Newest Member: ilgsxrlp

Latest Threads
- by Zee
- by horshak

Old October 18th, 2018, 04:26 PM   #1
horshak
Forum Member

Default hard starting when hot

just had the top end replaced on my single port 1600.Yesterday made the first 500mi. Never had problems in the past. It starts right up when cold and if you shut it down it will start right up. But let it sit for 10minutes and I end up cranking on it till you hear the starter slowing down. It was doing it all the time so I put a new needle and seat in the pic 30/31 carb and it's much better but as soon as you think it's ok it will happen again. Winter is coming I don't want to crank the starter any more than I have to. Any ideas?
horshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2018, 06:03 PM   #2
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Default Re: hard starting when hot

Leaking Fuel Shut off Solenoid?
Old October 18th, 2018, 07:19 PM   #3
perrib
Forum Member

Like the first answer. Shut it down, take off the air filter and wait. keep looking down the carb throat and see if fuel starts dripping. You could have a fuel tank full of rust.
perrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 09:35 AM   #4
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

My 74 Cutlass wouldn't wanna start after it was driven for a while, the starter turned slow, I replaced it and problem solved

Back in 1986 I had an issue with the fuel shut off solenoid, whenever I would park on a hill with the engine on the low end my crankcase would fill up with gas, I didn't know what it was at first so I just parked it with the back of the car on the high side and it stopped, eventually I replaced the carb with one of the progressive ones and it never did it again

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 01:33 PM   #5
horshak
Forum Member

Hmm! had the gas tank out during the rebuild to install a new steering box, it looked clean and I always run a filter but I will keep that thought in mind. Another thought is when it wouldn't start yesterday I quickly pulled off the air filter and noticed a fog in the carb. I backed the choke off because the rebuilder told me he cranked it up. I'm going with you guys idea about the fuel shut off solenoid. I'll let you know. Thanks
Old October 22nd, 2018, 04:55 PM   #6
horshak
Forum Member

pulled the solenoid off Saturday. Cranked the engine over with the coil disconnected and everything covered I thought gas would pour out. Nothing came out. So I sprayed it with carb cleaner then used a cotton swab in the hole. I then took the solenoid, it looked clean, but was loose as the O ring was screwed and I replaced the O ring and put it on the battery on my Harley and it seemed to work. So I don't know if that helped. Drove it today and when it was hot I nailed the gas pedal on the floor and it started pretty easy. I wonder if the float level is too high. But I will continue to test. I guess since the engine is rebuilt things will be different.I'll let you know
Old October 23rd, 2018, 03:26 PM   #7
horshak
Forum Member

here we are again. Went by Midwest Air Cooled they work on the Bug and told him what you guys said about the solenoid and he said thats not it. As a matter of fact he was suprised that I still had the solenoid. He said he takes them out of all the cars he works on. He said they are a big cause of idleing problems when they get old. He said usually he cuts off the plunger and reinstalls the solenoid. He suggested putting another washer under the needle and seat assembly. So I pulled the top off the carb and got another washer from him and installed it. Well I got about 3 houses down the street when the car stalled and would not restart. I walked back to the house and got the tools and removed the top of the carb. There was only about 1/2 inch of gas in the bowl. So I removed the extra washer and the car started and I put some miles on it. I have also had a idle problem it idles, it doesn't idle, it idles, it doesn't idle. I've had like 7 VW's starting with my first car in '67. I have always cussed Solex carbs. So I cut the plunger off the solenoid and hope I don't regret it as on JBugs website they are $25:-( Heading out for more testing.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 03:52 PM   #8
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

Choke ?

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2018, 11:13 AM   #9
horshak
Forum Member

thanks Unkl Ian. Checked everything again this morning. I'm guessin the idleing problem I've deceided is the Engle 110 cam. It seems that if the rpms get low it just drops off and stalls.I drove around today adjusting the idle screw and it will idle but needs to be like 1100 rpm and will still die unless I keep up with the fancy footwork with the brakes and gas pedal. But put it on the boards and it takes off. Kinda wish I could ride in someone elses stock car and see if they have the same problems. I have found if I nail it on the floor to start it when hot it starts pretty good I guess I can live with that

Last edited by horshak; October 27th, 2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old October 27th, 2018, 07:18 PM   #10
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Occasionally I hafta hold mine to the floor to get it to start, usually after I've only driven it a mile or less on a hot summer day
I have always disengaged my chokes, it sucks during the coldest days in the winter, but for the last 5 winters my Volksrod has been our only car that would start when in the single digits

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2018, 07:39 PM   #11
Unkl Ian

MAYBE check the hot valve lash.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old October 31st, 2018, 05:53 AM   #12
Daddy o's 67
Forum Member

I ran a 110 cam in an engine with a H30/31 for years with a working idle solenoid and it idled great. My thought is that the choke isn't set up right. I'd pull the carb, tear it down, clean all ports and passages with carb cleaner and compressed air and then reassemble according to the Bentley manual.
Daddy o's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2018, 11:32 AM   #13
horshak
Forum Member

thanks guys, and Daddy o you have given me hope I will order a rebuild kit.
Old November 8th, 2018, 03:56 PM   #14
horshak
Forum Member

put like 50mi on the bug today. It seems like the trick is if it's hot put the pedal on the floor and it generally fires right up. Drove on the highway drove around the city with a list of things to take care of. One thing on the list was pickup the rebuild kit. It ran great and idled fine even with stop and go driving. Two days ago it wouldn't idle for shit. WTF?

Last edited by horshak; November 8th, 2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old November 8th, 2018, 05:20 PM   #15
Unkl Ian

Is the choke fully open when the motor is warm ?

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old November 12th, 2018, 03:06 PM   #16
horshak
Forum Member

It was the last time I checked but it doesn’t hurt to check again. Thanks
Old November 13th, 2018, 03:56 PM   #17
Daddy o's 67
Forum Member

If I remember correctly, once my engine warmed up the choke was never completely closed at idle, but it would open and close with the Engine RPM once it was warmed up.
Daddy o's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote