Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,386
Total Online: 664

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by RichG
- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3

Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:48 PM   #26
max16v
Forum Member

Default Re: Der Straßenkratzer

I'm soooo close to start chopping this car up! So close...

I cleaned out the cab, removed the hood, measuring and masked the pillars, and masked off where the bulk head will be cut for the channel job.

I'm waiting for my buddy (yes, the crazy fucker with the wire snips in an above picture) so he can help adjust the rear suspension (sitting on the bump stops) up a notch to get the car off the ground . Then we can get started separating the pans and doing some serious cutting.

This next part has nothing to do with working on my car, just an amusing piece of info.

I was a tad distracted by that constantly drunk neighbor who always harasses the other neighbors, but all the while me being completely amused. He staggered over to my garage tonight to see the progress on my car. While he was there, I gave him a beer (intentionally brought an extra since he's usually drunk, pretty close to drunk or drinking his way to drunk when I see him) and he started sharing stores about his childhood. One story was about his dad in San Qutentin and skipping town and about his brother in prison for some stupid shit. This guy is one rough looking m/f'er in his mid 60's, with tattoos on all exposed skin, but he's a cool guy, very humble, and with interesting stories (but constantly interrupts himself to harass some hot chicks walking down the street ). I should just keep a mini fridge in my garage so I can swap a beer for some more crazy stories.
'56 Royal Enfield Super Meteor -The NorField
'69 T1 "Das Straßenzerstörer"
'86 Scirocco 16vT
max16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #27
max16v
Forum Member

I finally got my ass in gear and started the chop!

I spent the last couple days making sure all of my cuts were measured out perfectly and planning out a corse of action.
Eventually I'll get my buddy back out in the garage to help me separate the pans and start the Letherman Chop.

Before I started cutting the car up, I finished up adjusting the spring plates since those bastards were sitting on the bump stops. I assumed that since there was no suspension play, that the pan would have some warping without the body which would cause major headaches when I get the body ready to put back on.

This is pre-sawzall:

I also welded up the doors:

Here's what she looks like now:

I only took 5" out of the front, really. I didn't have a helper to get that damn roof off.

Gettin' anxious waiting for tomorrow...

Oh yeah, working in a single car garage sucks ass
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #28
max16v
Forum Member

Alright ladies and gents... more progress!

Got the roof off the body, which was done by myself and a huge pain in the rear.

Also got the pan separated from the body
I know that all the members that read this don't really read, just look at the pictures. So, for all of those who do that, including myself, are in luck. I'm taking as many pics of the progress as possible for myself and you. Enjoy.

Sadly, this is the end of tonight's progress update. I will be attending the Pomona Swap Meet on Sunday and afterwards will be starting the Letherman chop with help from my buddy. Expect some good shit then.

If I score some cool stuff at the swap or take pics of some cars, I'll post 'em.

Edit: Pictures of the swap meet as promised.
'86 Scirocco 16vT

Last edited by max16v; March 10th, 2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: PICS OF THE SWAP MEET!
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #29
max16v
Forum Member

No work was done yesterday after the swap; too pooped.

I scored a set of Lever Arm Shocks for $30 bucks off of a 1940 Chevy.

The only progress of tonight (no pics...) was getting the front bulkhead cut and ready for the channeling job, I cut the seat mounts off but still needs some grinding to get the pan smoothed, and also cleaned out the "C" pillars/ roof of that foam shit. I did more measuring and taped up the areas that will be cut down the center of the car.

Tommorrow's agenda:
- Finish cutting/grinding seat sliders
- Cut the pan halfs
- Narrow the body and start the spot welding

I usually only have about 2-3 hours of actual work on the car which makes progress slowwwww. This weekend should guarantee lots more work that would be done to the car.
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #30
max16v
Forum Member

Finally! Some real work has begun. Started out with a 6 pack of Guiness and an ichy sawzall finger. I began with cutting out the seat sliders and grinding as much as I could on the pieces sitting closest to the doors so when I get the body narrowed,the mounts wouldn't interfere.
After the seat sliders were finished, I did some more measuring on the body and sliced that fucker down the middle. It was about 8:30 when the beer ran out, and with a decent buzz, I decided to call it quits. I was about half way to my apartment when my buddy calls up and wants to work on my car. I was a little unsure about the work but he wanted to see the project. We were hanging out in the garage when he leaves to get something from his house. He walks back with MORE BEER and a huge motivation to work on my car...(9pm at that point.) We got started by pulling the car half out in the driveway and I started to tack weld the body, using the roof as a guideline. Much to our surprise, the roof and body matched up pretty damn well.

PICTURES OF THIS MADNESS.

And here's the best one yet. That mystery drunk old neighbor that I mention a lot... I coerced him into taking a picture with me. I used his Jack 'n Coke as ransom.

Tell me what you guys think. If anyone has some helpful hints with a channeling job, let me know.
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old March 15th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #31
max16v
Forum Member

Nick and I accomplished more work tonight:

-Cut out the luggage tray in preparation for the channel job.
-Started welding the B & C pillars after chopping the front portion of the hood off to lengthen it.
-Welded up about 3/4 of the body holes to give the car a smoother look.
-Almost finished the front half of the car with the welding/ grinding. It's super slow and tedious but I think all the work will definitely pay off in the end.

The batteries when in the shitter so no pics this time.
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #32
max16v
Forum Member

Got s'more shit done on the v-rod. Before getting really into the channel job, I decided to start filling in the huge holes in the heater channels so I don't get critters crawlin' around in there.

Cut some 2x4" plates out of some metal I cut out of C pillar

Then welded those things on

Started making measurements of where the RHD pedals are going. Got the M/C hole cut

After cutting the car in half, my Sawzall hand wasn't as steady as I would like so I cut out a portion that was too wide to fill in, then welded in a patch of metal.
Before: (right above the fuel tank opening)

After: (also finished up most of the welding on the front end)

Nick had loads of fun cutting out the luggage tray

Nick givin' an idea of how it's gonna roll

product placement

Pics of the C pillars getting some welds

Pic after I cut the front portion of the roof off to lengthen it.
Also filled in the trim holes on the body and gettin' them ground down.

Need some help with this one. I'll be putting on some taller tires (some Firestone 700-16 or 750-16 WWW) which will create a problem with clearance between the tire and torsion housing. Please PM me if you have any insight on how to correct this problem. Is it possible to swap out the torsion bar and spring plate from a swing axle - onto an IRS? I don't feel like buying them and finding out that they won't work. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: thanks to Hebster52 for some info on how to overcome that problem. Kudos!

Some seats I'll hope to find and run as-is. That fugly pattern somehow is attractive... I'll run them sans-headrests.

Thats it for today. Hope to get s'more work done in the very near future. ......... and someday

Alright, get outta here.
'86 Scirocco 16vT

Last edited by max16v; March 20th, 2008 at 12:04 AM. Reason: a word of thanks
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:19 PM   #33
max16v
Forum Member

I'm pretty stoked about my new my new bike that I bought off of Paul (p-nor) today. The 600+ mile trip was split into 2 days: stopping in Ventura to crash at Nick's mom's place then make the rest of the trip for the next day. It was a pretty interesting trip. We stopped off at Cheap Thrills in San Luis Obispo and picked up some records then made the rest of trip back today.
I wanted to give a thanks to p-nor for the bike and the chat.

Here's some pics for the pic whores.

Here's the bike loaded on the truck when we pulled into our apartment complex in Palm Desert

Here's it after unloading it from the truck

Messing with the manual choke...

Whoa!

I'll be fixin' the bike up to drive around while the volksrod is being worked on.

Item for the bike for now:
Carbs rebuild
Replace brake lines
Replace Throttle cables
Minor tune up (plugs, wires)
run filtered velocity stacks instead of air cleaner box
Air up the tires

Now, go do something productive, kids.
'86 Scirocco 16vT

Last edited by max16v; March 25th, 2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #34
max16v
Forum Member

This bike project is going to be a small tangent from the normal work on the v-rod but I'll still post some progress of whats being done to both (more of the bike for right now).

I ordered some parts after taking a close inspection of all the little details of the bike. I started it up (only a couple kicks) but it hesitated severely when starting off from a stop or accelerating. It is as fast as an Olympic runner with 2 left feet. Since Paul mentioned it had been sitting for a couple years, I'll go ahead and replace all the necessary items covered in a good tune-up: Plugs, wires, oil, filter, fuel, points, and condensers. I also went the extra mile and decided to replace all the cables (Push and Pull throttle cables, clutch cable), replace ALL the brake lines (2 soft lines and the hard line from the caliper), install a brand new Honda wiring harness (wires were pretty shot and strung all over the place), new hand grips (vintage looking ) and also rebuilding the carbs.

I ordered most of these items last night from a company in Canada since they had some of the things I needed. If anyone had any info on where I can find parts for a '73 Honda CB750K, let me know 'cause they are hard to find (some).

I'll order the rest of the parts off eGay if I can't find what I'm looking for elsewhere.

Here's a kick ass website of a gent that builds nothing but Cafe bikes and most of them are CB750s.
CB750 Cafe Bikes
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old April 1st, 2008, 10:08 PM   #35
max16v
Forum Member

Cool Re: Der Straßenkratzer

Hey, I'm back with s'more updates on the Cafe Bike... oh yeah.

I took an assessment of what needed to be accomplished to get this old rickety bike a'runnin, and compiled a list of items.

I wanted to replace anything that looked unhealthy or just the regular maintenance items that needed replacing. I started out with ordering the usual tune up stuff: Plugs, wires, oil/filter, etc.
After countless searching for the parts and/or decent prices, I recalled a motorcycle shop in Coachella that I frequented when I was still riding my dirt bike. I got the tune up stuff and made an order to a company in Canada that sold a majority of parts that I needed. I wanted to get the bike in good running condition without too much work to the cosmetics since I need some wheels while my v-rod is out of commission/cut in pieces.
The wiring definitely needed replacing, along with clutch/throttle cables. I am going for an old skool/vintage cafe look so those side mirrors and modern hand grips needed to GO! When I got the bike, it ran like an olympian...without legs. The carbs definitely needed some attention so I also bought a couple kits to rebuild them.

Here's some pictures before you get bored of all text. Hell, you probably wont be reading this anyway.

Engine and carbs

Engine sans-carbs

Needs a good rebuild and syncing.

New parts that I just got today!
Carb Rebuild kits, spark plug wires, new pair of points, and an extra condenser.

New Vintage style hand grips

New wiring harness and throttle cables

Before:

After installing the new grips:

Much better

Old wiring:
Did you want meatballs with that spaghetti?

New wiring harness installed:

I took out the starter switch from the handlebars/light switch assembly and ran new wires so I can have a push button switch under the seat. Since the harness can be used for numerous years of Cb750's I had to do a little cut 'n splicing to get the wiring correct and where I want it.

Les, the old drunkard neighbor felt like taking a photograph of me..

THings to do:
Finish wiring
Rebuild carbs
Install new spark plug wires
New Brake lines
New fuel lines
Cut out idiot light panel (makes the bike look "stripped down") and install new idiot lights between the speedo/tach.

More updates later.
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old April 2nd, 2008, 09:29 PM   #36
max16v
Forum Member

Default eh

Little bits more progress tonight. The wiring is proving to be a royal PITA since some of the wires aren't corresponding to the original wires still on the bike (blinkers, lights, horn, ignition...etc) which means it'll take me the rest of my life to finish it up. I'll have to do the ol' battery/ test light to trace the wires. I moved the starter switch from the handlebars to down by the keyed ignition switch since I wasn't really sure the stock one even works.

I started on the handle bar clamps tonight by chopping out the centre portion with the idiot lights and trimming off the excess with an angle grinder, then did most of the work with a hand file, then moved to some sandpaper to get it nice and smooth. Took about an hour and a half to get most of 1 clamp done.

I should get some pics tomorrow.
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #37
max16v
Forum Member

Seems like I have lost the digital camera around the house somewhere so pics will have to wait till it shows up.

It's been slow going working on the bike. The wiring is really proving to be a pain because the harness was made to be used for many years and all the extra wires are confusing the hell out of me. I'm thinking of pulling all the outer wrapping off the harness and pulling off all the unneeded wires.

Yesterday I decided to take a break from the wiring and start rebuilding the carbs, which is not an easier/time consuming task than the wiring, I wanted something new to do so I can go back to the wiring with a fresh set of eyes on it.

I bought the carb rebuild kits unknowingly that they were to be used on different years of KeiHin carbs and not specific to the year of my bike/carbs, the jets are a little off. K1-K5 CBs use the same size jets - 120 mains and 40 idles but I got 110 mains?! I gotta deal with that and run the bike till I find some bigger jets. I also have to set the jet needle height which I wont know how well the carbs are tuned until I get the bike running... if it runs
Well, gotta get back to getting those carbs finished and get one more thing crossed off the list of thing to do.

If anyone has any good info on tuning KeiHin carbs, feel free to PM and any info is appreciated.
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old April 8th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #38
max16v
Forum Member

Found the digi camera . Got some more pics, not much, but as promised.

Pics of the fresh wiring (still giving me grief):

Just to give an idea of what it looked like before:

Freshly rebuilt carburetors that I finished up tonight. New gaskets, jets... the works.

A quick pic of the guts

I had a chat with my pops about my bike (he just happens to own a '74 CB750... like father like son?) and I described the condition of the carbs and how they were set up. He suggested I tune the carbs to stock and start tuning them from there. The condition of the carbs wasn't as bad as I thought. Needed some tweaking here and there but I got them squared away. What I noticed on the jet needle (adjustable) was it was set with the mid range super rich, so I reset them to the stock position and also had to set the height of the floats (probably 3-5mm off). The main jets are a tad too small for the year of bike that I have but it's all I could find for right now. I'll buy a couple more sets and start drillin' em out from there. After about 2 hours, I got the the carbs "bench sync'd" and I'll use my dad's synchronizer, that he has for his cb750, to fine tune them.

How she sits as of tonight:

That book in the lower right hand corner is worth it's weight in gold.

Still need to:
install new points
plug wires
install throttle cables
finish wiring....

I should get the plug wires, points, and throttle cables done tomorrow. The weather has been really fucking windy which makes me not want to go outside at all 'cause I'll get convered in sand (damn desert). Suppose I'll have to tough it out and get this damn bike on the road already.
'86 Scirocco 16vT

Last edited by max16v; April 9th, 2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old April 10th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #39
max16v
Forum Member

Finally finished up the fucking wiring! Sadly to say, though, that was it for tonights accomplishments. It took stripping down the ENTIRE wire harness to the individual wires and sorting them out from front to back. I redid all the wiring I previously installed last week while I had the whole harness torn apart, which makes it easier to do a little clean up and reroute the wires. I won't know if the new harness works or not till I remember to bring the ignition keys with me when I visit the garage .

Since I will be running individual handle bar clamps, the idiot light assembly was taken off and new single LED lights were installed on the speedo/tach mounts... right between the two. Looks pretty sweet. I'd show some pics but besides forgetting the bike keys, I neglected to bring the camera along too.

I bought some new chrome bullet shaped taillights/blinkers off eBay for $12 bucks. All the wiring is prepared for the new lights and I'm waiting diligently for them to arrive. I've been looking at a new seat that will give the bike a more aggressive look but it's hard to find a seat that will give it a narrower look since the inline 4 motor needs a fat frame to hang on to. I'm not sure if I should go the usual cafe look with the seat that curves down and back or a more square seat. The curved seat is more classic (and cliche but I am trying for a vintage look) but the squared style is more aggressive (which I want and flows better with the width of the bike) which is placing me in a state of indecisiveness. Here's too examples:

Vintage Matchless bike with curved seat (trying for that classic look)

or the squared off rear (ohhh soo love it too)

or this seat is bad ass as well

PM me which style I should go for
C'mon help a brotha out.
'86 Scirocco 16vT

Last edited by max16v; June 21st, 2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old April 13th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #40
max16v
Forum Member

Not much was done to the bike yesterday since I'm still waiting on more parts to come. I did do a couple small things to insure the bike would run when I throw the carbs on and start er up. I started out by adjusting the valves, which surprisingly didn't need much adjustment at all. Unfortunately, I mangled up a couple valve caps getting those bastards off. Looks like I need to find another set. They took a couple good beatings with a rubber mallet before they were loosened up to screw off.

I also installed a trio of idiot lights on the speedo/tach mount since I won't be having the stock idiot panel and decided to go with plain bar clamps instead.

The handlebars got some readjustment to get them comfortable to hold onto along with the brake levers and light switches. The throttle cables are in and ready to go.

The day was going very well and was excited to see how the new wiring was working (I always forget to bring the ignition key with me down to the garage...) but this time I remembered.

I put the key in, turned the switch....... and nothing.
What a PITA taking a week to figure out all the wiring and get it on the bike and have it not work. I just checked the battery couple days before and was at 14+volts. Now I have to strip down the harness and track down the problems.
I'd rather just have a magneto running so I could rip out most of the wiring and just have the bare essentials but that route can be costly. Since I hate being idle with projects that need finishing, I'm going to get back to working on the v-rod till my pops gets back from vacation and take him up on his offer to give me a hand with the bike.
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old April 22nd, 2008, 06:20 PM   #41
max16v
Forum Member

Default CB750 K3 Cafe Project.

If you couldn't tell, work on the bike has been super fucking slow due to personal things that have taken priority. Today I really wanted to get some more things done on the bike because the longer it sits, the more depressed I get about not riding it.

Not much work was done but at least I something was done.
Here's a couple things I snagged off the intarwebs:

Lucas styled vintage taillight. I'll be getting rid of that eyesore of a tailight from an old Ford. It ruins the "look" and "style"

Installed some new blinkers and wired those babies up. I'm still deciding if I like them. I know they are really useful when riding but I like the stripped down look. I'm keeping them on till I find something that looks cooler, though these do look pretty cool.

See what I mean about that old Ford taillight? Once I get a rear fender for this beast, the new taillight will be going on and the Ford taillight will be going on the volksrod.

Scored these off of feeBay for the bike. Now I need to find some jets and get this sucker running.
'86 Scirocco 16vT

Last edited by max16v; April 23rd, 2008 at 07:18 AM.
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #42
max16v
Forum Member

Default CB750 Cafe Project

Alright, I'm getting sick of this fucking electrical problem!

I refilled the battery and stuck it on the charger but it turns out that it is fully charged and holding a steady 14.6 volts. I hooked it up to the bike, turned the switch and still nothing works! I've gone through the wiring 3 times checking and double checking all the connections, wires making sure I didn't get the wires mixed up. It's pissing me off. I think that something is up with the wires grounding out or something strange because when I hook my test light up to the battery, everything looks good. When I hook the battery up to the wiring with the test light still on, the light goes out. The lights dont work, blinkers... nothing. I've practically memorized the wiring diagram from looking at it for so long and constant staring at the wiring. I need some serious advice/diagnostic help with this beast. I need it get it roadworthy since my parents were kind enough to lend the their car but its been too long. Strange that I've been having wiring woes since I've wired my bug, and a couple other cars up without a hitch, but when I touch the bike, nothing works.

If anyone is willing to help out with some motorcycle wiring ('73 Honda CB750), it would be uber appreciated. Please feel free to PM me if you have any ideas.
'86 Scirocco 16vT

Last edited by max16v; May 25th, 2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old April 28th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #43
max16v
Forum Member

Default CB750 K3 Cafe Project

I've been really bummed over my bike for the last few days since the electrical was still inop. I was also pretty bummed that I didn't hear from anyone here. So, I browsed the web and lurked around some Cb750 sites and got some info on wiring and a possible diagnosis that other cb750 owners had discovered. It appeared that these bikes DO NOT start without a working/charged battery to get the ignition system a kick, until the bike has started and the alternator system took over. Having to purchase a new battery was on the bottom of my list knowing the when I bought the bike, the battery was brand new. Yesterday I took a drive down to Coachella to a motorcycle shop that I have frequented since I was a kid and into riding dirt bikes, I bit the bullet and shoveled out the $40 bucks for a new battery. Got home, hooked it up and BAM! everything worked...
Thats only the beginning. I installed the freshly rebuilt carbs, hooked up the throttle cables, installed the new pod filters, ran some fresh fuel hose, filled the tank with new gas, and kicked... and kicked and kicked started the bike... no luck.

I unscrewed the fuel drains on the float bowls to check for gas and to make sure the needles weren't stuck (shouldn't be; brand new) but there was gas in all the carbs. I messed around with the choke and continued kicking... After about 10 kicks the bike lit up like a scalded monkey and purred like a cat . The bike quit after about 3 seconds and I decided to call it quits for today. Its damn fucking hot as hell and my garage faces the sun which made me a little disoriented. I'll let the bike settle knowing that it should run, and I'll go back out there this evening and try getting it running again. I'll call up my pops and borrow his carb synchronizer that he has for his CB750 and get this baby running like should.

I bought me a new helmet in preparation for when the bike is running and its a fucking PISSA!
'86 Scirocco 16vT

Last edited by max16v; April 28th, 2008 at 06:15 PM. Reason: mistakes grammer
Old April 28th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #44
max16v
Forum Member

Here's a video from today. Still needs a little tuning here and there but it's finally coming together. Oh yeah, that exhaust HAS to go.

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...nt=startup.flv
'86 Scirocco 16vT

Last edited by max16v; May 25th, 2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:20 PM   #45
max16v
Forum Member

Default CB750 K3 Cafe Project

Did s'more tinkerin' yesterday on the bike. Front brake was extremely soft and really didn't work. I bled it a couple times and works like a charm. Did some carb adjustment due to the bike idling like shit and running really rich. Still could use a sync'ing but I can't seem to get him to give me a hand with the bike. He detests the idea of me riding on the street and is possibly doing what he can to keep me off the street as long as possible . Got my new helmet in the mail yesterday but the company sent the wrong size which means I have to send this one back and wait another couple weeks to get my new helmet.
For now I'm counting down the days till I can get riding...
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #46
max16v
Forum Member

Got a box of goodies in the mail yesterday:
New throttle assembly which eliminates the light switch to clean up the handlebars and gives the bike a more minimalistic look.

Swapping out the new throttle assembly for the old assembly (which had the headlight switch and kill switch) has created yet more wiring woes. I have some ideas on new switch ideas about mounting some toggles on the headlight bucket like the old Brit bikes have. Doing so makes it difficult to reach the switches with the gauges in the way.... I want to get some mini gauges that will give access to the toggles but I like the CB gauges too. If I do with the mini's, the internal gear ratios match the stock CB's (no headaches).

Also got a new horn so I can get the bike closer to passing inspection. I had to buy a new ignition switch since I broke the stock one when I pulled it apart to clean the connections.

Since I'll be upgrading the exhaust to something more pleasing to the eye, I bought a handful of different main jets for the carbs when I do get a new pipe installed. I'm looking to go with a straight pipe with a small baffle and a chrome tip. The stock chrome pipes are pretty rusty and not worth re-chroming (new pipes are espensive) so I was thinking of just throwing some header wrap and leaving as is until my bill fold is willing to dish out the 1-200 bucks (maybe more) for new pipes.

If anyone has a set of carb synchronizers that I you may be willing to let me borrow, let me know and I'll be wiling to cover shipping here and back. New sync's are $50 bucks and my dad's looks "iffy". Thanks.
'86 Scirocco 16vT

Last edited by max16v; May 25th, 2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old May 10th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #47
max16v
Forum Member

This week has been busy as hell so no real work was done till today. I got the wiring all figured out and ready to rock... finallly. I mentioned in an earlier post that I'd get a toggle for the headlight switch. Here's a picture of it ready to rock:

The only downside is that I have to reach around the speedo to turn the lights on but I don't really mind. I also got my horn working and hooked up a kill switch that was on the clutch handle assembly that wasn't in use. No idea what it was originally used for but its a kill switch now. I'm pretty excited that I got the starter working even though starters are for pussies, it still came in handy after my leg got sore from kicking when I flooded the motor this morning. To unflood the motor, I pulled the plugs and kicked it over a couple times to get the fuel out and decided to do some tuning to the carb's idle jets to get it running smoother.

Here's some pics I took today. This ones the new horn.

Here's how the bike looks today:

I took off the taillight and blinkers since I'll be buying a fender off ebay so I can mount the new Lucas styled taillight to it. I had to pull the blinkers because I couldn't get them to work right, the lights would stay on solid and not blink. I hooked my test light to the blinker wire and got the test light to blink perfectly but the blinker light would stay solid. Could grounding be an issue? Wire gauge to the light? Bulb? The bulb is a standard single filament. Just don't know why the damned thing wont blink.

I finally got around to ordering a set of carb synchronizers today. I had to justify spending the cash for a some more tools. Tools for me is the same as women want shoes... I could always use more.

Here's a video I made with the starter/ kill switch in action.
CLick here

That is for now. Now go and do something productive.
'86 Scirocco 16vT

Last edited by max16v; June 21st, 2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #48
max16v
Forum Member

Talking CB750 Cafe Project

I'm pretty jazzed right now.. Were having some work done at the shop which means I get the day off, which means I get the bike insured and registered!

I got my new helmet in the mail yesterday and I'm inches away from doing some serious street riding. Eventually I'll take my test at the DMV to get my motorcycle license. Till then... keep it on the DL

I'm looking at a couple auctions on ebay for a rear fender so the old skool taillight has something to mount to. The only things keeping the bike from being legal is a set of turn signals (the bullet ones are cool but I took 'em off) and I have to fix the signal switch. Everything else looks and feels promising. My dad gave me some pointers on getting it running right and I convinced him to take the bike for a spin once I start riding it to work. I'm doing my best to get my dad riding again.

Heavens, look at the time... best be gettin' back to work.
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #49
max16v
Forum Member

I got off of work and headed straight for the garage. Got s'more stuff in the mail that will keep me busy this weekend. Inclosed in the package was a new set of carburetor synchronizers, a new mirror, and new headlight mounts . First thing I did was attempt to install the new headlight mounts but things didn't go as planned. I started by pulling the handle bars and disassembling the triple tree. I got down to the 2 large nuts above the forks and as soon as the bolt was loosened, it came barreling at my head and the spring nearly shot across the garage. With such curiosity I posses and what little foresight I have, I often wonder how I am still alive.
Here's a pic of those new chrome headlight mounts that looks like a pissa when installed right.

I stood staring at my bike with the fork spring hanging out of the fork tube and god knows where the fork nut is.
After about 10 minutes, I spot the nut hiding under my car then I wonder how the hell that damn spring will go back. The light in my head goes off and I jack the damn bike up. The shear genius that I am, the bike is lifted up. I cleverly devised a way to jack up the bike using a floor jack, angle iron and a jack stand. The fork spring slides back into the fork and the nut goes back on. 2 hours and the new headlight mounts are still not on. I put everything back the way it was, then proceed to piss and moan like a child.

I was successful at mounting the new mirror, which clamps to the handlebar because I'm not willing cut open my grips and fit a mirror at the end of the handlebar.
I did some more adjustments to the idle mixture since the plugs keep fouling up. The bike idles a lot smoother... not quite perfect but getting pretty close. I let the motor warm up and take it around the complex a couple times. I noticed that there is a flat spot around 1/2-2/3rd throttle which can only be fixed by adjusting the needle jet but is a pain to disassemble the carbs so I left it as is. There was also a huge flat spot at WOT which I cured by throwing in a set of 120 jets I had ordered the week before. Changing the jets was another explosive can of worms.

Cylinder #3's fuel bowl gasket wasn't seating properly and consequently would dump fuel all over the motor. I had to drain the float bowl and fuck with the gasket about 4 times before I got the gasket to stick. Once I got that fixed, another couple times around the complex and the bike picks up wicked fast at WOT. Still has the flat spot about 1/2 throttle but the fix will come later.

Tomorrow I'll be watching for a rear fender on ebay, and I hope i'll win. Monday means registration and insurance. Once the fender gets here, on goes the tailight and on the street.

Fuck yeah!
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old May 18th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #50
max16v
Forum Member

Got lucky on eBay today and won a rear fender and inner fender that came off of a '73 CB750 (same year as mine). Should get it sometime this coming week so I can get the taillight on and working.

Was having loads of trouble with the idle on the bike. It would be very sporadic and not knowing exactly what the trouble was, I began adjusting the idle mixture screws which really didn't do much. I was at my wits end and ready to call my pops for advice (knows CB750s like the back of his hand) and said "screw it" and decided to give it another shot. There was only 1 other obvious reason for the bad idle; vacuum leak. I took some carb cleaner and sprayed the intake boots that met up the head and the idle jumped up! I unscrewed all the clamps and readjusted the carb boots, lit up the bike and the thing idled well! The boots are extremely stiff so either buying new boots or softening them are my only two options. Choosing the latter would be wayyy cheaper. I've read several articles about reconditioning the boots by boiling water mixed with some wintergreen oil does the job extremely well, but the only problem is finding some wintergreen oil.

Click here. Check out post #89-91

Another example using wintergreen oil

Once I get my paws on some oil, I'll be able to recondition the boots and quit my fussing about the vacuum leak.

Oh yeah, tomorrow means DMV = bike 1 step closer for the road. I'm not sleeping tonight...
'86 Scirocco 16vT

Last edited by max16v; May 25th, 2008 at 03:27 PM.