Newest Member: jwold

Latest Threads
- by yimbo

Old March 6th, 2014, 01:17 PM   #1
OBB
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Chassis & Channeling thought...

Ok while I'm waiting for the oval motor to come back I thought I would start asking some questions about the next endeavor on the horizon...

So we have our Vert project now in the sights and am just thinking silently here now...

I have read a few articles here (and other places as well) and it got me wondering this... For our car it needs extensive work to the front rockers, A & B pillars & the front firewall... I have all of these pieces that came with the it... But again, after some quite extensive reading on what some others have done and documented quite well, I got me wondering if I might have other options that might improve the end result...

So... When I get to the point of seperating this project my thoughts wandered to this...

I started to think about the floor pan and rather than just installing the pan sections "WHAT IF" I were to fab the pan itself using dimensional tubing instead? With this in mind it then got me wondering about possibly slightly channeling the body to what would now then be a much stiffer pan. And If I were to take a route like this would there be any way to propose a safe maximum channel depth you could get away with before you would have to start messing with doors size changes & hinge locations etc...

So in effect kill two birds with one stone... Seems valid in theory to me at the momoent...

Any thoughts? Ideas? or beter yet if some has done this send me a link... (already read the channeling writeup here in the tech section)
ME: No.
OBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 01:29 PM   #2
OBB
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Chassis & Channeling thought...

As an example this chassis I found somewhere... What would be a recomended tube size to make it stiff enough for a convertible body but allow you to gain an inch, two or maybe more of channel into the body while still leaving full size height doors... Following me?

Old March 6th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #3
Jon
Forum Member

Looks like 3/4" by 1.5" rectangular tubing.
If you do buy some of that get at least 1/8" wall.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2014, 03:48 AM   #4
OBB
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Yeah I can guess at whats in the upper pic... And if I do this it will be no less than .125 wall material... I suppose what I'm asking more if anyone has ever done it this way... As I can go eitheway I have replacement heater channels on the shelf but considering the other work that I'm going to have to do at the front firewall & both rockers which is already 90% removed.... and then also the work that will have to be done in the trunk area as well from the PO on the car....

I also have on the shelf replacement sill covers that came with the car as well as the 8 foot wrap around rocker covers too that I can work with... I'm just curious if go this route will it actually channel the body...

I'm only guessing here for the moment and I can easily see putting in a 1.5 or 2.0 x 2.5 tube in there and then offset a 1x1 tube and also a simple guess I can see it dropping a good 1 inch, maybe even 1.5 inches. and then simple trim the heater channel covers I have to cover the ugliness...

Does this make sense?
Old March 7th, 2014, 06:16 PM   #5
Jon
Forum Member

Some have deleted the Heater channel all together and either welded flat plate to the body or welded the body down to the pan.
I have also seen someone weld the pans up on the top side of the heater channels.
I believe what your suggesting will work, don't know the measurements... but It seems like if its only dropping the body 1" it might be extra work and hassle for not enough gain.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 07:58 AM   #6
mkparker
Forum Member

I know this Baja isn't a very similar build as to what you're proposing, but it might give you some ideas. Just a few posts down you can see the 'Vert body with no heater channels.

The link below is about 8 pages into the build, feel free to scroll either way for more pics.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewto...0082&start=165

This is from another 'Vert Baja build.

HERE again just to show a 'Vert body cut up and remounted. This size tubing would be a bit overkill on a Vrod.

Last pic is just to show how a 'Vert body looks with no ugly heater channels or supports showing under the doors.

mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2014, 05:52 AM   #7
OBB
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Thanks for the thoughts guys...

So many nice ideas to ponder on our venture into the unknown...
Old March 15th, 2014, 11:52 AM   #8
radials suck
Forum Member

More mock-up views of vert to tubing w/o channels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ak.jpg (123.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg A8.jpg (104.7 KB, 5 views)
radials suck is offline   Reply With Quote