Newest Member: syl023h2

Latest Threads
- by cretin
- by yimbo

Old February 14th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #26
Iowa Mark
Forum Member

Default Re: How do I stick my rod thru?

Even though removing torsion leaves and replacing them with threaded rod is controversial, I chose to do just that on my buggy because of the lightness of it's front end. There was little to no travel in my front end with the stiffness of even a stock torsion pack. I used only the lower tube as suspension and stuck a rod in the upper. I did try to make it as safe as I could think of though. The rod is a fine threaded 5/8" grade 5 that was ordered from either McMaster/Carr, or MSC. There is a "nylock" inside the trailing arm that was carefully set to limit side to side travel between the two ends and yet not bind up the free travel of the arms themselves. Outside of the arms is a "delrin" washer backed by a thick steel washer. The whole mess is held together by another "nylock".

Iowa Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #27
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

You don't want to "dimple" both ends of the threaded rod, because
then you have a threaded, mild steel, sway bar. And it WILL break.

Airkwld is like GEX, good at marketing, not engineering and manufacturing.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:06 AM   #28
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
The other thing you wanna consider is that you don't wanna be driving around with your Balljoints bottoming out.
Also if you gotta flat tire you dont wanna be stuck ground into the road on a bridge with traffic backed up behind you and your unable to get a jack under your car and you cant push it aside either. Dont think it can't happen.
I can almost relate to just that happening, not with a VW, but with my son's Honda which he lowered as low as it could go without major modifications, just added some shorter struts which if lowered all the way you can't get any kind of jack under it. I even have a scissors jack which is 3 inches tall when lowered all the way. Because he had low profile tires on all 4 corners if he has gotten a flat it may have just scraped the ground, the tires were only about 4 inches bigger in diameter than the 18 inch wheels (which equals 2 inches per side) but just to get one of those cheap aluminum floor jack which was 3-1/2 inches tall, they call them racing jacks because they are made of aluminum and really light weight, I just know he had to adjust the coil over struts or whatever they are called.
Anyhow when he needed to jack it up to do work on the car he had to drive it onto phone books under each side just to get his jack under the car, he has raised it so if something happened he could get his aluminum racing floor jack (as named by Harbor Freight, the reason was he went to drive it and the 1 tire was flat and when he tied to drive it onto the phone books he kept in his trunk, they would just push forward as he would drive onto it. He did get a much better quality lowering kit rather than the cheap set he had bought for it a few years before.

Now my 69 V-Rod has had both tubes cut and turned as far as you can turn them, which is until the grub screws or whatever they call them screws you loosed in the center of the torsion tubes up front, now I will need to remove the beam just to get those screws loose if I ever need to rebuild it. I measured it yesterday and the lower tube is only a bit over 5-1/2 inches from the ground, and my floor jack will fit under it if I push it real hard to get it under the tube to raise it up. I bring this up because it had been on jack stands for the past 2 months and when I went to lower it the tires were low on air and I couldn't get the jack out until I pumped up both tires, then I had to pull the jack out with a bit of force.
I may some day take the beam off and cut and turn the tubes back to raise it up a bit, then add a set of 2 inch drop spindles, or I may give making a set of 2 to 2-1/2 inch drop spindles myself.

I need to learn how to get to the point with my replies rather than type out short stories, I'm sure most of you may not even read them. I could just write a book instead.

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:18 AM   #29
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Mark View Post
Even though removing torsion leaves and replacing them with threaded rod is controversial, I chose to do just that on my buggy because of the lightness of it's front end. There was little to no travel in my front end with the stiffness of even a stock torsion pack. I used only the lower tube as suspension and stuck a rod in the upper. I did try to make it as safe as I could think of though. The rod is a fine threaded 5/8" grade 5 that was ordered from either McMaster/Carr, or MSC. There is a "nylock" inside the trailing arm that was carefully set to limit side to side travel between the two ends and yet not bind up the free travel of the arms themselves. Outside of the arms is a "delrin" washer backed by a thick steel washer. The whole mess is held together by another "nylock".

That's an entirely different story though. You did retain one of the torsion packs. That's not uncommon in buggys.
Mine has all of the small leaves removed top and bottom, with just enough of them left to tighten the grub screws on the trailing arms tight. Doing both and riding on the shocks isn't my idea of suspension or safe.
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:24 AM   #30
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
You don't want to "dimple" both ends of the threaded rod, because
then you have a threaded, mild steel, sway bar. And it WILL break.
Wouldn't that be a mild steel torsion spring rather than a mild steel sway bar?

Also even if you don't put any dimples on the all thread or threaded rod, it's still gonna wanna twist as the torsion leaves do, like when going over something or hitting a pot hole 1 wheel is gonna wanna go up twisting the rod and after a few hundred times of that it will wanna break, of due to not having any dimples and the grub screws in they will go up and down independently, it may be a good idea to use a Delrin washer backed by a thick steel washer on the inside as well as the outside. If it was mine I'd make some way to grease the Delrin washers so they don't keep wearing thinner and thinner until your trailing arms come loose.

Just a thought I have about doing it that way, it makes me wanna go Hmmm. Guess the only way to know is to try it and see how it goes.

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote