Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Old April 30th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #151
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: I aquired another VW

What a f_cked up day it started out to be, I woke up feeling dizzy & light headed & was in no shape to drive
I had to go give blood for a doctors appointment on Thursday, so rather than chance it, I had my son drive me to the lab to give blood, on the way home I started to feel better
We were driving down the street at about 30 MPH, when all of a sudden, "KaBAMM" we hit a man hole cover, it was almost like the cover was gone, it may as well have been gone, the cover was at least 6 to 8 inches below the surrounding asphalt

Then the ass end of the car started sliding all over the place, along with the sound of steel scrapping the ground, my son kept the V-Rod under control & stopped it safely, then we limped to the nearest side street, I got out only to see the passengers rear tire & part of the wheel completely broken off, just the center hub still bolted to the drum with a flat spot from where it had skidded across the surface

At first, I thought maybe it was my welds that broke, but, after closer inspection, it was the metal next to the welds that just tore apart from the wheel, I guess it could have been from stress, I really don't know, I'm gonna take the other wheel off & have it checked out

I've put over 12,000 miles on these wheels since I widened them, I always try to weave around the pot holes & man hole cover because they all are sitting way below the street surface, but I wasn't driving it at the time, I was in no shape to drive

I plan on taking a 6 foot level back to the man hole cover & measuring exactly how deep it is, as well as getting pictures, it's a danger to everyone driving along that road, I called the pothole report line to report it, I hope they get it fixed along with the countless other man hole cover that are just as bad, hopefully nobody will have an accident from it

Here are a few pictures of my wheel

You can't see it, but there is a 1/4 inch of metal on the piece of the wheel that bolts to the drum, where the metal tore apart, the weld is still intact, I used 12 ga metal to widen these wheels, I just wonder if I should have had them stress relieved after welding

I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to have them stress relieved next time before using on the road, I'm just thankful no one was injured from flying wheel & tire sections, traffic was heavy at the time

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #152
johnny27030
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Glad to hear there were no injuries involved! Hate that your wheel is busted, did it damage your car any?
johnny27030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #153
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

You call that a pothole? In Illinois that's a tiny crack in the pavement! (Scary but true!)
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 03:39 PM   #154
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Johnny, no damage to my car what-so-ever, but, as I said, traffic was purty heavy for being 9:30 am, luckily nobody got hit by a bouncing wheel & tire, it came to rest in oncoming traffic & nobody ran into it, or over it, my hub cap came to rest about 100 yards on the opposite side of the street in a tattoo shop grass, it suffered a few scratches, but they may have been there before hand

Jeff, this was about 4 to 5 inches deeper than most man hole covers, most all of them are at least 2 inches lower than the surface of the pavement, now that I think about it, I prolly should have driven home, I always try to avoid all the man hole cover & pot holes
I'm surprised I haven't been pulled over by the police for weaving inn & around them as I'm driving, but what can ya do about it, not a dadgum thing, ya can't let it bother you to much or your blood pressure will go thru the roof & give you a heart attack or a stroke

Looks like I'm gonna widen another set of wheels, except this time I'm gonna use my stick welder, better yet, I'll have my son (he's a certified welder) stick weld them

I remember back when I was building my rail buggy, I had one of the welder at work do the welding, my boss told me I should be using a stick welder on DC current other wise the metal around the weld would get brittle & crack, after 7 years of off road driving nothing ever broke or cracked, now I wonder if this is what caused my wheel to break when it hit the edge of the man hole cover & the 6 inch step of asphalt, I suppose I'll find out, I may take the wheels off road for a few hundred miles before using them on the street

Ron

RSS
Old May 1st, 2013, 04:07 PM   #155
SlimJim
Forum Member

Ron, Glad you and your son were not hurt and your car did not suffer to much damage, sure could have been a lot worse. I have seen cracks beside welds before. Hope the car will be repaired soon. Jim SlimJim
SlimJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 08:00 AM   #156
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Yeah I'm glad the wheel & tire didn't bounce up & go thru somebodies windshield & cause an accident

I think I'm just gonna buy some wide wheels rather than take another chance

Before that I'm gonna chop the top, I just got a price on safety glass, a piece 43" by 16" by 3/16" thick (which is a bit bigger than an original windshield) will cost me $51.17 that includes tax

I also asked about having it cut to fit, he said an hour at $40 an hour, but I'm gonna cut it myself, gonna go pick it up next Friday

A friend of mine just bought glass from the same place for a military Jeep for $50, he told me that glass shower doors are made from safety glass, I always thought it was tempered glass, but he said you just need to look very carefully for the stamp, some are tempered glass & some are laminated safety glass, just thought I'd pass that along

Ron

RSS
Old May 2nd, 2013, 11:35 PM   #157
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default I named my V-Rod "Fire Bugz"

I've been trying to think of a good name for my V-Rod since I got it, at first it was gonna be "Black in Back" do to the blue paint in front & the gradual change to black in the rear

Since I had my brother throw some paint on it, & the flames, which looks more like real "Fire" than flames
When I told him what I wanted, I cut a few stencils out to show him how I wanted it, when he finished, it was exactly what I had in mind, I suppose it must be a brotherly thing, & that we do think alike about certain things

I'm also a fan of Bugs Bunny, I have a small stuffed animal of Bugs Bunny hanging on & around the inside rear view mirror, we got it shortly after the movie "Space Jam" came out in 1996 for our youngest son who was 4 at the time, he was also a fan of the Chicago Bulls because Micheal Jordan was on the team (yes we were sick of the movie after buying the VHS tape & he wanted to watch it several times daily)

My plans have always been to chop the top about 3"
Now I've decided to remove a 2 to 3 inch section off the bottom of the body just above the heater channel, then once all the body work is finished I'm gonna have my brother paint it the same way, except in a hi gloss paint, I may even have him put a few stripes on it to accent the fire using some red, orange, & yellow, not to much, just a few lines to make the blue & purple fire kinda pop out at you
I'm gonna see what the lines look like on the car as it is now

I've posted these pics before, but once more won't hurt, below is the front of the "Fire Bugz"

So, what do ya's think bout the name?

Doesn't really matter, I like it & that's all that matters, & that's gonna be it's name "PERIOD"

Ron

RSS
Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:20 AM   #158
johnny27030
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

"Period" is a great name!

Oh...thats not what you meant?
johnny27030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:04 AM   #159
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny27030 View Post
"Period" is a great name!

Oh...thats not what you meant?

Yup your right, that's not what I mean

Ron

RSS
Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:13 PM   #160
Wraithblade
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Glad to here your ok bud, but I would call her Chance or Close Call or Lucky, with all the near misses oh Miss Near there you go lol any ways KCVO. ( Keep Calm and Volksrod On)
Wraithblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 06:19 AM   #161
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Well I have always lived my life on the edge, well except for the last 13-1/2 years
I've only fallen twice, at least according to my Doctors, they say they caught me near the bottom both times, I only credit them with 1 of those catches, God caught me the first time when I was 17 back in 1983, two weeks later I met my wife
The second time, that was July 20th 2004 when I had my first Pancreas transplant, 15 hours after they put it in I developed a blood clot, they gave me lots & lots of blood thinner, when the clot wouldn't break down, after 18 hours inside me they removed the transplanted pancreas
I was told that several nurses were squeezing 2 bags each of blood into me for 90 minutes, once the blood thinner was finally out of my system, I stopped bleeding
Hell up until January of 2000, I always pushed everything, there is a train bridge over a small river just west of Cinci, everybody would jump off the tracks into the river, not me, I climbed to the very top of the bridge, then did flips into the river, a few years later after a heavy rain we went to the "jumping bridge" that was the last time I ever jumped, the heavy rain changed the bottom of the river, it was maybe 8 to 10 ft deep rather than 15 to 18 ft it was normally, I almost got stuck waist deep in the mud & sand, lucky for me, I could hold my breath for almost 3 minutes back then, I kept my cool & was able to get out fairly easy
22 years later, my youngest son got into trouble in school, his teacher that had been there for 25 years made the mistake of asking him "if everybody else jumped off a bridge, would you follow" his answer was "yeah, my dad jumped off a bridge all the time when he was about my age" later that day I got a call at about 4:00 pm, it was his phys ed teacher, turns out it was my 7th, 8th, & 9th grade phys ed teacher as well

I've already started widening another set of wheels, gonna have my son finish weld them this time, then I'm gonna normalize & stress relieve them, everything should be fine after that
I know I won't be letting anyone other than myself drive it, I weave in & around all the man hole covers & pot holes, if I'd a been driving I wouldn't have hit that one
I should also put them thru some off road testing, put my rail back together & find the roughest terrain there is, & give it hell

That's it until I start chopping my top, once it's finished I'll post all the pics & show ya's how it turns out

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithblade View Post
Glad to here your ok bud, but I would call her Chance or Close Call or Lucky, with all the near misses oh Miss Near there you go lol any ways KCVO. ( Keep Calm and Volksrod On)

RSS
Old May 9th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #162
mkparker
Forum Member

Folk around here have had good results welding VW centers into Chey PU rally wheels, They come 7" to 8" wide or so. Cut the Chevy center out and the VW center fits nice and snug, weld and go. Might be a little safer.

mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #163
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkparker View Post
Folk around here have had good results welding VW centers into Chey PU rally wheels, They come 7" to 8" wide or so. Cut the Chevy center out and the VW center fits nice and snug, weld and go. Might be a little safer.
I seen that same thing years ago when I was off road in my rail buggy
I have been looking for two 8" wide Chevy truck wheels to do just that, just can't seem to find any, the one time I did find 4 wheels, the guy wanted $30 a wheel, I just thought that was a bit high, he wouldn't even take $80 for all four, now if they had better tires on them I'd have bought them
I'd bet if I hung out in front of a junk yard for a few weeks, I may find a few wheels

I'm gonna spend most of my time getting ready to chop it, just waiting on the glass now, when I get that & cut it to size I'll start cutting the top down
I hope to have it chopped by the middle of July

Ron

Ron

RSS
Old June 9th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #164
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Wasn't sure where to put this, so I put it here

This past Tuesday, June 4th 2013 my grandma turned 100 years old

The video made it onto Jimmy Fallon's show Thursday night 6/6/2013

HERE's the link

Ron

RSS
Old June 9th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #165
65volkswagen
Forum Member

The car is coming out nicely. Did you ever get the top chopped yet. Lets see some pictures if you did. I am always looking for different ideas for mine.
65volkswagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #166
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post

HERE's the link

Ron
Very cool Ron! That is a volksrod cake for sure! Hope you can still outrun her if she wants to "get after you".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #167
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post

HERE's the link

Ron
Hilarious! One of my student's brothers was a head writer on that show. They guy who did Hubble Gotchu.
Jeff
Old June 10th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #168
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65volkswagen View Post
The car is coming out nicely. Did you ever get the top chopped yet. Lets see some pictures if you did. I am always looking for different ideas for mine.
Nope not chopped yet, I was planning to start on it this past weekend, but, now I need to be able to drive it for the next 2 weeks to take my grand daughters to swim lessons, so I plan to start it the weekend of June 21st, I need to have it finished up by July 27th for a local car show that's on July 28th

I'll get pictures once I start, all I need to do is have the top completely welded back on so it's structurally strong enough to drive, I can always install the glass later

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ghia View Post
Very cool Ron! That is a volksrod cake for sure! Hope you can still outrun her if she wants to "get after you".
I sure thought it was, the birthday inferno

I wasn't there that night of the cake inferno, I spent the day at the doctors & was to tired to make it, they cut the video off a few seconds before the cake was extinguished, my cousin blew them out, my mom was the one who carried the cake in once she got all 100 candles lit, on the uncut version it looked even more dangerous, luckily mom & grandma still have hair

Yesterday they had a big party for her, they had the cake & all the candles laying on a table there for all to see, I forgot my camera so I didn't get any pictures

101 candles next year

Ron

RSS
Old June 25th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #169
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Well I didn't plan to do any major work to my V-Rod, but I needed to replace the shifter rod bushing, mine is getting harder & harder to shift into second without hitting reverse
So Sunday the 23rd I decided to start removing the front suspension, I just disconnected the steering column, then removed the 4 bolts that hold the beam extender on & it was off, I just rolled it out from under the front of the car & let it sit
Monday morning I started the day by removing the shifter & shifter rod & everything else needed to install the bushing, all purty dadgum easy

The tough part came when I was trying to put the bushing in, between dropping it into the tunnel a few times, I finally dropped it in the tunnel & it rolled back to far for me to reach it with my hand to get it, it was about half way between the shifter hole & the rear cover plate hole
It took me most of yesterday & 4 hours this morning to push the bushing all the way back so I could grab it with my hand

Then I started thinking about how I replaced that same bushing many years ago in my first Bug, I found a piece if tubing that was much smaller than the shifter rod, used a zip-tie to keep it tightly around the piece of tubing, then pushed it into it's hole, took my knife & cut the zip-tie & it expanded & fit right into it's groove, then greased it up & pushed the shifter rod into the bushing, connected it to the front of the transaxle, then put the shifter in & HOT Damn I'm DONE

Then today before I bolted the suspension back on I thought it would be a good time to fix the front sheet metal, most of the front was missing from about the center of the front wheels forwarded, I got my hands on the front quarter panels & apron & bugger welded them on a long time ago, everything was bent up purty bad, so it wasn't easy getting it to line up, it can be seen when the hood is closed, it gets a gap in it & it keeps getting bigger until it gets to the tip of the hood

I'm gonna try to fix that gap, most likely by welding new metal in to close up that gap, I also plan to raise the front section of the body up off the pan, then I can fix the bottom front corners of the front fire wall, the PO welded metal over the rust, but failed to weld the bottom of it to anything, it just kinda hangs there & when I hit a large bump or pot-hole the body just pushes up into the bottom of the fire wall, so I'm gonna get all that fixed & like new so it has something solid rather than rust

A few pictures of the hood gap, I'll hafta get a few pictures of the fire wall area tomorrow

After I get all this work finished & looking better, I may go ahead & start chopping the roof

It all depends on how much welding wire I have left once I weld up the front

Ron

RSS
Old June 25th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #170
Pop
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Ron -- I was in your area last Fri, Sat, and Sunday for my Grandson's wedding. Large wedding and didn't have much spare time. If I had the time, I was thinking of stopping by and saying hello. Those streets are rough, I think I must of hit the same pothole, but no damage. Pop
Old June 25th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #171
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Kinda looks like a gasser volksrod in that shot.
Jeff
Old June 27th, 2013, 06:59 AM   #172
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop View Post
Ron -- I was in your area last Fri, Sat, and Sunday for my Grandson's wedding. Large wedding and didn't have much spare time. If I had the time, I was thinking of stopping by and saying hello. Those streets are rough, I think I must of hit the same pothole, but no damage. Pop
It couldn't have been the same pothole, it was a man hole lid that had sunken a few inches

I went by there 4 weeks ago & they just filled over the man hole cover & all, it's not very smooth tho

& yes the roads are terrible round here, I hafta keep checking all the nuts & bolts on my car, they seem to rattle loose every few weeks

Jeff
It sure does, hmmm, maybe I'll leave it up that high in front, won't be able to see where I'm going, but I can't see that well as it is

Ron

RSS
Old July 29th, 2013, 06:19 AM   #173
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

So a few weeks ago I started getting my car ready for the 24th annual "Rolling on the River Show" that a few miles from me, this will be the 3rd year I put it in the show
Yesterday was such a beautiful day that over 500 cars were at the show, all the proceeds go to different charities around the township, so it really helped out, most years it always in the low to mid 90's with a feels like temp of 102 so it was a nice change

Back to my V-Rod, I had to weld up a hole in the spare door I put on when the hinges seized up on the original, I cut the section out that the door handles mount to & sold them to somebody from here, so I drove it around all summer with a hole in it, I cut the sheet metal off one of the 56 or 57 baja I have & welded the metal into the door on the passengers side, looks much better with a handle instead of a hole covered in a piece of cardboard, it looks ok, but my plans include suicide doors, so I'll start with the passengers side first

I also changed the exhaust, I went to adjust the valves & had to take the exhaust off in order to get the valve covers off, so I just put the exhaust from my rail buggy on along with a later model deck lid, I cut a hole in the deck lid a few years ago when I first started driving the V-Rod, I did a bit more cutting so the deck lid closes all the way & doesn't touch the deck lid, that bumping the header really drives ya crazy after a few hours in it
Other than that I just painted the wheels red, I have a set of Oldsmobile rally wheels, I just need to find a few of the chrome trim rings for them, two 15" by 7-1/2" wide on the back & two 14" by 6" wide up front, I just need to get 1 tire so I can put the front ones on

I also hope to get the top chopped before the end of September for the upcoming VW & Porsche show, but we shall see about that

Just a few pictures

Here it is with one of the matching front wheels sitting like it's on the car, still needs the be painted

So I hope the next pics I post are with a chopped top, I may hafta drive it with some off road goggles on if I don't get the glass in time, but, ya gotta do what ya gotta do

Wish me luck!

Ron

RSS
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:13 AM   #174
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Doesn't look like I'ma be chopping the top any time soon, had something more important happen, so now I'm going a different way

Bout 2 weeks ago I had a rear wheel cylinder go out, so I decided to exchange the rear suspension parts with some I painted, plus I plan to raise the back end up to stock position, once I get that done, I'm gonna fabricate some spring plate pieces to lower the rear a few inches while keeping the rear torsion bars at stock position
I also found the beauty/trim rings for my wheels, now I need to put the rest of the chrome pieces on that go around the 5 holes in the wheels, then I'm a make some custom center caps (wicked evil grin smiley here)

If I find the time, I'll brace the body & pan, then cut the roof off, that way I'm committed

Pics

I hope my next post involves the chopping of the top, or the doors committing suicide

Ron

RSS
Old September 26th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #175
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Once I get the adjusters on the beam & get it mounted & set where I want it, I have been thinking about making new taller front shock mounts, that way it doesn't compress the shocks so they bottom out & bend the shafts, I think 2 to 3 inches should be fine, because that's about how much lower I want the front, yes I know I could buy the shorter shocks, but I'd rather it have as much of the stock suspension travel as possible without anything binding, altho I'll hafta see about the ball joints, I may hafta go with new ones made for dropped beams

Wish me luck, as I work slow, I have until Sunday morning, but about 5 hours of my Saturday are already gone, so I may hafta go out later tonight & finish the beam adjusters

Ron

RSS