Newest Member: jwold

Latest Threads
- by yimbo

Old January 28th, 2014, 11:38 PM   #1
Ace of Shades
Forum Member

Default metal forming ideas
Re:: OT/dodge   

I'm somewhat stumped. There aren't any "aftermarket" parts, and nothing that I can rob parts off of and I need to fix a cab corner in a 36 dodge I'm working on. I'm not sure the best way to tackle it. It's right on the corner, I have body line, curves and compound curves to deal with.
I'm stuck on my idea of cutting the section out and bulding it in two pieces. The flatter cab portion and then the bodyline/crown.

Building the crown by bending the "C" shape, cutting a bunch of relief cuts and bending it to the correct radius. Then make the upper part of the corner, then welding it all together. To me that seems like a lot more work that it might really have to be. Plus a shit load of welding, and on this rusty spot is a big chance of chasing holes up the side of the whole cab, all the heat and warping.

I'm just looking for other ideas on how someone else would fix it. A better way to skin the cat so to speak.

I found it in a shop in Raton New Mexico. I bought it for a quarter. Cracked me up it was called a Gay Camper. It must be old as hell. They would pull that shit off the shelf now days. Because some Homo would get offended.
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU
Ace of Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 05:54 AM   #2
bigguy
Forum Member

Default Re: metal forming ideas

Hammer form and relief cut to make the curved point and reweld in.
Old January 29th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #3
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

All Metal Shaping dot com

Ask those guys... It's a Pita to sign up, but there's a reason for that too. So be patient and get signed up and Then introduce yourself and show them what you're doing...

I think the Hammer form is a good start too. Not 100% sure I'd go that route, but I might. Hopefully you have the opposite side to measure and dink with to get it right. May have to make some Contour gauges to be sure and match it up. That'd be the easy part, actually...

Anyway... If that place isn't enough, you can always sign up on metal meet as well. Lots of great help available from these places. And friendly too.
SCOTTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 04:51 PM   #4
OHenry
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whozawhat View Post
What you don't want to stuff it full of newspaper and old underwear then slather on the bondo?

Seems like that is how to do it,,,

at least my last bug was done that way.
Huh that's how my last 2 bugs were also, must be the same body shop
OHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 05:28 PM   #5
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Make a wood buck in the shape you want it....beat it into submission. One piece of metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 06:11 PM   #6
Ace of Shades
Forum Member

Whozawhat proved me wrong. But after clicking the link and seeing it; I restate, there is no aftermarket parts $230 for that is, wow dude...

I would love to do the old stuff some shit in'er and throw some mud over the top of it, but this and a spot on the cowl by the door hinge is the only real bad spot on the truck (minus the front fender, but that's already fixed). That and the guy I'm doing it for gave me a '00 GMC 2500 for doing it.

After looking at it a lot harder today, the only thing I really need to make is the raised "body line" part. I will have a couple smaller holes to fill but I can do that with either by brazing or gas welding. I think I'll spend the time and make a good hardwood buck for the bodyline and then just drop the money for the eastwood shrinker/stretcher. It would come in handy every once in a blue moon, and the more I look ahead the more blue the moons are getting
I found it in a shop in Raton New Mexico. I bought it for a quarter. Cracked me up it was called a Gay Camper. It must be old as hell. They would pull that shit off the shelf now days. Because some Homo would get offended.
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:16 PM   #7
1jarhead2
Forum Member

I would use a sheetmetal brake and shrinker/stretcher. I had to do the same thing on a 1932 Ford pickup cab.
1jarhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:36 PM   #8
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I agree with the others who suggested hammer & make some kind of block to get the contour/radius you want, then hammer the metal around your buck or what ever it is your gonna use to form your radius, you may also need a hammer & dies for shrinking & stretching the metal until it's close to the shape your wanting, then you will just need to smooth it out

Or if that doesn't work out for you, try what these 2 said below

Quote:
Originally Posted by whozawhat View Post
What you don't want to stuff it full of newspaper and old underwear then slather on the bondo?

Seems like that is how to do it,,,

at least my last bug was done that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHenry View Post
Huh that's how my last 2 bugs were also, must be the same body shop
I bought my 3rd Bug in September 1986, I bought what appeared to be a nice 1974 standard Bug, the guy I bought it from owned a body shop (beware when a body shop owner is selling an old car as it could be full of bondo), my "then" brother-in-law worked at the body shop, he knew I was looking for another Bug, so he drove it home one day so I could see it & drive it, it ran great & had plenty of power, it didn't leak anything & the body looked nice & straight, it was painted a nice gloss black, you know how black seems to let any & all the dings & dents show, this had none, it looked straight as could be, he wanted $1500 I offered him $1000 & paid $1200 for it
About 4 to 5 months after I bought the Bug, my wife & I (we weren't married yet & didn't know she was pregnant either) we went to "the lakes" to hang out (that's what we called them, we spent many days & nights there, they were really reservoirs to water the farmers fields in the area) by the time we decided to leave, it was dark, I ended up driving my Bug into a couple deep trenches left from 4 wheel drive trucks which must have had 40 inch tall tires on them
I was stuck, the pan was resting on the high spot between the wheels, the tires weren't even touching the ground, so I called a friend who had a winch on his Jeep, he came down & pulled my Bug out & we went on our way, the next morning I drove it to work (it was dark & covered in mud) so after work I went home & cleaned it up real good, that's when I noticed it, the front wheel well at the very bottom had been damaged from resting on the pan & pulling it out, so I took a 1 inch wide putty knife & did some investigating, scraped a bit of paint off & that's when I noticed the soft spot, I poked it with a screw driver & it went right thru, I grabbed a piece of what turned out to be news paper, by the time I pulled the paper & bondo out of both sides (no underwear to be found) the doors no longer shut like they did before that night, the heater channels were the same way, filled with bondo, they used duct tape rather than news paper on the heater channels, the bottoms of the rear quarter sections between the doors & the rear fender were the same way, a bit of news paper, duct tape & bondo was used there, it was a very good learning experience
I'll "NEVER EVER" buy a car from some one who owns a body shop, unless I have seen the work being done
If I had not gotten stuck like I did, it may have lasted another 6 months before everything started chipping & cracking away & eventually falling out, I bet he used at least 2 gallon buckets of bondo in that Bug
I learned a valuable lesson with that VW, I never go to look at a car without a magnet with me, I had one guy who wouldn't let me use my magnet, he said it would scratch the paint (I put the felt on my magnet after I got home from looking at that VW), I know it was because he had so much bondo in it that the magnet wouldn't stick, it's the only way I know to check for bondo

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 01:37 PM   #9
nhtriker
Forum Member

How about starting with some similar shaped panel. This econoline van corner ( I know its the wrong side shown )has contours and a start of that body line. Just a suggestion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1970-137.jpg (23.5 KB, 0 views)
nhtriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 07:06 PM   #10
1jarhead2
Forum Member

http://macsautoparts.com/model-a-for...0R3CHL1067873/
1jarhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 09:00 PM   #11
Ace of Shades
Forum Member

Oh snap. I have access to an A that I can measure and look at to see if they are close enough, I also might even be able to rob parts off of it if they are any good. But for $36 with new metal and all that, if they're close they're worth picking up