- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Old January 4th, 2008, 06:53 AM   #51
Otto Katt
Forum Member

Default Re: my kawasaki beetle project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
found these pix in the bike thread. No info on it though. Looks like a pretty good use of an older Kaw'y

Hey Thanks Steve.
I was looking for a clue as to where I had seen the rail with a cycle out back.I can find the bike thread on my own now.

My idea is more centered around a fuel efficient/ comfort/day to day transportation vehicle. I will sacrifice the level of cool and performance for mpg's.
That said, it also will be built 75% from recycled parts in my little salvage yard. Low Budget is the Goal not the Requirement. I want to clean up some of the rusted, busted and dusted bits of cars and bikes in the field. While also using up some of the doubles of spare new parts I've accquired; like a narrowed adjustable front tube with drop spindles and disc brakes .
I have a Harley 883 with a doinged up front fork and frame head that should be torquey enuff. What I would like to get out of this is 45+ mpg (the 883 gets 56 mpg), cruise speed of 60 mph and ability to pull .8 -.9 lateral G's.
Katt
Old January 4th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #52
mkparker
Forum Member

Katt, check out this site if you haven't already. There are quite a few ideas to be had...not all are good, but ideas none the less.

Maxmatic 3 Wheeler Page

mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #53
trikertroy
Forum Member

A few notes on MPGs and weight.. You would think VW trikes would get great mileage...Haveing less the half of its designed weight to haul around,, Truth is that we only gain about 5mpgs more then the donor car..But the quickness is twice as good... I get about 23mpgs with my gold trike with a 1914engine and freeway flyer trans.. semi tall tires and 812lbs... One of our clubs trikes gets a true 40mpg with a fresh stock 40hp and early swing axle... Most VW trikes are lucky to get 30mpg
trikertroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #54
Steve White
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Katt View Post
I have a Harley 883 with a doinged up front fork and frame head that should be torquey enuff. What I would like to get out of this is 45+ mpg (the 883 gets 56 mpg), cruise speed of 60 mph and ability to pull .8 -.9 lateral G's.
Katt
that appeals to me huge. I think you pretty much have to do the two wheels in front thing to get any kinda serious G's. Have a look at a T-Rex. I've sat in one and they are an amazingly well put together rig. I love the idea of a V-Twin thumping away. A FireAreo body on harley based trike might be cool altough FireAreo's seem hard to come buy. You could make the body out of fiberglass over foam like those mail order plans from the 70's doesn't have to look like theirs.

You'll have to start a thread so we can all criticiz.... er, help out as you work on it like we are doing for our friend that started this thread
Steve White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #55
gravguy
Forum Member

something ive been playing with allot are 2F 1Rs the t rexeshttp://www.t-rexusa.com/ are well built but very expensive there fuel economy isnt great but they can handle and top speed is great FireAeros http://www.fireaero.com/ are great but they only built 7 of the first and about 8 of the second generation and i own 2 of those 7. tri magnums http://www.rqriley.com/are everywhere but mostly because they are a plans set not a kit or a finish built vehicle there are about 100 out on the market including the one posted by steve that was called the whiplash it was a plan set but i dont think they ever had a web site the best site to see multiple differnt models check out
http://reversetrike.com/home.html

here is a current pic in my shop there are 2 FireAeros one Vortex and one regular 1f2 r here now

if you realy want fuel economy ive been building a baja with a jetta 2.o (aba motor) and its getting 45 mpg allot of work though but a hell of allot of power to wieght

FACEBOOK VERY WILD CAR COMPANY
gravguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #56
Otto Katt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkparker View Post
Katt, check out this site if you haven't already. There are quite a few ideas to be had...not all are good, but ideas none the less.

Maxmatic 3 Wheeler Page
The Landshark from that page was what I was seeing in my minds eye with the rail and cycle as the heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravguy View Post
something ive been playing with allot are 2F 1Rs the t rexeshttp://www.t-rexusa.com/ are well built but very expensive there fuel economy isnt great but they can handle and top speed is great FireAeros http://www.fireaero.com/ are great but they only built 7 of the first and about 8 of the second generation and i own 2 of those 7. tri magnums http://www.rqriley.com/are everywhere but mostly because they are a plans set not a kit or a finish built vehicle there are about 100 out on the market including the one posted by steve that was called the whiplash it was a plan set but i dont think they ever had a web site the best site to see multiple differnt models check out
http://reversetrike.com/home.html

here is a current pic in my shop there are 2 FireAeros one Vortex and one regular 1f2 r here now

if you realy want fuel economy ive been building a baja with a jetta 2.o (aba motor) and its getting 45 mpg allot of work though but a hell of allot of power to wieght
I like the fireareo's but I need more room to get in and out. A Vortex may be more along the lines. I think it was on the classifieds at reverse trike that I saw the Fireaero molds for sale.
I can get a steady 34 mpg out of the Beetle.

Wonder how this would do as a 2 cylinder VW witht the aviation conversion?
Old January 7th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #57
road_dog
Forum Member

I haven't read this entire thread.................But................I ran across this on FleaBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volks...QQcmdZViewItem
road_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #58
Steve White
Forum Member

I really like the idea of 2 wheels out front and one out back but they won't let me register that configuration where I live.

Thats the only reason I don't build one ... well that and I don't have the time ....or the parts, I don't have none of those, and a I don't have a garage, oh ya, well there the skill thing I suppose, I don't have much of that ... sigh... its mostly cause they won't let me register it though ...mostly
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #59
freetroy
Forum Member

don't get me wrong trikes are cool but how many ways can you build a trike my project is to get bike motor in a bug may i add im not trying to shoot you guys down + the motor im useing is just to get it up and running i am taking every thing in to considerion
i have had a lot of good and bad input but im not one to juge any one hear
freetroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #60
mkparker
Forum Member

Sorry bro, we got a little carried away on the whole 3 wheel thing. You keep truckin' on your project and I'll keep watchin'. Lord knows that's what I do best anyway! If ya need any suggestions you know where we are.

Old January 8th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #61
gravguy
Forum Member

heres another three wheeler that vw will never build

FACEBOOK VERY WILD CAR COMPANY
gravguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 05:40 AM   #62
purplepeopleeater
Forum Member

Just make sure you rev it to 20,000rpm to get that full 30ftlbs of torque you'll need all you can get...Get some type R stickers for the side
purplepeopleeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #63
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetroy View Post
don't get me wrong trikes are cool but how many ways can you build a trike my project is to get bike motor in a bug may i add im not trying to shoot you guys down + the motor im useing is just to get it up and running i am taking every thing in to considerion
i have had a lot of good and bad input but im not one to juge any one hear
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, trikes are cool. But, how many ways can you build a trike? My project is to get a bike motor in a bug. May I add I'm not trying to shoot you guys down. Plus, the motor I'm useing is just to get it up and running. I am taking every/thing in to consideration. I have had a lot of good and bad input but I'm not one to judge any/one here.
I really try not to make a big deal out of grammar since this is the internet but I also get tired of trying to decipher posts. I totally understand typos...I'm an old guy with fat fingers myself. But GEEZ!!! At least try to get some of it right!! And, for those of you that text everything from your phone...that's called an addiction. You really are not that busy, get a life!! (unless you're Steve then it's understandable...gotta keep an eye on this place while not at home )

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean

Last edited by bugdust; January 9th, 2008 at 07:57 AM.
bugdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #64
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeopleeater View Post
Just make sure you rev it to 20,000rpm to get that full 30ftlbs of torque you'll need all you can get...Get some type R stickers for the side

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
bugdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #65
Hebster52
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Even with the input from others about bike engine cars, I still think this is a case of: just because you can, does not mean you should.

I just do not agree that this will ever be able to go faster or more performance than if you just lightened up the VW and used a hi-perf ACVW engine. As many others said you need lower rpm torque and there is the old saying "no replacement for displacement"
I was going to agree with you, but then I just remembered...

I might be the wrong person to say you shouldn't...

HebsterWerks The secret workshop..
Hebster's projects in the introsection.
Cuttin' them splits up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
"What stripping?... all I see is bare metal!"

Hebster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #66
son of GhiaBug
Forum Member

if you really want to save weight, look for a full fiberglass shell on the samba and ditch the fat chick body. no "weigh" you're getting that to under 400 lbs without severely reducing the structural integrity. those super's were beefcake.

secondly, is the plan to use the bike motor just because you have it, and just to do it? if so, power to you. "do what you want, naysayers be damned", right boys?

son of GhiaBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #67
tinbeater
Forum Member

KZ1000s had 85 hp and 112 for the torque. Not as bad as some are making it seem. THey also don't wind to the moon like newer bikes, so you'll have more usable torque. The only problem is the heat. KZ motors get HOT!!
tinbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #68
Steve White
Forum Member

ya I agree with the go for it crowd. Just cause some might think your nuts ... well thats not a bad thing is it? If we all did smart shit all of the time we would be a pretty friggin boring bunch.

I actually used that on my wife the other night. I said "Cyn, if I didn't do stupid shit all the time you would be bored silly." I've was informed that only a stupid shit would say something so @#$%#$%@ stupid.

This stupid shit looks forward to seeing your project as it progresses.

Don't argue with idiots, people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Old January 9th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #69
Steve
Administradora El Polacko

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugdust View Post
I really try not to make a big deal out of grammar since this is the internet but I also get tired of trying to decipher posts. I totally understand typos...I'm an old guy with fat fingers myself. But GEEZ!!! At least try to get some of it right!! And, for those of you that text everything from your phone...that's called an addiction. You really are not that busy, get a life!! (unless you're Steve then it's understandable...gotta keep an eye on this place while not at home )
Actually I text, email AND post from my phone all the time. In fact... most of my posts on here during the day are done on my phone. There's no way I'd be able to take care of all the PM's and emails if I waited till I got home at night. Yet, I still manage to take the extra 5 seconds it takes to use some punctuation and to come somewhat CLOSE to correct spelling. It's just respect for the reader.

If someone's posting a question and I open the thread and see:

"i dont no wut this thing is can sum1 plz help me out wit ne ansers cuz i dont no wut im doing hear cuz my car wobbles with sparks n stuff oh n wut duz bill put on his sideburns 2 make them all full cuz mine is just grown in patches hes so rad i like his hair 2 its chillz like stevee wonders cornrowz"

I just hit the "back" button... because it gives me a migraine.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #70
mkparker
Forum Member

It's just respect for the reader.

Right on!!

Old January 10th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #71
freetroy
Forum Member

thanks guys it good to know that i have good friends on here
Old January 10th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #72
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Back in the so-called `day' you built your project with what you had, and had fun doing it.
We spllelled words the best we cood, and life was, um, good... Now that all that's settled, how's the project going?
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #73
vintage-raze
Forum Member

I like what your doing..... I like anyone who takes shit they have and do something they think will be fun with it. There's alot of people on here who will, and can help you reach your goal and make it better. But believe me, alot of 'em will NOT take the time to figure out what the hell your trying to say when you don't at least use a period or eight.

It's not about typing fast or not knowing how to spell... It's fuckin' lazy and makes me assume your retarded. Computers have spell check, and if your on here posting pics and questions about your ride, you've obviously got plenty of time to slow down and make a complete sentence.

Steve brings up a GREAT point, I've always been too shy/polite to bring it up myself, but it eats awy at me everyday...... How the FUCK does Bill get his sideburns so full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
oh n wut duz bill put on his sideburns 2 make them all full cuz mine is just grown in patches hes so rad i like his hair 2 its chillz like stevee wonders cornrowz"
Keep rockin' away at the project, I like the concept. There are many ways to lighten the body. As some have mentioned, just get a fiberglass shell. Or along with the 'glass fenders, and front end that you had talked about, 'glass doors are also available.

Take some time to make your questions a little easier to read through, and I think you'll find quite a few more helpful tips and fresh ideas.

Well, fags... and magic clowns.
vintage-raze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:05 AM   #74
freetroy
Forum Member

thi is a pic i drew up tell me what you think
Old January 11th, 2008, 06:30 AM   #75
mkparker
Forum Member

Looks good! I love Kawasaki green! Oh yeah, I love all GREEN!

Check out this article, there might be some ideas you can use and it has 4 wheels!!

Kawasaki ZX9R Open wheeled street roadster