Total Online: 204

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by Bugula
- by Ozrod

Old October 22nd, 2016, 02:31 PM   #826
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums
Default Re: The PET THREAD...

Took Mia to the vet today. Doctor says she's looking good! When she came to the shelter she was VERY sick and only weighed 5 pounds 11 oz. She's up to a healthy 9 pounds today! She came home 4 weeks ago yesterday! Her muscles are doing much better since she was in a cage for several months, sick and with kittens. She's running all over the house, up and down the stairs, attacking her toy mice and scratching post and finding all the cozy spots. She's awesome!!!

Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 09:16 AM   #827
V8Transporter
Forum Member

I love happy endings...and beginnings.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2016, 08:58 AM   #828
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Mia is doing much better. She's on meds for a little lung congestion but doing very well. Here she is being spoiled by my wife. Mia would simply consider this physical therapy.
https://youtu.be/LrkmU02VT4c

Jeff
Old November 15th, 2016, 07:01 AM   #829
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I watched a few of those videos of Mia, she sure does look like she's having fun, I don't think you've spoiled her enough, what you really need to do in order to spoil her is hire a full time chef to whip up 3 meals a day & plenty of snacks as well, now this chef is for Mia only, ya'll hafta fix your own meals

It's that time of year, Bubbaz was wanting in a few nights ago, the temp dipped into the mid 30's & I'm guessing she decided it was a bit too cold for her, all summer long we couldn't even carry her into the house, well we could, but she'd run right to the door scratching away at the glass to get back out, if I'd pick her up & walk anywhere near the door she'd do everything possible to get out of my arms, I woke up this morning & she was laying right up against my side

I think she's around 10 years old, she doesn't play much any more, we have a piece of string with one end balled up & she'd get all worked up chasing & playing with it up until 2 years ago, now she just lays on her back & waits for you to swing it right over her before she tries to get it, I can see it in her eye's, if she could talk she'd be saying "Hell No, I ain't chasing that damn thing around anymore, I'm too old for that shit, keep it close to me"

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 09:29 AM   #830
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Old November 17th, 2016, 08:52 PM   #831
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post
I watched a few of those videos of Mia, she sure does look like she's having fun, I don't think you've spoiled her enough, what you really need to do in order to spoil her is hire a full time chef to whip up 3 meals a day & plenty of snacks as well, now this chef is for Mia only, ya'll hafta fix your own meals

It's that time of year, Bubbaz was wanting in a few nights ago, the temp dipped into the mid 30's & I'm guessing she decided it was a bit too cold for her, all summer long we couldn't even carry her into the house, well we could, but she'd run right to the door scratching away at the glass to get back out, if I'd pick her up & walk anywhere near the door she'd do everything possible to get out of my arms, I woke up this morning & she was laying right up against my side

I think she's around 10 years old, she doesn't play much any more, we have a piece of string with one end balled up & she'd get all worked up chasing & playing with it up until 2 years ago, now she just lays on her back & waits for you to swing it right over her before she tries to get it, I can see it in her eye's, if she could talk she'd be saying "Hell No, I ain't chasing that damn thing around anymore, I'm too old for that shit, keep it close to me"

Ron
My wife loved the last line!
Jeff
P.S. For services rendered...
Old November 23rd, 2016, 11:21 AM   #832
alykat
Site Supporter

Keep in mind, dogs have friends and masters, cats have staff.
Old November 24th, 2016, 05:14 AM   #833
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiI View Post
My wife loved the last line!
Jeff
P.S. For services rendered...

I'll hafta see if I can get a pic of her now that her winter coat is on
I don't mind her laying next to me, but I so don't like when she decides to sleep on me, I wake up thinking she pissed all over me, that big ball of fur sure warms things up

Ron

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; November 24th, 2016 at 05:20 AM.
Old November 24th, 2016, 09:14 AM   #834
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Mia is sick.
Yesterday she was pretty much living in her litterbox and only peeing almond size clumps. We took her to the vet and she has an inflamed bladder. We have her on meds but they take over 2 weeks to go through. We lost our other girl, Samantha, to kidney disease, and it's bringing back a lot of painful memories.
We were up with her until 5am this morning. If you know me, I don't sleep much/ find it hard to go to sleep. I don't remember even going to bed. Got up at 10 and we went to check on her. Maybe 1% better but she still looks in pain. She doesn't get pain meds until 6:30 tonight. She had her soft food with liquid meds on it and she's playing a little, but we can see its a minor distraction. Then again, we don't want her playing too hard or she may throw up her food and meds. She's kind of like a 5 year old at a birthday party: eat too much cake, get on the tilt a whirl, then throw up from too much excitement.
We are so exhausted. Mia has required a lot of medication in the nearly 9 weeks we have had her; she's had a very hard life of 23 months and we just want her better. It's bringing bad flashbacks of losing Samantha and what we went through with our other kitten, Ginny, who we did finally have to take her to a farm. (She had a feral side that wasn't about to go away.) We said we wouldn't give up on Mia, but we are very scared at what her future brings.
Jeff
https://i.redd.it/dp0rfr8ghbzx.jpg

Last edited by JiI; November 24th, 2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old November 24th, 2016, 03:21 PM   #835
V8Transporter
Forum Member

"Kitty getting better mojo" from our little kitty family of Tigger, Smokey & Ginger!
Old November 25th, 2016, 12:47 PM   #836
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Thanks guys. She seems to be doing better. We let her out of the basement and she slept on mom's legs for 45 minutes, went down to eat, use the litter box (whew!) and no is back in the cozy chair on the fluffy blanket, sound asleep. She's probably exhausted. She was crying early this morning so I went to the basement and she snuggled on my lap on the steps for 20 minutes, drooling and purring. She really is a good little girl.
Jeff
Old November 25th, 2016, 02:13 PM   #837
V8Transporter
Forum Member

YESSS!
Old November 27th, 2016, 06:12 AM   #838
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Glad to hear she's doing much better

Ron

RSS
Old November 27th, 2016, 10:34 AM   #839
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Thanks. It's just nerve wracking, knowing her history and all that she has been through. I actually slept a bit last night!
Jeff
Old November 30th, 2016, 02:33 PM   #840
alykat
Site Supporter

Absolutely understand how you feel. Some asshole woman dumped 9 feral cats at the family ranch and I have been feeding and trying to get them accustomed to me. Made a spot for them in a small shed near the house where they can be out of the weather and safe from coyotes. Finally the smallest skinniest one has allowed pets and being picked up, then she got sick. Managed to get her in the car and to the vet twice, and now she is doing pretty well. Now I'm losing sleep worrying about finding her a nice loving home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jesse Kat 11616 001.jpg (79.3 KB, 14 views)
Old December 1st, 2016, 03:40 AM   #841
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Ya know back in 2004 the county bought 6 houses at the end of my street, tore them down & built a storm water retention pond do to flooding issues we had, every time it rained really hard, like an inch an hour but only rained for 20 to 30 minutes, they called it a "Hundred Year Rain" after having 3 of them in less than 4 months 1 year, & 10 of them in less than 9 years, they finally did something about it, me being the last house on the street with the pond next to me don't get an water in our basement any more, before that we would get 12 to 18 inches of water, the first few hundred gallons were from the sewage pipes, the houses down the street got more the farther down you lived

Anyway, 3 of the people who's houses were bought moved out & left their cats behind, there were 7 of them all together, the few that weren't fixed reproduced a few kittens, a few neighbors & I did our best to feed them, we tried to catch them to have them fixed, of the 2 that one neighbor did catch the vet did it for free after explaining what happened, to this day it still just aggravates the hell out of me that they did it, they could have asked any of us if we wanted them, or if we knew anyone that would take them in, instead they just left them like it was a piece of trash
Over the last 12 years since then I have only seen 3 of the neighbors that had to move, they weren't the ones that had any pets
A few days ago when I was cleaning up around my other VW Bug project I found the skeletal remains of one of those cats, I couldn't tell which one it was because the bones were completely clean
It's probably best I haven't crossed paths with them because I would have given them a piece of my mind in an unfriendly way, 2 of them would have wanted to get physical over it, up until about 8 years ago I would have welcomed that, but now I'd have a tough time fighting my way out of a wet paper bag
It sickens me how people get pets when their little & cute, then they grow up & they get rid of them like used furniture dumped in an empty lot someplace, but, I get satisfaction knowing they'll get theirs on Judgement Day

Ron

RSS
Old December 1st, 2016, 09:31 AM   #842
V8Transporter
Forum Member

I know what you mean. I care for three feral cats, the last of six abandoned by an asshole neighbor. I trapped and took them in for shots and to be neutered. The younger kittens were adopted by other neighbors. We live in a wooded area and there used to be a problem with rats. Tigger, the dad, Smokey, the mom, and Ginger, from an earlier litter have taken care of that. We feed them twice a day and after about three years Tigger and Ginger love pets and scratches. Smokey, not yet. When I go out to get the morning paper, Ginger follows me. The little family hangs out on my shop roof, the roof of my Single Cab , in the side car, and sleep on a blanket under the shop.
Old December 1st, 2016, 02:24 PM   #843
alykat
Site Supporter

Two of the bunch that I started with became comfortable enough with me that I was able to take them in for spay and neuter and their shots, and also found great new homes for them. Jesse has also been spayed and had her shots and now is doing well enough to go to a new home, hopefully by Christmas. One more is at the OK to pet but don't pick me up stage, so hopefully soon she will also be off to see Dr Norm. It also depends on when I can sell some stuff as the operation and shots cost $150 or $180 depending on male or female. I have been able to get certificates from a local small animal rescue that pay $50 per animal, but none of the rescues have room for any more cats. Guess we will continue to do one at a time until they all have good homes.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 07:24 AM   #844
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

These cats must have been smart, only 1 of them got trapped & only 1 other would let you get close enough to even touch it, the kittens however didn't know any better, but they were the ones that were the easiest to get rid of, eventually the older ones started disappearing

Ron

RSS
Old December 2nd, 2016, 06:45 PM   #845
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post
Ya know back in 2004 the county bought 6 houses at the end of my street, tore them down & built a storm water retention pond do to flooding issues we had, every time it rained really hard, like an inch an hour but only rained for 20 to 30 minutes, they called it a "Hundred Year Rain" after having 3 of them in less than 4 months 1 year, & 10 of them in less than 9 years, they finally did something about it, me being the last house on the street with the pond next to me don't get an water in our basement any more, before that we would get 12 to 18 inches of water, the first few hundred gallons were from the sewage pipes, the houses down the street got more the farther down you lived

Anyway, 3 of the people who's houses were bought moved out & left their cats behind, there were 7 of them all together, the few that weren't fixed reproduced a few kittens, a few neighbors & I did our best to feed them, we tried to catch them to have them fixed, of the 2 that one neighbor did catch the vet did it for free after explaining what happened, to this day it still just aggravates the hell out of me that they did it, they could have asked any of us if we wanted them, or if we knew anyone that would take them in, instead they just left them like it was a piece of trash
Over the last 12 years since then I have only seen 3 of the neighbors that had to move, they weren't the ones that had any pets
A few days ago when I was cleaning up around my other VW Bug project I found the skeletal remains of one of those cats, I couldn't tell which one it was because the bones were completely clean
It's probably best I haven't crossed paths with them because I would have given them a piece of my mind in an unfriendly way, 2 of them would have wanted to get physical over it, up until about 8 years ago I would have welcomed that, but now I'd have a tough time fighting my way out of a wet paper bag
It sickens me how people get pets when their little & cute, then they grow up & they get rid of them like used furniture dumped in an empty lot someplace, but, I get satisfaction knowing they'll get theirs on Judgement Day

Ron

There are a lot of assholes in the world Ron. Yeah, cats can survive in the wild but they can also get very sick. Mia had every parasite known, upper resp. infection, conjunctivitis and was flesh and bones (5 lbs) and STILL took care of her 6 kittens when they brought her to the shelter. She's all fixed up now but still has a wheeze in her nose and just got over a UTI (we hope!). She's up to a "fluffy" 9+ pounds. When the vet asked what breed she was, I said, "Adorable."
Jeff
Old December 16th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #846
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Mia turned 2 on the 14th and she's doing great! We just got back from Tucson for a week and grandma stayed over and took care of her. She's trying to figure out what a Christmas tree is now.
Jeff
Old December 18th, 2016, 03:09 AM   #847
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Genia found a bunch of old paperwork... turns out our cat (my cat really, he's become super attached to me since we started living together..) just turned 14, our older dog is 12, and the younger dog is 5..

This whole time I've been thinking the cat was like 17 or 18 so every day I wonder if he's gonna go to sleep and not wake up.. but now I know he should have at least another 3 or 4 years in him :D

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 07:28 AM   #848
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Our two cats, Dash and Curious, brothers adopted from the same litter, lived to 21 and 20 years respectively. In the process they helped raise our dogs. A friend has a 24 year old feline friend.
Old December 18th, 2016, 07:31 AM   #849
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Currently we have the three feral cats, who are snuggled up together in the blanket stuffed kitty house I put together last week. Apparently they like it more than the blanket under my shop.
Old December 20th, 2016, 10:48 AM   #850
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Temps for the last few nights have been high twenties...yeah, downright balmy for a lot of you guys. Sherrie dug out a 'pet' heating pad we'd used for Triumph, our old gold dog. It now resides, plugged in all the time, up in the 'Kitty house' where Tigger, Smokey and Ginger have now moved in. This morning as the temp soared into the mid-30's I'd fed them; then a while later looking out my shop window saw all three back in the K H and watching me through the opening.

Tags
animals, cats, dogs, fish, pet, pet thread, pets, snakes