Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by RichG
- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3

Old April 17th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #2651
Turbo Punk
Forum Member

Default Re: What did you do yesterday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPA_SMURF View Post
Went to a peace rally without getting thrown in jail. Woot...
KICK ASS JOE!!!

Not literally though.

Turbo Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #2652
shemp
Forum Member

Joined up here at Volksrods then went out to the shop and put the vent wing seal in my bug...now I'm working on a six-pack of anger-management juice.
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #2653
Turbo Punk
Forum Member

Went to my friend Glenns house and worked on Wes' dune buggy some more. I finished welding together the drivers side pan while Wes cut the passenger side pan.

In the back is Glenns son's new 74 bug. They pulled the engine to replace the clutch and pressure plate. Tomorrow we are going to be doing odds and ends on 3-4 VW's so we can bring them all down to get inspected as the annual Dust-Off is a week from sunday.

Old April 20th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #2654
Turbo Punk
Forum Member

Drove the hell out of the turbo bug. Went to dinner with friends. Was going to go out with the wife but I developed a migrane head ache. Went to bed, 15 minutes later I barfed my guts out. Went back to bed, woke up in the middle of the night and expelled what remaining guts I had missed the first time. Took some more migrane meds and went back to bed. At 5:00am I woke up and felt GREAT. Hungry but great.
Old April 20th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #2655
welshj
Forum Member

Spent the entire weekend at the VW classic in fredericksburg!

Slep on the ground in a sleeping bag, worked on two cars to help out fellow dubbers, and had my first bison steak!

Awesome time.

I saw one guy in a Volksrodder shirt buzzing around on a mini bike.

Tried to find EJ hanging around the no mercy ambulance...

but no luck.

joel

'72/62/67/65/63/? bug on bags, hairless....(shaved) http://www.aircoolers.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post

It's "Cut, Weld, Drive"....not "Moan, Whine, Bitch.
welshj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #2656
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Punk View Post
Drove the hell out of the turbo bug. Went to dinner with friends. Was going to go out with the wife but I developed a migrane head ache. Went to bed, 15 minutes later I barfed my guts out. Went back to bed, woke up in the middle of the night and expelled what remaining guts I had missed the first time. Took some more migrane meds and went back to bed. At 5:00am I woke up and felt GREAT. Hungry but great.
That's exactly how my 8 year old does it...quickly develops a migraine, barfs a lot, sleeps and usually wakes up fine.

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
bugdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 03:26 AM   #2657
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I loaded up my dune buggy and parts and brought it to my house.

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Scott76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 04:05 AM   #2658
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

I didn't do much, But hubby rebuilt his super's engine. The rear main was spinning. New internal everything. Supposed to be copy of mine.
Got it all together, broke in, tuned,,,sounded awesome at idle, even spun the tires when he went for a test drive....... but,,,,,,,,, well, now he knows what happens when you write the wrong part number down~ it falls flat, no power.
Looked it up, WRONG CAM!!!! Oh but with bigger heads, and a set of dual carbs it'll run sweet~
for the strip!
So now it's out , back on the stand, ready to break in half to change the cam, if we can find one today.
told ya the relief check would probably go to 'parts'.
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 05:44 AM   #2659
speedfreak
Forum Member

My son and I went Bear hunting yesterday. We didn't see any bears, but we did enjoy the wildlife we did see. 1 Golden Eagle, 1 Coyote, massive amounts of whitetails, and 25 head of Elk. It was sweet!

Larry
speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 05:47 AM   #2660
jkien65
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
My son and I went Bear hunting yesterday. We didn't see any bears, but we did enjoy the wildlife we did see. 1 Golden Eagle, 1 Coyote, massive amounts of whitetails, and 25 head of Elk. It was sweet!

Larry
I miss those day. Just sitting out side and communing with nature. Taking in all the sounds of the wildlife around you.

I was out deer hunting once, no bear tag, and heard this bear ripping apart a downed tree looking for bugs. It was kinda erie. At the same time an owl was hooting from somewhere, the noise filled the whole valley. The sun was just starting to come up. It was awesome.
Old April 21st, 2008, 05:56 AM   #2661
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Whitetail? I was told back in the day PA had whitetail deer. I think its rumors though. You NEVER see them now. When hunting season is in here the woods are like a pumpkin patch. I truly miss spring gobbler. That was my time. Now cars over power my hunting time. I miss it though.

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:15 AM   #2662
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

Celebrated my birthday at White Fence Farm!!!!!! Got free ice cream!!!!
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:43 AM   #2663
Scott H
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiI View Post
Celebrated my birthday at White Fence Farm!!!!!! Got free ice cream!!!!
Jeff
Were there any naked girls bent over the fence?
member #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-nor View Post
sliding volksrod discount, depending on how much i like you.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:45 AM   #2664
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Uhhh, no....
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:56 AM   #2665
Ian
Forum Member

I LOVE FRIED CHICKEN
Quote:
it went to a Samba Monkey.
It's all fun and games until the strippers call the cops.

Volksrods.com - Re-engineering the VW Bug one at a time
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:58 AM   #2666
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

WFF has some of the best in the area!!!!
Jeff
Old April 21st, 2008, 03:06 PM   #2667
Turbo Punk
Forum Member

The wife and I took Porkchop and walked 5 miles for the Heart Walk, after that we went over to our friends and I helped him install the interior on his Ghia.

We then called a couple friends and took the bugs to get ice cream. A fine end to a great weekend (except for the migrane that is).
Old April 21st, 2008, 03:15 PM   #2668
Stray Catalyst
Forum Member

Yesterday I, with the help of a mechanic friend, got the trike started. The previous owner neglected to install an oil pump gasket when he built it... I'm a bit frightened of what the INSIDE of the motor looks like! So I've buying an oil pump and filter from a guy on this forum, for about the same cost as buying the gaskets from most vendors. Once I have an oil pump that circulates oil instead of just squirting it onto my driveway, I can tune it up and get it ready for its first long trip, to a camping weekend at a friend's farm, 110 miles each way. I'll take it (as yet unnamed) for a handful of local test drives before the long trip, but I'm psyched to get it on the road... eleven days to the maiden voyage.

Stray Catalyst
Stray Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 03:24 PM   #2669
speedfreak
Forum Member

So Tim, is that Really your wife with you? From the looks of that pic, it seems like you are hiding her face for a reason!

Larry
speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:13 AM   #2670
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Got the bug aligned and the guy working at the garage (a good freind of my vw mechanics friend) told me to come back in 30 min. and he tuned my carb in for me. I'm tone deaf.

When someone else is tuning in the carb I can hear what they are doing but when I try it I can't hear shit! I don't have that much time tuning a carb yet. I keep trying though.

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:37 AM   #2671
Steve White
Forum Member

I live in an odd part of Ontario and I mean that in the best way. It is probably the most populated rural area in all of Canada and lately its become a retirement area for city folk. Yesterday there was an Eco tour which involved folks that had homes based on alternative methods such as straw bail, solar powered, living roofs, etc opening their homes up so strangers could wander though and observe their oddness first hand.

It was a stunning summer day, the 2nd such day weíve had, and we decided to take the VWubster. This was our first extended trip in the Wubster and like all trips in a rat bus you feel like you are in a parade. People wave, honk and holler and you are kept so entertained that you donít notice the VW bus smell, the shot muffler, hurricane level wind noise, the bad suspension or lousy seats. That turns out not to be the case if you head in to the deep boonies.

People still notice you, some smile, some wave, some cock their hat back and mutter under their breath, some reach for a big stick, but they notice you.

Our first stop was the Indian reserve ( the rez ) and we stopped and grabbed a couple of cheeseburgers at a place called McDonuts. A little dent of a place squished into the end of a monolithic gas station, leather goods, cheap cigarettes, plastic bottled 4 day old whisky, we donít need white men but your money is welcome places that have popped up all over the rez. (Personally I think all the power to them)

As we rolled up in the Wubster you could see all the heads in McDonuts swing our way. We got out and went inside and they all watched us intently from the corners of their eyes as we ordered our McBurgers with McCheese. We requested them to go please Ö..NOW!

Back on the road we were pleased to find the burgers were McFriggin amazing although there was a hair in mine and it didnít look human Ö. off into the county we headed.
The county is a special part of the local rurals. We tease them up north that it is where the men are men and the sheep are nervous but in the county, well in the county everything is nervous.

As we pulled up to the first house I never said anything to the spousal unit but my ass was asleep. This home was off the grid completely relying on a combination of solar and wind. It had a sod roof, passive solar design, algae septic system and it was an example of how to do it if money wasnít an object. I thought to my self that if I could afford that house Iíd live in a Ferrari.

Driving back out their mile and half of driveway I felt impressed by the home as well as by the amount of feeling my ass had recovered.

I realized at that point that I had forgot to wire the heating vents closed when I was under the bus the previous day changing the oil.

It is odd how little heat a VW bus produces in the winter I thought as I watched a fly get too close to the heater vent go into a death spiral a second after its wings exploded into flames. The one thing that remains consistent summer or winter though is the volume of obnoxious fumes sucked from the engine compartment and conveniently sprayed into your face. I can see why those Germans are praised for their engineering prowess as this could not be accomplished without great effort. No wonder hippies loved these things. I hadnít been this stoned since seeing Alice Cooper.

Forty minutes later we pulled off the road into the drive of the second home and I was greeted by two miles of meandering dirt road. Itís these moments that make you question the wisdom of lowering your bus 5 inches. After we parked and half slide, half fell out of the bus I was sure that the numbness in my ass was working it way towards my chest. If Iíd had access to a computer Iíd have googled the medical implications.

It was nice house and it had an amazing view from a bluff several hundred feet up that over looked the Bay of Quinte on Lake Ontario. They used a wind generator that was mounted on a tower that had to be at least 50 feet tall. There was a blind man on the tour and he suggested that being blind he had no fear of heights and that he would climb the tower. I told him it was great idea and started cleaning the lens on my camera but unfortunately the women glaring at me turned out to be his wife.

Off to the next home. We headed deep into the county now and I really couldnít figure out where we were going. I pulled over after driving for 20 minutes and squinted at the map supplied by the tour organizers. What the hell is with people that photocopy photocopies that they then send in to someone to photocopy?

A breeze blew though the windows clearing the fumes long enough for my spousal unit to gain consciousness momentarily and she told me there was someone walking towards us. Iím 6 foot and the Wubster has had the roof chopped 5 inches so I have to lean down to see who and there is this slip of a young woman heading up a long driveway. She came over the passenger side and we smiled and said hi and she smiled and asked if we knew where to get any parts for her BeetleÖ. huh?

Turns out she had a broken VW Beetle. I really donít think waiting for other VWís to coast to a stop in from of your house is a good way to find parts but I refrained from saying so.

We explained who we were and what we were doing and she called her friend Peter over and he tells us he knows the people quite well and gives us directions.

The next house was pretty cool. It was a straw bail built by a young couple that raised beeís, made organic soaps and candles and Iím sure grew their own herb Öer herbs. It was my fav as it was something I could see me and the spousal unit doing, the house, not the herb Ö er herbs.
We spend some time with them and they gave us a tour and it was all very pleasant.

At this point it was getting late in the afternoon. The spousal unit had a headache from snorting fumes, I was having trouble breathing as the numbness spread into my lungs and we had no idea how much gas we had left so we decided to head home.

It was great day all in all but I have plans to drive the Wubster to Nova Scotia at some point which is 22 hours straight though so Iíve gotta makes some changes. We need some seats, suspension, door seals, window seals, and a new heating system. As soon as the spousal unit comes out of her coma and I recover from my ass transplant Iím gonna get right on it.

Ití good to be a hot rodder aint it?

Don't argue with idiots, people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Steve White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:53 PM   #2672
Turbo Punk
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
So Tim, is that Really your wife with you? From the looks of that pic, it seems like you are hiding her face for a reason!

Larry
Yup, that's really her. I'm not slick enough to be able to cheat and get away with it.

Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:18 PM   #2673
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
The wife and I took Porkchop and walked 5 miles for the Heart Walk, after that we went over to our friends and I helped him install the interior on his Ghia.

We then called a couple friends and took the bugs to get ice cream. A fine end to a great weekend (except for the migrane that is).
Show me some shots of that Ghia! It looks incredible!!!!!
Jeff
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:22 PM   #2674
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I pulled the Coyote away from the wall, took it off of it's chassis roller and put it about a foot in the air on jackstands. I measured and cut holes in the pans to drop the seats about 4". I need to make cardboard templates tomorrow then cut them out of sheet metal.
Jeff
Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:15 PM   #2675
Cutman
Forum Member

Yesterday I built and intalled the frame under the pan for support (roofless roadster) and POR 15 (was given to me as a gift) the interior floor. Will finish the floor treatment tomorrow and put the seats back in it.

to be continued...

Tags
what did you do, yesterday