Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,399
Total Online: 579

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by Ozrod
- by DrHax

Old September 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #1
i_am_cool_fred
Forum Member

Default "tha veg" and his 58 panel

here's where i'm at up to this point:

It's a 1958 Panel that was a victim of the 70's with shag carpet being added, a porcelin sink/urinal thing, paneling, and windows cut into the panels. each window is a different size too.
no name has been decided yet, but the intentions are good you'll see that image at the bottom. we shall have a naming ceremony soon in the waiting room on this wonderful site with a poll of names to decide upon and new suggestions too.
here's the dirty pics the friend i am buying this thing from took at his place:
Rootbeer brown on top of original dove blue paint

original glass tail lamps, and the correct lid will be going with it as well

bitchin' brown bench seat

shag on floors and walls, and porcelin sink/urinal thing and bed in couch mode:

another urinal shot:

the worse part of the bus is the lower left dog leg and left door, everything else appears to be somewhat solid

except this rocker:

there are no visible holes on the inside of this cheesy repair so hopefully it's not bad:

look at that pretty dove blue paint on the inside:

urinal and bed in bed mode:

split case tranny:

more shag pics:

perfect freshair vent:

decent floors:

somewhat solid nose:
i_am_cool_fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #2
i_am_cool_fred
Forum Member

Default Re: "tha veg" and his 58 panel

and the goal:

bice looking bumpers, full rack, safari's full bed on the inside, 1641sp with a engle 110 cam, tucked exhaust and a whopping 34 pict carb
industrial look all the way color will be a satin finished blue that is as close to dove blue as i can get with the above logo on the side, interior plans are bamboo lower half, some sort of vinyl upper half with thatch for the headliner.
got a friend lined up to get the windows filled back when i first bring it home, then go from there with motor body etc.
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #3
i_am_cool_fred
Forum Member

got up this morning at 7:30, busted ass till about 1, gutting the bitch, coating it's inside with bleach, removing all the rats nests, rats ****, rat carcasses (really didn't see any of those, just what i thought was a tail or two) the bus is sooo fresh and so clean and clean. :laughing: i actually don't think i'll get cancer by sitting in it anymore.
clean Fred:

evidently you have to be this long to ride:

bitchin' top access for the engine compartment:

evidently this bad boy had a stove in it at one time and was fiberglassed over to fix it before it's metallic rootbeer brown paint

almost perfect battery trays:

clean engine compartment now, free of rats nests and poo:

are these VWOA??? anyone?:

pulled the single port motor out of the 66 friday night, started tearing it down saturday but a deal has been struck for a good short block and brand new 87mm jugs so this bus shall go on the counter top for a future baja that jason(grumpy) is gonna build

yay, the trash piles, no more sink/urinal, no more bitchin' 70's shag, no more blue stained wood fold out bed with pipe legs:

Old September 9th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #4
i_am_cool_fred
Forum Member

Brand new Single Port Heads, pict31 carb, body to engine seal, throttle cable, carb gasket set (so i can tear down the new carb and make sure all is well) more parts will be in tomorrow, depending on what goes on this weekend i may have an almost new motor by sunday :D, then it's a matter of doign the rear end swap, beam swap and brakes, then fred is driving :D

Old September 9th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #5
i_am_cool_fred
Forum Member

motor is almost built, here's some glaumour shots:

went to put the fan on, it was rubbing so i had to take it off, only part of the damn thing stayed on so now i have to buy a new fan, oh well, could of happened while driving down the road isntead of in the garage:

also got some rust free, non holy, nearly dent free doors for the bus too
old door:

new door:

in two weeks i pick up my two matching crows feet for the bus and hopefully will have the donor transmission home and start putting it in as well, we shall see
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #6
i_am_cool_fred
Forum Member

there's where i sit for now, i need to get a helicoil put in for an oil pump stud. and i have changed direction slightly, some of the hillbilly meeters know what direction that is, and will hopefully keep ti seceret, i want this to be an unveiling deal when i get it done, no this is what i'm doing and people tell me al lthe reasons i shouldn't

trust me it'll be bitchin' i'll update as i can.
Old September 12th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #7
i_am_cool_fred
Forum Member

just got the transmission out, after drilling, banging, tapping, prying it's out. now this afternoon i soak the compartment and tranny hanger with easy off and pressure wash it clean.

here's the pics:

i love having a heavy duty wagon:

and what i said is top secret...well, i cant keep a secret, here's what the voodoo lounge is getting thanks to waldo:

nothing like 15x3.5" centerline looking rims up front and 15x6" w/3-5/8" offset centerline looking rims out back

plans are 67 bug transaxle, with 65 drums machined to fit, flipped spindles up front 145's up front, not for sure about rears.

still keeping bice bumpers, industrial rack, bullhorns on the rack (if you know of some pm me) and fog lights
Old September 15th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #8
i_am_cool_fred
Forum Member

no pics today but last night, i got my helicoil put in and a new flywheel seal as well. tonight i'll finish the motor and snap some pics.

saturday (weather permitting) i'll get my 67 beetle straight axle for it

then i go to town finishing up the rear so i can dismantle the front
Old September 21st, 2009, 11:34 AM   #9
i_am_cool_fred
Forum Member

over the weekend i got the muffler the rest of the way on, fixed the heater box, got the heater boxes mated to the muffler appropriately, distributor installed for the last time, fuel pump sealed and installed, fan installed in the shroud and alternator mated to the shroud for the last time, got the fan belt drive pulley installed, fan belt, alternator pulley with new shims. new coil put on and hooked up, muffler resonator and tip installed.

then i moved to the transmission and got the late model bus nose cone shaved down to fit in the early model hole. Got the solid adapter mounted to the nose cone. Got the 67 beetle straight axle pressure washed drained, nose cone off, cleaned the mating surface, put on a little rtv for save measure, along with a new gasket, and put on the late model bus nose cone. installed a brand new 12 volt starter that i got from a guy and stabbed the transmission, with new mounts installed, and filled it with gear oil, which was a big mistake since the boots need to be replaced.

and here's a sneak peak at what's to come:

i'll take more tonight, all i lack on the rear are the modified spring plates, which will come in this week, axle boots, and brakes

Last edited by i_am_cool_fred; September 21st, 2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old September 21st, 2009, 04:15 PM   #10
i_am_cool_fred
Forum Member

here's a few more pics of the progress:
straight axle in:

experimented with a rustoleum i thought woudl be close to the original dove blue...not so much:

bottom of transmission, random shot, was trying to get hte adapter without crawling underneath it, oh well, see how clean the transmission is, and see the original dove blue paint poking out underneath the crud on that cross member:

complete motor shots:

fan in place:

gastank seems to bea pretty clean inside, soaked it with gas yesterday and dumped it out, a little dark colored, but no big chunks came out so it will probably go back in:

sprayed easy off on the side of hte bus just to see what would come off with the pressure washer, won't take much to get back down to the dove blue paint:
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:52 PM   #11
i_am_cool_fred
Forum Member

in the last week i've put axle boots on:

then on my birthday my wonderful wife, with the help of a good friend giving advice, got me these hella fog lamps. i can't wait to get them on the front:

then the past two days i pulled the front spindles off the front, got them pressure washed and cleaned up for squareonair to flip them:

took some shots with the bitchin' wheels in the background:

question for the readers, how can something so shitty:

be so damn clean:

decided while the pressure wash is out, might as well clean the fender wells:

hopefully next week i'll get the spring plates mounted and get the ass back down on the ground. and i may have a nice surprise for the bus to make it scoot.

i will find out for sure on sunday
Old October 3rd, 2009, 06:10 PM   #12
i_am_cool_fred
Forum Member

got the spring plates in, thanks to joey at dead end aircooled at tulsa.

got the left and right side on but i must of not done something right on the passenger side so i'll have to see what i did. it's acting as though i have it out one notch but measurements show i don't. and for some reason the torsion bar i sticking out some on the passenger side, something tells me that hs something ot do wiht why it's not fitting correctly.

anway, here's the pictures, sitting next to the tire and rim that were on the bus with the jacked up so it's resting on it's suspension not a jackstand, it appears about 4" of drop:

i have every bit of a quarter of an inch between the lip of the rim and the lip of the fender, looks like some "modifications" will have to be made to the fender lol:

it seems like i'll have a bit of positive camber, slightly less than stock, but slightly more than a slammed cambered street ride:

can't wait to get this thing back on the ground, may see tomorrow about getting the used roller tires from grumpy so i can see it on the ground
Old October 5th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #13
i_am_cool_fred
Forum Member

got the plates on for the final time, had to reindex the passengerside a bit, the drip rail is now at 65" which is a bit higher than my bay was (60" at the rear)

one thing i've learned, no bus rims can be run with a beetle tranny with modified bus plates. they do rub a smidge, i bet a different tire would allow you to run them, but i like these tires.

here's the rear with soem rollers i'm borrowing from grumpy till i get the centerlines wrapped.

Old October 15th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #14
i_am_cool_fred
Forum Member

got the rear tires mounted

185/65r15...just about to wide, i will have to bend the fender well out just a smidge to make them fit.

wish me luck getting the left rear off to bend the fender well out. to get it to where it fits correctly

rear should drop a bit when i get the motor in it and roll it around some.
exactly how i wanted them to fit too, stuffed in there

got the spindles back from squareonair as well, will get those on tomorrow night (thanks patrick, great work as always)
Old October 16th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #15
i_am_cool_fred
Forum Member

used a bottle jack, rubber mallet, and a 4x4 (all i could find) and brought the fender wells out from 14.5" to an even 15" i can now fit my fingers inbetween the tire and the fender, so i should be safe there.

also got the torsion arms off the driverside so i can pull the outer leaves to get the front down a smidge more than what just drop spindles would do.
Old October 24th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #16
i_am_cool_fred
Forum Member

got rear brake lines installed, fuel line installed, fuel filter OUTSIDE THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT, clutch fork fixed, throw out bearing on, front soft lines, done front tires mounted (145/65r15) on my 3.5 x 15 convo's

now for the pics:

this bitch looks fast

thumbs up to the steerign box:

now for the glamor shots:

Old October 25th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #17
i_am_cool_fred
Forum Member

i'll let the sneak peak picture tell you what got done today:

now, what i did: clutch on, motor stabbed. had some issues the input shaft on the transmission was a bit crusty, after getting an old clutch and sliding it back and forth some i managed to get it clean so the motor would go on. had some fighting but it is finally in thank god. also ran throttle cable, got the fuel line into the engine compartment, new tie rods up front, need to adjust toe on the front, it's major in.

now for the pictures:

and here's some random top shots from the deck:

all i lack is oil lines, mastercylinder, battery and a brake bleed
Old December 20th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #18
i_am_cool_fred
Forum Member

well folks, i haven't posted any thing in a loong time on the status of this beast. well, after some help from a friend he's running better than ever. here's some glamour shots.

Last edited by i_am_cool_fred; December 20th, 2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old March 13th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #19
i_am_cool_fred
Forum Member

well folks, decided to lay down some lines on the bus...but after i replaced spring plates on it: