona. 65 and not a cloud in the sky.

Rub it in why don't ya

I have a friend that lives in AZ, not sure exactly where, but I think it's near Scottsdale or something like that, anyway, he called me last February to tell me he was sitting at a pool watching bikini clad women in 80 degree temps

If I could talk my 2 doctors to move to AZ with me, I'd be out there by the end of January, altho it would take me until July or longer to get all my machinery & tools moved, my wife works for the GOV & they have offices all over the country, so they would pay to move everything

The good thing is, I wouldn't need a heater in my garage/shop, AC would be a necessity, but then again, here in Cinci when it's in the upper 90's or lower 100's & the humdity is way up there, it's my favorite time of year

BTW, heat wave here, it's in the lower 40's at the moment, that's almost 50 degrees warmer than it was Monday & Tuesday
I'm headed outside here soon to get my windshield washer system hooked up, then I'll be able to see where I'm driving

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #227
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

I thought you would appreciate it!

Bummer for you guys back east...definitely makes life more difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 04:56 PM   #228
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Huh.

I don't seem to have that problem...

Oh, wait. I live in Arizona. 65 and not a cloud in the sky.

just shy of above 0 degrees here. Freaking cold was -28 earlier this week. If winter wasn't an SOB I'd be out working on my car. I could work on it, but I like having all of my digits and not having snow freaking fall into my car as I'm chopping the roof.
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #229
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

Raining and 38 right now. Clearing the driveway for me.
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #230
V8Transporter
Forum Member

48 degrees and we're hoping for rain. 'Got a ring around the moon, so maybe a few inches tomorrow. I've got my wipers working and am all ready.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 08:54 PM   #231
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
I thought you would appreciate it!
I appreciate anyplace where it stays above freezing at this point

Anymore I'm cold when it gets below 60 & the sun's not shinning, I've lost a lot of shoulder movement over the last 5 years, so by the time I bundle up to go out & work I look like Ralphie's lil brother on the movie "A Christmas Story" it makes it tough to do a lot of work, but somehow I get it done

I got the washer fluid reservoir in & bought new wipers, I do need to make one small bracket, I just used a piece of bailing wire to hold the reservoir until I can make a piece, no pics this time, my camera batteries died

BTW, today it got up to 52 degrees & the sun was out, I should have been out doing something, but I had to visit the vampires office, so I decided to spend the day with my wife, not to often we get a nice sunny warm January day, it was a Good day

Ron

RSS
Old January 18th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #232
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

So yesterday I had to make another 180 mile round trip to pick my son up from work in Springfield Ohio, it's a long story & since I have a tough time keeping stories short, I'll try to keep it to a minimum
I started my exciting drive thru the snow covered highways here between Cincinnati & Springfield, lucky for me I got smart & installed my windshield washer fluid apparatus to make seeing much easier, well it made it easy to see out the front windshield, but with no heat, the rest of the windows were covered in snow which eventually turned to ice about 40 miles into my trip, switching lanes was a very exciting ordeal, there were the tracks left from all the other vehicles, but under the car in the center of the tires & the lanes, there was about 3 to 4 inches of snow, slush & ice, so when changing lanes my V-Rod would hit the slush piles & it would wanna make the car go every which way but straight ahead, let me tell ya's, a few times I thought I was gonna spin into a few dozen uncontrollable hair raising wipe outs which would have been with other vehicles, most of which were large trucks
I made the trip safely, but it did leave a bunch a ice stuck to my V-Rod
Below are a few pictures
The first was taken just before I headed back to Cinci, I had to refill my windshield wiper fluid

The rest were taken once I got back to Cinci at the gas station when I was filling up the gas tank

RSS
Old January 19th, 2014, 07:29 AM   #233
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

More pics of my ice covered V-Rod

The master cyinder & beam extender are under all that ice somewhere

Ron

RSS
Old January 19th, 2014, 12:47 PM   #234
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Snow, no heat, no fenders, and windshield wiper fluid? DAMN, you're hardcore to the max.
Old January 19th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #235
johnny27030
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

At least he has windows! I have no intents of driving mine through the snow and ice. Ill use the Jeep for that, but I took mine out yesterday in a cool 35 degrees. No windows in the doors. It was cold, but im sure nothing compared to being hardcore like this!
johnny27030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 05:18 PM   #236
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I don't know why, but driving in the snow is about the only thing I like, prolly from people saying "you can't get there in this snow" other than that, I have no desire to be in the snow
I have never ever had any heat in any of my Bugs, christmas eve of 1987 we, my wife & 9 month old son were driving around visiting family, snow was blowing thru the dash in all our faces, after that I always fill that area with lotsa blankets wrapped in plastic to stop the drafts, it's my finger tips that get cold, even when wearing gloves, if you don't open the vent windows every now & then the windows will steam up

I already started searching for a gas heater for my Bug, it's just gonna take me a while to gather the needed funds, I don't wanna spend another winter cold

Ron

RSS
Old January 23rd, 2014, 03:40 PM   #237
KdFmangler
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

hardcore brother. this Cincinnati winter has flat out SUCKED!!!!
http://www.droppedaxleproductions.co.../DAPindex.html
KdFmangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 03:51 PM   #238
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I'm over in Illinois guys so I know the feeling. Getting down to -10* tonight. Letting class finish their quiz and head home.
Jeff
Old January 23rd, 2014, 04:33 PM   #239
SCOTTRODS
Forum Member

North Texas... Predicted to be 18 F overnight... Brrrrrrrrr

By Sunday afternoon, Near 70 again. My frickin' bones are taking a BEATING this year.
SCOTTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:04 PM   #240
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Meanwhile, we're at about 2" of rain since last spring. Usually we have about 20 to 24". The Russian River, currently, is at a trickle. I'd be forever grateful to anyone e-mailing me a small blizzard, or even a simple heavy rainstorm. I jus knew that it was bad juju to get the SC's wipers up and working last year.....
Old January 24th, 2014, 07:32 AM   #241
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

-2 degrees out & my V-Rod started right up, well I did hafta crank it a few times & pump the hell out of the accelerator pedal, now if I can only figure out where the oil is coming from, I'm thinking I hafta reseal the case halves

Guess I'm gonna hafta wait till warmer weather, if I get this job I can pull the engine, split the case, I'll just hafta ride a bicycle to work, it's all mostly down hill there, I'll be pushing it up the hills cause I doubt I'll be able to pedal up them as I was before I had a drivers license, but hey, I'll be in great shape by mid Summer

Drew, winter is only part way over, but the past few Cinci winters have been very mild, this is more like what I remember as a young child, I just can't believe that I played out in this frigid cold, I musta been crazy cause now days I don't go out unless I absolutely have to
Guess what, I hafta go out & put the front spindle back on my wife's car, Monday morning the wheel bearing was making a crunching sound, it was a PITA to get the old bearing out, but a lot of heat & a big hammer did the trick the other day
One day I'm a move someplace where it never gets cold, Costa Rica almost sounds good at this point

@V8Transporter (I forgot your name) if I could mail you a BIG box of snow I'd do it, but I'd bet by the time it got there it would either be water, or just an empty container

Ron

RSS
Old January 24th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #242
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Hey Ron,

Congrats on the job - that is great news. I know it will take a little doing to iron out some of the details, like visiting the vampire, but it sounds like it will work out.

We have quite a few snowbirds out here, they start showing up in November and start leaving around March. Maybe you will have to deliver that oval cljp yourself...get out of the cold for a bit... lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 06:54 PM   #243
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Hey Ron,

Congrats on the job - that is great news. I know it will take a little doing to iron out some of the details, like visiting the vampire, but it sounds like it will work out.

We have quite a few snowbirds out here, they start showing up in November and start leaving around March. Maybe you will have to deliver that oval cljp yourself...get out of the cold for a bit... lol!
Thanks Keith

I may just deliver that oval clip, I hope to get around to cutting the top off in the next few months, I'm just lacking sawz-all blades & wizz wheels aka cut-off wheels

Ron

RSS
Old February 27th, 2014, 05:30 AM   #244
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Well I finally did it, bought myself a jar that has a lid that counts your change as you push it thru the slot
This is to save up for a counter weight stroker crankshaft

I just wish it took bills, guess I could lighten it up by exchanging $10 worth of change with a $10 dollar bill
I'm up to $1.17 already, only $298.83 to go

Oh yeah, a few days ago I had the opportunity to buy a 1972 Super Beetle automatic stick with no engine, it was rough but complete, if I'd had the money it would be in my driveway
Here's a pic

I'd make that into a truck

Ron

RSS
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:05 AM   #245
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

How much?
Jeff
Old February 28th, 2014, 09:36 AM   #246
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiI View Post
How much?
Jeff
Last Friday he told me $400, the guy just called me & said if I give him $300 I can take it home today or tomorrow, he wants it out of his lot before this weekends snow comes, otherwise he's gonna scrap it

Oh yeah, the transmission even works

I'm kinda screwed tho, my shoulder is been hurting bad, so I still haven't gotten the tail lights on my trailer, I need the trailer so I can haul off a bunch of scrap to come up with the rest of the money, so as long as I can get the lights on & haul off the scrap, I may get the Bug tomorrow

Or if I can find somebody to lend me $200 I'll go get it & scrap the stuff next week

Guess we'll just hafta wait & see how everything goes

Ron

RSS
Old March 5th, 2014, 12:24 PM   #247
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Well it looks like I'm gonna be tearing apart my tranny as soon as I get my car up on stands & engine out, I have another tranny I could put in, but it had a reverse problem back when it was in my rail buggy, I'd be disappointed to put it in & 2 weeks later reverse totally goes out
Thinking I may as well pull the engine case apart to see if I can fix the oil leak, as I have mentioned before, it only leaks about a pint of oil every 3- 4000 miles, but the engine just looks like crap, once the dust starts getting to thick to see the chrome on the cooling shroud I pressure wash it off, that just gets to be a PITA & either way I just don't like to leave oil all over, it's getting to expensive & it's not good for the environment

I may just take the tranny I have from my rail buggy & tear it apart & put the good insides that I have in it, that way I'm not totally stuck without a car for a few weeks/days, guess it depends on how good I feel once I get started, headed out in a bit to clean a spot on my work bench so I can take on this project
I have never worked on a VW tranny before, so this will be a learning experience for me, it's been at least 8 years since I took the insides out of the tranny I plan to use for my Trike project, from what I remember it wasn't to difficult to get apart, I'll just need to be careful not to loose any of the little steel balls that are everywhere, well I just remember it had a bunch in the front nose where all the hockey stick shift rods are, other than that I should have everything I need, I think I remember making a special socket to get one of the nuts loose, I have all the indicators to set any back lash, so I'll let ya's all know how it turns out, it may end up just being a VW that can't go backwards unless you get out & push it, at the moment I can get it to move backwards as long as it's flat or backing down hill, I almost got it up my driveway yesterday afternoon, but I hit a patch of ice & it popped out of gear, I can get it to move a little bit as long as I hold it in reverse, but that's starting to get to the point where I think it's worn all the teeth off

Maybe I'll get lucky & the shifting fork bent or something easy, guess I'll find out soon enough

Ron

RSS
Old March 8th, 2014, 05:50 AM   #248
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Today I'm gonna put the tranny from my rail buggy in, my oldest son told me that reverse worked fine in it, I just hope his memory is better than mine, I'll find out by this evening, I pulled everything out yesterday & switched the nose of the tranny & set it in last night just as the sun went down, so now I just gotta bolt everything up & see

I still haven't found the rest of the innards from the tranny I took apart, I just need to find all the shift rods & 1 part of the reverse gear, I have everything else, I guess once I get my garage cleaned out I'll find it & then I'll just rebuild the tranny I pulled out yesterday
Not bad, started about 4 pm & had the tranny ready to go back in by 7:30 pm & I even stopped to eat dinner, so I'll come in & post again when I'm finished, if I don't post anything today, that means the tranny didn't have reverse & I either beat my son over the head with the old tranny, or I just crawled up underneath the car to sleep on it, or under it I mean

Ron

RSS
Old March 8th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #249
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

It goes backwards & it doesn't pop out of gear, I even backed up the street as fast as I could get it to go & nothing, the one stupid mistake I made was not checking & filling the dadgum thing with gear lub, & that's just a PITA to do when it's in the car
I now know what I'm doing tomorrow morning

Ron

RSS
Old March 17th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #250
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Well I found out where my oil was leaking from, after cleaning the engine before tearing it apart to change transaxles it stayed dry, then while putting the engine back in I bumped the oil pressure sending unit & it was loose & wouldn't tighten up, I fixed it temporarly by taking a 1 inch long brass 1/8 inch pipe nipple & wrapped it with teflon tape until it had a rather large lump near where the threads stopped, then screwed it in until it just got snug, then put a coupling on the end of the nipple & screwed the sending unit in, after 150 miles it still hasn't started leaking

I can't believe that's where it was leaking from, it only leaked when going up hills, then once it would get on the crank pulley it would sling oil everywhere, I can't believe I missed that, I checked everything but the sending unit, If I wouldn't have bumped it I'd still be wondering where it was coming from

Guess I'll fix it the same way I did it years ago when I had that happen, clean it up with denatured alcohol & J-B Weld it, then re-tap it
Or I could just drill it out to 1/4 NTP & use a reducer, never tried that yet, but if theres enough room, that's what I'll do

Ron

RSS