Total Online: 581

Newest Member: bigchzz

Latest Threads
- by JiI

Old June 24th, 2010, 07:27 AM   #51
Budreaux
Forum Member

Default Re: 67' chop.......

Thank you, I may very well hit you up on that. I'm so ready to tie the roof all back in together and move forward on this car.
Budreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #52
Budreaux
Forum Member

Well, I'm all excited...finally getting the opportunity to go pick up my baby.
Kansas bound in 6 hours.....wish for an uneventful trip folks.
So ready to finally start working on her again.
Old September 14th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #53
Budreaux
Forum Member

Default (Insert cool project name here)

Well, I got the bug moved to Texas and I even found a donor roof for next to nothing. Time to get to work.

I should explain the little mishap with the relocation. As you may remember, but probably don't, I had to relocate due to a new job. In the rush to get packed up in moved, I tacked the A pillars in place to keep everything in order for the storage. Well, when I went to get it, things were a bit rushed and I completely forgot that the A pillars were only tacked on. I left out at 4:30 am and by the time the sun came up, 2 hours later, I noticed something just didn;t look right in the rearview mirror. Well, as you prolly figured by now, the dern thing came off and was lost along the side of the highway somewhere. So, the driver side a pillar and windshield framing. This is gonna make it a bit more challenging for me in a project that was already one hell of a challenge to begin with.

So, I cut the a pillars on the donor roof for a quick fit and to be able to try and figure out how to alter my future progress.

After a lot of I finally decided to make my first to the roof.
The following pics are for your amusement.

As you can see, it isn;t the most flowing of builds. The donor roof had a distortion in the drip rail over the door. Luckily, that's the section that I didn;t lose while moving it down here. SO..I figured I could replace it with my piece and line it all up.... ...it didn;t go as smooth in application as it did in my head.

I worked all day to get to where these pics show me to be....while I know it looks like a hodge podge of a mess, I'm actually happy with the outcome. Yeah, i know I had to reopen the C pillar welds, but the roof line just wouldn;t line up properly and I found it to be laid down to much. So I recut those joints and did a like bracing here and there and eventually had a good looking line along the drip rail down that side of the car. The old addage of measure twice and cut once is my motto, but I've quickly realized that twice just isn;t enough for my brain..... I'm optomistic that i will get the driver side done with a little more ease...not much mind you, but a little.

More this weekend....I need to relax some this evening after this test.

Last edited by Budreaux; September 14th, 2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old September 14th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #54
Budreaux
Forum Member

Default (Insert cool project name here)

And YES, I do realize I have the damn door frame tack welded to the freaking roof.... have you any idea how hard it is to get that alignment correct with that many joints on that damn radius, with just two hands?

Last edited by Budreaux; September 14th, 2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old September 14th, 2010, 05:29 PM   #55
Budreaux
Forum Member

Old September 16th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #56
Palepainter
Forum Member

It may be a bit late to ask, but where is all your bracing to keep that door opening dimensions the same? If I remember correctly from your earlier shots, you have bad gaps as a result of the lack of bracing. You may want to throw both of the doors on and recheck the gaps and get some bracing across the door openings on the inside.
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #57
jaywiz
Forum Member

I'm just glad i finally found a thread that someone else is cutting a later car with the big windows!The build looks good keep the progress comming!
jaywiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #58
Budreaux
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palepainter View Post
It may be a bit late to ask, but where is all your bracing to keep that door opening dimensions the same? If I remember correctly from your earlier shots, you have bad gaps as a result of the lack of bracing. You may want to throw both of the doors on and recheck the gaps and get some bracing across the door openings on the inside.
I actually have the ass end jacked up and supported right now. That was the first thing i did when I got it down here and started working on it again. I got the door alignment/gaps straightened out but instead of welding in the supports (the proper thing to do), I opted to just keep it on the jack and support. I've been rechecking it as I move along, so far it has stayed put. Thanks for the concern....I should have welded in the supports to start with.
Old September 17th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #59
Budreaux
Forum Member

Well, got an early start this morning, trying to beat the heat. I was able to tie in the full length of the passenger side. Overall I'm rather happy with the results. I tweaked teh drip rail and I think it looks pretty dern straight. I'm excited to get started on the other side.

Now, that being said, I do have a little area of concern that I should be able to tweak and make it visually blend better. Have a loot and the rear side window frame.

See the circled area....it dips a little..I was able to take most of the dip out with the radius aligning, but not entirely..I'll have to do some relief cutting and squeeze it in...any suggestions on a better method?
Old September 17th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #60
AirheadZim
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

tap tap tap tap tap gently with a body hammer in just the right spot(s). Seen it done many times but only done it a few times myself.
Zim'rod (zim'-rod)n.- a handbuilt Volkswagen hotrod or jalopy, sometimes a pick-up, from several different years of the classic German automobile. In particular, 67', 69', 72', and 74' model years. Built from the realm of an insane mind, with a volksrod theme or style. Thank you bugdust.
Daily driver: 91' Cadillac Brougham.
AirheadZim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #61
Budreaux
Forum Member

Ok, got to work on the driver side this afternoon. Here is what we had to work with starting off.... yuck.

I had made a template of the passenger side window to use as a reference to get the same geometry and height on both sides.

I opted to cutout the section and relocate the B-pillar as a whole section instead of cutting just the B pillar and moving it. I know it worked out well for Fernon's chop, but having already done it one way on the opposite side, I felt confident I could get it right on this side.

After the relocation, I ended up with the same intersection problem on the otherside. However, this time I left some space to play with and then cut out a smooth square section and made a matching filler piece from the donor roof section.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

The full length of the sections I worked.....

Drip rail looks straight..

All in all, a pretty productive day. Tomorrow I'll try and get the C pillar section buttoned up with some one piece fillers and then tie the windshield all back together. Hopefully by Sunday evening the roof will be completed.

Last edited by Budreaux; September 17th, 2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old September 17th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #62
Budreaux
Forum Member

OK, I was to restless to just give up for the evening...sooo....
I test fitted the windshield framing and then places the original roof section on to check the roof curve. I'm so stoked...the roof line fits damn near perfect with minimal persuasion. Feels good to finally see the work coming together and looking like you wanted it to.

OK, I promise, I'm done posting pics for the night.....sorry, just excited with a sense of accomplishment right now...it'll pass.
Old September 17th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #63
Daddy o's 67
Forum Member

Post away. No need to apoligize for putting up lots of photo's of your work. Your doing a greatg job!
Daddy o's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #64
fernon
Forum Member

Budreaux,
The chops comming along real nice, just keep working that metal, everything is starting to come together, the roof line is starting to take shape and flowing real nice. Keep up the great work and if you need anything just let me know...

Forum Members Comments (Fernon's Chop)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Why do you have to "put your two cents in,"
but it's only a "penny for your thoughts"?
Where's that extra penny going to?

Just remember saying I'm sorry and appologizing are the same thing.
Unless you are at a funeral.
fernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #65
markh
Forum Member

Keep at it...you're almost done. Look really good.
markh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #66
Budreaux
Forum Member

Thanks guys..I really appreciate the positive vibes....I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel this afternoon.
Got a little late of a start...decided to get a little extra rest this morning before starting up again. Daughter had a 3 hour softball practice last night till 10pm.
Anyways...I've started fitting the roof in and tacking it into place. Everything looks pretty dern straight..or rather, curved...lol.

Gonna do a few things inside before the family gets back and to avoid some of the afternoon heat. I may very well have that damn roof all tied in before this day is over after all.

I've not yet tacked the front side of the roof to the windshield framing in the middle. I need to do some tweaking to the frame in that area to get it to where I'm happy with it. Learning more and more as I move along. Little imperfections along the joints can be knocked out right after the tack is done, I'm assuming because the surrounding metal is hot and is more pliable to shape.

Last edited by Budreaux; September 19th, 2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old September 19th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #67
Palepainter
Forum Member

Nice!!!! The rear side glass opening is looking better.
Old September 19th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #68
Budreaux
Forum Member

Well, sadly I did not finish up the roof today..too many other things had ot get done today along the way. However, I am very close. I'm extremely happy with ow the roof is flowing and as I tie in the back side it just seems to follow a natural curve....I'm stoked.
I'm sure I'll do it again, but for now, I really want to thanks everyone on this site that has posted up their progress/project threads for those of us trying to get the courage to do something like to follow along with. You guys have been a wealth of knowledge and I can;t thank you enough for helping me along the way. I know it is a little premature, but I can see the finished roof already and the rest of the work is easy in comparison to what I'm had to do up to this point.
So, THANKS...again.

It started out as a 4" chop because everything I read said that anything more than that starts getting much more difficult. I ended up with 6 inches in the front....

Old September 19th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #69
tirezan
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Wow Budreaux, thats one sweet chop. Very impressive metalwork. I cant wait to see more.
tirezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:29 PM   #70
Budreaux
Forum Member

Well, had to go to Dallas today, so I didn't get to work on finishing the rear of the roof till late...I set up some lights and worked on her a couple of hours.
I have two small 1" strips down each side to fill in tomorrow and it is basically a solid roof again. Then I'll need to buff all the seams down to bare metal and start buttoning her up solid. Little filler and I think the roof will look just great.
The different color roofs meeting at the joints gives the illusion of a bubble top, but the radius' meet up pretty clean and once it is all one color, it should look pretty smooth.

Little further back and it all blends a little better.

So, I know it;s a bit dark, and I'll get some cleaner shots tomorrow morning with some light out, but I think the back lighting shows the contour of the roof pretty well.... what do you guys think about the shape...did I get it right?

I love the height and I haven't even lowered the front end yet. The windshield just gives it that mean little look.

I still have some tweaking to do to that upper middle windshield frame, but I haven;t tacked that section of the roof yet, to allow for the tweaking.

Last edited by Budreaux; September 22nd, 2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 04:44 AM   #71
Steve White
Forum Member

damn that look sweet. It always amazes me seeing how a chop just pulls all the lines in a bug together and just making everything look correct. You did a real nice job on it!

Don't argue with idiots, people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Steve White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:36 AM   #72
Budreaux
Forum Member

Ok, I'm at a crossroads of sorts. I my mind, I want to do this project as correct as possible. I'm building her on a budget, so the timeline is expanded. I said in the beginning that I wanted to lead fill and not use plastic fillers. In reading through the projects here, lead filling seems to be rare. Why is that and am I over thinking the process. I know I see shows like Overhauled and Barry White\s body shops using what I believe is plastic fillers. I have a can of MasterPro finishing body filler from O'Reilly's. Has anyone used that before or can you guys give me some insight on the direction I should go for a finished job that I will not have to come back and redo months or so down the road.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:05 AM   #73
alykat
Site Supporter

There is an art to lead work. Best done under supervision by some one with experience the first time, though not something that can't be done without. With bondo the biggest problems are starting with a clean surface and getting your mixture right. Anyone can do it.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:17 AM   #74
Budreaux
Forum Member

The learning curve doesn;t worry me...hell, this is the first time I've ever done any type of welding or body modifications to a car...I'm not afraid to give it a shot. I've watched a few videos on lead filling and the new product that is lead-free seems to be a great way to go about filling in. I'm not dead set on doing it, I'm just trying to figure out the pros and cons of each method.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:41 AM   #75
fungus
Forum Member

Major reasons I can think of why to not use lead fill:

More materials
Costs more
More time consuming
Metal has to be PERFECTLY clean
Weighs more (it adds up when you've got to fill in low spots!)

Bondo's cheap and easy, although I think it's difficult to work with. It'll crack as time goes on, which leadfill won't. It'll take a lot longer, but it'll be done right! Go for it if you like.

It's just like a good weld though, make sure you do all the prep work very well!