Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,473
Threads: 32,236
Total Online: 542

Newest Member: THarr

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:02 AM   #26
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Fleetwing Camper Build

I have been doing some research on Fleetwing Travel Trailer. I have found some information on who founded/owned the company. The son (part owner) is still alive and has been in the travel trailer business for a very long time. I have called the RV Hall of Fame several time and the historian has not been any help at all, so what I have found is from what I could dig up by myself. There is not much to find out about the Fleetwing tailer themselve on the net. So its close to a loosing fight. So I hope to reach out to Mr. Pletcher through a letter via snail mail and seeing if he will write back with some helpful information.

I did contact a fellow hot rodder that rebuilt a Fleetwing trailer to match his yellow Thunderbird. He was nice enough to share some of his findings with me along with a couple of brochures. These brochures are really cool to look over and see the different options that you could get with the camper. Plus the weight is on there too. Since the owners manual is long gone it help in that way too.

These ones are a little harder to see.

One of the biggest things that I really want to know is the color of the original decal colors on the outside. I have gone the long way to match the original colors of the paint I really think the topping would have the correct decal colors. Its always the little things that make it worth while doing. So till I find out the right colors there will not be any decals. I just want to do this trailer justice. The pic from the brochure looks to be red but I just can't really tell.

What was left of the front decal before I painted over it. What you see is the original paint and not the decal color.

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Scott76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #27
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Well after talking with a couple people and showing them the brochure we all agree that the decals should be (are) red. So I have the design in the hands of someone who can make them for me. I do need to check in on him about them.

I had a great work weekend these past couple of days. It was super hot out. So i didn't get all I wanted done but I got a great deal of it done. I installed the sink & faucet and all the water plumbing done. Then I cleaned the 2 burner stove. That was gross! But its super clean and plumbed to the main gas line.

Then the icebox could now be installed. The icebox it just vac. formed plastic. It did have a very thin layer of yellow fiberglass insul. around it that the mice loved and just never could have insulated it anyway. I have 1.5" pink foam board leftover from the garage build. I built a tight foam box in the cabinet for the ice box to fit into. I was going to have the drain hole through the floor but I really don't think we are going to use blocks of ice and don't want to deal with another hole through the floor for it.
The icebox:

I started to finish the electric wiring of the lights. I got 2 lights from the Scotty a couple years ago the I wired to the cabinet above the sink. I also left enough wire hidden on the backside of the middle post just incase we decide to wire in the old light under the cabinet too (thinking ahead).

I installed the wooden window frames end of last week to get the measurement for the curtains. Since the screens are stapled to the back of them I screwed the frames onto the wall just incase we would ever have to replace the screen of the window glass (there is one already broke).

Over the weekend my wife went to her gram's to meet her mom to help sew the curtains and a couple of pillows. They are awesome. They did a great job. Since the fabric is heavy uphostery stuff it wasn't easy. I just love them. Once she returned with them I had to hang up the rods and curtains. It really started to look like a camper once they were hung up. The pics just don't do them justice. Its really hard to get a good pics of anything in the camper now since the windows are installed (i use to take pics through the openings). Heres the curtains.

I also when to a scrape yard on Saturday to get some alum. sheet metal for the stone shield / visor for the front window since the orig. fiderglass is long since gone. So if it ever stops raining and not so humid out I can get it painted and handed off to the artist/pinstriper friend to do some stuff for me.

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Old August 10th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #28
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I got the electric wiring done (last light mounted and wired in). I also hung the gas light too. But before I hung it I cleaned it and maybe did a little polishing to the back reflector.

Before polishing:

After polishing:

The gas light:

I don't think it will take much to light the camper with that light.

The past couple of days had me worried. I couldn't find some of the hydraulic brake parts. We moved last year and everything was boxed up for over a 1.5 yrs and in several different places. I looked everywhere and even hunted down the hardest part down at a local rv place. But I found the box last night in the dark. So the box of missing parts are in a safe place now. So to the next step and getting ready to do the last painting of the little pieces to finish the brake system. The cover that goes over the hydraulic master cylinder on the tongue will be modified and build a little heavier since everyone thinks they are a step to jump over the tongue.

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Old August 15th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #29
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I got the the little pieces painted to match the frame. I modified the Atwood hydraulic brake cover to be a little heavy duty now. I was going to use a 30lb LP tank but I mounted it on the trailer before I prepped it and it was just to tall for my liking so I decided to stick with the 20lb LP tank. I made 2 stone shields for the front window but will only use 1 that is my favorite (you'll see that later once it comes back from the pin striper).

The modified brake cover:

The tank:

The cloths I mean parts drying line:

The hydraulic brakes are in and working great. They are used as the emergancy brakes too. The jacks level the camper but the brakes won't leave it rock back & forth. It really nice! Its a great design. They are always over looked and have never seen one in working order. Guess some people don't understand it. Plus its alot safer towing. The tow car/truck won't be pushed around going down hills or coming to a stop. Its alot safer.

Saturday night I tore into the heater. It took me several minutes to figure out how to even get the heater apart. The whole thing was spot welded together and I saw only 3 screws. I took the screws out and the burner came right out. The whole heater box was full of a mouse nest. I have never been a nest that big before. I cleaned it all out and looked at the burner. I cleaned that as well too. I don't like messing with gas but there is only one way to get it to work on my budget. I hooked a LP tank to it and lite a match! Nothing! So I cleaned the pilot light a little better and checked all the lines were cleared. I got the pilot light to light with no problem now. Now one burner would just flame up and a little flame in the other burner pinhole. So more cleaning of both and a spiderweb out of the other one. Now we're burning. It got some nice blue flames and teh sound of some pressure to it now. I put everything back together and fired it up to burn all the mouse smell out (rather now than in the camper). It works great and really throws off some heat. We'll be cooked out of that little camper as much as we insulated it. I would rather have an extra blanket than the heater on. But I'm the type of person, if I have it I want it to work.

The pilot light:

Before it was all cleaned:

After it was cleaned:

All together:

Fired up and looking through the pilot light window:

I did alot more stuff but that is all the pics that I have right now. The heater exhaust shield is cleaned and repainted with engine paint so it will with stand the heat (500 degree paint). If it gets burnt off I'll use header paint (1200 degree). The electric service plug cover is cleaned and painted and reinstalled. The table installed. New sliding doors are cut and painted. Closet clothes bar hung. The wife did some touchup painting. The electric knife was dropped off yesterday, but didn't have time to cut the foam yet. It was a long weekend and I needed a break.

What needs done yet is:
Foam cut and cushions installed.
Mount 3 cabinet/closet doors.
Install 4 sliding cabinet doors.
Install all the door hardware.
Do a full cleaning. I have finger prints all over the inside.

Hoping to have it done this week.

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Old August 19th, 2011, 03:45 AM   #30
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Here are some pics before it is cleaned up and before the cushions are in. Besides a little tweak here and there the camper is done.

I got this cooler last night. I'm thinking about buffing this to match the trim. What do you think?

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:37 AM   #31
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Wife cleaned the inside yesterday morning. It was a little dirty from the construction. Then I put the cushions in.

The back couch/bed:

The front table/bed:

I have a friend who deals with old coolers along with a ton of other hotrod/racing stuff. I had my eye on a cooler since the Spring Carlisle but ran out of cash to get it. Lucky no one has bought it because it was to clean looking and everyone wanted the old patina ones. So I stopped at his house Friday & picked up 2 gems for the camper. I live off ice tea so I had to get a water cooler to make it through a weekend camping trip.

Well I'm crazy enough to clean up that alum. cooler I got last week. So I put a 7" buffing wheel on a 4 1/2" angle grinder. Then polished it 2 times with a little loose wheel on a drill. I still have to clean and seal it yet. I took the lid apart to see what insulation it had if any. There is yellow fiberglass insulation in these if you ever want to know. So I had to put the lid back together and wait for the JB weld to set. I'll buff the lid tonight.

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Old September 6th, 2011, 05:50 AM   #32
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I picked up my new front window stone shield/visor for the camper. My buddy Jay does some awesome work. I gave him the blank sheet and gave him an idea of what I wanted on it. Now the wife & I have to do a little traveling to fill it out. Jay did this all my hand and just does amazing work.

He also made some decals for me too. I drew these up in AutoCAD a couple of years ago. Somehow they weren't the right size. Jay worked with me on resizing them and he fixed them for me. I never laid down any vinyl before, so with some tips from him they came out pretty dam sweet. They really finished off the camper. I'm so happy with the outcome. The one decal on the side beside the door has some real REALY tiny letters in it. But thats how the original one was. I'm just so happy with these all. Thank you Jay.

The back:

The front with the visor:

I even did the brake warning sticker on the hitch:

The little decal on the side beside the door:

Look how tiny these letters are:

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Old September 13th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #33
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

The wife & I went camping this past weekend for the first time. It was great. We had a blast. There was hardly anyone in the park. So it was nice and quiet. We relaxed around the fire. I was happy my friend who helped me build it traveled a very long distance (around 5 miles down the road ) pulled his camper up and camped with us. We BS'd and talked about an early Scotty he found and is trying to talk me in to helping him. I'd do it in a heart beat.

I got some great pics of it outside now. I'm so happy with this build project. It is part of the family now. Its going to have great life and be pampered very well.

There are so things that need finished yet but it will get there hoping this weekend. Oh yea. It pulled like a dream. No sway or pulling. You did even know it was there.

I love it. What a great addition to our collection.

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement

Last edited by Scott76; September 13th, 2011 at 03:48 AM.