Newest Member: THarr

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old October 16th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #101
Palepainter
Forum Member

Default Re: 67' chop.......

Maybe keep an eye out for a ragtop section. Try to get as much of the rag roof as possible. Take your time, take a few deep breaths, take a few steps back from time to time. You will be fine.
Old October 16th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #102
Budreaux
Forum Member

I'm fine really....the initial plan was to install a rag top, if I could find one. Since I've not had much luck finding one that I can afford right now, I've been forced to give the top the extra attention and time to ensure it looks all proper when I'm done.
I took yesterday off and most of today, but I couldn't stop myself from working on it today...we'll see about tomorrow, well, tomorrow.
I'm excited for you getting yours in paint though..she;s looking great.
Budreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #103
Budreaux
Forum Member

Thanks to prostreetnotch for posting his ideas and photoshop work of his future build. I used his original photo for a basis of my changes to show the direction I am headed with mine, once I finally get back on it.....unemployment is a biatch.

The obvious is teh chopped top, which i am basically done with..still have some interior joints to smooth out.

I then need to widen the rear fenders 4", which I intend to do myself instead of opting for fiberglass bolt ons. The idea is to rework the front fender and form it into a widened running board, making the front fender, running board, and rear fender one piece.

This all means that I'll need to suicide the doors so I can reshape the front edge to allow the clearance of the reworked front fender.

My mind has been working this out over and over for the last month, all I need now is the financing to get it done....something should open up soon, now that the new year has started.

Old February 4th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #104
67vwnv
Forum Member

I love to see someone else doing a 67. I'm at the beginning of my build but just know I'm going to use yours as my main reference guide. I love the back windows and I'm also not doing a rag, looks like a lot of work ahead but cant wait to see the progress. One day at a time it might be done by next year.
67vwnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 06:02 AM   #105
Budreaux
Forum Member

As long as you cut a nice wide and lengthy center section from the donor roof, the overall shape of the roof is fairly easy to maintain. I'm hoping to get back on mine this spring. Unemployment put a quick halt on the progress but that looks like it is soon coming to an end.

I'm still considering the rag top and fully intend to go with one. My mistake was not bracing the car at enough points and the ass end sagged on me. The fabrication to repair that was not done the best way, looking back at it. I cut across the center of the roof and lost my perfect curve. I'll be able to correct it, but the addition of a ragtop would make it so much easier to correct and was always part of my original vision for the car.
The rear windows just made sense to me to do it that way. Not sure if my way is common or not, but the radius' were much easier to match on both sides and the fit was near perfect.
If ya have any questions, feel free to ask. I don't mind talking about my mistakes as long as it helps others from making the same ones.
Thanks for the comments.
Old February 6th, 2011, 04:11 AM   #106
Desert Fox
Forum Member

^^^^ Yes when i cut the donor roof for the center section i cut from body line to body line and front to back. Then you can move for and aft to get the best flow. Tack it where you want it, Grab your 4" cutting disk and slice down the sides slicing both pieces at once. You will get a perfect fit and any imperfections can be hammered out while wleding.
Old February 24th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #107
Budreaux
Forum Member

Well, been doing a lot of work with the hammer and dolly. Mostly learning how to do it...got a great deal on the full set at HF for $20. Somehow the cashier took off $20 instead of 20% and it was already on sale.

Anyways, I've been doing a lot of detail work, trying to smooth out the seams best I can to minimize the amount of filler.

I went ahead and painted the whole top in spray can black primer. Everything just looked a mess otherwise and i couldn't figure out which direction was which, plus the rust seems to pop up overnight if I don't cover my days work with it.

Rolled it out in the front yard to get a better overall view of what I had to deal with.

It isn't obvious in these pics, but there is some real issue with the driver side roof line. I'm slowing correcting it, but it may require cutting out a section and replacing it with a new piece. The damn thing just flattened out on me in the process of welding it up. truth be known, I rushed the welding and shrunk the piece.

Anyways, instead of a play by play, I'll jsut post a few pics of what I've been working on over the past weeks or so. It's going slow, but the results are really nice seams that will require a very minimal amount of filler, ot at least so it appears to be, so far.

Driver side door jam all lined up. Still may need a minor amount of tweaking to get the inside edge looking more correct.

The rear window area has been setting unfinished for some time. I went ahead and stitched it all up along the top edge and then went to work on smoothing and flattened the seams. Still needs some minor dolly work, but it;s hard to get in to that seam due to the inside roof channel.

The good thing is, even though there is still a lot of smoothing to do, the roof channel lines are straight and will require a very minimal amount of attention.

Here it is on the underside. The edges line up nice and the curve looks good, but directly above it is where my bad flat spot is. Still trying to get it out to an acceptable shape without having to cut a new piece...time will tell.

Got the driver side rear window lined up and smoothed out. Looks a lot better. Will need a little filler to make it look completely correct, but overall, I'm happy with it. Forgive the pic quality, I just can;t get the dern sun glare out of it.

I still have the main seam running across the roof to take care of. I'm tempted to just cut out and replace it with a 4" wide section. Saving that for later as well, for now.

Also need to fill in the driverside rear quarter section and align the top.

That's it for now. Making progress and I know it seems subpar to you pros, but I'm inching my way to the results I want, little by little. I know there are still some rough areas, but when i'm done, this top will be smooth, or I'll die trying.

Last edited by Budreaux; February 24th, 2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 04:33 PM   #108
Budreaux
Forum Member

Well, been more of the piddling going on. I did go ahead and close up the passenger side rear window area today.

Gonna go ahead and tackle that flat spot in the roof tomorrow I think.
Wish me luck.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:25 PM   #109
Budreaux
Forum Member

Well, I said I was gonna do it and by god I went ahead and did it. I have grown tired of beating that damn area to try and get the shape back to it. I've done more stress to the metal than anything so I decided to go ahead and try to replace it one more time and take it slow.

I cut out the entire section that I had previously welded in this area.

Where you see that other piece of metal laying across the roof is where I had the big dip at.

I cut the weld joints open at either end, as both h ad a dip to one degree or another.

I used an old piece of the original roof to get the proper curve back to the roof at this joint. Tacked it into place while I layed out the new section for proper cutting.

With the new piece roughed in, I tacked down the bottom side and the ends, then cut through both pieces of the roof along the top edge. Then I tacked that edge in place and slowly worked my way around the piece. Cutting one edge, tacking it, then moving to the next edge.

Once I had it all tacked it, I slowly, and I mean slowly, worked my way around the perimeter of the panel, tacking a single spot every 4 inches or so. After every full pass, I would take my rubber hammer and gentle tap the full length of the seams to keep the curve proper between the two pieces. Time consuming, yes, but the end result was a perfect fitting piece that retained the roof curve as intended.

I'm very pleased with the end result. I learned a lot in having to deal with the problem. I also cut out a small section along the drip rail that had been beaten and welded so many times that it felt like tissue paper. Couldn't get a good pic of that before it got too dark, so it'll have to wait till tomorrow.

One more thing I wanna add, just in case someone is actually learning from my mistakes. I've been welding and smoothing these seams over and over again, trying to get the perfect union. It's overkill!!!!!!! I finally went back over a few articles I had previously read before doing this and also looked over several other projects...Markh's truck was the one that made me realize I had forgotten about the everglas filler. It's what you use to seal up all those little pinholes I've been stressing over. So, next weekend, provided no unseen circumstances arise, I hope to be sealing all the joints up with a layer of everglas and then start filling in the low spots, what few I have left.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:36 PM   #110
rodderdan
Forum Member

Good job replacing that warped area.Some would have said fuck it and piled on the Bondo.I always use Marglass or some other brand of waterproof filler for the first coat to take care of any pin holes.Lookin good.
rodderdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:08 PM   #111
67vwnv
Forum Member

hey let me know how much of everglass i need to buy please
67vwnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 05:09 AM   #112
Desert Fox
Forum Member

As always looking good

When you get done I'll let you finish the top on Ilsa. I'll pick up plenty of Lime Bud
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #113
Budreaux
Forum Member

Well, here we go again. I shifted my attention to the hood yesterday. The alignment has always been off, but I just assumed it was going to be an adjustment at the hinges.
Well, now I'm 99% certain it isn;t going to be that easy of a fix. It appears that it has been hit in the front driver side of the front clip.

After seeing the indent there, you can look at the edge alignment of the hood to the fender bolt sections. That's a really significant difference.

Looking form the side, there is this gap thatn I'm nearly positive isn;t suppose to be there. The hood should be resting on the body completely here, correct?

So, I guess I need to start looking for a front clip now...... just when I was finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel......

Last edited by Budreaux; March 23rd, 2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #114
Budreaux
Forum Member

Maybe this project is trying to tell me to go fenderless????
I really want teh wide fender look, but doing an extension and cutting out up here would allow me to realign everything without the need for a replacement clip.
Old March 16th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #115
Palepainter
Forum Member

If you go fenderless, it will be a snap to straighten out your gaps.
Old March 16th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #116
bigguy
Forum Member

It looks like the apron is bent up just slightly near the nose more). I am betting with a little finesse to the apron and maybe a little persuasion to the clip it would be ok. These things move alot with little work.
Old March 16th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #117
Budreaux
Forum Member

Yeah, I've spent the entire afternoon out there looking at it. I can't find any crimps, bends, or other indications that this thing has been hit hard. The nose is obviously out of kilter, but I think with some work I can get it straight. I remember the PO telling me that the body was only being held on by a couple of bolts. Tomorrow I'm going to build some stands and get the body off the pan and make sure it isn't twisted somewhere first and that letting it all relax doesn't cure most of it. If not, I'll start with a little banging here and there. If I can;t force it, then I'll start disassembling the welds at the nose and giving myself the movement needed to get it straight.
I've had a vision for this car from the very beginning. I'll be damned if I take the easy way out at this point. I want a fenderless ride, but this one wasn't meant to be that car.
Old March 18th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #118
Budreaux
Forum Member

Ok, fixed the passenger side rear quarter. As you can see there is a pretty bad gap and angle at this joint.

So, I cut a matching piece from my donor roof clip and made a few cuts so I could better form the contour.

Tacked her in place to check alignment and do a little tapping here and there.

Then I tacked all the cuts up.

Didn't take a pic of the finished job, but you'll see it in the next post.

Old March 18th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #119
Budreaux
Forum Member

Ok, I'm a happy camper to finally see this thing at this stage.
I completely sanded down the top today and pulled it out in the yard to treat the roof with Prep and Etch. I just rolled it on and left it for about 30 minutes.

Note the rear quarter window frame from the last post.

Then I washed it down and used a damp rag to remove all residue.
Then I stood back and had such a sense of accomplishment that I had to share it with all of you.

Here are a couple of close up shots so you can see that I still have a little tweaking to do, but I could get away with it as is and use filler. Wanting to keep filler to a bare minimum, I'll go ahead and work it a little more, but overall, I'm fucking happy.

Then my son wanted to get in on the fun....I told him to give me some attitude.....

I know I've said it before, but I wanna say it again...THANK ALL OF YOU for feeding me the courage I needed to take this on....I couldn't have done it without all the talent that has posted here.
I have a lot to do still, but this was the biggest hurdle for me..it's downhill from here.

Tomorrow I'll try and pull the body off and start disassembling the nose section to get all that lined back up proper.

Old March 18th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #120
Daddy o's 67
Forum Member

I have to say you have done a great job. You've kept plugging at it when most would have given up. To this I salute you!

By the way.....I can't believe you cut up a 67!
Daddy o's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #121
ccstud17
Forum Member

DAMN!!!!!!!! that looks super sweet, makes me actually want to go try to get mine done... your lines came out really nice, and good work of biting the bullet and redoing that section. Id say it paid off! :thumbs:

The Ramen Racer build thread
ccstud17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #122
Palepainter
Forum Member

Great recovery on the top!!
Old March 19th, 2011, 04:54 AM   #123
Jon
Forum Member

Looks great. love the height.

Sometimes when you get a spot that is not quite working the way you wanted its usually time to move on to omthing else and give that part a break. then when your not thinking about it a solution comes out of no where.

Most people give up or just leave it.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #124
Budreaux
Forum Member

Well, I made a couple stands this morning so I could separate the body from the frame. Was an interesting time since my son decided he wanted to be part of this today and I always welcome that. Unfortunately he isn;t the most coordinated and, well, it took about twice as long to do it with his help...but hey, I think he learned a little something out of the ordeal.

Rolled the pan out and he decided he wanted to start cleaning up all the metal filings that had fallen into it and started rusting.

Then I set to removing all the paint from the front nose section so I could see exactly what was going on and also so it would expose the spot weld points better.

Here you can see the slight twist and crease from taking a hit. This also explains why he didn't have the fender for that side, huh.

Spot welds exposed.

drilled the spot welds open and then pulled the nose section forward.

Stopped here for the evening so I can get some yard work done. But, I quickly realized that I'm going to have to take all the spot welds apart so I have full freedom to move the panels. The drill holes will help in reassembly so that I know I have everything back squared up and in the correct original alignment prior to the damage...that's my plan and theory anyways.
Anyone have any secrets to popping the welds out any easier or faster..there are a shitload of them.

Lot's of work to get this nose section realigned all proper.
Old March 20th, 2011, 01:25 AM   #125
Desert Fox
Forum Member

I like using drill bits that start out with a small pilot and step up to the size you are goint to use. Some people have told me to use a full stepper bit the one that looks like a christmas tree. The thing abought say using a 3/8 with a starter pilot is most of the time the hole in the second pice of metal is the size of the pilot. This is because the step up is flat and once it clears the first peice the weld will normaly break loose. Sorry abought the shitty spelling it is early. One way or the other it is a tedious process. I took the cowl off of my Chevrolet like this and replaced a section in the lower cowl that rusted out from years of debris.