Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,418
Total Online: 224

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by Bugula
- by f4u5t
- by Bugula

Old February 27th, 2013, 03:48 AM   #26
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: My newest VW, the "Fire Bug"

Got myself some Recaro seats, gonna put them in the V-Rod, & they are heated, now I'll have heat

They have a buncha buttons on them, but the only ones I need to know is how to turn the heat on, the others can wait

They shouldn't be to bad to install

Ron

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; September 11th, 2014 at 08:04 AM.
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #27
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

So I put one of the seats in my V-Rod, oh how I like the heat, from the seat, I think I put it in this past Tuesday (3-5-2013)

I also finally got around to putting on my rear disc brake set-up, & it stops nice & fast now
It's been a long time, but I started modifying parts from a Honda Accord's rear disk brakes to fit my V-Rodz rear

Some pictures of the seat first

A few pictures of my disc brake set-up before, during, & after installation

Had to machine a bit off the caliper brackets until the caliper was centered over the rotor with brake pads in

& that's how ya make rear disc brakes from a Honda fit a VW Bug, any questions

It makes a great difference in stopping

Ron

RSS

Old July 24th, 2013, 03:25 AM   #28
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Made a few changes on the V-Rod, I went to adjust the valves, couldn't get the dadgum valve covers off because of the exhaust, so I took it off & put my tri-mill header, think that's what it was called when I bought it for my rail buggy

I put the deck lid back on that had the hole cut in it, I started cutting away at it a bit more so the exhaust pipes don't touch it, & it will close all the way
I also hafta say, the header I put on added at least 8 to 10 horses, it' really has some low end power now, hafta see what it'll do on the highway

A friend gave me a rear apron he cut off the back of a super, he got rid of the Super, I need to get a picture of his 70 convertible Bug, it's nice

Anyway, I hope to get the roof chopped before the 2nd weekend in September, because the last weekend of September is the VW Porsche show, that gives me a bit less than 2 weeks to put the glass in & throw a bit of touch-up paint in it

I also decided to use some Oldsmobile rally wheels on it, two 15" by 7-1/2" wide on the rear, & two 14" by 6" wide on the front, I just need to buy the tires for the front wheels

A picture of the exhaust & deck lid, the 2ns pic is of the wheels I'm gonna use

I only have a few days left to do some minor work, I guess I say it's gonna be low & slow, the slow it me & the work

I wish I had that much energy

Ron

RSS

Old July 29th, 2013, 06:15 AM   #29
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Here's a few pictures after I got it finished & ready for the show the local car show yesterday, it was their 24th annual show, the weather was beautiful, most years it's really hot out in the mid 90's with a feels like temp of 105, ended up with over 500 cars in the show, record turn out

Here is what it looks like now after the deck lid & exhaust change, painted the wheels, still have the VW wheels up front, but as soon as I get a tire to match the one I have I'm gonna put the matching wheels on the back up front

No I didn't do that burn out, my son who likes the spend money on tires did that]

Here it is with the matching front wheel sitting like it's on the car

Now to see if I can chop the top before the last weekend in September, wish me luck

Ron

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; September 11th, 2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:30 AM   #30
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

So it looks like I won't be chopping the top like I wanted to, I had other developments arise that are much more important than the top

A while back I had a caliper on the rear start leaking, so I put the drum brakes back on, I need to do some modifications so I can mount the disc brake E-Brake handle inside the car, gonna hafta remove the street & all that. Then a few weeks ago I decided to put the drum on the other side so I had an E-Brake, well after a few weeks the wheel cylinder started leaking, bough two new wheel cylinders for the back
Then I decided to raise the rear suspension back to stock, I had a complete rear suspension setup, so I removed everything, trailing arms, spring plates, & torsion bars, painted everything black
I started the drivers side Thursday July 1, I just finished the drivers side yesterday, bolted in the axle CV & bled the brakes
Today I'm a start on the passengers side, I sure hope I can get it finished tomorrow

Once I get everything back together I;m gonna lower the rear with spring plate blocks or plates, whatever they are called, once I get it lowered where I like it, I'll make a set of custom spring plates & weld them to the torsion bar tubes, then, I may just cut the roof off & support the body & pan, then drive it with the no top until I decide to put it back
Hell maybe I'll just make it a removable steel top

As always, a few pictures, nothing exciting, just painted parts

Oh yeah, almost forgot, I found the chrome trim rings for my wheels, now I need to put the 5 pieces that go around the little holes in the wheels, & get some pics
Then, I'm a get to work on some custom center caps

Ron

RSS

Old September 26th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #31
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: My newest VW, AKA the "Fire Bug"

Well it looks like tomorrow I should have a matched set of 4 wheels on the V-Rod, they are off a 74 & 78 Olds Cutlass, the 74's are 15" by 7" wide they go on the rear, I just need to mount larger diameter tires on it, I doubt I get those tires switched around, but I do get a matching set of 14" tires for the front, those wheels are only 6" wide

I almost have my beam adjusters in, I have the bottom tube finished, tomorrow I hope I'm able to cut & weld in the top adjuster, then bolt it on the car, but then again I may get it finished, I should go out to the shop & work on it tonight

I can't remember if I ever posted a picture of the V-Rod with the matching wheels on it (at least on the drivers side) I just can't get the bead to pop & seal with my worn out compressor, so I'll get that done tomorrow

It should look better with 3" taller tires on the rear, that is if I have time to change them, & get the adjusters on & set where I like it

Ron

RSS

Old November 5th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #32
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Today I spent an hour, or a bit longer replacing my master cylinder, just put a new one on almost 2 years ago, but it started leaking out from the bore

Last Sunday I ordered one from So Cal Imports which said it was made for disc brake conversions, so it has a larger bore in the front brake circuit, or possibly the entire bore is larger in case one puts disc brakes on the rear as well

So now my the "Fire Bugz" stops so fast that you hafta pull your teeth out of the dash board

I also got my milling machine hooked up, tamed in the head, mounted the vise & it's just the flip of a switch away from making chips
The first project it to make a set of drop plates for the spring plate & trailing arm connection, I just cut off 2 pieces 6" by 7" so I can lower it down 3-1/2" total, I just hope I can get them finished tomorrow, I have 3 different end mill holders so far, one - 1/2" holder, one - 3/4" holder, & one 7/8" holder, I have 2 other blank end mill holders to finish, I plan on making one 3/8" holder & one 5/8" holder, I just need to ream the 3/8" & 5/8" holes, then finish turning the taper on them
I'll get pictures tomorrow, I just hope I can get them finished with no real problems with the machine, but it's time to find out now that I have it wired up & working

Ron

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; September 11th, 2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old December 11th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #33
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Forgetting to update my build page

So it's been lowered front & rear, I put protection on the rear after almost getting hit in the ass end, I used the rear cage from my Rail Buggy & modified it to fit the V-Rod, I hope tomorrow to get a trailer hitch modified to fit & get it tac welded in place so I can have my son weld it on when he gets back home this weekend
I need a way to pull my trailer, it's been sitting since January 2008 with no way to pull it & I have been slowly cleaning out my garage/shop & have a nice pile of steel scrap I need to get rid of, as well as a few thousand aluminum cans, & since the place I take my cans to is close to my friends place who has a nice large compressor for me I hope to pick it up as well now that I'll have a way to haul stuff again, plus a trailer is a bit cheaper than buying a truck

Before the drop plates

After installing the drop plates & also put on taller rear tires
The drop plates I made lowered the rear about 4 inches

Rear cage/bumper, the white speckles in this picture is snow, I'd rather work in the snow than the rain

Ron

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; September 11th, 2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old August 11th, 2014, 12:59 PM   #34
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I cut the deck lid off to keep water from getting into the air cleaners, I'm using one from my 66 Bug & one a friend gave me, I had to cut the snout off the one I had to match the one that was given to me, I just know that when it rains water has to get in them, I checked them a few times & so far no water has gotten in them, but I don't wanna wait until it does

I'm gonna need to weld a piece of metal on where I cut it off so it doesn't get bend up every time I open it, it's a bit flimsy the way it is, but it will work for the next 10 days until I have the time to fix it right, I may even cut the bottom of it so it has a nice curve, I'll decide that when I get to it

Ron

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; September 11th, 2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old September 11th, 2014, 08:01 AM   #35
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Fixed everything when I mounted this on the hood

Ron

RSS