- by Vrshack
- by bugwhat
- by ahawes
- by Bugula

Old July 11th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #301
unclefargo
Forum Member

Default Re: I aquired another VW

Man you are on fire. You could ask who's blood you got so you can have the same next time!
unclefargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #302
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefargo View Post
Man you are on fire. You could ask who's blood you got so you can have the same next time!
There really isn't much blood, but it has a lot of iron in it, had my 2nd infusion yesterday, next Wednesday is my last, I hope this keeps my Hemoglobin up so I don't hafta get my Arenesp shots

I hafta say, I have felt great until I ran out of Prednisone, it's a steroid used for inflammation as well as a few other things, I took it for 3 years after my kidney transplant because it stopped the inflammation in my joints, so for 7 days I felt like I was 23 again, then 2 days after running out I feel a few decades older than I really am, if it wasn't for the bad side effects, I'd take it daily like I did until those side effects started affecting my body in a bad way

OK back to the V-Rod
So I have until Saturday the 26th to finish a few things to make the V-Rod look better, 1st I'm gonna try to clean up the front fender wells, today I cut 1 piece of sheet metal to fit, I left it a bit over size just in case, the pieces I had weren't big enough, but should work
Then I'm gonna try to modify a set of stock head light chrome rings to fit my head light buckets, still thinking about how to do it so it looks good
Then I'm gonna flip my rear trailing arms & bolt on my drop spring plates, I think I have an idea on how I'm gonna fab up a lower shock mount, may not get that far, but it will still be at the show

Here is a pic of the front fender well sheet I cut, still trying to decide the best way to weld it, may just tac weld it every few inches, then go back & slowly tac the rest of it, I'll need to practice welding some sheet metal, I tried a few pieces today, they turned out like shit, so I just need more practice

Here are a few pictures of a stock late model head light rings just slipped over the head lights, I can't use the original ones from when I crashed the right side head light & ruined the chrome ring
I may need to remove the turn signal lights, then cut something to slip over the bucket that fills the gap, you will see in the pics

Looks good from the front, I may just screw them on & leave em be until I get more time to figure out how I'm gonna do it

After I get the wheel well how I want it I'm gonna have my brother paint it like it was, I might paint the very front a bit lighter blue, then add some blue & white at the tips of the flames to make them stand out a bit more, prolly just mix some light blue, white or possibly yellow, may paint it a few times until I like it

Anybody have any ideas on how to do the head light rings please let me know, if I can find a piece of black plastic about 1/2 inch thick I may turn & bore them to fit in the gap, I'm sure I'll come up with something

If I have time I hope to drop the rear again, I took one of the trailing arms off my buggy, flipped it so the shock mounts are on the bottom, I may just use a set of trailing arms I have already removed the original shock mounts, it will make things much faster

Nothing like waiting till the last minute

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 08:09 PM   #303
rodderdan
Forum Member

If those are Guide headlights new trim rings are available.Check Ebay,Speedway and other hot rod suppliers.
rodderdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 06:27 AM   #304
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderdan View Post
If those are Guide headlights new trim rings are available.Check Ebay,Speedway and other hot rod suppliers.
Thanks, but not sure what kind they are, guess I could measure them & call around, hell if I can find the original ones I may be able to make something to press into the bent one so it's not oval shaped

Ron

RSS
Old July 21st, 2014, 03:24 AM   #305
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Nothing like waiting till the last moment, a week from yesterday is the local car show, I decided to do a little body work to the V-Rod, now Monday morning I thing I'll just finish the passengers side quarter panel & part of the lower drivers side, then shoot another coat of black on it, then take the hood off & have my brother fire it up similar to the way he did it 2 years ago, just a few different shades of blues & purples

I remember why I hate doing body work, but I did surprise myself, last car I used bondo on was the Great White, my 74 Cutlass, started it in the Spring of 88 & painted it white near the end of July of 88, this time I was able to get more bondo on the car than my hands & ground, but the sanding dust sucks
The before picture didn't turn out that well, but all the filler the PO had done was cracking & chipping at the welds, in most places I may hafta take it all off & start over, but I plan to do a bit of cutting on the car "someday" but I'm happy after my 1 day of work, may have it finished up by Friday

Before

After yesterday, the seam going vertical just behind the "key" was where I added the front end from another car, it was cut off there when I got the car, the key is there to hold a zip tie & the headlight wiring & to make everybody ask "what are the keys for ?" I have 1 on each corner, or did at one time, I have plenty more

The rest will be after I'm finished, if I have time I may do this small spot on the drivers side front, I dropped a socket down into the quarter panel a year or 2 ago & had to cut & bend the panel where the PO put a patch panel in so I could get my socket out, a magnet just wouldn't lift it, yeah I have since stuffed a rag into those openings to keep stuff from falling down there, I did weld it back yesterday, don't know if you can see from the 1st pic, but you'll see it in the 2nd

That's gonna be it for this week, hell I may even build up some of the muscle I have lost after getting sick, all the sanding is tiring on my arms, I need a lift so I can stand

After Wednesday I can call myself "Iron-man" that's my last iron infusion, I can tell a difference after just 2 weeks, think I'm a start mixing cast iron dust with hand cream & rub it all over my hands & arms, back when I was blacksmithing & handling iron all day long my iron level was always high, since I stopped in 2007 my iron level dropped, my doc thinks it's interesting that when I stopped is when my iron level started dropping, yeah my wife has a very good memory, she's the one that brought it up to my doc, could work, I have nothing to lose

Ron

RSS
Old July 25th, 2014, 09:29 AM   #306
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Hood is almost finished

Ron

RSS
Old July 25th, 2014, 11:06 AM   #307
DrHax
Forum Member

that looks sweet.. interesting about the iron levels..

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 10:06 AM   #308
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Well, I didn't even make it to the car show today, after a 72 hour period & only 2 hours of sleep, I wen to bed last night & slept 12 hours straight thru with out waking up at all, that rarely happens, I usually wake up twice during the night, my wife said it rained most of the morning until 11 am, I got up at noon today

I guess I can get back to work on cleaning my garage & backyard, then once I get my Eldorado out of the garage I'm gonna start back to work on the V8 Bug, get everything finished while saving my pennies to rebuild the engine & transmission

Ron

RSS
Old August 11th, 2014, 01:11 PM   #309
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Yesterday I finally put my oil filter back on my car, I made a crude mount, once I get my oil burner going I'm gonna cast one out of aluminum

Then earlier today I cut off the deck lid that had the hole in it to clear the exhaust, I was afraid water was gonna get into the air cleaners, I had one from my 66 Bug, then a friend gave me one that is just like it except the snout was gone, so I cut the snout off the 66 air cleaner to match, when it rained I'm purty sure it would go right into them, now it would almost need to rain up in order to get into them, I checked them a few days ago & it didn't have any water in them, but I don't wanna wait until it does before doing something about it
In the future I may make a longer snout for them, until then I have some thin shop vac filters that I'm gonna put over them to keep them from sucking in dust &/or water

Once I weld a piece on the cut edge to stiffen it up, I'm gonna paint some fire under the vent slots to match the front
I need to put the street tires back on it, I guess I'll wait until next Spring now that Summer is getting close to an end, those & the rear bumper/cage make it look to much like a Baja, think I'm gonna build another bumper/cage that goes better with the body lines that doesn't have such square looking corners, as well as swapping the rear trailing arms to lower it back down 4 inches, I just need to fabricate some lower shock mounts so I can keep the air shocks on it, it rides so smooth with them, I can actually buy eggs at the store & get home without them becoming scrambled

Ron

RSS
Old August 12th, 2014, 09:19 PM   #310
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

This evening I waked up the street to my brothers house & copied his fire stencils, if it doesn't rain tomorrow, I'm gonna fire up my partial deck lid to see how it looks, I still need to weld a piece of metal along the cut edge so it doesn't wanna bend every which way when opening & closing it, I may as well do that tomorrow morning, then I'll add the fire, if I don't like it, I still have a can of flat black to paint over it & start again
Here is a pic of the stencils, I cut them from Mayc's boxes, they are a bit thicker than paper, his were so heavy from all the paint on them, one was at least 1/16 inches thick, it definetly had a lot of paint on it

Ron

RSS
Old September 11th, 2014, 08:20 AM   #311
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Fixed everything when I mounted this on the hood

Next on the list of things to do, well it's a really long list, I figure out something

Ron

RSS
Old September 11th, 2014, 08:29 PM   #312
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Perfect!
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 05:23 PM   #313
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

For the last few months I have been thinking about trying to run my own business, then again it has been a long time dream to run my own machine shop, after I learned the foundry work, forge work the more & more I wanted to do it

Then my brother made me this T-shirt a while back, he drew everything up & printed out a nice iron to put on a shirt, it has a pic of my car on the back, then the words "Bastard Metals" I wasn't sure about it, but after a bunch of questions about Bastard Metals & what it is, does or means, I just told them it was my company, then the what do you do? I work with metal, what kind? on & on

Anyway I thought I'd post a pic of the T-shirt, think I mentioned I would do it a few months ago in another thread, not the best pic, it's a bit worn, gonna see if he wants to airbrush another one similar, possibly a different style

If I do decide to open my own company6 I'll make up a better logo, some what like this seeing how when I do, I'll not only do metal work, I'll also do AC VW work as well

Anyone think it's a bad idea to name my shop Bastard Metals ???

Ron

RSS
Old September 16th, 2014, 10:57 PM   #314
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Oh...me likey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 09:17 PM   #315
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

The name is already getting people asking you what you do! It's a cool name and logo. Go with it!
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 07:03 AM   #316
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So back on or around September 20 something my engine sprung an oil leak, a major oil leak, hopefully it's just the front seal, until I pull the flywheel off I won't know for sure
I did however fix the stripped stud on the donated engine, which I still can't thank y'all enough for
Yeah it had it's problems, but me, I have my own problems, so why not everything about me & everything I own has it's problems as well
Crankshaft end play, something I should have checked before even installing that engine, so the first time I pulled it out I checked it, it was 0.016" off by 10, lucky for me I was able to get out my box of shims & get it to 0.004" Not knowing anything about what's going on inside the case, I said a few prayers & my fingers are crossed, I did check the connecting rods to make sure they were torqued correctly, glad I did cause one rod was a few pounds shy, hey I have learned long ago to double check everything & make a note of it, now days I triple check things, CRS gets worse with age
After running for about 5 minutes oil started leaking from the back of the engine, turns out it was the top of the oil pump, the corner of the pump housing had a crack in it, it was the automatic trans oil pump with the tubes crimped over real nice, I have a bunch of those pumps laying around, but not one of them was good, knowing I have more oil pumps I find two, both good , it doesn't leak
But a couple flipping push rod tubes are leaking, I put 2 on, I found the 7 good spring loaded tubes I misplaced back in 93 or 94, only 3 springs I'll get some, I have enough cheap plastic tubes, I made one side out of aluminum, I have enough tube left to complete 4 total, the other 4 will be half aluminum half cheap plastic, at least until I can a pieces of aluminum tube to finish the other 4 pieces, I don't think the other side leaks
Headed out to put the other 2 tubes on the one side, drive it around for a while, then take it on a nice long highway drive this evening
Yesterday I drove it about 20 miles, so far so good, in my oil pump search, I found a crank pulley bolt with a sticker on it, thought it fit right in

Ron

RSS
Old October 23rd, 2014, 02:21 PM   #317
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Maybe you should shorten the Name to "Tard Metals"... Just thinkin' out loud.... < ducking and running> : plasmacutter: (just Funnin', Ron... I Like what you've got there... Works nicely)
SCOTTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 02:30 AM   #318
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTRODS View Post
Maybe you should shorten the Name to "Tard Metals"... Just thinkin' out loud.... < ducking and running> : plasmacutter: (just Funnin', Ron... I Like what you've got there... Works nicely)
Hey now, I can take a joke, y'all don't know my wife, she makes me "the joke" all the time, keeps my life very interesting to say the least

IF I had rebuilt this engine, I'd give up on them after talking to the guy who did, I hope he gives it up, he just turned 73 in September, started messing with rail buggies 6 years ago, built 8 or 9 engines, he never puts the air deflectors under the jugs, he had an engine for sale besides the one I got, he said he started it up once a month, after I talked to him about the air deflectors he told me he started the engine & it started making a funny noise, I think he said he forgot to put in the wrist pin clips, I hope he stops rebuilding VW engine & goes back to lawn mower engines

The last engine I rebuilt in 1986 lasted thru at least 8 or more Bugs & lasted 11 years, it was my buggy that did it in, I was climbing a steep hill that got muddy from the stream at the bottom, we must have crossed it 20 times, I lost traction, over rev'd it & oil started gushing out the front of the case, the crank started going back & forth ruining the case, it had well over 100,000 miles on it at the time, wish I had bought one of those rev limiter rotor buttons, cheap insurance when off roading

Yesterday I drive it about 30 miles, so far so good, it still has a very slight oil leak, I can't tell where it's coming from, it appears to be coming from the rear crank opening, I'd put my sand seal pulley on, but the case has been line bored & the hole is to big, it's a non machine type sand seal kit, so later today I'm gonna whip up a new seal piece that fits the crank hole, BTW, I did find the missing spring for the push rod tube, took me a few hours, but, they don't leak

I didn't think they cut the very back of the case when line boring, that's where they locate the tool from, but, it's over size by the amount stamped on the case, I checked the case I had line bored back in 98 (yes the one I ruined in my buggy), it isn't over sized

I guess this morning I'll see how it does, I have a 60 mile round trip ahead of me in a few minutes, all but 12 are highway driving

Ron

RSS
Old October 24th, 2014, 06:42 AM   #319
DrHax
Forum Member

Wish you luck with the engine. I'm slowly tearing down mine in preparation of a transplant into the 1958.

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #320
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Well good news, & bad news

Good news first, after 120 miles, half of which were on the highway driving, it runs good, but, yes the BUT word, it's leaking oil, not sure where, normal around town driving, it doesn't seem to leak, highway driving is where it starts, haven't found where the leak is coming from, by that time, oil gets spattered all over the engine, wind, pulley, still thinkin it's coming from the rear crank hole, getting onto the pulley & slinging everywhere
It's supposed to rain tomorrow, so I'm gonna whittle up a seal housing so it fits the case, put the sand seal in it, put it in, put the sand seal pulley on, clean it up & head out for the highway & hope for the best

WCS, if it's still leaking, I'll tear it all down, inspect everything, seal it all back up, & hope for the best, again, I have nothing but time

All is well, please don't any of ya's feel bad, shit happens, in my case, I learned many many years ago, I can fall into a rose bush, & come out smellin like crap, or, fall into a flippin perfume factory, good smeelin perfume, & come out smellin like crap I'm lucky like that

It's good I learned to expect the unexpected at a young age, I even had a T-shirt that said that, had a picture of a flower & a man, the flower had scissors & was gettin ready to cut the guys head off, I miss that T-shirt my junior high school picture, I was wearing it, my wife still carries it with her

Ron

RSS
Old October 28th, 2014, 05:58 AM   #321
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Push rod tubes

Below is a pic of my push rod tubes, from left to right (they're a bit mixed up), the second on the left is the first one I bought years ago to fix one that started leaking during an off road trip, it leaked after a while, but it served it's purpose, a few weeks later I bought enough aluminum tube to make a complete set, never did finish any of them, mainly because the one I had on my buggy started leaking, I just did the seal ends & cut to length, took me about 2 hours, you can see the the two pieces on the far left, they just needed to have threads chased on the short piece, a few nuts n o-rings
Next is the cheap black plastic ones I bought a few years later, they suck, when I couldn't find the gold ones I bought a few years later, & a few long ends broke a few months ago, I took the longer pieces I had & made replacements, you can see that to the right of the cheap plastic one
Between the plastic one & the red & gold screw type, the aluminum piece is to short to make the opposite end of the plastic one, I'll eventually get more tube to compete them, even if I hafta cast the tubes, I only need 4 or 5 of them, yeah I used a piece of two for something else over the years
On the far right are the good gold ones that seem to NOT leak so far, I don't think the ones I used back in the 90's ever leaked
I hope you can make out the pictures & my description, probly should have taken separate pics of each, but my camera is broken now, our good digital camera stopped working a few years ago, was a $400 camera

I plan to make a few different kinds of push rod tubes, some of my own design until I find something that doesn't leak, yeah, yeah, I COULD spend money & buy a set, but that's to easy for somebody who enjoys making his own stuff

I have way more time & talent than money

Ron

RSS
Old October 29th, 2014, 06:42 AM   #322
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Yesterday I cleaned everything up, started it up & let it run while I sat & watched, it's dripping out the rear crank hole

I did some searching to see if possibly this case had a "machined sand seal", but I can't seem to find any dimensions listed, I called a local VW engine builder & left a message, hopefully I hear back from him today

I also checked every case I have laying around, everyone of them are the exact same size, except this case, but it just doesn't seem large enough, that is unless somebody cut it for a special seal
I did find a piece of aluminum that I can cut to fit the case & use my non machine sand seal pulley & seal, if all goes well, I'll see if it leaks tomorrow

Ron

RSS
Old October 30th, 2014, 08:02 AM   #323
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Well I feel like an ass now, it doesn't leak oil any more, well it has a real small valve cover leak, but that's easy enough to fix

This morning I didn't feel like driving my wife to work so I could use her car (I don't like driving anything but a VW Bug anyway), so as I checked the oil before leaving to drop my son off, I had a thought (scary huh), back when I had everything apart, I plugged the oil breather hole on the generator stand to keep dust out, I pulled the hose off & sure enough, I left the plug on, it was inside the hose, I pulled it out, put it back on, took my son to work, got out & no oil, except for a small drip under the valve cover
It's about a 25 mile drive, I took it easy, I only went fast enough to keep from getting run off the road, on the way home, I pushed it as hard as it would go, hit 100 + MPH for about 5 miles, got home & no oil, on the engine or ground that is, except the valve cover

Go ahead, y'all can make all the jokes ya want, I deserve them, I had a terrible case of HUBS, Head Up the Butt Syndrome for those that don't know what HUBS is, I had a tremendous "Brain Fart" (took me a few minutes to get the crap out my ears once I pulled my head out my ass )

So after I put a new valve cover gasket on, I'm gonna head out & get my oil burner fixed so I can get my forge & foundry furnace fired up, then spend the winter making knives, flowers & anything else I can do to keep warm

Yes, I'm gonna try to pay it forward, helps others out here as I was, as well as get my assistance program started, it's to help people out who are waiting on organ transplant lists (I have a special name for it to honor someone very dear to me)

The horror stories I heard during my visits to Cleveland Clinic while I was waiting for my call truly saddened me, I just wish I had started this much sooner, I've put it off for way to long as it is

Oh yeah, Halloween Eve & Friday Eve, I may even dress up as myself tomorrow

Ron

RSS
Old October 30th, 2014, 11:19 AM   #324
alykat
Site Supporter

"I may even dress up as myself tomorrow." Now THAT is friggin' scary !!
Old October 30th, 2014, 12:25 PM   #325
1slo3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Nah, you just have OSS! "Oh Shiny Syndrome". You moved on because something else gained your attention...
I deal with that almost constan... huh, what?
1slo3 is online now   Reply With Quote