Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by RichG
- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3

Old May 7th, 2020, 08:56 PM   #1
DrHax
Forum Member

Default I ainít dead yet, making a truck.

Hey guys. Iíve been absent for awhile dealing with my life. The most recent is an auto accident thatís knocked my young ass out of commission.

So Iíve been recovering for over a year 15 months now. (Iíve been doing social isolation before it was COOL!)

Iíve been able to do a few things but Iím unable to work, canít stand for too long as I have no sense of balance or sense of space, so I need to use a cane to walk, and unfortunately I am not able to drive yet.

However the spark that lit up this next project is rather simple. Iím known amongst local circles as a VW guru, so somebody was trying to sell a basket case VW project thatís been sitting forever they had no title a bunch of pats and itís been sitting since 1978. Story is the couple who had it hot rodded it up and the guy was planning on making it into a drag racer but he died and it sat on blocks.

Well I didnít get that car... even though it was a 1968 thats intact with grovy vintage fiberglass fenders and VOA wood grain interior package

However I did make a deal on something else.

400 American dollars.

I inspected the engine and it turned over smoothly but the carb was locked up. Every whole was plugged up on purpose and much to my fucking amazement it has every part on it. Thermostat flaps and thermostat, all of the tin and every bolt matches!

It also has a external oil cooler and oil filter which I suspect might be aviation use. Itís beefy and solid, and I read somewhere in the past that you old timers would use aviation surplus and parts because things werenít mail order yet.

Oh it also has an iron screamer dizzy and a bugspray Holley 2110.

Itís a single port but I donít know itís CC count itís 6 volt but the block is VW replacement without any serial numbers on it. So this thing was built up by somebody knowledgeable, hence why I took the gamble.

Oh and the plan is to turn my 1968 thatís been sitting forever into a bug truck. Iím going to call it The Ant and paint it black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AD77CA17-7C69-4C30-8110-19D76176A5AB.jpg (157 Bytes, 110 views)

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2020, 09:19 PM   #2
DrHax
Forum Member

Default Re: I ainít dead yet, making a truck.

Hereís the what Iíve done so far.

Took apart the carb to see whatís going on with it. Turns out only the bottom plate is what is seized.

Hereís the photos I took of it after itís first chem bath. The bottom plate I let soaked in a stainless steel bowl of acetone and ATF.
After a few hours of working on it I got the main body of the carb cleaned up nicely and pumping cleanly. So it was pumping cleaner through it.

But I still wasnít out of the woods yet as that bottom plate was still locked up tighter than NYC. I let it soak in the red cocktail for a bit and took a rubber mallet it to and I got it freed up the butterflies began to move and I loosened up everything. Another chem bath and it cleaned up nicely. There was still the part that connects to the choke via a lever that was seized up but letting it soak over night in the ATF cocktail and a bit of percussive influencing loosened it up.

Not sparklingly clean but when I took apart the insides were remarkably clean as is. The brass float wasnít tarnished at all and no signs of gas residue. Not bad for something sitting for longer than Iíve been alive.

Old May 7th, 2020, 09:56 PM   #3
DrHax
Forum Member

Next onto the issue of it being 6volts, which I confirmed by counting the teeth on the flywheel also the coil saying 6 volt was another hint, but hey! I had to be sure due to starters. Those pesky starters having different gears for voltages and shit

Cough. Anyways the first thing I did was go parts shopping through my own pile of parts Iíve accumulated over the years and found that yes I had a thin fan attached to something that was 12 volts. Issue is it was a refurbished Motorola VW alternator.

I donít have any photos of the task of getting the original fan and generator out but I had to take a heat gun to the screws and use a wrench on my screwdriver to help ease it all as they were fuckiní rusted in there REAAAL good. Even the delicious red cocktail didnít do a damn thing to it. Also removing the intake was a pain in the ass as usual. Learned that single port isnít any easier to remove than dual port, might even be a bit harder honestly.

Well After getting it out and running up to fleetfarm to find out they have all of the metric screws in the world, I was happy to find some stainless steel replacements. I came back removed the generator stand, and turns out I donít have an alternator stand. Well I had a pile of other generator stands with oil filler attachments on them so I picked the one where you could visibly see where the oil filler pathway was (itís stamped 4b if anybody cares/ wants to tell me how rare and exotic it was)and grabbed my angle grinder.

A lot of aluminum dust with period flashes of flame with a bit of sharpie marks latter I now have an alternator stand for the low price of my time.

But Houston we got a problem. Turns out the 6 volt generator strap oddly doesnít work with the larger alternator. Who would have thunk?

However thereís a theme with this build and thatís using as little money as I possibly can. So I came up with a solution.

A bit of rusty bailing strap that was sitting outside for 4 years and a pair of vice grips and one drill bit latter with a sprinkle of nut bolt locking washer and voila!

Itís amazing how just taking a rusty file I found growing out of the dirt can make it look like a real part!

And hereís my stupid photo of me installing the 6 volt pulley onto the alternator only to realize latter that it wonít work. Only after installing a belt and having it spin itself off by rotating it of course though luckily I had a few spare pulleys around.

And hereís the fruits of my labours as they sit currently. New alternator, a 12 volt coil I dug out of the back of the part bus, a 12 volt condenser I dug out of the old SVDA dizzy that came from 1968 originally, and itís effectively converted to 12 volt. I have some parts coming in mail, mainly a 6 volt starter and sparkplug wires courtesy of oriellyís

I read on the samba you can take a 6 volt starter and swap over the 12 volt solenoid and things will be perfect? Anybody have experience with that? Never really dealt with this before.

But hey I feel accomplished for a guy recovering from a brain injury who can barely walk

Last edited by DrHax; May 7th, 2020 at 10:01 PM.
Old May 8th, 2020, 06:23 AM   #4
alykat
Site Supporter

Great to see you back and working on a project !
Old May 8th, 2020, 07:29 AM   #5
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Isnít it interesting how much a seemingly simple project take on a looong life of itís own. Guess Iím lucky thatís never happened to me. 🙄🤪
Glad to hear youíre healing and back in action!
Regarding the six volt starter in a 12 volt system; back in my days at a VW shop in the mid-70ís, one of our customers ran his six volt starter set up like you described and I donít recall any problems. Iím looking forward to reading more about this project.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2020, 11:01 AM   #6
DrHax
Forum Member

Hereís some more pictures of the engine.

Maybe a few of you old timers will recognize some of the parts or have any info on them

Oh and hereís my made via grinding alternator stand

I think it came out well

My spark plug wires and 6 volt starter arrived. Right now I have 3 twelve volt starters soaking in the red cocktail to see if I can remove the solenoids if not Iíll declare fuck it and just buy a new one.

Any advice on removing the solenoids from the starters? Would it be okay to apply a heat gun to it?

Old May 8th, 2020, 12:30 PM   #7
DrHax
Forum Member

Great news I decided to go check on the 1968 after itís been sitting for 6 years now? Much to my surprise itís actually A okay and hasnít gotten any rustier!

Old May 8th, 2020, 02:23 PM   #8
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Maybe itís not any rustier due to the, um, Ďprotective coating.í😉🙄😃😃
Old May 8th, 2020, 02:39 PM   #9
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
Maybe itís not any rustier due to the, um, Ďprotective coating.í😉🙄😃😃
Hey what ever it is I ainít knocking it. I live in Minnesota where thereís rust free cars! ITS RUST FREE! The rust comes free with the car! No addition cost!

Old May 8th, 2020, 03:40 PM   #10
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

The ATF/Acetone cocktail is great for "right this minute" once you mix it/shake it up... the ATF is pretty good on it's own... but when you leave it sitting, it separates, and becomes a different cocktail... It takes a little while but an hour of sitting and the stuff is usually pretty separated...

Acetone in and of itself is great for what you're doing, with the exception of how fast it tends to evaporate... The ATF is thin and penetrates places fairly well, so what you're doing is thinning it a little more with the acetone and once in, it works it's magic (Acetone breaking down gunk and ATF Lubricating the area) and makes it easier to move seized screws and stuff... So Soaking is OK generally due to the fact that the separation floats the ATF on the Acetone(I believe)... Still a good mix though... anything that helps is a plus with old, seized parts.
Old May 8th, 2020, 04:31 PM   #11
DrHax
Forum Member

The screws arenít coming out and the flat heads are stripping so I am debating on just drilling out the screw heads and removing the solenoid that way.

Opinions?

Old May 8th, 2020, 06:30 PM   #12
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Drilling them out will likely save you a lot of time. Afterward if you want you can soak whatís left of the screws with a penetrating oil. Do this for a while and you mightíve able to get whatís left later. A few taps with a hammer and punch canít hurt either way.
Old May 9th, 2020, 09:31 AM   #13
marnat3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Hey Hax, this ad just popped up on MN craigslist.Might have stuff you need for your current project.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/c...121339787.html
Old May 9th, 2020, 10:40 AM   #14
DrHax
Forum Member

Wish I could but my family is anti bug part right now. Hence why Iím kinda scrambling to get shit done. Hell its hard even arguing for a busted transmission to make a engine test stand out of!

Old May 9th, 2020, 10:46 AM   #15
marnat3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Old May 9th, 2020, 11:03 AM   #16
DrHax
Forum Member

Going to start welding so I brought out the most important things!

My millermatic 135 and my homemade boombox.

Gotta have your tunes. And my boombox holds all of my music it can also play DVDS and has WiFi and Bluetooth and it can charge my phone

Old May 9th, 2020, 01:39 PM   #17
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Wow, thatís cool. Does it have a name?🤔😀😷
Old May 9th, 2020, 04:05 PM   #18
DrHax
Forum Member

Sadly the boom box doesnít have a name. Itís just been My stereo

From 2 ive been working away. First off the Millermatic works great with fluxcore. But as youíll see what Iím welding isnít that great.
First problem was getting a ground.

But a dollar store crowbar did the trick! Also I needed a brush but I looked down and found this growing out of the ground

Worked a treat, also I had to realign the upper with the bottom so I wedged in the crowbar
This was a one handed affair as I had to apply pressure to the crowbar while welding to keep it aligned. It wasnít perfect but fuck it.

The task ahead.

Now we get to the Ďfuní part.

Fluxcore isnít pretty but it doesnít give a fuck what itís welding.

We have sleet coming because itís Minnesota and itís Ďspringí so I had to quickly grind down the welds on the door frame.

But the door actually shuts nicely now!

Old May 11th, 2020, 07:44 AM   #19
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Back in 1994 I switched my 66 Bug to 12 volts, I just left the 6 volt starter in and it worked fine solenoid and all, I can't remember how long it lasted, when I crashed that Bug I put the engine in my rail buggy, I know I ended up replacing the starter eventually, but only because of it being parked outside year round I'm pretty sure the water is what ruined it

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2020, 11:23 AM   #20
DrHax
Forum Member

No turning back now!

Old May 11th, 2020, 01:01 PM   #21
DrHax
Forum Member

Look ma! No roof!

Old May 11th, 2020, 02:02 PM   #22
V8Transporter
Forum Member

You going to go for the Ďstepside, or the ĎFleet side look?
Old May 11th, 2020, 03:29 PM   #23
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
You going to go for the Ďstepside, or the ĎFleet side look?
Iím thinking fleet side as the truck will have a flat bed and rails. Also making it flat on the sides allows me to extend the rear out to give me even more room.

I donít think that rear visibility will be an issue

A quick mock up to see how Iím going to approach this. I think the best and easiest way is to find something which I can weld across the body at the height I want the rear window to sit. Cut off the vents leaving that flat shelf underneath then putting the puzzle together.

I just need to find some bit of long steel lying on the property that I can use thereís a bed frame rail but I want to use that as a structural part of the bed.

I guess Iíll grab my cane and go for a walk see what I can find growing out of the ground.

Old May 11th, 2020, 05:25 PM   #24
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Rear window looks slick!
Old May 11th, 2020, 06:45 PM   #25
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Rear window looks slick!
I think itís going to come out nicely. I have yet to see a bug truck use the stock rear glass in such a manner.

Also for the bed Iím going to be repurposing shelving i got from back when I was working at Walmart. It was from the tire and lub center and I think each shelf was rated for 350 pounds. It came from the pit and they were just tossing it out so I grabbed it all. Stuff is from the 1980ís.

I think itís going to be perfect truck bed material.