Newest Member: syl023h2

Latest Threads
- by cretin
- by yimbo

Old February 8th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #1
63 hoody
Forum Member

Default legal help , title/registration crap

well ive got a problem here , over the last year and a half i got into chevy trucks and 4wheeling and this isnt the place to go into detail on that so im not going to , what i need advice on is some title information,

i have a 1978 truck that i built for crawling but thought smog was stupid so i traded this guy on craigslist who had a 1973 truck that had been rolled , my cab and front clip for a 1986 military cab and clip wich has a diesel title so no smog , now he seemed like a really cool nice guy with no shady b.s. at all and the catch was his friend had the title and he was going to mail it to me as soon as he got it . he lives about 40 min from me and his friend is about 2hours away so thats why he couldnt get it so easy i guess,

well its been 2 weeks and nothing on the title , last weekend i emailed him asking whats going on and no reply so i texted him asking what the hell is up ? he called me right after and said he felt really bad and was trying to get it but his friend had thrown it away or something but he was working on it and would get back to me by the end of the weekend , well now its going to be wednesday and again like before no contact so i emailed him sayin i understand the title was lost but im going to need him to sign a bill of sale and gave him3 options , either have his friend fill out the bill of sale and give it to him to give to me , have his friend fill it out and mail it straight to me or give me his friends contact info so i can get ahold of him to get it myself , i even offered to drive the 2+ hours to where he is to have him sign the bill of sale so he doesnt have to mail it!
so we'll see if he even replies , but my question is does anyone know what legal action i can take?? i have the cab and vin plate and both licence plates , ive checked the dmv and its not stolen , i photographed him at my house picking up my truck cab , i locked texts he sent me saying he was coming to get it and when and all that , i saved the emails between us about him coming down to get it and all that so i think im pretty safe from being screwed over but i just want to know what can i do to go after him to get it??

im in goin to school right now majoring in criminal justice and my instructor is a police officer so thursday im going to go talk to him about all this too but yeah im a little pissed off i made this mistake and didnt get a title up front. but came here for advice since ive asked advice here when i had my bug and got really good help with things and have seen the same done for other people on here , you guys are really lucky to have this cool of a crowd over here , all the 4x4 forums i hang around are full of total a-holes ( part of the reason i just got another bug!!!)
Old February 9th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #2
Al Low Ha
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: legal help , title/registration crap

problem is....you have NO legal recourse in Ca. cause what you are doing is...illegal...by CA DMV laws. Been there, done that! What you are doing is a 'reconstruction' by definition. This opens up another whole can of worms!

Bill of sale isn't much help! You may very well have to have the truck inspected(will have to be complete too!) and when you're not running a diesel....your sunk! The best thing you can do is hook up with the guy who 'had' the title....and take a ride to the DMV together, so he can do a transfer of ownership right then and there!

Or, write it off as a loss and start over!
Sorry for the bad news....I learned this the hard way(had to do it more than once too!). Ther are loop hole in the CA DMV but almost all of them require a vehicle inspection....
Aloha
Al Low Ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #3
hotrodheb

He should be able to just apply for a lost title with the DMV. Takes a bit of time, but once he has it and signs it over to you, you are good to go.

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #4
Al Low Ha
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

yeh Rob that is easiest...but seems he's having trouble getting the guy to do "anything".... he needs to take the guy by the short hairs straight to DMV and do a title transfer and be done with it.
Aloha
Al Low Ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #5
valleyvw
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

always get the title in hand at time of sale, if your state requires like Pa. does,

signed in front of a notary,do that. i t save a lot of headaches and BS if you

don't. a lot of times no title, lost title, can rsult in so much Bs that it;s just not worth the effort.

i had a chance to get a Vw not far from where i live, no title no deal.

and another thing, some ads say "title available for $150.00 or so

last time i looked a broadway title i think it was $350.00 or something like that?

hope it works out for you in the end!

"If you can't run with the BIG DAWGS , STAY ON THE PORCH!"

http://www.skookoutlet.com
valleyvw is offline   Reply With Quote