- by horshak

Old July 1st, 2012, 04:36 PM   #126
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: I aquired another VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkien65 View Post
Wow, good work Ron!. How well will these balance out?
Thank ya

As far as balancing them goes, after I get everything tac welded together & trued up, then finished welded, I'll borrow a "Balance Stand" used to balance big grinding wheels (like THIS) and balance them, it works real good if you know how to use one, years ago I machined a VW flywheel to reduce it's weight, & balanced it the same way, worked out nicely

Then I'll toss in a few ounces of those plastic/rubber BB's to balance things out once driving, the BB's work better than any balanced wheel & tire I have ever had on any car & it only takes a moment to drop in the beads before you seal the tires bead onto the wheel

I was hoping to finish them over the weekend, but life happened, so I hope to have them on by next weekend

Ron

My 1966 V8 Bug AKA - The "Bitch~N~Bug http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showt...etalmaster1766

My 1969 V-Rod AKA - not set on a name yet
http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32284

My Web Site
http://metalmaster1766.webs.com/

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 01:31 AM   #127
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Hey Ron,

Since these rims are quite a bit wider do you think that running a little more weight (like 5 oz per tire) would be more beneficial?

I like the new seats too, look comfy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 05:27 AM   #128
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ghia View Post
Hey Ron,

Since these rims are quite a bit wider do you think that running a little more weight (like 5 oz per tire) would be more beneficial?

I like the new seats too, look comfy!
Yes I do think a few more beads will help, before I put them in the front tires the steering wheel shook at speeds above 40 mph, after putting 2 oz of them rubber BB's in each tire it has no shack at all

From what I read about bead balancing tires (they sell beads just for balancing tires) most said to use 3 to 4 oz per tire, I only had 4 oz total of beads so I split them
I'll probably use 4 to 5 oz in the wider wheels, but if I'm able to get the wheel itself balanced good I think 4 oz will be plenty

I may take the wheel around the corner to a service station where I had been getting gas since 1984 until they quit selling gas, but still stop in to bullshit with the owner & have him put the wheels alone on his spin balance to check out how good my balancing worked out

I hope to let ya's know next week, getting ready to head out soon to start tack welding things together

Ron

My 1966 V8 Bug AKA - The "Bitch~N~Bug http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showt...etalmaster1766

My Web Site

RSS
Old July 5th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #129
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Today I did a little work on the wheels, just need to tack weld everything, check & adjust until true, then finish weld it, which I'll have my youngest son do that, he'll be 20 on the 14th of this month, he's in a pipe fitters apprenticeship, he's been welding steam pipes for the last 9 months, all the welds he's done for me look great

I also had my brother paint some flames up front where it changes from blue to black, I didn't get the surface all that good, just got any oil or dust off, but this is how I plan to finish it after I chop the top, possibly stretch the doors

starts in January of 2013

Pics of the Blue-n-Black Flam'n Bug

Looks like I'm gonna hafta repaint all the black so it matches, & then it's ready for the 2 shows around here, soon as I finish the rear wheels it's finished for this year

Ron

My Web Site

RSS
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #130
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

That looks really good! That will be a great way to transition from the blue to the black! And with a chop? This is going to turn in to quite the little head turner!!

Quote:
Don't be Fucking stupid.

Old July 10th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #131
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Wheels are ready to finish weld, maybe I can get them on before the end of the week

I think I'm gonna do more than just chop the top, lower the rear about 2 inches, stretch the doors a bit, need to put pen to paper soon or just start cuttin, a little off here, bend here, add a bit there, & see what it becomes

There was a picture of a black Bug coupe I really liked the roof lines, if I can find it I post it

Ron

RSS
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #132
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

My brother threw some black paint onto the back section of my V-Rod, leaving the blue flames alone

It looked good when he was done, I hope it looks as good tomorrow, here's a few pics

That's about it for this year, just need to finish & paint the wider rear wheels & put em on

Ron

My Web Site

RSS
Old July 12th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #133
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

How about a walk-around since it's had about 15 hours to dry, the black paint that is

I like it waiting for the rear wheels & I'm gonna try to use an old leather belt to keep the deck lid from bouncing, leather beats a bungy cord any day

The walk around

Yeah, I'd drive it everyday, & I do synchronized driving
I think I heard something about making it a new Olympic Event ya never know

Ron

My Web Site

RSS
Old July 18th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #134
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Last night my brother stopped down to finish up the flames with his air brush, extended more to the front of the car in a different shade of blue or purple, put some flames on the doors, even put some on the front fenders, I'm just gonna set them on the tires at the show

You can definitely call them ghost flames, tough to see until you get close to it, but that's exactly how I've had that paint theme in my mind for the last 30 years (1970 Ford Galaxie 500, was blue with black primer everywhere, we called it "The Bruise") blue up front faded into black in the back

Took a few pictures just before it got dark, then a few more after he was finished for the night, tough for me to see in the pics where he added flames closer to the front of the hood, but I can see it when up close

Few pictures

Now to go finish the rear wheels

Ron

RSS
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:42 PM   #135
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So I finally have my V-Rod finished until January 2013 when I plan to take a saw to it & chop the top & a few other ideas

It has decent paint, I put the 8 inch widened wheels on the back, so as far as I'm concerned, it's finished for the year

Here are a few pictures of it with the wheels painted, & the front wheels look close, I painted a set of VW wheels for the front, I just need to find 1 tire to match the 1 good one

Bout the only thing left to do is cut & fit the carpet, but that can wait

So what do ya's all think, 2 months shy of 2 years since I got it home, 5 months to get it roadworthy, & been driving it ever since

I'm happy with it, I just need to rearrange a bit of metal here & there

Ron

My Web Site

RSS
Old October 4th, 2012, 04:22 AM   #136
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

For the past few years I have seen quite a few VolksRods running 10 - 12 inch wide rear tires, I like the look & have wanted to do the same, I made the rear wheels 8 inches wide because I didn't have tires wide enough for anything else

Then a month or 2 ago I was lucky enough to get 2 used Mickey Thomson 28 x 12.5 x 15 inch tires, they aren't the best, just a little less than half tread

I have a question about rear wheel bearings, if anyone who has run 12 inch wide tires could give me an idea about a better bearing ?
I know a wide tire like that has to be purty rough on them

Last week I decided to get started on widening 4 more wheels, two 10" wide for the rear, & two 6" wide for the front, I can prolly take my time on them so they can go on next Spring

I'm getting ready to start Phase 2 of my V-Rod, building a custom pan for it to drop the body, changed my plans a week or 2 ago once I dug the IRS rear pan I had buried in my garage, I cut it up in 1994 with plans to build a 4 seat Buggy, but that's not gonna happen, here's the link, the last post explains the change of change in plans
http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36192

Here's what I did last week, rolled 3 pieces of 12 ga x 8 inch wide x 4 foot long sheet metal for the wheels, once I get the pan ready to roll I'll finish the wheels, then start modifying the body until it's how I picture it in my mind, I'd draw/sketch a picture of it, but I need a ruler to sign my name, otherwise it looks like a 1 year old got hold of a pen or pencil

Ron

RSS
Old October 5th, 2012, 04:43 AM   #137
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

A few months ago I made a VW connecting rod into a head-lite bracket, I made a piece to bolt the lites to the piston pin holes, it bounced around more than I liked so yesterday I fixed it

I had a little propane left in my 100# tank, just enough to twist the rods 90 degrees so when bolted to the torsion tube the wrist pin holes were straight up & down, one less part & now they are nice & sturdy, no bouncing around anymore

They are tough to see on the car, so I painted them white & put them on

The last picture is looking up from the bottom, you can see how I had to bend them outward so the hood cleared them, when I get more fuel for my forge I'm gonna twist another set & stretch them about 2 inches longer, I think they need to stick out farther

Now the lites are even again

Ron

RSS
Old October 5th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #138
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

Hey Ron, those look cool!
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #139
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Thank ya

I think I'm gonna take the other 2 rods & twist them about 3-1/2 turns & stretch them a few inches longer, they sit back about 2 inches farther than they were originally

I just started working on the oil burner I got, along with 200 gallons of fuel oil, I'm gonna mix a bit of old engine oil in to stretch the oil out, plus it's free, I hope to eventually run the burner on used motor oil mixed with kerosene

Winter is gettin closer & closer, so I can forge some parts, knives, & blue roses, as well as heat my garage

Ron

RSS
Old January 7th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #140
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I updated my build thread 2 weeks ago today, replaced my bungy cord deck lid & hood latch with a couple leather belts, put all new tie rod ends & ball joints on, it steers a whole lot better, specially after I aligned it

Eventually I'm a take off the chrome handle & fix the inside latch cable so it can't be opened by just undoing the buckle

I dropped the front back down, the coil overs were just to rough a ride, so I replaced them

After I put the front suspension parts on I checked & adjusted the toe, bout 27 years ago I found two pieces of galvanized round tubing, one fit inside the other nice & snug, been using them to adjust the toe on all my Bugs over the years. It can be a pain in the ass at times when checking the rear side of the tires, except on my rail buggy, anyways I decided to modify them pieces of tubing so I don't hafta balance it on blocks, welded a foot to each piece so they can't roll, then I welded on some uprights to check the inside of the tires/wheels (I use an indicator & check both the tires & rims for run out before checking anything, had 0.040" TIR on the insides of the front tires, & 0.010" on the wheels)
Here's a picture of this precision alignment tool, it's gotta be accurate to within an eighth of an inch
Sure beats paying $65 for an alignment on $20 worth of tires

Now, on the nice sunny days, I'm a start cutting up the material so I can finish the floor pan, can't remember when I started it, I hope to get a little work done to it on the dry days, just something about welding in the rain or snow that bothers me

Yeah, yeah, I know they do underwater welding, but I'm not set up for that

Ron

RSS
Old March 8th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #141
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So I put one of the Recaro seats in my V-Rod a few days ago, dadgum do heated seats make a difference when you have no heat at all, I was all nice & warm yesterday & this morning

Now as for the buttons that control the seats, I know what 2 buttons do, one turns the heat on & off, the other button reclines the back rest of the seat
There are 3 blue buttons & 1 other rocker switch I wish I knew what they did, so if anybody knows please let me know, I don't know what they do, or what they are for, but I'd like to know

I did a few searches for Recaro seats & can't find anything about them, it might help if I knew which seats I have, I was told that they were out of an 80's or 90's Porsche Carrera, but I can't be certain, here is a picture of the control buttons on the seats, I marked it with arrows & a few words showing which buttons I know what they do, the rest I have no idea, almost afraid to push on them as it could have an "ejector" button

Here's a picture of the button controls from the drivers seat, if anyone can help me figure out what they do, I'd greatly appreciate it

A few in the car

Maybe I'll get the other one in this weekend

I also put the disc brake set-up on my V-Rod, I had been working on it last summer, below are a few pictures, it stops super nice & super fast

Below you can see the caliper bracket & where I needed to machine some metal off so the caliper would be centered over the brake rotor with brake pads in it, I also took a tiny bit off the brackets I made

I'll be updating it a few more times this Spring, so I better get moving, I still have another seat to put in, then I need to decide how I'm going to get the emergency brake cables hooked up, may do that this weekend if I can find the time & energy

Ron

RSS
Old April 12th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #142
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Well it's always something, a few weeks ago my passengers door started getting rather tough to open & close

So yesterday I decided to try & fix it, when I got this car, the PO replaced the passengers side floor pan & heater channel, first thing I did was to replace the drivers side pan & heater channel, while doing so I noticed that the passengers side didn't have any bolts holding the pan to the heater channel, it turns out that the PO welded the pan & heater channel together all the way down the side, plus the threaded holes did not line up with the holes in the pan
Yesterday I cut the entire pan from the heater channel to see how far the holes were off, the heater channel appears to be inward almost 3/4" as well as 3/4" off from front to back, so either the heater channel needs to be moved back toward the rear 3/4" or the pan is back to far, it really sucks

So today & the rest of the weekend I'm gonna remove the body from the pan, then cut the pan out as well as cut the heater channel out, then drop the body back down, start the pan to heater channel bolts, then line the floor pan & heater channel up so I can get the bolts started into the holes a few turns, then proceed to tac weld everything together & make sure the doors both fit their openings correctly, as well as open & close properly

It's gonna be a real PITA, mostly because I need a car to drive at least 3 to 5 days a week, so it needs to be finished by Sunday the 14th

Guess I'll need my my angle grinder with a cut off wheel (where is the angle grinder smiley??) then my so I can be by the 15th

April 15th is also the day I met & started dating my wife back in 1983 30 years ago

Ron

RSS
Old April 13th, 2013, 06:45 AM   #143
mkparker
Forum Member

Seats - looks like the seats are Recaro Classics
here's a shot of another;

I found this on MBWorld site:

I rebuilt the seat control panels with new switches.
The panel includes controls for the power seat back ( black with arrows ), Seat heater ( black illuminated ),
side bolster air bladder pump ( three blue ) and air bladder bleed ( red ).
The panel will be installed and bypassed for the seat back operation which will be controlled by the stock door mounted switch

The early AMG builds were extremely expensive and the Recaro seat option in 1988 was $10K

Last edited by mkparker; April 13th, 2013 at 06:48 AM.
mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #144
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Hey Ron! Glad to see that you are still at it....but that is a bunch of work! PO's are sometimes a bummer (I wonder half the time what the hell goes through their minds) as it seems I spend alot of time redoing or undoing whatever good idea they had.

On the flip side though, if it weren't for PO's, I probably wouldn't have come across half the great deals I have, since often it is because they are in over their head or have done something stupid that they don't want to fix. Usually means a great bargain for me.

MK - surprized that you didn't switch those blue buttons out for green ones! LOL!

Quote:
Don't be Fucking stupid.

Old April 16th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #145
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

MK, thank ya for the seat info, I've Googled just about every combination of words & phrases & only found one web site that had a bit of info about the buttons, but it had nothing about the 3 blue buttons
The only thing my seats do is the get hot, & I can get the back to move, I'll most likely hafta take everything apart to see whats wrong with the air pump, or what ever creates air, then fix it
These seats are in purty good condition, so when the seams start to break (there is one small break in a seam) I'll take them apart & recover them as well as fix everything else

d3, yeah I'm still at it, after a few days of doing absolutely nothing, you would think I'd be all rested up, but it does the exact opposite to me, all my muscles shrink up & I'm stiff as a piece of steel pipe

As of yesterday I have all but two bolts in except two of them, the nut that's welded on the inside of the heater channel, I also tac welded the pan to the center tunnel, today I'll finish welding the pan in, then get my seat brackets welded in, then I'll go back & cut a hole on the inside of the heater channel, then weld the nuts back on & put the last two bolts in
As for the door, it was the hinges that were bad, I took it off & I couldn't get the hinges to move unless I used a hammer, so I took another door I had laying around & bolted it up & it closed just fine, if it was in better condition, I'd just leave it on & paint it black, but I'll hafta remove the hinges & put them on the original door
I should probably just drive the pins out of the hinges & see if I can fix them, I may give that a try before cutting the rivets that hold the hinge to the door

Ya know, when I got this car, we (my wife & I) were in dire need of a 2nd car, now that I think back to all the little things that I have had to redo over the last 2 years, I should have just tore it apart & redone everything

Hell I should just put the hinges on the back side of the doors now & get it over with, progress is slow when your project car is also your daily driver, but I'll get it done soon enough

Ron

RSS
Old April 16th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #146
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

You could probably use one of those small pumps they use for airbrushing for the bolster pump if yours is fried.
Jeff
Old April 17th, 2013, 05:31 AM   #147
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I have one of those airbrush compressor, if that's what they are called, only it uses 120V

Thanks for the idea, I wonder if one of those little compressors that you plug into a car lighter will work, I can get one for under $20

Guess I'll hafta take the passengers seat apart & see how big the air pump is, the bottom of both seats have been messed up, there is a piece of thick material that is laced up on both sides, well some one cut it & the seat sinks in when you sit in it, I cut a few pieces of 1/4" thick wood & lay them over the seat brackets, then set the seats on top of the brackets & the wood keeps the seats from dropping down
One day I'll make a new piece of thick material & sew the ends over so the rods can be pushed thru, then lace up the pieces on both sides like they were originally

Oh & BTW, I got the floor pan back in, along with the seat brackets, I lowered both seats down about 1-1/2" from were I put them originally, today I plan on painting the inside of the floor pans, then put the seats in, then see if I can fix the door hinges, lucky for me I have an extra door I can put on until I get the original door fixed, the extra door has a big hole from where I cut the outer door handle sheet metal to someone on here, & it has no window in it either, but I'll drive it until I get the door hinges fixed, if I can't fix them, then I'll hafta cut the bad hinges off the door, then remove the hinges from the extra door & bolt them to the original door

If I had a set of bear claw latches, I'd suicide the doors, it's time to save some money

Ron

RSS
Old April 17th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #148
1jarhead2
Forum Member

Looking great, love all the details and fab work
1jarhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 07:26 AM   #149
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Thank ya jarhead

I haven't even started all the detail work yet, I'm just trying to improve everything & keep it drivable, it's been a tough job trying to do that & spend as little $$ as possible

Yesterday I finished the pan, I have all the bolts in except two of the four bolts that go across the back of the body under the rear seat, the PO cut that section of the body off when he put the pan in, I thought I had that section of body from my 66 V8 Bug, but couldn't find it in my mess, so I just re-welded it until I find it, or get another piece, it can be seen in the pictures I took, maybe someone has that piece laying around somewhere, but I painted the inside floor pans yesterday afternoon, had my son set the seats inside the car late last night, I'm headed outside in a few minutes to bolt them in

Then I'm gonna start working on the door hinges, until then I have an extra door on it, it has no glass, as well as a big hole from where I cut out the door handle sheet metal out for someone on here, if I can't get the hinges fixed I'll just hafta cut the hinges off the extra door & bolt them to the original door, I'll get pics up over the weekend

Ron

RSS
Old April 18th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #150
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Good call on the portable air compressor idea.
Jeff