Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,386
Total Online: 585

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by RichG
- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3

Old May 25th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #51
max16v
Forum Member

Default CB750 Cafe Project

It's been a couple days since I've updated...

LOTS of progress has been made with the bike. It is currently registered and insured which I did last week. I had mentioned earlier that the bike wasn't running tip top which is keeping me from doing some riding, so I sat long and hard to diagnose the problem. It started out that the #3 cylinder was dead with the exhaust temp giving me the clue. It wasn't vacuum related so I pulled the plug and it was clean.... no fuel. I pulled the float bowl off and took out the idle jet and turns out the damn thing was clogged. I shot it with carb cleaner, put the carb back together and the bike lit right up. After about 30 seconds of idling, all of a sudden I lost cylinders 1,2, and 3 again. I pulled the idle jets out which were covered in crap from the gas tank. I cleaned all the float bowls and idle jets and decided it was time to clean the tank.

I got the tank cleaned, the petcock (grungy and filled with sediments), ran some new fuel line and also added some inline fuel filters to each bank of carbs. Once the pieces were put back together, the bike fired to life on the first kick. and running strong. I took it around the apartment complex for a little spin before taking it on the street and noticed a couple problems. The new fuel hose is 1/4" - not 3/16" like stock-ish size so it leaks (even with hose clamps) and also have to replace 2 float bowl gaskets (all the disassembly and reassembly probably damaged them) which I have a couple left over from the rebuild (original - still good, no leaks). After those small problems are sorted, all is left is setting the timing and syncing the carbs.

Besides all the carb/motor work, I've done some things to get the bike street legal.
I got my fender friday and got the tailight mounted. I didn't like the look of the long fender look so I cut it down.

Here's it installed:

I got the taillight working and also the blinkers working, so I threw on the chromed bullet lights.

Here's the blinkers in the front:

I'm more than excited about getting the bike running! I'm hoping that I can take it for a spin this afternoon!

EDIT: Just picked up some 3/16 fuel hose (stock-ish size, stock size was probably metric since it's a jap bike) at Pep Boyz to fix the fuel leak. Will post updates later tonight with more progress.
'56 Royal Enfield Super Meteor -The NorField
'69 T1 "Das Straßenzerstörer"
'86 Scirocco 16vT

Last edited by max16v; June 21st, 2008 at 06:12 PM.
max16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #52
max16v
Forum Member

Good news ladies and gents. I got all the bugs worked out... still haven't synched the carbs but that'll come at a later date, I'm too anxious to take it on the street.

Found out what the fuel leak from the petcock was, the brass nipples that the fuel line attach to were a tad loose. I took a rubber mallet and tapped them back into place. The 3/16 fuel line is on and snug; no leaks. The float bowl leaks from yesterday magically disappeared. I'm assuming once they were soaked in gas, they swelled a tad and made a better seal . Anyway, thats fixed. The right blinker is also fixed. Turned out that the wire was rubbing against a metal edge of a hole I drilled in the fender to run the wiring through. Haven't installed a grommet yet but that will come later as well. Here's a couple pics of her from today...

Time for a spin.

Edit: Upgrades for the (hopefully) near future:
-New and relocated rear sets
-18" Wheel - p-nor, if you still have it and want to get rid of it, let me know.
-New exhaust

Edit 2: Just got back home after taking the bike on it's maiden voyage and just to let you know, that bike is a real kick! The acceleration is smooth and quick. After about 50mph I pulled it to WOT and still keeps going. The 120 jets does that bike good. I think I'll go riding again today.
'86 Scirocco 16vT

Last edited by max16v; May 25th, 2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old May 26th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #53
max16v
Forum Member

Went for a ride up to a friends house in Palm Springs today to hang out and had a chance to see how the bike does on a long distance trip. Overall the bike performed really well. The only snags were 1: 3rd gear sticks a bit when up shifting and 2: I have to get used to using the choke.

I'm assuming the gear sticking is because of the clutch cable. It definitely needs replacing and makes it difficult to shift to first when slowing down to a stop and it wont even shift down to first when at a stop. The ride over was going well until about a block away I stalled due to the sticking 3rd gear. On the way home, the bike doesn't want to run so well when it is cold (weather is cold and the motor is cold as well). I think I'll adjust the idle screws a little richer to help the lean condition even under full choke.
I also stalled the bike halfway through the intersection when the bike was warming up an still on full choke . When the bike started acting up, I was really concerned that I wouldn't make it home (still a 35 minute drive away) and being stranded. I pulled over and started up the bike and messed with the choke and instantly ran wayyy better.

It's those small characteristics that make riding fun. I'll be taking the bike tomorrow to work in the morning and praying that it doesn't quit halfway through the intersection. Still a little paranoid but we'll see...
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old May 31st, 2008, 03:40 PM   #54
max16v
Forum Member

Default Re: Der Straßenkratzer

Did some tinkering with the bike today on this lazy saturday. I've hated the look of the ricer/modern exhaust which is killing the look of the bike, so I fixed it by taking the fucker off. Looks killer and sounds just as as good. Since modifying the intake/exhaust can cause a leaner condition, I went for a spin so I can check the plugs. The bike had a little slow spot on acceleration from 1/4 throttle and up which means the jet needle needs adjustment but WOT seemed to pick up. When I got back I pulled the plugs. Cylinders 1 and 2 were greyish/brownish - dead on but what was causing the slight stumble? I got to cylinders 3 and 4 and found a problem. Both plugs had oil residue . All this means that the bike will be needing new rings soon . Seems like I get one thing running, something else needs a fixin'. Without a leakdown tester, I'm diagnosing the problem on the rings but there is further evidence of worn rings: high crankcase pressure. There is a little smoke coming from the breather tube coming off the engine after racing around for a bit.

Since the bike is my only transportation till the v-rod is finished, I'll be trying put the least amount of miles on it and baby it. I bought a new Honda clutch cable last week to fix the shifting problem, which I will get sometime early next week. I also hooked up the carb synchs to get them running as close as possible and got some better throttle response now.

Thats all I have for you today. Later.
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old May 31st, 2008, 08:30 PM   #55
max16v
Forum Member

Just got back from a car show in Palm Springs and decided to take the bike out again. I posted a thread (click here to see it) about a volksrod in Palm Desert and saw it again today in Palm Springs. The guy is a member here but just a chronic lurker. He asked if I was familiar with this site... . I laughed and told him I was a Coalition member and gave me the . Anyway, we discussed v-rods and shit for a little while and I went to check out the rest of the cars. My pops was there representing our business and had a chat with him about the issue with my bike. He followed me a couple blocks to see how the bike ran and about any smoking issues. He gave me a thumbs up and said the rings are fine, then turned and went home. Thats good news for me. I completely trust his mechanical skill and advice since he's been wrenching on his car for 35 years and has lots of racing under his belt. I guess workin' on cars runs in the family.

Going off another tangent. Well back to the bike. Things are good, still that little hesitiation/bogging in 1/4-3/4 throttle but WOT is still good. I'll take the bike around tomorrow and take some jets and my plug wrench tomorrow and see if I can't get this bike running better.

I took the back streets home from the car show and hit 90-95mph.... nearly the TON but I had to slow down since there was a curve coming up. That bike is a goddamn motherfucking fun machine.
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old June 7th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #56
max16v
Forum Member

I got s'more work done yesterday with the little free time I have. I received my new clutch cable in the mail and got that installed. Still having problems with gears doing a little grinding when accelerating quickly and also have a bit of clutch slip. I have to let the rpms drop down before shifting to have a smooth transition between the gears. Since the clutch cable was a little help but not a cure for the problem, I'm going to replace the clutch disks and plates. I've also decided to run some synthetic oil next time I change the oil and will see where that gets me.

I cured the bogging down in mid range with the bike running lean. To get good acceleration during mid and WOT with the setup on my bike choke had to be almost closed and really cut the power down. The air cleaners and the aftermarket exhaust really fucks with the intake and fuel mixture. To fix the mid range, I set the jet needle down one notch - almost full rich. Doing so consists of pulling the carbs, tearing them down and pulling the slides out. It wasn't too bad since I got really familiar with them during the carb rebuild. After I finished those up, I threw in a set of #125 jets, two sizes up from stock, to fix the WOT. I got finished, took the bike for a spin and HOT DAMN does that old bike really scoot! Being able to open the choke and add lots more fuel really gives a lot of pick up.

Before making the jet changes and such, I tried to put the stock airbox back on to restrict the airflow a little better but after 2 hours I couldn't even get 1 out of 4 of the plastic velocity stacks on! WD-40 wasn't any help either. My pops thinks it was a stupid idea to run the cone filters but I like the better performance with the carb changes. I'd like to have a race between my cb750 and his cb750 to see who's is quicker. Eh, one of these days...

Now, get off your lazy asses, get in the garage and build something cool enough to make James Dean jealous.
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #57
max16v
Forum Member

I've been bummed that the bike has been progressively getting slower as the days go on. After a little riding I checked the spark plugs again to diagnose the problem. Spark plugs from cylinders 1&2 looked as though they came right out of the oven, nice and brown but cylinders 3&4 didn't look so good. The electrodes were caked in oil and the exhaust was spitting out whitish smoke. My pops reassured me that the rings were fine after not seeing any smoke while I was riding but I am starting to doubt that. I replaced the 3rd & 4th plugs and will check them again tomorrow after work. I was hoping to rebuild the motor after I finish up the volksrod, and still planning to, but I don't have time to tear the motor apart on the bike which would leave me without transportation. Assuming that the engine has never been rebuilt, I'd say it's probably time for one.

I'm making a promise to myself to get crackin' on the volksrod starting this weekend so I can get the bike fixed and get the motor rebuilt. The car still needs plenty of work to get it running and on the road so I'll be making a list of items that need to be done that I can check off, so I can see some real progress.

It always seems like I fix one thing, another thing breaks.
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old June 21st, 2008, 06:10 PM   #58
max16v
Forum Member

Haven't had anything good to post this week until today. It's summer and hot but I don't mind getting out to the garage and doing some wrenching. Instead of the garage part, I'll be working in the kitchen.

I posted some info about refurbishing the carburetor boots on my CB750 with water and wintergreen oil and got lucky today by actually finding a local health store that carried it. I searched for weeks and was going to buy it online and then I decided to check a couple health food stores out first. I picked up a 30mL bottle for a bout $6 bucks, which considering if this process works, will save me $100+ for a brand new set of factory Honda carburetor boots.

I started by simmering the water/oil mix, dropped the disassembled boots in a metal strainer, and lowered them in the concoction. At first the smell was great, similar to a huge mountain of minty chewing gum, but that turned sour once the smell became too overwhelming with the addition of a rubber smell. As I type this, I still have about 2 hours left of the simmering and me, unable to breath in my house, am left to wearing an industrial safety mask. I bet I look like a crazy guy with my mask and doing the dishes. My roommate is being busy with her counselor job at some kid camp, so I have the house to myself and to stink the hell out of it.

I swear this stuff will make the paint peel off the walls.

Now for some pictures:
About 15 minutes and these babies were off the bike.

30ml bottle of Wintergreen Oil

This is the mix of water and 15ml (half the bottle) of oil just under a boil that will sit for 2-2.5 hours or until the boots are nice and supple.

BEFORE picture of the boots. Will post update pictures with a little about how well, or not, the refurbishing process went. Notice the numbers, tells which cylinder the boot goes on. Took me one hell of a long time figure that one out .

Enjoy.

Edit: Oh yeah, bought some new fork gaiters from Cycle X which will allow me to not need the headlight ears to keep the stock fork boots on so I can run those neato aftermarket chrome ears that I have. Also purchased new clutch plates since the stock (assuming so) is going out; grinding gears. Watching eBay for a vintage set of Tommaselli clip ons due to the other set went for too much and didn't feel like paying an insane price.

Might also buy a new 19" rear rim and spokes to really get that classic brit bike look and so I can ditch that chopper looking 16" rim that is currently on there right now. I'm looking for some Avon roadrunner tires too. Next purchase will be a new chain and bigger jets incase I want to get crazy with the motor or exhaust (pretty much guaranteed).
'86 Scirocco 16vT

Last edited by max16v; June 21st, 2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:50 PM   #59
max16v
Forum Member

Talking CB750 Cafe Project - UPDATE!!!

After about 2.5 hours with the boots in the mix simmering, it appears that it worked!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I wasn't able to squeeze the boots before throwing them on the stove because they were stiff as hell but now they are soft and supple. The boots had a "haze" on them which I took off with a dish scrubbing pad then wiped them down with a towel. They look brand new!

At an hour-45 I threw in the rest of the wintergreen oil and let them soak thinking that it might help a bit. If you decided to do this, it's best to check up on the mix every-so-often since the water will evaporate, so keep a cup of water near to refill. Other than that, let them set and do their thing. Since Honda wasn't the only company to make rubber boots for their bikes, this procedure will work for any bike. If you do it, let me know the outcome.

While I was waiting, I ordered some new stainless boot clamps from Carpy at his site that is dedicated to Cb750 Cafe bikes, only after I was unable to find anyone around here with the size and style. The old boot clamps are pretty fucked up and bent from years of abuse. The new clamps will look good and probably make a better seal.

The only bummer is that the wintergreen smell will linger for quite a while. I'll never like that smell again.
'86 Scirocco 16vT

Last edited by max16v; June 21st, 2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #60
max16v
Forum Member

Alright. Today I have a new, more interesting problem with the bike. Seems like every time I get near the frame, while the bike is running, I get the SHIT shocked out of me. My prognosis is a grounding out coil(s). When the shocking begins, it is repetitive and constant till I pull my hand off the bike. I've noticed on the way home from work that the bike was pining, which is a really odd since I'm running 91 octane and adjusted the timing once (and made damn sure the timing plate was tightened down). I think that the coils and or plug wires are leaking onto the frame which is killing the performance and making me irritated.

I've been looking at Dyna coils with REPLACEABLE!! plug wires. Honda pulled a stupid one by permanently connecting the plug wires to the coils.

For some better news, I won some vintage Tommaselli clip on handlebars off of ebay, which will be powdercoated to look like chrome since chroming is not an economical way to go. In addition to the clip ons, I'm patiently awaiting my new clutch and fork gaiters. Looks like I will also be awaiting a new set of coils once I find one that suits my billfold.
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #61
max16v
Forum Member

Looks like this bike is turning into a money pit, but I am somehow comfortable with that.
I accomplished a lot of a little bit yesterday after getting package in the mail that contained the new clutch plates and fork gaiters.

Once I got to my garage, I started on replacing the fork boots and mount the headlight with the drilled and chromed HL ears that have been sitting in the box I got them in for too long. Took way longer than I though it would take only because there were a few snags I hit at every turn. To install the new fork boots, the front wheel and forks had to be pulled. To do that, the clubmans, the upper triple tree, old headlight ears, and old headlight ears had to be pulled as well. I got around to pulling the old HL ears off, I didn't really pull them off, but had to CUT the fuckers off.
Here was the start of the disassembly:

The forks were covered in rust and shit from top to bottom. I gave them a good cleaning before I put the new boots on. Lower fork tubes:

After cutting the old fork HL ears off. Thanks the lord for angle grinders.

Still more disassembly - HL bucket and electrical came out (doing so created a HUGE pain in the ass once I got the bike back together but will explain later).

Pulling the forks off the bike for real.

Took some #180 grit and sanded down the rust after a piece of stout brillo pad did absolutely nothing.

After knocking off all the large amounts of rust, I polished the fork tubes as best as possible knowing they weren't going to come out perfect. Bummer. Here's after I got the new fork boots back on:

REASSEMBLY TIME
New fork boots and the trick HL ears. Those were a problem in itself since they were make to work with several size fork tubes the fit wasn't spot on. It took some bending here and prying there to get the bolt holes to line up as close as possible. After they were on, they were ON.

Forgot to mention that I also pulled off the gauges to get more elbow room and come to think of it, the bike looked clean and smooth. Here's some more assembly and electrical (PITmotherfuckingA - will vent about that later)

Here's the piece of... of... awesomeness put back together:
I DIG it.

THE CLUTCH
perhaps an intermission would be suitable right here <-
My hands are tired from typing so I'm gonna have a cig and finish up in a min. You should too because this post is fucking long

OK, now for the clutch. If only cars were THIS easy, I would have changed my clutch ages ago.
This is after pulling the main cover off to reveal this spring retainer plate. 4x 10mm bolts to get to the clutch springs and pressure plate/clutch basket.

After pulling off the center nut and washer, the whole clutch basket and pressure plate come out in 1 unit.

Here's the old clutch plates which is different than cars. These use motor oil to lubricate the clutch plates and intermediate plates:

Installation is opposite of removal with only a little adjustment to the cable and clutch adjustment lock which is a breeze.
Still needs a slight adjustment but it's pretty much done. I was going to take it for a spin but the M/C needs a rebuild (another $30 ) since it leaks a tad and was too tired after spending 8 1/2 hours straight on this bike to go riding.

Now for the electrical shit. The bike wouldn't start after kicking and kicking but all the other electrical was working. The coils weren't throwing a spark. I ended up tearing down the harness to trace the wires from the starter switch to the HL. Turns out I missed 1 fucking wire that operates the kill switch. I plugged it in and the bike started with the first kick.

I'll end this whole ordeal on a good note. Today I FINALLY received my pair of vintage Tommaselli Clip ons!
They are a little rough (a little rust here and there but definitely NOT like the fork tubes ) but I'll sand them down tonight and take them over to get powder-coated hopefully tomorrow.

'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #62
max16v
Forum Member

Default Cb750 Cafe Project

Got an progress update on the bike so far. Having some extra time on my hands after work, I got the clip on handlebars stripped down to metal to get them read for chroming, yes chroming! After they are finished (hopefully next week) I'll let you know all about it.
Here's the clip ons stripped and did a bit of polishing:

I ordered some new carb boot clamps from Carpy's site to replace the bent, stretched, and leaking clamps I had on there.

The new clamps are the worm drive style and give a greater amount of tightening, as with the old clamps would be tightened to the fullest and would STILL leak.

Clamps installed:

Sealing up the intake really changed the way the bike runs; a hellofa lot better. The only problem is that I adjusted the carbs to run richer to compensate for the vacuum leak so a readjustment was in order.
I also re synched the carbs which gave the bike a smoother take off but still has some issues.

Here's a list:
-Constant miss during idle (hot and cold)
-The engine will not idle by itself unless I keep my hand on the throttle till it warms up. Once the engine is warm, it has no problem idling without my help.
-Probably the problem that bugs me the most is that the bike will be idling when hot around 1200rpms then will suddenly surge to around 2k-2200rpms on it own. After about 5 seconds, the idle drops back down to 1200. I have absolutely NO idea why it does it.

I know I still have to adjust the idle mixture and also adjust the timing but I cannot get an accurate reading due to the miss.

If there is a v-rodder or lurker that can assist me with these few problems, it will be greatly appreciated beyond measure.
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old July 15th, 2008, 12:22 PM   #63
max16v
Forum Member

Looks like I got a lot accomplished this weekend which makes me happy and relieved. I skipped out on the Pomona Swap Meet this month to get some necessary items fixed before taking the bike on any long distance trips. The first thing that needed replacing was the drive chain. I have no knowledge on how old/ how many miles the chain had but it was worn and stretched. When I replaced the chain, I went ahead and replaced both front and rear sprockets as well since they both wear the same amount and I'd rather have brand new so won't feel paranoid about something breaking down when I'm cruising.

Just a comparison to the old chain to the new one.

Same with the front sprocket:

Here's the new rear sprocket installed:

I decided to stick with the stock sprocket sizes since the bike will eventually get a taller rear rim and that changes the drive ratio. Being an auto mechanic, working on bikes made me feel slightly apprehensive but I realized that it's pretty much all the same thing. In fact, it is way easier to work on the bike compared to a car, with everything so compact and easy to access.

New exhaust seals were also replaced. The old ones were a bitch to pull out and I naturally assumed they were stock by the condition of them.

The on going problems that I mentioned in the last post about the idle problem during cold and the surging idle seems to be fixed. I found a vacuum leak from a couple loose hose clamps on the intake boots - easy fix, which seems to have cured both the surging idle and poor cold idle. I also readjusted the jet needles 1 notch up, back to stock specifications. The original carb settings were to counter the massive vacuum leaks, now that has been corrected, a retune is in order.

The only real problem left is the constant miss which I am contributing to bad coil wires. At night, the plug wires arc like mad not only at the wires but the boots as well. I'm devising a plan on using the stock coils but changing out the wires by soldering a spark plug end to the coils and using replaceable wires! Thanks to Frank (blacktruck) for the idea.

I thought this a cool shot and I know how much you guys like pictures.
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old July 19th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #64
max16v
Forum Member

Default Re: Straßenzerstörer

Holy shit, I actually did some work on the Straßenzerstörer today. I think it's from all the caffeine I had this morning.

Although work was done, just not much. The M/C was finally mounted on the opposite side (RHD 'version). Overall it looks and fits great except for the front break light switch that happens to be too close to the tunnel and doesn't have enough room to be fitted to the m/c. There are a couple ideas that I have to fix this problem: 1) take a hammer and pound the crap out of the tunnel or 2) cut out the interfering metal and create a concave piece out of sheet metal and weld it in. I preferred method for me would be the latter.

M/C:

Problem:

After the master cylinder was mounted, I wanted to continue the work on the pedal conversion but alas, problems surfaced again. I appears the battery on my drill is going to shit and I planned to do most of the work today using it. Looks as though the project will be put on hold until I get a new battery. Before the battery proved worthless, I was drilling out a new hole opposite the hole for the LHD pedals for the RHD pedals but only got half-way finished. I decided to install a stock shifter, that my dad gave me from his buggy, so I can stretch it to the roof.
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old July 23rd, 2008, 04:57 PM   #65
max16v
Forum Member

Default Blah

As you readers know, I've been in a pickle between getting the bike running good and getting some decent progress done on the volksrod, I may have crossed the line where I can start devoting full time work on the car.

The running condition on the Cafe bike has been a rollercoaster - ups and downs, but I finally got it running well, though not sure how long that will last.

Troubleshooting any vehicle consists of eliminating certain problems and going from there. I have been really skeptical on the condition of the ignition system on the bike and to eliminate that problem, my dad pulled off his coils from his CB (known to be in great working condition) and I put them on my bike. The first time I started it up, it ran noticeably better. I was excited to see REAL progress in having a reliable, running bike. Al was well until the bike suddenly had a loss of power and hated being moved from it's parking spot, so today I did my usual checking of the carb's internal conditions and noticed that #4 cylinder wasn't getting it's Wheaties and #3 had more fuel that #4. I pulled the carburetors off and cleaned all the jets and fuel passages then focused my attention to the last carburetor.

Turns out that the fuel inlet passage before the needle seat was clogged due to particles from the fuel line were clogging it up. I installed new fuel line/ filter, cleaned out the fuel inlet and after that, the bike ran top notch. I bought a few items such as new brake pads (front & rear), new spark plug boots, and some other stuff here and there. All I need now is a new set of coils (the wires are definitely SHIT and the coils have a small crack by the mounts - plus those fuckers are 30+ years old) and do some final tuning and it should be good to go.

Enough with the bike. More progress has been made (not much but it's progress) since I got a new battery for my drill. The RHD pedal hole in the tunnel is drilled and just need the pedals mounted. My dad's buggy will be getting a new steering column (adjustable) which means I'll be getting the current column he has (standard plain steel column and cool chrome/ old skool looking blinker switch. I had planned to get a similar column for mine since I won't be re-using the stock column/ignition switch/blinker setup on mine.

I'm pretty jazzed about getting crackin' on the v-rod again and getting that road worthy for this Fall/Winter.

Since this post is sans-picture, I figured I'd throw in a pic of my dad's buggy. He bought it from a gent who built it and never took it out on the street. Hell, practically all the bolts on it weren't even tightened all the way. He got lucky with a hell of a deal on it, it's been really reliable, gets LOTS of looks, and it a kick in the pants to drive.

'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old July 29th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #66
max16v
Forum Member

Default Re: Cb750 Cafe Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by max16v View Post
Got an progress update on the bike so far. Having some extra time on my hands after work, I got the clip on handlebars stripped down to metal to get them read for chroming, yes chroming! After they are finished (hopefully next week) I'll let you know all about it.
Here's the clip ons stripped and did a bit of polishing:
If you didn't know, I got the clip ons chromed! A gent at La Habra Plating gave them a couple dips for a mere 50 bucks.
Here's the finished product:

Here's the clip ons installed:

Installing those were a pain in my ass. The chromer dipped them once and decided they should be dipped a second time for a better finish but doing so increase the outside diameter just enough to make the throttle assembly not fit right. I took a palm sander and took some chrome off and also had to make a relief cut in the plastic throttle tube. After that, all was a walk in the park.

Since the last time I cleaned the forks, rust had formed from sitting, which I sanded down and polished up a bit but had left bare metal. After a couple rains and humidity, surface rust was forming, so I shot some rattle can black to protect the new chrome finish on the clip ons.

During the fork painting, I killed some time by installing a new clutch cover gasket since the old one was torn and leaked oil all over the god damn place. Now: no leaks.

On the ride to work this morning (first ride with the clip ons), the bike felt a little stabler and was more comfortable to ride with the new handle bars on. I really enjoy the aggressive-ness of the look, which the clubman bars took away, and the riding position. Nothing screams Cafe Racer like a set of clip ons.
Here's some new pics I took of the bike just a bit ago with the bling.

Notice how much lower the bars are. It makes riding this bike FUN again.

This weekend, I should be going to my pop's house to get my carburetors synced using the old method with the tubes and mercury. I couldn't do them last weeked due to me forgetting the brass carburetor adapters, and, my dad couldn't find his old plastic ones.

I am aiming to get more progress done on Das Straßenzerstörer this week. I've got the bike running well and I'm sick of not driving my baby around town.

More updates when they come. Peace out.
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #67
max16v
Forum Member

Default Das Straßenzerstörer

I've been doing my best to get this car on the road, hopefully before X-mas. It seems like a long time but the list of things that need to be done continues to grow, not shrink even though I've spent all of my free time after work in the garage working on the car.

Recent list of accomplishments:
- Mounted the RHD pedals - which surprisingly fit exactly where the m/c is mounted. Measure 20 times, cut once... it pays off!
- Almost finished filling in all the holes in the heater channel before channeling the car. The big holes for the heater are all welded up and ready. I spent a lot of time trying to make them look good but, they wont even be seen.
- Finished welding up the B pillars

Small list of BIG things that need to be done:
- Channel job
- Finish the chop top (C pillars, welding the front portion of the roof on, filling in roof between A&B pillars)
- Fab up the luggage tray with sheet metal. Not going to re-use the stock luggage area since it's pretty well rusted up.
- Smooth out fender bolt holes.

I hope to get channel job done within a week and finish up the C pillars as well. Those two things are a big hurtle right now.
/end rant-update
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old August 12th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #68
max16v
Forum Member

This past weekend went pretty well with the bike. I took a ride to my dad's house after work to see if we could tune it better. Earlier that week I received a set of mini metric drill bits and hollowed out a set of #110s that I know I'd never use. I opened them up to #130s which fixed the top end perfect. The only things to fix were a bad stumble off idle and lots of lag during midrange throttle.

We immediately re-checked all of our previous work done to the ignition system, which turned out to be working fine. Cylinder's 2-3 had new points before and went bad. I threw in a set of 20 year old points from a stash my dad had for his bike and after a couple weeks of riding, were holding up perfect! Some people's parts quality these days . I adjusted the dwell a degree for better spark and that was it.

After re-checking the timing for all the cylinders, we let the bike cool off so we could check the synchronization with a more precise gauge. I have a sync with a set of vacuum gauges (brand new) and were no match to my pop's tube/mercury gauges which are 25+ years old!!! The sync'ing was a little hard due to the carburetors being a tad worn but we got them pretty damn close to perfect. We buttoned up the carburetors and I went for a spin around the block. I pulled in the driveway and my dad knew the bike was running GOOD by the shiteatin' grin on my face. All I have left is to fine tune the idle jets but cant, since I misplaced my fucking metric spark plug socket in the garage .

I've been doing small things here and there on the v-rod and making progress, little, but progress nonetheless. I have to make a stop at Lowes to pick up some overpriced sheetmetal to make filler panels for the cabin's "C" pillar. Also I'll be filling in the fender holes and fabbing up some filler plates for the bulk head after I channel the car.

Unfortunately I do not have a computer at home anymore, which means I won't be able to post pics for a while but I will be taking pics of all my progress. Once I get a computer, all of my work will be posted via pictures when I get them uploaded!

Stay tuned.
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #69
max16v
Forum Member

Double post
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #70
max16v
Forum Member

More progress on the v-rod today. I got the RHD pedals finished up and mounted. The problem up to today was how to bolt the pedals to the tunnel, with the pedals on the opposite side. Talking with reflectorcollector on several different methods of accomplishing that task: 1) cutting open the tunnel and welding 2 nuts on the inside where the pedals would attach to or 2) Running a piece of all-thread through the tunnel and using nuts at each end.
I didn't feel like cutting and welding the tunnel and wanted to use metric on my car to fit the stock pedal mount holes. So I figured out how to do it MY way.

After taking a trip to my local Lowe's, I came home with a pile of stuff and got working.
Luckily, I found some 10x1.5x40 metric bolts - which match the threading on the tunnel, then I got a piece of 3/8"x3' solid steel rod (couldn't find metric ) and welded the bolt to the end of it. I cut cap off the bolt and set it aside for later. After measuring the tunnel and figuring how long the bolt needed to be, I cut the rod/threading and welded the cap off the bolt onto the end of the rod. After grinding down the welds, the bolt fit perfect. The RHD pedals came with a support plate, where the stock pedals go, that support the throttle actuator and the bolts had enough threads for a nylon-lock nut at the end.

Unfortunately I don't have my own computer yet, but I assure you that I took photos from start to finish, and when I get my own computer that I will upload them.
I finding this exciting that I can cross this off of my very long list of things to do on the car. It's definitely a personal encouragement to keep going. I know that a lot of things would be done if it wasn't for the damn heat and humidity.

Stay tuned, and maybe I'll get more things done.

Oh yeah, I forgot my lighter at my house and had to use my welder to light my cigarettes. Fun times.
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #71
max16v
Forum Member

Default Das Straßenzerstörer

It's been a while since I've updated but not to fear, I've been keeping busy on the v-rod. I picked up some needed parts at the Pomona Swap meet and met up with Joel (Tequila) and walked the grounds. I scored a pair of vintage metal fuel tanks that I will hang off the side of the rod, which wont be for aesthetics but for real. They have a pretty good patina but will need a good clean on the inside. The PO used them to store used motor oil.

On to the v-rod...

I bought some sheet metal to fix some warpage on the "C" pillars, which have still been giving me lots of headaches. I decided to take a break on the chop and focus some more on the cabin section.
I'm about 3/4 with the shifter extension. I was waiting on finding a shifter base plate, since I lost the one that my dad pulled from his buggy. I scored one at the Pomona Swap meet last Sunday, so I finally installed the shifter and started the extension. I have a great idea for the shift knob that I have seen NOBODY do yet; being somewhat original. I'll get the shifter finished up after work.

I had been looking for some swing spring plates and torsions to get rid of the long IRS torsion housing that sticks out by the tire. A fellow member helped me out and sold me the plates and torsions from a '61 that will be installed within a week. After I install the new parts, the rest of the channeling will be finished as I will need to leave room for the cover plates in case I decided to adjust the suspension at a later date.

Still looking for a computer (reasonably priced Mac) to upload all the photos I've been taking of the progress.

Some news on the Cafe Bike Project:
It appears the rear rim is a tad bent and one spoke is loose. I've been wanting to change that damn rim since I got the bike because that 16" rim ruins the Cafe look. I bought a brand new chrome 19" 2.5 drop center rim for a Harley off eBay that should be coming in next week. I also put an order in to Buchanan and ordered new stainless spokes for the front wheel (rusty as hell) and custom length for the new rear rim. Luckily I found 1 place in the desert to balance and true rims, that has a shop right across the street from my work! All I need now are new tires (front tire is cracking and the rear needs a bigger size to fit the rim) and I've been eying a set of Avons.

Later.
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old September 19th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #72
max16v
Forum Member

Default Re: Das Straßenzerstörer

Got my computer at work to upload all the build pics, so the rest of my post will finally have pics!

I'll start off with Das Straßenzerstörer.

Since I started the conversion to right hand drive, I ran into clearance problems with the master cylinder, being LHD, and the tunnel. The fix was to notch the frame head and gain clearance for the break light switches and hard lines.
Problem:

Fix: Cut a square shape out of the sides and fab up plates to fill in. The original metal was 14-12g steel and the local hardware store only carried 16g. So, I made templates, cut out two of each and welded them together for rigidity. I'll probably brace up the framehead later on.

After that, I fabbed up some bolts for the new RHD pedals since I couldn't find any of the size I needed. I took a trip to the local h/w store, picked up some solid rod, bolts, nuts, and washers. This is what I finished with...

Welded the bolt to the rod

Cut of the bolt head and made sure the threads were not damaged

Cut the rod to length

Welded bolt head on

Viola!

Works like a charm

Bolted down the end of the RHD pedals for more support

I did lots of welding and grinding to the C pillars which caused LOTS of warping to the sheet metal. I fixed that.

Cut out warped metal:

Patch welded in:

Thats all for today. It's time to go home and tinker with my bike.
Next update: Shifter extension using Type 1 stock shifter an NO rotation while shifting and works well! All explained later.
Also will update on spring plate swap from IRS to Swing Axle now that I got some needed parts from Chirco this past week.
More updates on the Cafe Bike - new 19 rear rim!, new Avon tires. Spokes will be coming sometime soon, I hope. I'll be installing new braided steel lines when I get home today. Will take some pics of that too.

Here's my latest SCORE from the previous Pomona Swap Meet that I attended with Joel (Tequila) and I actually think he was sober! Oh, wanted to thank Joel for sending me a quick shift kit! You kick ass man.

Vintage gas cans that will be fully functional on my v-rod (no gas gauge...)

SW amp gauge and shifter lockout plate that I haggled from $2 down to $1. Finally let me put my shifter together.

Peace out!
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:38 AM   #73
max16v
Forum Member

Got more update for ya.

I'll start off with the work done to CB750 Cafe bike on Friday after work.
I replaced the front brake line with braided hose and also eliminated the brake switch assembly that attaches 2 pieces of hose together, and installed a brake switch/banjo bolt at the M/C.

Old hose: its ugly and scary

Brake switch assembly and line:

Yeah, scary:

Now for the new shit:
Goodridge Brake line ordered here

Brake switch/banjo bolt assembly:

New hose:

Here's the brand new rim I bought for the rear of the bike that came off the front of a Harley. 2.5 x 19" D/C

And some new rubber that arrived in the mail this morning:
Yep, those are Avon Tires. Since I'm going for the vintage English style look, I needed a tall rim (most early brit bikes shared the same size rims - usually 19s and ran Avon tires) and narrower tires. It will definitely give the bike a narrower look, which I want because it's a fat bike.

I sent an order to Buchanan Spokes online yesterday for new stainless spokes for the front rim, (mine are rusty and ugly) and custom stainless spokes to fit the 19" wheel in the back. I gave them a buzz this morning to confirm and looks like I should have the spokes within a couple weeks!

I'm still planning to ride the bike until I finish the v-rod, and when I do, the bike will be completely stripped down to the frame and rebuilt to make a daily driver that I can still take to shows. That's it for the bike today. I'll follow up later once the spokes come in.
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old September 25th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #74
max16v
Forum Member

Default vrod update

Got a little more progress on the rod done last week. After notching the frame head for the master cylinder, the brake lines started going in. The lines and m/c fit great around the frame head.

I also got the RHD pedals in AND WORKING! Proves I'm not a complete failure.
The main problem with the pedals is keeping them upright and from falling backwards towards the driver. The pedals have a hook that rests against a bolted in piece, that I couldn't for the life of me find, that I had for the LHD pedals. The only fix was to make something.
I took 1/8 x 1 flat steel, cut it to length, drilled and tapped it.
I then used one of the thick metal washers used under the pan that keeps the body bolted on. The body will be channeled and wont be needing those anymore. It's been working well thus far.

Extended shifters are a must for a killer looking hot rod, so I know I needed one. I used one of my old tins of Murray's pomade for the knob

Since it's a stock bug shifter, not a bus, extending them causes it to rotate around when going through the gears. I solved that problem by notching the shift rod and welding pins to the sides of the shifter ball.

After the welding and grinding, I used a hand file to get the pins rounded out and welds ground down smooth so the shifter is smooth.
I haven't had any problems with the shifter yet but if I do, I'll let ya know.

Since the stock shifter was really worn out, I ordered a new shift coupler, urethane bushings, and a new shift rod bushing. That shit really makes a difference.

That's about it for today. I'm aiming to get the c/v joints rebuilt (new boots) and finish up the IRS spring plate conversion to swing axle spring plates. I got some good info from DrivenBuggy who had just done the same conversion last week, so I should have that done by this weekend. With the rear suspension finished, I should FINALLY be able to start the channeling.
'86 Scirocco 16vT
Old September 29th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #75
max16v
Forum Member

Not much of an update today since I caught a cold and it started hitting me on Friday night. Basically my whole weekend was wasted.

I was able to get a small amount of work done to the v-rod. I pulled the beam off and cut off/ground down the steering dampener bracket so I could move the steering box over to the other side. Also got the tie rods swapped but had a small problem with one of 'em. A tie rod end (Lt. thread) won't screw all the way in the tie rod, so it looks like I need a threader to fix that problem.

I planned out how to mount the lever shocks, that I picked up at the Pomona Swap meet a couple months ago, to the front end. I'll get some photos when it's done.

Still trying to rebuild the axles but they are being a complete bitch to take apart. Oh, not to mention fucking messy. I tore apart 1 axle so far and it looks like I need to order some new c/v's since I came across 1 with major pitting in the joint race.
This car is a damn money pit.

On to different news, I received my new stainless spokes for my Cafe bike from Buchanan's today which took my mind off of being sick for a while. I'll take some pics of the new rim lacing and finished product once it's finished, hopefully by the end of this week.

That's it. Move along... move along.
'86 Scirocco 16vT