Total Online: 606

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Old February 16th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #101
vwhabit
Forum Member

Default Re: Dub-N-Aire is off the paper into the garage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugdust View Post
Cool to see you still have the chopped bug posted. Here it is twenty-plus years later and I still remember the backwards speedo.
Yikes! I din't think anyone on this site was old enough to even remember "Beginner's Luck" let alone the particulars of it! Anyways- it is still one of my favorites! I would love to find it. It went to Japan in the early '90's
Oh well, we all do stuff like that when we have kids and repsonsiblities!

Quote:
i think it would be better suited if you did it in metal as if the poster board gets wet it might fall off.
I wasn't going to use the poster board - your idea of metal was close...I was thinking tin foil!
Light, cheap and easy to work with!

My dreams that have become reality!
Dub-N-Aire - Rubber Chicken - Crew Cut - Yesterday's Dream - Beginner's Luck and many more!

Mark the "G" man
vwhabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #102
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Punk View Post
Damn fine work man!!!

And I'm diggin' the gay pride dresser off to the right.

Yeah Tim, you WOULD be diggin' in it, wouldn't you Buddy!

Sorry Man, I just HAD to!

Mark, You have TC, a guy (who used to be on here) which doesn't even know you, defending you & your idea over there on the Samba! He LOVES Ghias & he's not offended one bit by what you are doing!

Keep up the good work Bro!

Jack of all trades, Master of collecting projects.
(yeah the unfinished kind... )
"Bunny's Bug" Build thread
"The 66 Shorty" Build thread

Looking for "Buggy parts" for my Spatz Buggy (Budget build)...
66 Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 03:24 AM   #103
PureC4
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Ok, been following this now, and I can't begin to even think I could do the work that you have done here. My only question is why the do you have the fins angled out so much? I would have thought having them more upright would have kept them in the body line better. Maybe I'll see better once the bubble is on. Any way great work can't wait to see it finished.

We lust for what we want, and weep for what we need!
PureC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #104
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

boy, that was a blast over there. getting those ghia purist monkeys panties in a bunch. my day just got better
vwfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 06:55 AM   #105
V8Transporter
Forum Member

The fins angled out should stabilize tha Ghia at high speed, and up to about four thousand feet AGL. Doesn't everyone know that?
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #106
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Alright, i finally had to throw my penny an a half inot the Samba mix..

I think this ghia looks frigign awesome, I know you're not going to, but don't let them stop you creating this beauty!

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 08:08 AM   #107
Steve
Administradora El Polacko

Member Photo Albums

Why does TC keep saying over there that he's DYING to see the pictures and read about this car, but he "can't see it on the VolksRods site"???

All the numbnuts has to do is log in.

He left on his own because he got in a tiff with another member here... he was never banned or anything. His account is right where he left it, he just needs to LOG IN.

Next time someone sees him... tell him I said to stop being a Sally.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #108
57Drag
Forum Member

I was wondering the same thing?
57Drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #109
bigskizzy
Forum Member

funniest part about all those douche bags complaining is that my dad had the ghia on the samba for sale for a long time and no one bought it. so he said screw it and cut it up. so who is really to blame for there precious ghia not being saved :lol:
Old February 17th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #110
1slo3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

i thnk that is the point i tried to make skizzy...

and you'll notice not one purist addressed it.
1slo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #111
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Steve, I talk to TC fairly often... I'll tell him that his account is still there, he just has to log in. He told me he didn't have an account anymore... I still don't know what really made him leave though. I've asked him, but, He didn't give me a real answer.

ON TOPIC: I know I'll never get to see this car in person, but, the work that has gone into it so far is phenomenal! My hat is off to you on this project!

I love this site for the many reasons one is, everyone has skills in some way or another, & another is, that I haven't seen one person come in this thread & bash the work going on on this Ghia. I bet there might be someone on here that doesn't like it, but, they aren't coming in here bashing him for doing what he's doing! Only thing I would have to say that might be taken negative (but it's not really) is that I wouldn't be building a Ghia like that. But, that has alot to do with the fact that I don't have the skills to do it.

Besides, who can say what you want to do to YOUR CAR!??!?!

the Samba purists that could have "saved" this car. I think you are doing a GREAT job of saving this car!

Jack of all trades, Master of collecting projects.
(yeah the unfinished kind... )
"Bunny's Bug" Build thread
"The 66 Shorty" Build thread

Looking for "Buggy parts" for my Spatz Buggy (Budget build)...
66 Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #112
notched
Forum Member

Lookin' good Mark!! Well deserved CBOTM for sure! Can't wait to see this one in person.

Oh, and tell your brother he needs to give me a ride in the Morris!!!!

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
You will make a good wife, some day, John.
notched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #113
vwhabit
Forum Member

I am used to controversy about my cars. I built "Yesterday's Dream", a chop top bug to look like a split window - and had people raggin' on me before I drove it it's first mile! I also did "Crew Cut" a chop top double cab that was given to me (by a VW bus enthusiast) with the front sheet metal so pushed in it touched the front seat. You can imagine what the Bus guys did when I drove it around.....
I used 2 ghias to make this newest project. One, a 'vert, from a wrecking yard (got it before they crushed it) for $300. The other sitting in a field for $100. That should tell you the shape they were in. And yes, I did try to sell the 'vert on The Samba and Craigs List for $700 OBO and had not takers or offers. So like was said, I said "I'm moving on" and enjoy doing what I'm doing. If some people don't like it, fine. I personally do not have the money or the patience to restore a car (I tried with my first oval window, before I chopped the top on it - it was cheaper and easier than a restoration and have never looked back since - well, not true - I did restore an oval once and it is now driving around as a wrecked Cal Look ugh).
I have respect for those who do restorations.......but......I don't want a cookie cutter car. If that's what I wanted, why waste my time restoring a car? I'll just go buy a new one (they all look the same now-days). I have to be my own person - but that's just me.
Thanks for sticking up for me....and voicing your own opinions.
This whole thing reminds me why I love living in the land of the free!!!

Dub-N-Aire - Rubber Chicken - Crew Cut - Yesterday's Dream - Beginner's Luck and many more!

Mark the "G" man
Old February 21st, 2009, 06:37 AM   #114
jangleguy
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhabit View Post
I am used to controversy about my cars. I have to be my own person - but that's just me.
Mark was never one to toot his own horn. Allow me to share some insight on this unique character:

Born in 1948 (first year of Hebmuller production!) on the workbench of his father's small shop in Zossen (9 U.S. miles NE of Vandsburg), which he helped build from scratch, Mark Gosson (named for the Deutchmark - duh!) has led an amazing life. His father August and mother Ursula ran "Gossonwerks of Zossen" from 1927 until Marks birth, when the confusing business name finally bankrupted them and they were forced to leave Zossen. Fortunately, they had amassed a small fortune during Gossonwerks' tenure as the world's premier Hebmuller repair shop and invested wisely in three tickets to southern Oregon in America. The six week trip in the Swiss freighter Ammagawd was brutal and Ursula was tragically lost at sea during a particularly nasty winter storm.
Upon arrival in Oregon, August built a sturdy house of straw behind a state of the art 2-story shop (the locals called it a "sky scraper" and the name stuck). It was 1962 and Mark would begin his distinguished career in the whimsical world of VW's. August taught him well and the new "Gosson from Zossen" shop soon enjoyed widespread fame as North America's go-to Hebmuller restoration facility, despite the unfortunate business name. When August passed away at the wheel of his beloved New Beetle (twin turboed with three stages of nitrous) in 1970 at age 99, his last words were to Mark: Pass on the Hebmuller information to a deserving recipient and move on - then he hit sixth gear and was gone... After a world-wide search, Mark dumped - er, passed the Hebmuller torch to Mr. Robert Gilmore in 1972, who is still keeping the flame burning, right here in the U.S.!
Free of his restoration nightmare, Mark was finally able to persue his love affair with the creative process - using August's last remaining Hebmuller to build a "Pony Stock" to run the local dirt tracks, where he took the Championship in 1974!
In '75, he married Freida and began a new generation of Gossons - each would inherit Mark's passion and skills with all things VW and go on to write their own chapter in VW customizing history. Today, even mainstream rodders and customizers can quote verse from the VW exploits of Mark and his children, Skyguy (named for his Grandpa August's shop in Medford), Krystal, Jana, Bjorn, Ekhard, Manfred, Annika, Benjamin, Walter, Dierk, Olaf, Elsa, Heinz, Gunter, Heilwig and Jochim.
Together, the Gossons founded the Oregon Bug-In in 1976 and ran it every year until 2007 (how 'bout a Bug-In reunion, Mark?). Back in '76, they also started Trend Import Parts, quickly becoming the world's largest VW parts retailer. Life was very good for Mark, Freida and the kids. Then, in 2005, everything changed...
When Mark discovered the Volksrodders Forum, his life was changed forever in a profound way. The Oregon Bug-In rights were sold to a corporate conglomerate from China and quickly traded for tuna on the open market. Trend Import Parts saw the same fate and is now a boarded up building known around the valley for it's low quality but affordable Meth. The kids are grown and gone and Mark and Freida live a very simple life, based around the Volksrod site and their tiny one car garage, housing the Dub'n'Aire project.
They seem happy and that's enough for me - Mark's proud (but unskilled) brother.
So when you see a project update from Mark on here, consider his rich history and remember that he's building this car on whatever is left over from his meager Social Security check each month. This guy is the real stuff.
Now go... Go out to your shops and wrench like the wind! Thrash like there's no tomorrow! Tweak it up one side and down the other, then drive it like you stole it! Because, if Mark Gosson can do it - against all odds - then so can you, friends. So can y o u . . . . . . Do it.
jangleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 06:54 AM   #115
alykat
Site Supporter

Old February 21st, 2009, 07:09 AM   #116
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

wow! helluva backing! freakin cool first post to bro~ (should stuck your self in there too :)

but this~ "Mark discovered the Volksrodders Forum, his life was changed forever"
perfect, I love it ~
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 07:59 AM   #117
vwhabit
Forum Member

Awe bro - why'd ya have to tell my secrets?

Mark the "G" man
Old February 21st, 2009, 08:01 AM   #118
jangleguy
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemyth View Post
(should stuck your self in there too :)
Well, I was there, the night that Mark used a hammer and chisel to cut the split rear window out of that bug parked on the street. He needed it for the "Yesterdays Dream" car and the car in question was just sitting - hadn't been driven in days.
Anyway, that's about as close as I ever got to being involved with this stuff, other than bumbling my way with a low profile beater '66 Beetle: "Hello, Mark? Um yeah, it broke again... I'm only about 75 miles away, so you can bring some tools and stuff, right? And can you bring me a sandwich, too? Smoked turkey please and not that old stuff from the shop fridge - I need the fresh stuff. And make sure you use real mayonnaise, not that Miracle Whip [tm] stuff! And I'll need a coke, too - make mine a 7-Up!"
Yeah, he's a good guy...
Old February 21st, 2009, 08:03 AM   #119
jangleguy
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhabit View Post
Awe bro - why'd ya have to tell my secrets?
Because we're only as sick as our secrets - and I want you to be healthy, so you can get those braces off of your legs - oosp! Guess I did it again...
Old February 21st, 2009, 12:53 PM   #120
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Hey, beaucoup cool tribute. Can't wait to see the movie..you thinking George Clooney for the part, right? 'Der Bubble-toppen' is beyond cool and if there weren't folks out there doing projects like this, the world would be a truly boring place.
I'm guessing the braces are polished alloy, right?
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 03:14 PM   #121
Hapster
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

You forgot about all the NewAge influence in Oregon that is now causing him to channel George Barris and Ed Roth on alternate days.

You gotta love v-rodders. 40*, poor brakes, 1/4 suspension working, 3+ body colors...but I drove it dammit!

I totally feel at home here.

project pics
http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ster/?newest=1
Hapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #122
grumpy
Mr. Asshole Moderator

ideas for the font.

i took this pic prob 9 years ago.

Old February 25th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #123
Dbug41
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

you had me at chisel cut a split window out of a bug on the street
that freakin rocks!!!!
Old February 25th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #124
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

Germ, is that you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangleguy View Post
Born in 1948 (first year of Hebmuller production!) on the workbench of his father's small shop in Zossen (9 U.S. miles NE of Vandsburg), which he helped build from scratch, Mark Gosson (named for the Deutchmark - duh!) has led an amazing life. His father August and mother Ursula ran "Gossonwerks of Zossen" from 1927 until Marks birth, when the confusing business name finally bankrupted them and ...

... drive it like you stole it! Because, if Mark Gosson can do it - against all odds - then so can you, friends. So can y o u . . . . . . Do it.
Cool story Jangle'.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #125
notched
Forum Member

Dude, that was hilarious... Always fun when a writer gets to spread his wings a little...

Gosson Bros. in da haus!!! Yea-Yea!! Are there tshirts for sale somewhere??

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
You will make a good wife, some day, John.
notched is offline   Reply With Quote