Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Old June 22nd, 2010, 05:37 PM   #1
EVOlyn
Forum Member

Default She's ALIVE!
Re:: Evolyn   

Things came together tonight. I tested the electric fuel pump against the carb float and no leaks so...

Hooked up the temporary electrics and gave the engine a try. It started first try, but with a pronounced backfire so I shut it down and switched the crank sensor wires. Funny thing about that, not the ignition vendor or Harley Davidson could tell me which wire went where. The vendor said just hook it up and if it backfires switch'm. Anyway, after switching the wires it ran fine. Made some adjustments to the carb and got a good idle. Ran it through a few heat cycles and everything looks good, no leaks.

Hoping to get it ready for a test ride around the neighborhood this weekend. Plan on taking a video so I'll try to post it. Been a long road, feels GREAT to have it run!
Old June 22nd, 2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Timbo
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: She's ALIVE!

WOOHOO

Forget the plastic, Drive a classic.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 06:07 PM   #3
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
bugdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 06:52 PM   #4
drscope
Forum Member

Way to go Larry! Glad to see you are making progress!

Whats next on the "to do" list before she's done?

And how's your health holding up?
drscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 03:31 AM   #5
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

AWESOME!!!!!! I'll have to stop over some day after work and check it out.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 04:26 AM   #6
mkparker
Forum Member

That's awesome man!! I know it sure feels good to have one crank up after such a long time.

mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:42 AM   #7
Charlie Mosh
Forum Member

shhhwweeeeeeeeeeet!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
she's cute ... but she's still blond
Quote:
Originally Posted by max16v View Post
Ran like a raped ape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notched View Post
Pinstriping by the World-Famous Pepe Pistolas!!
"as i sit here broken hearted, tried to shit but only farted." R. Peek

Going Fenderless!
()o\_!_/o()
Charlie Mosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 02:24 PM   #8
EVOlyn
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drscope View Post
Way to go Larry! Glad to see you are making progress!

Whats next on the "to do" list before she's done?

And how's your health holding up?
Next it to try a short test drive around the neighborhood. I want to run it through a few heat cycles to see if the welds hold up on the headers also before I decide what I'm going to do with them. I may just apply high heat header paint for now, but I'd like to get them JetHot coated at some point.

Once I'm satisfied with the mechanicals, it is on to fabricating a fiberglass (probably composite) body. With a little luck I hope to accomplish that over the winter so next spring I'll have it ready for some real on road testing.

Health wise I'm kind of in a remission if you can have one when they don't know what's wrong with you. Still haven't heard back with the results of the biopsy. I put a call in to the doctor but had to leave a message and haven't heard back. So for now its kind of a waiting game.

Thanks to all of you for the good wishes! You all have help a lot with keeping me in the game.

larry
Old June 23rd, 2010, 02:29 PM   #9
AirheadZim
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

How long has it been since your biopsy? They must have had to send them off quite a ways away. At least you're feeling better and thats what matters.
Zim'rod (zim'-rod)n.- a handbuilt Volkswagen hotrod or jalopy, sometimes a pick-up, from several different years of the classic German automobile. In particular, 67', 69', 72', and 74' model years. Built from the realm of an insane mind, with a volksrod theme or style. Thank you bugdust.
Daily driver: 91' Cadillac Brougham.
AirheadZim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 04:58 PM   #10
EVOlyn
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadZim View Post
How long has it been since your biopsy? They must have had to send them off quite a ways away. At least you're feeling better and thats what matters.
The biopsy was at Johns Hopkins two weeks ago Monday. The doctor who did it said they did the first microscopic examination on Friday's and then if they found a muscle disease they would send it off for DNA testing. She said they would give my doctor the results sometime last week and then he should let me know. When I called yesterday, the secretary is out on vacation but I left a message for the secretary covering for her. So, nothing yet, probably call them again tomorrow although the doctor was really good about calling me before. Guess we'll see.

BIG news, tonight was the night! I took Evolyn out on the road tonight for a short spin. First it backfired and stalled just a few hundred feet down the road. Turned out the ground came off the battery. Reattached and it ran fine and it really has a lot of pickup, seriously, it jumped under throttle. The bad thing, it had serious clutch chatter when I tried to drive it up the driveway, so bad my wife said the rear tires were hopping. I finally backed it down and turned it around to back up the driveway. Now here is the weird thing, as the front end came over the curb into the driveway (unloading one front wheel) the unloaded wheel turned beyond the limit going basically perpendicular to the body. If you remember, I have a home built center steering setup and it looks like it will need some limiters so that doesn't happen again.

Except for the clutch chatter not a bad first test. If anyone has any ideas on the clutch chatter I'd be interested. It has a new flywheel, new Kennedy pressure plate and puck style clutch which I was told I'd need because of the torque.

Oh yea, my wife took a video so when I figure out how to get it off the camera and post it I will.

Last edited by EVOlyn; June 23rd, 2010 at 05:01 PM.
EVOlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:15 PM   #11
rostigbug
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I have seen some clutrch setups with a tiny shock absorber mounted on the throw out fork!
Old June 25th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #12
EVOlyn
Forum Member

here is a picture on the driveway and a very short video on the road

On the road

back home
Old June 25th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #13
Palepainter
Forum Member

Way cool!!! How does the power feel coming out of the hole?
Old June 26th, 2010, 04:18 AM   #14
strat62plyr
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Wow is right Evo That sounds so good. Great job
I bet it felt kind of strange driving just the chassis like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.
strat62plyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 04:42 AM   #15
ratrog64
Forum Member

Do you have a boden tube on the tranny cable?
ratrog64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 05:35 AM   #16
Mikelrome
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

The puck disk is used in race cars that need the clutch dumped at high rpms. I would change it out for a normal high preformance street disk.

Mikelrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #17
1965aaron
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelrome View Post
The puck disk is used in race cars that need the clutch dumped at high rpms. I would change it out for a normal high preformance street disk.
X2

the puck style gives a really chunky ride. great for dumping the clutch, but normal driving is like driving with someone who just learned to drive clutch yesterday.

switch it for a stage1 or stage 2 pad.
Old June 26th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #18
AirheadZim
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Wow what a sweet little car. SOunds great!!!
Zim'rod (zim'-rod)n.- a handbuilt Volkswagen hotrod or jalopy, sometimes a pick-up, from several different years of the classic German automobile. In particular, 67', 69', 72', and 74' model years. Built from the realm of an insane mind, with a volksrod theme or style. Thank you bugdust.
Old June 27th, 2010, 08:08 AM   #19
Mr.Cobble
Forum Member

Friggin' awesome Larry!!! I've been watchin' yer build for what...2 years now?!! Extremely cool to see it go...sounds great too. Did you say you were going to build a different body for it? What do you have in mind?
Mr.Cobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #20
EVOlyn
Forum Member

Glad everyone like her. I also finally remembered the Bowden tube issue, actually did a search on it here. Anyway, it did have some sag, but I wasn't sure it was enough. I made a bracket to capture the frame end since when I installed the new cable tube I didn't weld it at the back. Anyway, got it all hooked up and then added to washers as spacers on the trans end and it works good now. I was able to drive it right up the driveway this time. Besides the Bowden Tube, I readjusted the front end and reconnected the upper torsion bar. It sits level now so it was easier to clear the curb.

Drove it a little longer this time and on a longer section of the road got it into third gear. The engine seems to get extremely hot, but I keep reminding myself it is air cooled so it may be normal.

Talked to a local fiberglass shop about resin compatibility with the blue and pink foam and he said the best test is to put some acetone on the foam and see if it dissolves. The first ingredients in my wife's nail polish remover was acetone so I used that and neither dissolved. I wasn't completely convinced so I went out to the local hardware store and bout a pint of acetone and you guessed it, both dissolved. May have to go to epoxy although it is more expensive and I've heard more difficult to use.

As far as the body goes I want a roadster possible convertible top or removable hardtop. Probably something along the lines of a 30's hiboy but obviously without a front grill.
Old June 27th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #21
Timbo
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOlyn View Post
Glad everyone like her. I also finally remembered the Bowden tube issue, actually did a search on it here. Anyway, it did have some sag, but I wasn't sure it was enough. I made a bracket to capture the frame end since when I installed the new cable tube I didn't weld it at the back. Anyway, got it all hooked up and then added to washers as spacers on the trans end and it works good now. I was able to drive it right up the driveway this time. Besides the Bowden Tube, I readjusted the front end and reconnected the upper torsion bar. It sits level now so it was easier to clear the curb.

Drove it a little longer this time and on a longer section of the road got it into third gear. The engine seems to get extremely hot, but I keep reminding myself it is air cooled so it may be normal.

Talked to a local fiberglass shop about resin compatibility with the blue and pink foam and he said the best test is to put some acetone on the foam and see if it dissolves. The first ingredients in my wife's nail polish remover was acetone so I used that and neither dissolved. I wasn't completely convinced so I went out to the local hardware store and bout a pint of acetone and you guessed it, both dissolved. May have to go to epoxy although it is more expensive and I've heard more difficult to use.

As far as the body goes I want a roadster possible convertible top or removable hardtop. Probably something along the lines of a 30's hiboy but obviously without a front grill.
I would put some kind of duct work to direct air to the engine or maybe a fan. Motorcycle engines are mounted to where they catch a lot of air to cool them. It may run a little warm in the rear not getting as much air across the heads and cylinders.
Tim

Forget the plastic, Drive a classic.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #22
EVOlyn
Forum Member

I hear you Timbo. The trike that uses the adapter I bought uses a fan and I intend to do something along those lines. I actually thought as a gokart, it probably got more air across the cylinders since they sit sideways but again realize this won't be the case with a body. There is a recessed, threaded hole on one of the cylinder heads and I'm hoping I can get a thermoswitch that would fit it and operate the fan.

I had a friend of mine who drive Harley's tell me the rear cyliner on the motorcycle runs hotter and he thought they were setup to run richer on the rear cylinder although I can't see how they could do that with a single carb.
Old June 27th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #23
AirheadZim
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Mesa-cool kit with fan and thermostat would work great. Postiion mounting so the fan blows through the cooling fins of that, for the engine oil, to the cooling fins of the motor. My 2 cents.
Old June 27th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #24
Mr.Cobble
Forum Member

First and foremost, a properly jetted and tuned carb will make a ton of difference in engine temps on that V-twin...I would check with the trike guys on how they set the carb up to run on a heavier machine with "aftermarket" pipes ...
I third the fan idea...I would keep air pushing over those cylinders all the time like a AC VW does, maybe fabbing a shroud into your body or adding tins...if it will be closed up in an engine compartment...
I would definately mount an oil cooler, like the Mesa Cool kit or Deep Sink, into the "radiator" of the body where it can see max air flow away from the engine...the thermostat kicking that fan on at about 190 degrees. If you can budget it, I would also run a Baker +1 (quart) oil pan. The added amount of oil running in the lines/cooler to the front of the car + a deeper oil pan + running full synthetic oil would increase oil volume and drop temps a good 40-50 degrees and keep you from cooking the engine in traffic...
...now yer up to $.04
Mr.Cobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #25
V8SuperBeetle
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I've been watching you build as well and it's good to see it on the road. Looks and sounds great.

"If it ain't one thing, it's another".

- Wilson "Billy" Chevalier
V8SuperBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote