Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:08 PM   #76
Bama Bill
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: 67' chop.......

Plastic filler is more economical. Easier to redo if you goof up. Just don't get it to thick. Leading is almost a lost art. Bill Hines still dose it alot. He's in his 80s. I'm going to plug a good forum that I'm a member of. There are a few others on here that are members as well. The HAMB has a lot of very knowlegable members that don't mind helping.Just be sure to stay on topic and that is traditional hotrods. Use the search feature and do an intro.
Bama Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:12 PM   #77
Bama Bill
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Oh,I forgot to mention. Nice job on that chop. I don't think you will have a problem with finish work. I would like to chop mine.
Bama Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 12:34 PM   #78
Budreaux
Forum Member

Well, I think I'm done with all the adjusting, so I finally started to stitch her all up. I really can;t afford to get my gas setup right now, so I'm forced to just use the flux core wire and go slow. I'm moving around the care, side to side, in an effort to minimize any warping as I go along. A little bang here and there and everything seems to line up pretty well. I'm going to have to invest in a hammer/dolly set soon. The joints will need a little messaging to minimize the mud work. I'm really enjoying this and it;s rather relaxing at this point. The stress of hoping it comes out all proper seems to have subsided and is now behind me.

Here's a few pics of the stitching I've done today, before I ran out of wire....

I'm happy with the overall height ....

Please, feel free to leave feedback if you see anything being done that doesn't look right...I'm learning as I go with this project.
Budreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 01:18 PM   #79
garlos
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

"I'm learning as I go with this project."

I'm learning from your posts!

:-) nice work man

BTW, your last pic is great - would make a killer Volksrod poster or calendar.

Last edited by garlos; October 2nd, 2010 at 01:21 PM.
garlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 02:19 PM   #80
Budreaux
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlos View Post
"I'm learning as I go with this project."

I'm learning from your posts!

:-) nice work man
If I can somehow manage to give a member some help. then posting the pics is worth it. This place has been a wealth of help for me as I venture into this project. It gave me the confidence to buy a welder and and try and learn this art form.... ..... still have a LOT to learn, but I sure am glad I gave it a shot.

Quote:
BTW, your last pic is great - would make a killer Volksrod poster or calendar.
This one was with a filter on my Droid phone....

Last edited by Budreaux; October 2nd, 2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 06:50 PM   #81
Palepainter
Forum Member

That beer is full Mr......
Old October 3rd, 2010, 04:51 PM   #82
Daddy o's 67
Forum Member

Lookin real good. Just keep taking your time to minimize the welding warpage. Oh yeah, I'm with Palepainter...beer is to full in that shot .
Daddy o's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #83
Budreaux
Forum Member

Well, after having ran out of wire on Friday, I finally got another spool and a few other odds and ends to do some more of the tasks.
Today's task is this.

As you can see, the alignment is an issue. I am able to realign it with some pressure, but it doesn't hold because there is no metal on the inner channel to support it and give it strength. If you remember, I had an issue moving the bug down here to Texas and lost part of the roof. That part of the roof would have had the metal channel I needed to fill in with, but since I lost it, I've had to figure out a way to correct this.

I'm gonna have to try and make the piece myself.
Here is the contour I'm looking to try and reproduce. I just need to match the bottom half of this, luckily.

So, I took a piece of the roof that was left over and cut out a piece big enough to fill in the are. Roughly bent the inner edge and curved it around a column of my car port.
I ended up with this to start with.

Now, I don't have the proper tools to do this correctly, so bare with me over the next few pics and try not to laugh at me too much.

Ended up coming out pretty close.

Test fitted it into place.

Looks about right.

Tacked into place.

Cleaned up the edges a bit.

Roof alignment looks good. Now I have to move to the other side and do it all over again.

Old October 6th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #84
ThrasherBill
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Nice work using tools and materials that you do have to make something you don't! Now we need a cut, bend, weld smiley!

And sorry but I had to....

a silent neighbor lady watching bremelo seeking canadian pinstriping lurker~

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't worry about other people.Most of them don't care about you.
ThrasherBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #85
Budreaux
Forum Member

After finishing the other side of the roof, I decided to go ahead and correct the driver side A pillar. When I put the donor roof on, my cuts were not as accurate as previously made with the original roof.

So, I went ahead and cut out a small section to square it all up.

Then I cut a filler piece from the original posts I had cut out. (I've not tossed out any of the original cuttings as of yet...they come in handing along the way it seems.)

Checked alignment and welded her in.

Calling it a day after this. Feels good to make a little progress.

Tomorrow I need to address the driver side door gap. Seems the ass end wound up sagging a bit before I buttoned her up tight. Passenger side looks all square. Luckily I've not yet done the C pillar filler piece, so I'll just make a few cuts and hopefully get a good alignment. Just need an 1/8" to close the gap proper. I could probably just leave it be and it would be fine, but I'm plagued with a perfectionist mentality.
More tomorrow.

Last edited by Budreaux; October 6th, 2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #86
Daddy o's 67
Forum Member

Lookin good.
Old October 7th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #87
Budreaux
Forum Member

Kinda slow getting motivated today. I did finally get started around lunch time though. Managed to get the driver side door framing installed.

I'm hoping that once it is in primer and all one color that the lines look better. I think the various colors are playing with my eyes. I've measured and measured and measured all during this to make sure things lined up right, but something just looks off. It's probably me being overly critical of my work (common for me).

Anyways, I really need for someone to try and get me two measurements. I started a thread earlier today to get this info, but no luck as of yet...but folks have to work and can;t always get a request that fast.
I need these measurements, if anyone can help me out, so I can verify I'm all good.

In the meantime, I piddled around with some of the inside alignments.

The driver side door framing.......I did screw up my first cut and ended up having to use a filler piece, creating a 2nd weld joint. Something I've been trying to minimize. Stupid rookie mistake..took my measurement with the top edge against the lower edge and it came up 1/2 inch short when line up...

So, after correcting that, I moved to the inner wall of the door framing.

That's bout it for today.... not very productive, but at least it was some progress.
Old October 7th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #88
garlos
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Man, you are no rookie with the way you are handing that metal, great work
garlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #89
bigbeardedbastard
Forum Member

i like how you fixed the door pillars.....the previous owner of mine did the chop. the chop itself looks great but some of the finer touches on the interior were left undone..........your chop project has been awesome to watch though keep up the great work!

BBB
Old October 8th, 2010, 04:46 AM   #90
Budreaux
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlos View Post
Man, you are no rookie with the way you are handing that metal, great work
LoL...I assure you, I am a rookie at this. This is my first time to do this in fact. I did a ton of research and reading before I attempted this project. I am flattered by your comments, but I have a lot to learn and as long as the talented folks here on this sight continue to post and give advice as they do, I'll learn a lot more.

It feels good to see it all come together and look like it does....I am very happy and proud that I've been able to get this far with it. Ya'lls compliments are the icing on the cake though.... so thanks again.
Old October 9th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #91
Desert Fox
Forum Member

I just started mine today and some of your pics have been very informative. I still have a lot of fear and your work has shown me a few tricks to keep in mind.
Old October 10th, 2010, 04:19 AM   #92
Budreaux
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Fox View Post
I just started mine today and some of your pics have been very informative. I still have a lot of fear and your work has shown me a few tricks to keep in mind.
FEAR??????!!!!!! Let me tell you, the day I finally started to do this chop, I walked in and out of the garage at least a dozen times, looking at the overall roof and holding saw in my hands. I'd put it down and walk back inside and come look again in 30 minutes or so. I finally made the first cut and there was no looking back.

Once you get started and things start flowing, you'll quickly get over the fear and begin filling with excitement.

If there is anything I can do to help you out, just ask....I'm by no means an authority on the subject, but I have made plenty of mistakes along the way with this one that I had to step back and correct.

Go slow, take your time, double check your lines before cutting, and please wear eye protection.

I may hold some sort of record for a time span on a chop top.... ... this thing has taken a long time so far, but the mistakes that have slowed me down have also given me some good insight and experience for future projects....
If something in my pics doesn't make since, just ask, I'll let ya know if it was a screw up I had to fix or if there was a reason for it....I've incorporated several different methods for doing this chop....the guys here have provided me with a lot of information for doing mine and I would be very pleased to offer any of that insight to you or anyone else that wants to know.

Last edited by Budreaux; October 10th, 2010 at 04:33 AM.
Old October 10th, 2010, 05:28 AM   #93
c1run1
Forum Member

Looking good she's going to be a looker when your done .
77 dodge Chopped Morgan
2011 chevy HD
c1run1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #94
Budreaux
Forum Member

Well, finally got some time to work on the bug today. I have a 3 day work weekend every other weekend.....

So, today it was time to tackle a hack job from previously in the build. I've intentionally hid it in my postings...

The passenger side B pillar. Was a terrible alignment and missed cut early on. Today I'm gonna put it right..I hope.

So, here is the messed up area.

Nasty, huh..... I told you this is my first time to do this kind of work...lol.

So, I used a jack to hold the rear window framing in place and to allow me to give it a slight raise while I cut and fitted the piece. I cut the center section loose and squared up the ends a bit better to allow for some play in aligning the edges. Then I tacked it to the lower section.

With the center section properly aligned to the lower, I then starting aligning the top section.
I had to use some persuasion to get it to hold where I needed it so I could tack it into place. Thank goodness for vice grips and the such.

Here you can see where the top section just didn;t want to line up like the rest...I simply pushed it in with a flathead screwdriver to line it all up so I could tack it into place with the other hand.

Tacked it up real good and removed the grips to check alignment...everything looks good.

Then I used a technique I learned from markh on his 37 volkster build to close it all up.

Now, with the outside alignments looking correct it's time to start on the interior alignment.

Did a couple of cuts and also removed the center section since I had a fair amount of tweaking to do..more on that in a minute.

Made a lateral cut to allow the bottom section to lean in without bending everything in the wrong directions.

Pulled the bottom half in tight and held it in place with the vice grips so I could check alignment and then tack it up.

Ok, so remember the center section I cut out? I separated the two pieces to allow for trimming and positioning.

After getting that piece trimmed up to fit just right, I tacked it in place and then closed everything up.

Cleaned up all the globbing (just like markh said to do ) and called it a day.

I think it came out pretty good. Have some finishing work to do still to make it look nice and purty, but nothing that can;t be done with filling and sanding.

Last edited by Budreaux; October 12th, 2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old October 12th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #95
volksmike
Forum Member

Bravo sir...

Hey Man, ya wanna see something dangerous?
volksmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #96
Palepainter
Forum Member

Looking good. Nothing a bit of mud won't cure.
Old October 12th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #97
mikeridesbikes
Forum Member

handled it like a champ i'd say
Old October 12th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #98
Daddy o's 67
Forum Member

Looking damn good. You sure you haven't done this before?
Old October 16th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #99
Budreaux
Forum Member

Well, I've looked at the gap long enough....finally did it, as much as I didn;t want to have to...

But, at least I now have less than a 1/4" gap at the door jams.

I'll start stitching her back up this evening.

This has been a very valuable lesson learned on my part.
Anyone else reading this, please remember...BRACE your door opening (front to back and left to right) before starting to do any cutting. It may not look important at the beginning, but trust me, it is.

Last edited by Budreaux; October 16th, 2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old October 16th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #100
Budreaux
Forum Member

Do you ever get the feeling that no matter how much progress you make, you'll never finish the damn thing.

I started lining the roof back up to rejoin it after getting the door jam gaps corrected and then I notice a very subtle difference between the front half and the rear half of the roof. The difference was in the arc and when I pulled them together I got a warp on one side or the other. So, in true form, I opted to open up the side seam and let it relax. That corrected that alignment and allows me to address the side seams that I was going to try and hammer and dolly into a better radius. I'll still need to use a hammer and dolly, but I can now take some of the beating that will be needed out of the process. Seems like a positive but I swear it feels more like a step back than forward.
In the end it should be an overall better job and that is what;s important......I'm just so ready to see it in a solid color again, even if it is just a primer coat.