- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old December 1st, 2012, 06:47 PM   #126
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

Default Re: Tools for Creativity

"I feel you should be doing exactly what
you want to do in life, how you want to do it,
when you want to do it. Otherwise you are wasting your life, and wasting the talents that were given to you.

Life is like a precious, short, gift."

Indian Larry

http://youtu.be/6C0A334gSqo

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #127
Unkl Ian

http://youtu.be/KuNQgln6TL0

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old December 30th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #128
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

I'd never believe anything that hack says.
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #129
Unkl Ian

"If you think you can do a thing
or think you can't do a thing, you're right"

- Henry Ford

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old January 1st, 2014, 05:18 PM   #130
Unkl Ian

How to be more creative: http://dailyinfographic.com/how-to-b...ve-infographic

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Last edited by Unkl Ian; January 1st, 2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old January 1st, 2014, 05:44 PM   #131
Unkl Ian

29 ways to be more creative: http://dailyinfographic.com/29-ways-...ve-infographic

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old March 23rd, 2014, 11:12 AM   #132
Unkl Ian

https://www.goodreads.com/work/quote...r-creative-bat

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old March 23rd, 2014, 11:20 AM   #133
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Hey Unk, thanks for the link.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 09:32 PM   #134
marnat3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post

Very cool Unk. Thanks
Make it what you want, conform to no standards but your own--When you think it's done, if you say it's a volksrod---It is
marnat3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 10:21 PM   #135
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
I'm going to read some of these quotes to my students!
Jeff
Old April 5th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #136
Unkl Ian

Words of wisdom from Johnny Cupcakes: http://www.johnnycupcakes.com/blog/2...le-and-bustle/

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old April 7th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #137
Unkl Ian

From a 1927 Speedball guide written by Ross F. George, type designer and inventor of the Speedball pens. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/89368373828696682/

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old April 9th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #138
Unkl Ian

Pricing: http://theabundantartist.com/5-art-pricing-lessons/

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old April 21st, 2014, 08:39 AM   #139
Unkl Ian

"Creativity is just connecting things. When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they didn't really do it, they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after a while." -- Steve Jobs

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old April 21st, 2014, 09:07 AM   #140
Unkl Ian

http://www.bikeexif.com/build-custom-motorcycles - How to build motorcycles for a living. John Ryland of Classified Moto. - Same logic applies to almost any business

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old June 27th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #141
Unkl Ian

Pricing:
http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/201...h-ramit-sethi/

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old June 27th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #142
Unkl Ian

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old September 1st, 2014, 06:19 AM   #143
Unkl Ian

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who'll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you're sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that's almost never the case." -Chuck Close

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old September 1st, 2014, 10:03 AM   #144
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Inspiration is a fickle thing. I personally have a problem that my brain is on overdrive about 90% of the time. And when it's not, I'm asleep! I'm always coming up with ideas and I usually have scraps of paper and notebooks with scribbles all over.
Jeff
Old September 1st, 2014, 03:29 PM   #145
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Back when I first started making knives, I messed one up when I had an involuntary muscle spasm/movement & I pushed when I should a pulled when using my power hammer, it put a nice curve in the blade shape, so I just moved up & hit it a few times to curve it the other way, eventually it had a few nice S type curves in it, I call it my "Snake Dagger", it's my take on a "Kris Dagger"
Turned out purty cool once I finished it, it's pattern welded steel, folded & welded to about 150 + layers, the handle was just something quick & easy I made for it, kinda wish I'd a made the handle a lot better, but, I'm happy with it only being 1 of the 7 knives I ever made

Here's a link to that thread
http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showt...n+welded+knife

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 09:33 AM   #146
Unkl Ian

50 Universal Truths

1. Have a passion for your work. If your work is meaningful to you, your work life will be a joy.
  2. If you can't be passionate about the work itself, be passionate about the reason you do it. Maybe you don't love your job/company/career, but the money and benefits are good for your family. Be passionate in your choice to do right by your family.
  3. If something needs changing, be the one to lead the change. If you dislike your job but are stuck, work on getting the skills that will get you unstuck. If there's a problem at your office, work on being the one solve it.
  4. Start small and build from there.
  5. Do the obvious stuff first, then progress to the harder stuff. (Otherwise known as going for the low-hanging fruit.)
  6. If it's not broke, don't fix. Do improve it.
  7. The hardest lesson to learn is when to keep going and when to quit. No one can teach you that. At some point, you have to choose.
  8. The definition of crazy is to do the same thing the same way and expect a different result. If the result isn't good, change something.
  9. No one succeeds alone.
  10. Ask for help. Be specific when asking. Be graceful and grateful when help comes.
  11. Surround yourself with positive people and you'll have a positive outcome.
  12. Embrace diversity. The best way to compensate for your own weaknesses is to pick teammates who have different strengths.
  13. People experience the world differently. Two people can attend the same meeting and walk away with different impressions. Don't fight that. Use it.
  14. You don't have to like someone to treat that person with respect and courtesy.
  15. Don't "should" all over someone, and don't let someone else "should" all over you.
  16. No matter what you do or how much you achieve, there are always people who have more.
  17. There will always people who have less, too.
  18. No matter how much you excel at things, you are not a more worthwhile human being than anyone else. No one else is more worthwhile than you, either.
  19. If you spend most of your time using your talents and doing things you are good at, you're more likely to be happy.
  20. If you spend most of your time struggling to improve your weaknesses, you're likely to be frustrated.
  21. Practice is the only true way to master a new skill. Be patient with yourself while you learn something new.
  22. The only way to stay fresh is to keep learning new things.
  23. To learn new things means being a beginner, and that means making mistakes.
  24. The more comfortable you grow with making beginner mistakes, the easier it is to learn new things.
  25. You will never have all the resources (time, money, people, etc.) that you want for your project or company. No one ever has all the resources they want.
  26. A lack of resources isn't an excuse. It's a blessing in disguise. You'll have to get creative.
  27. Creativity and innovation are skills that can be learned and practiced by doing your usual things in a new way.
  28. Take calculated risks.
  29. In the early stages of a company, career, or project, you'll have to say "yes" to a lot of things. In the later stages, you'll have to say "no."
  30. Negative feedback is necessary. Don't automatically reject it. Examine it for the nuggets of truth, and then disregard the rest.
  31. When delivering criticism, talk about the work, not the person.
  32. Think big. Dream big. (The alternative is to think small, dream small.)
  33. Treat your dream as an ultimate roadmap. You don't have to achieve your dream right away, but the only way to get there is to take many steps toward it.
  34. If you think big, you will hear "no" more than you hear "yes." They don't get to decide. You do.
  35. How long it takes you to create something is less important than how valuable and worthwhile it will be once it's created.
  36. If there is one secret to success, it's this: communicate your plans with other people and keep communicating those plans.
  37. Grow your network. Make an effort to meet new people and to keep in contact with those you know.
  38. No matter what technology or service you are creating/inventing at your company, it's not about the product; it's always about the people and the lives you will improve.
  39. No matter how successful you get, you can still fail and fail big.
  40. Failure isn't a bad thing. It's part of the process.
  41. Things always go wrong. The only way to keep that from hurting you is to plan for that.
  42. Learn how to respectfully, but firmly, say "no."
  43. Say "yes" as much as you can.
  44. In order to say "yes" often, attach boundaries or a scope of work around your "yes."
  45. No matter how rich, famous, or successful another person is, inside that person is just a human being with hopes, dreams, and fears, the same as you.
  46. Getting what you want doesn't mean you'll be happy. Happiness is the art of being satisfied with what you already have.
  47. Working with difficult personalities will be a part of every job. Be respectful, do your job well, and nine times out of 10 that person will move on.
  48. For that one-out-of-10 time, remember you aren't a victim. Do what you need to get a new job.
  49. As soon as you have something to demonstrate, get an executive champion to back or support your project.
  50. Focus on what you want, not what you don't want.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old November 14th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #147
1jarhead2
Forum Member

saved,printed,will be framed and posted on the shop wall. Thanks
1jarhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 07:53 AM   #148
Unkl Ian

Adam Savage on education, and power.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old November 18th, 2014, 08:45 AM   #149
Unkl Ian

Dilbert creator Scott Adams,
on goals, will power, and magical thinking.
http://www.inc.com/john-boitnott/dil...an-a-goal.html

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old December 5th, 2014, 01:38 PM   #150
Unkl Ian

What makes a Journeyman?

Every now and then somebody asks me what I think the definition of a journeyman is. For such a simple question I find it can be a difficult concept to explain to people outside the trades. There are many aspects of the relationship between the apprentice and the journeyman, and the journeyman and the master craftsman that people cannot easily relate to. There are some close professional parallels, but the differences are enough that full appreciation is not an easy concept for me to explain.

If you could wrap up the definition of a journeyman in a tidy bow, it might read that its a certain number of years of experience at a given occupation or that the person has a particular set of skills in a their chosen trade.This is the simplified explanation that I give when asked to explain what a journeyman is to curious people.

What is typically accepted as minimum requirements for journeyman status is 10,000 hours of direct work experience in a particular trade. That time is spent working with established journeymen and master craftsmen with roughly ten percent of that total time in an actual classroom setting such as college courses or accredited vocational training.

Here in the United States for many trades there are no established standards as to what makes a journeyman. Peer review and demonstrated knowledge of the trade is generally accepted for many occupations. Another rough rule of thumb to attain journeyman status is a minimum of four years combined with four different jobs. In the building trades written testing and state licensing are used to establish accepted journeyman status.

One of the key distinctions of a journeyman is that their broad work experience and practical skills allow them to teach and train others in their chosen trade. This giving back of knowledge is one of the most important contributions we as journeymen give our trade. We all stand on the shoulders of the people that have gone before us, so part of the requirement of the title is to help the less experienced.

A true journeymen will have enough trade knowledge and experience to work unsupervised. They have the earned the trust and autonomy to decide how the work will be handled and processed. This trade knowledge has been gained through more than a single work assignment. A single organization with average turnover does not provide the necessary critical mass of new ideas and the deep cross section of problems to create true journey level experience. The true journeyman has absorbed the experience through hours of training and work that now enable him or her to function maturely and independently on a wide variety of problems and situations.

Through years of work and observing others in our trades journeymen will continue to learn and can adapt their skills to the changing methods, materials and economic trends of the world around them. In the "olden days" the journeyman actually traveled around the country honing their craft and expanding their trade knowledge working for, and being vetted by several master craftsmen.

For me it has a much deeper, and emotional meaning. It is much more than a checklist of accomplishments completed. It is an attitude and ethic as well as a deep commitment to the craft, not just a simple toolkit of skills and a pile of time cards related to a given trade.

In the martial arts the relative ranking of the students is highly visible from the color of their belts. Talk to any black belt and you will be surprised to hear that the black belt is really just the beginning instead of the more popular belief that it is the highest achievement. The black belt in the martial arts and the journeyman trades person share that same starting point.

Just like the martial arts, the trades demand a similar level of humility and respect for the craft. You start at the bottom for a reason. This right of passage teaches the key ingredients in a way that bonds the person to the trade and the more experienced crafts people by common shared experience. Without the humble beginnings of every journeyman's career one cannot fully share and appreciate the journey. True journeymen are bonded together through the work and mutual respect of their achievements. The ability to cope with crappy work assignments, obnoxious co-workers and dismal working conditions is part of the tempering process that the apprentice goes through on the road to being a journeyman.

The title of journeyman must not be handed out casually. It reflects badly on all the people who's shoulders we are standing on to allow an apprentice to be awarded journeyman status, or a journeyman to be deemed a master craftsman without the proper depth and breadth of experience required for the title.

Early promotion and relaxed skill requirements handed out by the uninitiated diminishes every craftsman's gift of knowledge to the trade. The promotion without jury or real peer review does a tremendous disservice to the trade when its allowed to happen. Just as we would not want an unlicensed and untrained doctor performing surgery, or an airplane pilot with limited flight experience in the captains seat we don't want to promote inexperienced trades people just to placate a lack of patience and appreciation for the path our fellow craftspeople have left for us to follow.

Chop wood, carry water, clean the shop for a few years. And if you don't complain, we might let you pick up a tool and lend a hand. So if you really want to be a journeyman and a master craftsman follow these simple rules.

Suck it up.Work really hard. Learn to love your work. Be proud to let it define you .You wont be sorry.

Thanks for looking

Tom Lipton

http://oxtool.blogspot.ca/2013/05/wh...ourneyman.html

www.FlyingEyeballs.net