- by Bugula

Old February 1st, 2010, 04:12 AM   #76
hotrodgary
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: My first VW project, hotrodgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
Hotrodgary,this is a great write-up,and the step by step photos are helpfull as well.I am going to chop my 67' Bug 4" and will be using your posts almost step by step,but I do not have a oval to insert and will be cutting the rear window sheetmetal.You say you are cutting things lose and redoing,what happened? Anything I can avoid? Maybe something that could cut down on the gin and tonics and
Nothing big, just tweaking it getting the driprail to look just right. You get it tacked together and stand back and end up cutting it loose and moving and tweeking.

I have the roof skin and all the holes and gaps welded and ground down. Got the front and middle posts cut and lined up on the inside and window edges, all welded and ground down. Its on to the doors then I will do the rear quarter window radius'... been putting that off lol

-Gary
hotrodgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #77
hotrodgary
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Took some pics, but doesnt look much different lol, its all the welding and grinding and lining up the posts and what not.. the tedious stuff. Gonna have alot of mud in it before its done lol

Got drivers side rear window radius done last night. gonna make a wood pattern for the window to make sure it sits flat all the way around and to have a pattern for the other side. Also I think instead of using the seal around the window I'm going to press fit them and just urethane it in... still thinking.

enuff bs, some pics....

-Gary

Roof skin and gaps filled and ground down

Front & side posts after I widened, welded and ground down. I didnt get any pics before grinding to see how I cut it

The door after I welded (Dont make fun of my welds lol)

Rear window radius, I see alot of cars with shitty looking radius' on the back. I'm pretty happy with how it came out, not exactly what I wanted but will work

And took a couple pics before I went in for the night

Old February 5th, 2010, 04:53 AM   #78
detroit73super
Forum Member

Looking good, 1/4 window radius looks tight....gotta remember to check my 1/4 windows for "flatness" also before getting much further on mine. Lemme know if you need a glass guy, I've got a good friend in Livonia who's cutting my new 1/4 glass and door glass, then will temper it. Are you gonna change out your window regulators for the 2 point lift earlies ?? Later
detroit73super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #79
PureC4
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Damn you guys with all this talent! If I tried that I'd end up with a pile of scrap. Someday I'll win the lottery and have somebody chop mine. Looks great Gary, can't wait to see it finished. Chop on Bro!

We lust for what we want, and weep for what we need!
PureC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #80
Palepainter
Forum Member

I dig the combination of the slider in the roof with the Oval rear clip. The roof lines look really good too!!
Old February 6th, 2010, 02:20 AM   #81
fishguts
Forum Member

Your welds look pretty good to me. VW's were made out of some of thinnest, crappiest steel I've ever seen and can be a real challenge to weld up nice in some areas, even with decent equipment. In some places where they stretched the metal to form a tight bend or pinch a seam it can be almost paper thin.

Of course by now you already know that!

Good job - it's looking great.
Old February 9th, 2010, 04:31 AM   #82
hotrodgary
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguts View Post
Your welds look pretty good to me. VW's were made out of some of thinnest, crappiest steel I've ever seen and can be a real challenge to weld up nice in some areas, even with decent equipment. In some places where they stretched the metal to form a tight bend or pinch a seam it can be almost paper thin.

Thanks, YES.. they are super thin in some areas... I end up going off on tangents welding up holes as it burns away lol frustrating!!
-Gary
Old February 9th, 2010, 04:46 AM   #83
hotrodgary
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

The rear quarter window areas are done now. I used part of the leftover b-pillar sections to piece it together. I was not looking foward to doing this part and it came out pretty good!

Next I'm moving on to the decklid area.

I'm wanting to change the cowl to an early style without the "dip" in the wiper area...and I think they are flat? I am going to build a flip out windshield for it and would like to run a flat windshield.

Are the early windows flat from left to right? I'm posting a separate thread to ask bout this. I would like to find a cowl section. I just want basically cut out from the top dash area to the hood lip edge. Be easier to graft that in than modify mine I think. Any info on this anyone???

radius' made and welded up, they are ground down but I didnt get pics yet.

Last edited by hotrodgary; February 9th, 2010 at 04:55 AM.
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:43 AM   #84
detroit73super
Forum Member

Gary - 1/4 window radi look great. I see you overlapped your oval clip w/ gutter like I did on mine and looks like the gutters line up perfect also. Thank god the profile of the roof w/ the gutter and the indentation did not change throughout the years. The difference between my 55 roof and my 73 Super was like a heavy 1/8, or barely a 1/16 from side to side, so easy to blend.
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:48 AM   #85
UT-X
Forum Member

Hey Gary! What's your set up for the front suspension? Drop spindles and adjustable beam? It's got a purdy stance.
UT-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:50 AM   #86
hotrodgary
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I actually cut and pulled the quarter panels in on each side. I will have to take a pic to show. since the oval clip was layed down it was too narrow in the rear of the quarter window area, so I pulled each quarter panel in about a 3/8" on each side so the back of the quarter window would stay flat. Nobody will ever notice it.
Not sure if anyone else had this issue before?
-Gary
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:53 AM   #87
hotrodgary
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT-X View Post
Hey Gary! What's your set up for the front suspension? Drop spindles and adjustable beam? It's got a purdy stance.
Beam extender dropped it 2", dropped spindles and adjusters. I have it set as high as it will go and the front of the frame head is about an 1 1/2" off the ground.

guess I will be making a skid plate!

-Gary
Old February 9th, 2010, 06:01 AM   #88
detroit73super
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodgary View Post
I actually cut and pulled the quarter panels in on each side. I will have to take a pic to show. since the oval clip was layed down it was too narrow in the rear of the quarter window area, so I pulled each quarter panel in about a 3/8" on each side so the back of the quarter window would stay flat. Nobody will ever notice it.
Not sure if anyone else had this issue before?
-Gary
Yeah we had to do the same, not sure if I have a pic, but made a bunch of slices, kinda looked like a blooming onion, pressed everything in a bit, and then paneled over.
Old February 9th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #89
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguts View Post

Ever see an early Toyota van door? You could take one finger and dent it! That was thin metal!
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #90
fro540
Forum Member

fill ins look great... started laying out mine tonight... wanted to shadow the door lines, yours look close... you using a rubber pad and sand disc's for the final smoothing of the welds?
fro540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #91
hotrodgary
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by fro540 View Post
fill ins look great... started laying out mine tonight... wanted to shadow the door lines, yours look close... you using a rubber pad and sand disc's for the final smoothing of the welds?
I used the good old 4 1/2" hard grind disc to knock the heavy part off, then i used 4 1/2" flap disc to smooth it down, THEN lol I used my 90 degree grinder and 2" rolocs to finish it off. came out really smooth.
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #92
ssleeper
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

[QUOTE=hotrodgary;445564]Beam extender dropped it 2", dropped spindles and adjusters. I have it set as high as it will go and the front of the frame head is about an 1 1/2" off the ground.

guess I will be making a skid plate!

Wow, the car has the perfect stance. What size are your tires on the front and rear? also what is the height in inches of your front tires? I really like the contrast to the two. Are those going to be the final sizes?
I have 235 75/ 15 (28 in tall ) for the rear and 185 75/14 on the front (24 in tall) but haven't be able to mock it up to see the stance.
You said you have an 8 inch extender, with dropped spindles, and adjusters (with them all up)? how high is your beam off the ground?
I am making my own extender with a 2 1/2 inch drop but it looks like I will need to go alot more with beam adjusters. I need to get in the driveway and mock everything up but it was 12 degrees here in Montana today so that's not happening soon.
You car is going to be awesome thanks for sharing your build with us.
Johnny
Way up North.

ssleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #93
hotrodgary
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssleeper View Post
Wow, the car has the perfect stance. What size are your tires on the front and rear? also what is the height in inches of your front tires? I really like the contrast to the two. Are those going to be the final sizes?
I have 235 75/ 15 (28 in tall ) for the rear and 185 75/14 on the front (24 in tall) but haven't be able to mock it up to see the stance.
You said you have an 8 inch extender, with dropped spindles, and adjusters (with them all up)? how high is your beam off the ground?
I am making my own extender with a 2 1/2 inch drop but it looks like I will need to go alot more with beam adjusters. I need to get in the driveway and mock everything up but it was 12 degrees here in Montana today so that's not happening soon.
You car is going to be awesome thanks for sharing your build with us.
Johnny
Way up North.

Thanks,
The tires I have on the car are just roll around mock ups.
But they are they same sizes you have!
front: 5.60 R15 24"tall
rear: 235/75 R15 28" tall
I will be running something similar to those sizes when the time comes.. maybe taller in the front?

I dont know how high the beam is off the ground, but the front edge of the frame head is maybe 2" off the ground (the reason for the taller tires... and a heavy skid plate underneath :)

-Gary
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #94
SKIN
Forum Member

I can't wait to see what you fab up for a skid plate volksrodgary!
SKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 04:55 AM   #95
hotrodgary
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Well, I ended up picking up a 64 body (minus the chassis) sunday for pretty cheap. its rusty on the bottom and has no heat channels, but has the parts I was looking for and some extra so maybe I can sell off and recover my money!? Anybody wanna buy some parts? (doors/decklid/roof rear body section)

Anyways, I'm going to swap in the early wiper cowl section onto my car.
and... maybe?.. I'm going to swap in the front roof section also, I like how the roof curves down to the windshield alot better than my 73 roof. Not sure yet if I will do that..?

Also in the pics is a body a member on the site FIRSTTRY gave me back in the fall. Its just been sitting in the driveway. I was gonna cut it up, then I thought about yard art, than I thought about VOLKSROD TRUCK?... hmmm? Not sure yet. Or if somebody wanted it I might just turn the nice gesture that I got and give it to them .. anybody?

-Gary

Old February 15th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #96
AUDItech
Forum Member

I need the decklid and I need a piece of the drivers b pillar, how much do you want?
AUDItech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #97
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodgary View Post
I'm going to swap in the front roof section also, Not sure yet if I will do that..?

Also in the pics is a body a member on the site FIRSTTRY gave me back in the fall. Its just been sitting in the driveway. I was gonna cut it up, then I thought about yard art, than I thought about VOLKSROD TRUCK?... hmmm?
Yes to both.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:06 AM   #98
hotrodgary
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Not a whole lot to update, been busy. But this weekend I finally got the cowl/windshield swapped in.

I decided to go ahead and put the front roof section in, turned out to be a little bit of a pain, but its all tacked in place now. I am going to make a pattern for the windshield next to make sure the opening is flat all the way around before I weld it in solid.

I think it looks 100% better now, the way the roof curves down, the smooth cowl and all that managed to shorten the windshield another 1 1/2"!

-Gary

heres some pics...
Donor 1964 Bug

starting cutting out the lower cowl first

donor car getting cut up

donor cowl section

fit in place

cut away the upper section

fit the donor section on

Tacked in place, It looks so much better now to me!!!

Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:35 PM   #99
Palepainter
Forum Member

Nice work. I have been considering the same swap on mine.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:53 AM   #100
hotrodgary
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palepainter View Post
Nice work. I have been considering the same swap on mine.
Thanks, yeah I think it looks a lot better now!
-Gary