Newest Member: justinvw2275

Latest Threads
- by Bugula

Old May 12th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #276
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: I aquired another VW

Well I finally have the new engine in & have all the lil bugs (no pun intended) worked out (I hope)

I'll go back & explain a few issues I had trouble with, so after I put the engine in & started driving it & all was good, mostly short trips no more than 5 miles total, then last Tuesday was Vampires office day, it's a 20 mile round trip, I leave, when I get there it only takes about 10 minutes for them to do what they do, suck my blood, bout the time I leave the temp out was getting hotter, about 72 degrees when I got home, about half way home it (the engine) started acting funny every time I shifted to 3rd gear, popping, missing, something wasn't right, so I shut it down & coast to the next street , I stopped to check things out, oil was good, all spark plug wires were on, but when I went to check the oil, I notice the dip stick is really hot, the engine seemed a bit to hot as well, so I sit & wait an hour, engine is much cooler, exhaust pipes cooled off enough I could hold them & not get burnt
So, I drive it the rest of the way home, bout 4 miles, it was still acting funny if I put it in 3rd gear, so I just drove nice & slow, once home I check things out, wait for it to cool as it was a bit hot, after I do a visual check, I started to think what could make it run hot, so I crawl under the engine & notice the flipping 2 most important cooling pieces are missing, I knew exactly what was going on, it was over heating, my heart just sunk, all I could think of is that the engine could be scrap

So the next morning I went out & did a compression test, remember the engine is cold, all 4 cylinders are just fine when it comes to compression. next I fire it up & hook a vacuum gauge up, that can show a week valve spring, burnt or broken valve as well as a bunch of other problems
So then I call Denver, the guy who built the engine & tell him about the engine, he said he knew those pieces were not on the engine, I told him that if you build engines, you put all parts on NO MATTER WHAT, & if you forget them, you pull the heads & put them on, you should NEVER let an engine go out missing parts, never ever, we talked a while, I asked what was gonna be done in case the engine is shot, he didn't answer me
So over the weekend I was thinking of a way to put those cooling parts in, I have an old set of the nylon spring loaded push rod tubes, I only had 7 of them plus one of the aluminum kind that use threads & nuts to spread it apart to seal, I did NOT wanna remove the heads to pull the push rod tubes out just to install those 2 little cooling parts that are what I call the 2 most important parts on an AC VW engine
I pull the valve covers, the rockers, which BTW I noticed on side the block that they pivot on where the stud goes & hold them down, was broken, I could see it was cracked as soon as I took the cover off, I replace both rocker sets, removed the push rods, then broke the push rod tubes out, put in the one aluminum one I had, adjusted it so it wouldn't leak, then replace the last 7 with the nylon ones I had, wouldn't you know it, 2 of the nylon tubes break, just one side of them
What next right? Well, back in or around 1991 after I bought the aluminum push rod tube to replace a leaky tube while off road riding at the local dune buggy shop in Laural Indiana, after installing it I got to thinking "I could make a set of these" so I ordered a piece of 1" aluminum tube with a 5/8" hole thru it, cut them up into pieces, cut the ends the seals go on where they touch the case & head, I never finished them, don't think I even touched them, then I get sick & quit work, had my transplants, but over those first few years after I had quit work, I use a few pieces of the push rod tubes, the short pieces for other stuff, made a few spacers & a few other things to fill a need at the time
Well it turns out I only needed the longer of the parts to make the 2 parts to replace the broken nylon parts, I made 3 all together, when I finish the rest of the 7 I'll buy more aluminum & make the other half, I so don't like spreading the stock push rod tubes when assembling an AC VW engine
I get everything finished yesterday, put everything back together & fire up the engine, it has a small oil leak at one of the tubes, I think it's one of the nylon pieces, I'll get to it in the future, so I drive the car a little bit until it gets hot so I know if it's ok, it seems ok, but I took it on the real test this afternoon
It got up to around 85 degrees today, I loaded up my trailer with 400 lbs of steel/iron & head to the scrapyard, it's about a 15 mile round trip, everything went fantastic, then engine got good & warm, but it didn't feel as hot as it had gotten the day I went to the Vampires office, & it was 15 degrees warmer outside today

I could feel the weight lift right off my shoulders as I got closer to home, it ran great the entire way, I was pulling 1020 lbs to the scrapyard & 620 lbs home with no trouble, I just hope this over heating issue doesn't take away from the life of this engine, only time will tell, sometime next week I'm gonna drive it up north to Denver's place to drop him off an engine core, if I have problems with this engine before then, I'm going up to trade him the engine for another one that he is in the process of rebuilding, altho I'm a bit hesitant to use anything he has worked on now, but as I told him, the engine that was in my V-Rod I had the heads, cylinders & pistons off it at least 5 times trying to put used pistons & rings to keep it running, then I bought new rings only to have 1 set of rings break, it was the original set I put on that were on the car when I got it, the 1 cylinder must have been warped, or distorted in a way to cause the rings to break, I put one used cylinder on with one set of used rings, it was slowly loosing power, ya know, those 5 times I had th engine down, then reassembled it, twice did I forget to put the 2 cooling pieces that go under the bottom side of the cylinders, I just hung my head & pulled the heads, push rod tubes, put the cooling pieces on, then buttoned everything up, it's an easy item to forget, so, do not drive or start an AC VW engine without the 2 main cooling items on, it could have spelled disaster for me, I still won't feel comfortable driving it until I have put a good number of miles on it, all I can say is wish me luck

The true test will be when I go to return the engine core to Urbana Ohio, it's about a 100 mile drive, I'll be pulling my trailer with a core engine on it, if I have problems, I'll straighten that out with the builder when I get there

As of my drive today, the engine has 61 miles on it, not many at all, I did let it run for almost 2 hours before even driving it, then it also ran another 2 hours before it's drive this afternoon

Again, wish me luck, I'm a need it, Thank ya's

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 05:27 PM   #277
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I almost forgot the pictures of all the fun I had while machining the push rod tubes, that was THE BEST part about it
A pic of the push rod tubes before installing them, a few pics of them on the lathe, & a pic og the tubes on the engine, the one pic you can see the odd ball push rod tube, those were the kind I was gonna make 20 plus years ago, like I said, I'm gonna finish the ones like the 3 I made for the nylon tubes, I'm gonna just make the other half using aluminum, then use the springs the same way, if I do it right they won't leak at all

Here you can see what's missing

The 3 aluminum parts I made

here on the right you can see what I started with, I believe it's the middle one that is nylon, the left one is what I made to replace the broken nylon ones

You can see the one to the left, that's what I intended to make a complete set of, I'll still make them, just a bit changed

Here is a video, not sure if you can hear what I was saying, but it wasn't important, just know, I was having the time of my life, I love cutting metal into usable parts, specially when I'm the one using them, I plans for a lot more machining in the future, I really loved my job when I was working, I guess you can tell from the machines I have collected over the past few years, need anything made, just send me a drawing & material

Ron

RSS
Old May 15th, 2014, 11:08 AM   #278
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Well I spoke too soon, I almost feel guilty posting this here, but what the hell, y'all have gone far beyond for me already & I truly thank you!!

I have spent the past few days trying different things to get this engine running right, I'm almost sure it ruined something do to the cooling pieces not being installed, this morning it was 51 degrees & the engine just wasn't running good at all, I replaced the plug wires, cap & button but it still runs the same, it idles just fine, but once you put a load on it, it want's to pop & miss as if something in the ignition system is messed up, well it's not, I know it's do to the builder NOT installing the lower cylinder cooling parts
So, I called him earlier this morning, the engine he sent to me missing the parts has a reground crank, new pistons & cylinders & new heads, he said he would give me another engine he just finished assembling, yet the only new parts he used were bearings & rings. I have no idea what was paid for this engine, but I really don't think this guy knows much about AC VW's, I asked him how long he has been working on them, 3 years he told me, he also told me he has never put those lower cooling parts on any of the engines he rebuilt, his 1915cc buggy doesn't have therm
& he hasn't had any trouble out of it, so, I asked him if he drives it for long periods of time, or daily, he said no, he then told me he called Larryy's off road center in Dayton Ohio & asked about those cooling pieces, he was told they are a "must have" on a AC VW engine, just as I told him the first time I talked to him

Now, what do you all, who went far & beyond to help me out think I should do?

Have him replace the heads, pistons & cylinders with new ones & I install them myself, he can gladly have the other ones back, my only problem is I may hafta take him to small claims court, that can take months

I also think he should give back the core charge money ASAP do to his inability of rebuilding an engine properly

Yes I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment, after spending a week trying to get this engine to run right after only driving it 20 miles on it's first trip & have it over heat, he could have put a note on the engine stating that it is missing the cooling parts & I would have gladly put them on myself, as of now the engine has less than 60 miles on it & it does not work properly

Yes I have triple checked everything at least 2 times, a few things I checked more than 6 times just to make sure I wasn't missing anything

Any advice from anyone would help me, at the moment I'm at a lose, specially after all you here have done for me, you have no idea what it means to me to have friends like everyone here

Thanks again everyone

Ron

RSS
Old May 15th, 2014, 08:11 PM   #279
DrHax
Forum Member

Seeing this has me worried! What parts of this engine did the builder fuck up!? I want to know so I know what to hunt down and seek. I don't know what to say man. Wish I could help.

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 08:39 PM   #280
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
Seeing this has me worried! What parts of this engine did the builder fuck up!? I want to know so I know what to hunt down and seek. I don't know what to say man. Wish I could help.
Under the cylinders above the push rod tubes on each side of the engine there are 2 sheet metal parts that clip onto the studs, they make the cooling air flow around the cylinders so that they stay cool completely around rather than if they are left out the cooling air just goes out the bottom making the bottom of the cylinders over heat which can cause all kinds of problems

Here is a pic ofth e original parts that came on type 1 VW engines

Here are a set that they put on the type 3 VW's to increase cooling problems they had, I usually put them kind on my engines, but I didn't have an extra set, but here is a pic of them

Run an engine for any length of time & it will over heat & ruin the engine, the builder of my engine said he has never put them on any engines, even his buggy which he drives for short periods of time

I'm just not sure what to do about it, I'm stuck with an engine that just isn't right, after I told him last Friday they were the 2 most important cooling parts, he called his local off road center, they told him what I told him, he had just finished rebuilding another engine & left those out, he went back & put them in using the leaky nylon spring loaded push rod tubes, he wants to trade engines, I just want him to replace the pistons, cylinders & rings with new ones as well as the new heads rather thasn take an engine he just put new bearing in & rings

I don't wanna make a big deal of this, but I'm screwed, he lives 100 miles from me, I have no way to get there unless I drive my V-Rod, I doubt it would last that long after this mornings drive, it just keeps getting worse, so now it's parked for good which puts me in a bad situation, I'm half tempted to call him again tomorrow about replacing the parts, then I'll give him an engine core back so they can get the core money back, until he is willing to pay for his mistake, I'm screwed, my wife thinks I should take him to court over the matter, but that can take 28 days, even then it can go on for a few weeks, but he truly doesn't know how to rebuild a reliable engine, if I had known those parts were missing, I'd have put them on myself before even putting the engine in the car, I was led to believe it was a turn key engine
Calling Denver tomorrow to see what he is gonna do, after all, you all paid him for a complete engine, he didn't even build a complete engine,b ut he doesn't want to replace the new parts that are most likely no good with new parts, I just want what was paid for as well as the core charge returned ASAP, when my car is fixed, which I'll do myself, then I'll take him a complete engine core

Ron

RSS
Old May 15th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #281
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post
Now, what do you all, who went far & beyond to help me out think I should do?

Have him replace the heads, pistons & cylinders with new ones & I install them myself, he can gladly have the other ones back, my only problem is I may hafta take him to small claims court, that can take months

I also think he should give back the core charge money ASAP do to his inability of rebuilding an engine properly

Ron
Hmmm. I am pretty bummed about this Ron - I am truly sorry that there are issues.

I called five places around you to see if any of them had a motor - none did. They all said that they don't keep them in stock - they build one when it is ordered, may take six weeks or so.

When I called Drew's Off-Road, they actually are the ones that gave me Denver's name. (Pretty sure it was them. If not it was Larry's Off-Road.) Anyway, they said that he had built motors for them before and that he does a really good job.

They also said that he usually has one built, that he will tell you everything that he has done, start it up and let you listen to it run, everything before purchase. Not knowing in person, it sounded OK to me to at least check out.

I called Denver, talked with him a few times - all sounded as OK as it can from this far away. He told me that he has been building motors for awhile now (I guess that term wasn't clearly defined). I sort of assumed that he was an older gentlemen and had been doing VW motors longer than Dr Hax has been alive. He also told me that he replaces the old with new, line bores if needed, new heads etc. All sounded legit from my end.

I am pretty sure that he will give you the new parts - or give you the money to purchase the new parts.

The whole deal was for a turnkey motor. Missing cooling tin is not a turnkey motor.

I will tell you what I would recommend you do. Everyone else can chime in on this as well.

See if he will provide replacement parts as mentioned above. Then rebuild your motor with them. Seal up all the leaks etc. Then swap out all the top end stuff (once again) back to your motor and give him back what is left of the motor he gave you.

If you do this while running the motor he gave you, you won't have to do it in two days. You can spend a week or two making sure it is all done correctly. That way your VR isn't down during the rebuild, and you are driving what you are comfortable with.

I would let him keep the money if he gives you the new heads, pistons & cylinders. If he gives the money to you anyway, as well as providing the replacement parts - then he "made right" and is OK in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #282
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ghia View Post
Hmmm. I am pretty bummed about this Ron - I am truly sorry that there are issues.

I called five places around you to see if any of them had a motor - none did. They all said that they don't keep them in stock - they build one when it is ordered, may take six weeks or so.

When I called Drew's Off-Road, they actually are the ones that gave me Denver's name. (Pretty sure it was them. If not it was Larry's Off-Road.) Anyway, they said that he had built motors for them before and that he does a really good job.

They also said that he usually has one built, that he will tell you everything that he has done, start it up and let you listen to it run, everything before purchase. Not knowing in person, it sounded OK to me to at least check out.

I called Denver, talked with him a few times - all sounded as OK as it can from this far away. He told me that he has been building motors for awhile now (I guess that term wasn't clearly defined). I sort of assumed that he was an older gentlemen and had been doing VW motors longer than Dr Hax has been alive. He also told me that he replaces the old with new, line bores if needed, new heads etc. All sounded legit from my end.

I am pretty sure that he will give you the new parts - or give you the money to purchase the new parts.

The whole deal was for a turnkey motor. Missing cooling tin is not a turnkey motor.

I will tell you what I would recommend you do. Everyone else can chime in on this as well.

See if he will provide replacement parts as mentioned above. Then rebuild your motor with them. Seal up all the leaks etc. Then swap out all the top end stuff (once again) back to your motor and give him back what is left of the motor he gave you.

If you do this while running the motor he gave you, you won't have to do it in two days. You can spend a week or two making sure it is all done correctly. That way your VR isn't down during the rebuild, and you are driving what you are comfortable with.

I would let him keep the money if he gives you the new heads, pistons & cylinders. If he gives the money to you anyway, as well as providing the replacement parts - then he "made right" and is OK in my book.
I'll call him tomorrow & ask him about replacing the parts, I'll then install them myself, once done, I'll return everything including a rebuild-able core engine, complete, I'll even return the brand new carb that was on the engine

Today he told me he put in a reground crank, new bearings, rods, P & C's & heads, I'll keep the short block & just put the new parts on, IF I could get them by Saturday afternoon I could have it ready to drive Monday morning so I can have my Blood labs taken (fasting blood labs, before eating, drinking, or taking any of my meds), it's time critical as Wednesday I have a doctors appointment & if I'm more than 30 minutes late getting my blood taken it screws up my numbers, them my doc wants to do all sorts of unnecessary tests

I'll bet he called Larry's as they are only a few miles from him, much closer than Drew's, hell, Drew's is 40 miles from me, I know for a fact they do good work, I just couldn't believe he told me that he never puts those lower cooling parts on any engines & has never had any complaints, but most of those guys drive buggies in mud, thru creeks, hell I drove mine thru a shallow river in southern Kentucky, I was last in line, so I get all the snakes flying all over my wife & I, if your driving like that, it can run cooler, but not on the street, he found out when he called Larry's, it was between last Friday & today

I'm a but bummed myself, my blood pressure has been up since Monday evening, I have has 3 hours sleep since Monday, that was an hour at a time, just checked my B/P an hour ago, 175/115, my doc is gonna shit if it stays that high, I have had to record it since last Friday as it was hi when I went to get my shots, but it is always hi that day, my wonderful wife whom I owe more than you can imagine can drop my B/P from the above number in less than 5 minutes just by massaging my head, she put me to sleep every night years ago when I was a real working man, she's my medication, I couldn't live without her, I hope someday soon you all get to meet her, she's fun & was the only woman allowed to go off roading back when I was into it

I'll get it taken care of, I'm gonna call Larry's tomorrow morning and ask about Denver, I just want him to make it right, plus I want you to get the core money back, I was hoping to do that this week as next week is kinda full for me
As I said, I'll call Larry's, then call Denver & give him the choice, he told me today he has only been working on VW's for 3 years & has built maybe 10 engines & only complaint was he put an 8 dowel flywheel on a 4 dowel crank & it somehow screwed up something, he was purty veg about it & didn't wanna answer any more questions about that engine

One way of another, I'll make it right, even if I hafta go about it the legal way, I'd rather not go that route, but if I have to, I will

Thanks Keith for getting back to me

Ron

RSS
Old May 16th, 2014, 06:15 AM   #283
DrHax
Forum Member

I'm going to inspect and take the tin off of my motor when I pull it out of the 68. Still so sorry to hear this crap happening to you. I pray everything resolves itself quickly and peacefully.

Sent from my Z665C using Tapatalk

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 10:01 AM   #284
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Well just got off the phone with the guy who supplied the engine, he's willing to make good on this deal, he ordered a new set of pistons/cylinders as well as a new set of heads
I should get them Thursday 5-22, then I'll put them on myself, if all is well I'll return the engine core & the heads & p/c's that he replaced

I'm just glad he was willing to make good on the deal, I talked to Larry of Larry's off road, he said Denver is always selling engine & told him those 2 cooling parts are a must have, so as long as he puts them on every engine he rebuilds from now on, I'd deal with him again

Thanks again Everyone & thanks Keith & Chris for getting me his information

I'll keep ya's all updated once I get the engine back together, probably won't be until next weekend, but I'm gonna do the work myself

Ron

RSS
Old May 21st, 2014, 10:11 PM   #285
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Well dadgumit, did get a tiny bit of sleep this morning, then had to see my kidney doc at 4:30 this afternoon, changed my blood pressure meds, but when he checked it, it was way lower than what my B/P cuff reads, also put me on something to help me sleep, took it at 8 PM, 5 hours later & I'm wide awake
Then my doc dropped a bombshell on me, he's retiring August 1st, this July 17th will be 14 years since my 1st visit, I do get to see him 1 more time, after all, I didn't wanna move to a warmer place just because I trusted him & didn't wanna look for another doc, I asked who I was gonna see, he assured me he had a special doctor to deal with my needs, my wife & I told him for the 1st 2 years I wasn't like "most" people, he finally agreed I'm not like 98% of all the patients he's dealt with during his 30+ years as a kidney specialist, I was a challenge at times, almost makes me feel good

So, if all goes well I should be getting parts sometime tomorrow, gonna be a long busy weekend, wife's work picnic Saturday afternoon at a small amusement park with kids rides, everything is 100% free except ice cream, church festival Friday thru Sunday, taking the girls there for a few hours, & hopefully by Monday my V-Rod will be running better than ever, possibly next Friday I'll make the 200 mile round trip to return the core engine & P/C & heads he replaced
I'll be sure n get lots of pics, if I can find a camera man maybe I can get a few videos, then I'll try to get one when I make that long drive

I think I'm just full of excitement right now, hope I'll be sleeping soon, but as I said, what works for most everyone else, doesn't seem to work for me, my doc assured me he would explain my situation to the doc he is gonna turn me over too, if I find things don't work out, I have absolutely nothing keeping me from relocating to a warmer climate besides my grand daughters, as they get older things may change

Well I'm off to try n get some sleep, let ya's know how things go tomorrow evening when the sun goes down

Ron

RSS
Old May 28th, 2014, 10:59 AM   #286
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Just thought I'd update how things are going with the engine

So last Thursday I got the new parts, heads, pistons & cylinders, when I was disassembling the engine, the 1st head nut I went to loosen, was already loose, I thought Denver just forgot to torque it down, then he called me last Friday to make sure I received the parts, as we talked he told me he was starting to get forgetful, I told him that we all get CRS (Can't Remember Shit) at times & that it gets tougher as we get older (he's gonna be 73 in Sept) you just need to recognize it & do what you can to over come it, hell I hafta double check everything I do, it's become a habit since the 1st VW engine I rebuilt
So after I pulled the head off you could see where that cylinder had been leaking compression once the engine got warm, below is a picture of the head, you can see the sooty spot on the corner, that was the head nut that was loose, turns out the stud was pulling out of the case, the dadgum thing was stripped, it has a 10mm stud & the case saver is around 1/2", I may fix it in the future by tapping it with a 14mm tap (1/2" tap drill) & take a 14mm bolt, cut the end off & drill it & tap it to take the 10mm stud, put thread locker in & hope it stays

I'm accepting suggestions if you have any

So I thought about J/B welding it, then I thought "nope" it would just pull back out, so what to do???
After much thought, I decided to check to see what the crankshaft end play was, it was 0.016", that's when I decided to just put the new parts on my engine, so that's where I'm at, today I decided to rest my legs & feet, tomorrow morning I'm gonna pull my old heads, P & C's off & replace them with the new ones

I'll get back to ya's in a day or two with an update

Ron

RSS
Old June 4th, 2014, 06:10 PM   #287
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

So, I just got home from my grandma's, today is her 101st birthday

The engine has 55 miles on it now & is running strong, I need to do some adjusting to the carb's, but I'll get to that tomorrow

It's been an up hill battle for me, but then again life has been a fight for almost as long as I can remember, either I step on my own foot so to speak, or everything has involved some kind of work, many years ago I knew nothing in life was gonna be easy, so I just learned to deal with it, example.... Saturday I put the engine in the car, connected everything & waited for Sunday to start it, it started right up, after letting it run for a while I decided to take my grand daughter to the pool in my car, it was 90 degrees, we packed everything & buckled ourselves in, I pushed in the clutch to put it in gear, hmmm, I think to myself something doesn't feel right, I let out the clutch & nothing happens, I open the door & what do I see sitting on the ground, the flipping clutch pressure plate & disc

Saturday afternoon before I even started working on it I thought to myself "don't forget the clutch" & what do I do, I forget it

Another self inflicted wound to chalk up with all the others, life goes on

Ron

RSS
Old June 5th, 2014, 08:08 AM   #288
V8Transporter
Forum Member

'Sort of reminds me of my brother-in-law and his forty-some-foot motorhome. He pulls out of their 'camping' spot early one morning. An hour or so down the road they stop for fuel and as he turns to pull in he notices the Jeep they tow, isn't behind them. Seems like it's still sitting back at their camp spot....
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #289
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

At least he left it at the camping spot rather than losing it somewhere along the road

Reminds me of a horse trailer that came off the truck pulling it, it ended up in the side of somebodies house

Ron

RSS
Old June 13th, 2014, 09:22 AM   #290
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

2 weeks & 200 miles later & everything is doing fine

Wednesday I was way out of my neighborhood, I was on the highway trying to drive the posted speed limit, I have a tough time doing that on the highway, as I was driving along with few other cars on the road with my had phones on listening to music when I notice a BMW coming up behind me getting ready to pass, I was expecting the car to go by on my left side & it doesn't, so I look over my shoulder & see the passenger holding their phone up taking a video, I smile, throw up the peace sign & continue along for what seemed like 2 miles, they finally passed me by, I get back into Hamilton County (still 20 miles away from home, but at least I'm home so to speak) & start keeping up with the rest of traffic, it runs so good, I now realize how much power my engine lacked

Bought he time I get home the odometer says I have just under 200 miles on it, I could hear the typewriter sound, so yesterday morning I go out & check the valves, they were a bit tight, so I adjust them & check the oil, it hasn't left any dribble marks under it which is a good thing, when my wife got home I told her to look under my car & tell me what was missing, after a few minutes she finally asked what was missing, I had to tell her there isn't any oil leaking, so it's as good as new

When I was driving it I noticed the ass end was acting funny when I hit a bump, at first I thought a torsion bar may have broke, turns out the dadgum shock had broke, so I pulled the drop plates off in order to put a stock set of shocks on as I don't have any "sets" of coil over shock left & none that are the same size, the pot holes ruined them all, it most likely had to do with it being lowered, but I'll work on that now that the engine is fixed, I just need to fabricate an oil filter mount so I can put it back on this weekend, I don't wanna take any chances now that it's fixed
I hope to take a trip up north week after next to take back an engine core & give the guy who built it one of the copies of the "How to Keep Your VW Alive for The Complete Idiot" I hope he doesn't take it as an insult, he needs to know exactly how to do it, I was skimming thru it the day before assembling my engine to refresh my memory on the head torquing sequence, it mentions the air deflectors in big bold letters, it says something like - "Do not forget these, if you do your engine will not last long" I'd hate for this to happen to anyone else, so since I have one copy that is well used I thought I'd pass it on to someone else

This weekend I plan work on the rear suspension, I'm gonna fix the camber by cutting the lower shock mounts off the trailing arms, flipping them & make new ones that allow me to use the air shock, I had to take them off do to the lack of travel after I made drop plates to lower it around 3 to 4 inches, I'm gonna add about 2 to 3 inches to the bottom shock mounts, it road so much better with them, I wanna get it fixed, I had 2 sets of coil over shock, now I only have 1 good shock left, between the terrible streets & lack of travel they broke, one set was purty old, but I wanna get it fixed the right way, I have 10 days do do it before I need a car, I also wanna weld in a panel on the passengers side to fix the rear body mount in the wheel well, the rough roads brought out the weak spots, I have a repair panel, so I may as well put it in since I'll have the welder out

Until then, y'all have a great time

Ron

RSS
Old June 14th, 2014, 08:07 PM   #291
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Old June 21st, 2014, 05:59 AM   #292
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

So yesterday I finally welded in the right rear wheel well body mount panel, still need to dress it up as my welder was acting up, I'm purty sure it's from sitting for so long & the wire got a thin coat of rust on it, nothing a grinder can't take care of
Then I put the air shocks back on, yes I had to raise the rear end back up, I don;'t care for the look, but once I get my trailing arms swapped & make the lower shock mounts longer I can drop it back down

I drove it yesterday evening & tried to hit every pot hole & rough patch of road I could find, it rides almost as good as I remember my Eldorado riding, no bone jarring bumps, I believe that is why my back, neck & head have been feeling so bad for the last few weeks

I hope my next update is after I get it lowered again

Ron

RSS
Old June 21st, 2014, 12:48 PM   #293
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Here are a few pics of my bugger welded panel, I still need to do a bit of welding on the inside of the car, but it will need to wait until next weekend as Monday is Vampire's office day, Wednesday the 25th is my kidney doctors appointment, it will be the last time I see him as my doctor, he is retiring August 1st

Ok, now for the pics

Before

After I welded in the panel which I had to trim to fit

After I put some primer on

I can't believe how much smoother it rides, after welding in that rear body mount panel it doesn't make lots of squeaky noises from the sheet metal moving around
Next is to start fab'n up new lower shock mounts & flipping the trailing arms so I can drop it back down, I also plan to notch the spring plates & part of the trailing arms, in the 1st pic you can see where they hit the upper spring plate stops, I knew I was gonna need to rework them sooner or later, hell I may even be able to buy eggs at the store & make it home without becoming scrambled eggs, good thing I have a few sets of rear trailing arms & spring plates, that way I won't be without a car

Ron

RSS
Old June 21st, 2014, 07:07 PM   #294
OKpig
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Cool project Sir....... Killer following along with your build...Love the info....

On another note I was raised 30 miles north from you and understand the road issues. I joined the military back in 77 and left the area.... Retired I OKLAHOMA.

Keep plugging along......... Be safe.
OK Pig.
OKpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:34 PM   #295
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Why thank ya OKPig

I'm headed outside after I finish typing this out

I'm gonna finish welding the rear wheel well panel on the inside, then I'm gonna dig out my other set of trailing arms & spring plates, mount them on my extra torsion housing I use as a jig, use an old set of stock VW shocks so I can make new lower shock mounts so the don't ruin the shocks do to lack of travel, once I'm happy with everything I'll finish weld them up, notch the spring plates & trailing arms as well as make another set of drop plates, I may make the drop plate so it's lowered about another inch or two

It's been hell seeing out the inside rear view mirror as all I can see is the sky, plus the jugs I drink my ice tea out of keep wanting to fall forward from between my legs, it's also very uncomfortable sitting up so much higher, I'll take pictures as I go along, bout the only thing I'm worried about is fab'n the lower shock mounts, I'll most likely over build them, I'd hate to do a quick job of it only to have them break, I do have a set of trailing arms from a Baja that have been beefed up, I may see if they will work out before fab'n them up from scratch, I'll find out sometime between today & next weekend, this will be a short work week, as I mentioned this week will be full, Monday, Wednesday, & Friday I have a few things that will take up my time, then next weekend my social planner has a bunch of stuff she wants me to do, but that just means I can take my time & do it the right way

Oh yeah, yesterday I was at the pool with my grand daughters, I always bring my camera when I'm with them, I had my oldest take a video while I was driving home, you can't see much except for the sky, but you can hear it as I was driving, it's short because the memory card didn't have much space, next time I'll make sure it's empty before taking a video

BTW, I grew up 5 house down to the left at the very beginning of the video

Ron

RSS
Old June 23rd, 2014, 11:01 AM   #296
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Cute video and a very pretty area. The engine sounds really good!
Old June 27th, 2014, 07:42 AM   #297
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

What a week it's been, I'll explain below

Well, Wednesday was the last time I see my Nephrologist (aka kidney doctor), I have been seeing him for 14 years now, he has taken fantastic care of me since my 1st visit with him.
The first thing I do at the doctor is to get on the scale, I empty all my pockets of keys, my knife, my phone & anything else that would add weight, so I get on the scale, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, it says I weigh 183 pounds, I gained 20 lbs in just 4 weeks, I was so happy

So yesterday I started my upper body work outs again, push ups, pull ups, & a few repetitions with 25 lbs of bar bells, I need to turn this weight into muscle so I don't need help when lifting 50 lbs, if I'm lucky, I can get back at least half of the muscle I lost over the last 14 years, my arms look like toothpicks compared to what they looked like 15 years ago

Now the best part, my wife & I were walking out of the hospital towards the parking garage, she decided to walk in the gift shop, I kept on walking towards the parking garage so she didn't hafta wait for me, yes I'm slow & she is always waiting for me, she caught up to me just as the elevator door opend, she handed me a bag & told me she got me a surprise, I opened the bag & pull out a small fuzzy pill looking thing, the take says it's a "Happy Pill", I'm not gonna tell ya's about it, I'm gonna paste a link of it so y'all can see it, I hope I don't wear it out, I haven't stopped using it since Wednesday evening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxsG...ature=youtu.be

Ron

RSS
Old June 27th, 2014, 09:21 AM   #298
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

Good you're feeling better Ron! But I have to say, that happy pill is annoying as hell!!!!!
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #299
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I should start feeling much more energetic soon, today I started iron infusions, it's been at least 3 years since I have had to get them, but it was so low on June 25th that my doc set me up for them, it's 1 day a week for only 3 weeks this time, it was 6 weeks the last time I had them, takes about an hour for the iron enriched blood to go in thru an I V

Hell when I got home I felt so good I decided to chop the top on my car, it could look better, but what do you expect to happen in 20 minutes

A few printed pictures of my car, a pair of scissors & some clear tape helped pass the time by while waiting for my iron to enter my body, which BTW tells me no, but my mind keeps wanting more

Decided I'm gonna weld up all the bads pots & a few holes in front of the doors, repaint the blue to black fire/flames using a bit lighter blue on the very front, going darker as it gets closer to the doors & windshield, then cover it in fire, this time I'm gonna have the ends of the flame tips really light blue with some white & or yellow mixed in so they stand out just a bit better, hafta see how it turns out, can always change it if'n I don't like, then if I have time I'll have the rest repainted black from the door hinges to the back
All this in 16 days counting today when I get up in a few hours
Today's plans are to get rid of the 16 tires I have had laying around the garage with no wheels, it's a PITA walking around once a week emptying the water out otherwise the mosquitoes get terrible, taking them to my friend that has a giant shear, I could be wrong, but I believe it will cut a 4 inch diameter solid steel bar in half with no problem, I'll find out tomorrow, gonna cut the tires into 4 pieces each, then set them out for the trash over the next few weeks
Kinda makes me say WTF, they won't take a tire, but they will take the same thing cut into smaller pieces, either way it will take many years for them to decay, unless they have someone walk around & pick out all the recyclable materials when they dump the trucks (saw a thing about that on Dirty Jobs the other day
Once the tires are gone all I have left is a bunch of pressure treated wood, I have a place to drop that off free of charge
& hopefully my backyard will have lots more room, then it's time to clean out the garage, & just maybe I'll have it all in order by my 50th birthday

Ron

RSS
Old July 11th, 2014, 02:29 PM   #300
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

This afternoon I decided to weld the bumper brackets back on, then I bolted the bumper

Then I drug out a few pieces of sheet metal, sides from a washer or dryer, I'm gonna use them to straighten out the front fender wells, just not big enouh to cover the entire both sides in one piece, gotta got them out somehow, used the last wizz wheel I had left, just maybe I'll find the time this weekend

I'll need to cut a small piece for the very front near the head lights

Was a productive day

Ron

RSS